Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Cause it still suffers from RJ's late book writing style where you get 5 pages of descriptions of types of lacquerware for every 1 page of plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

crepeface posted:

everything was good except the [...] forsaken scenes
You must be a moon alien from a different dimension. The Forsaken are the best part of both the books and the show.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Actually Mat is the best part of the books.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

JOHN SKELETON posted:

You must be a moon alien from a different dimension. The Forsaken are the best part of both the books and the show.

it's pretty hard to make compelling mysterious bad guy archetypes at the best of times, let alone when book readers know how dumb they and their plans are.

also:

Invalid Validation posted:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DTurtle posted:

Man, this episode was just amazing from beginning to end.

I absolutely loved the small collar ring becoming the large over the shoulder collar, leash and bracelet. Such a cool sci-fi magic nanotech thing.

We were all thinking too „normal“ as to how that thing could be put on or off.

You weren't thinking about the a'dam correctly if you thought it was meant to come off.

Goofballs posted:

Not sure about Lanfear's Maleficent make over and crucifying Rand in the dream.

He wasn't crucified. He's literally bound to the Wheel. Lanfear is making a point.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jedit posted:

You weren't thinking about the a'dam correctly if you thought it was meant to come off.

It is meant to come off.

Once they've used that damane until her death. No reason to waste a perfectly good a'dam!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well then you just cut her head off, easy peasy

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I've been thinking about how to show the Cleansing. Sit Rand and Nynaeve down, point heat lamps at them, feed them 20 cups of coffee, and make them stay put for 6 hours then start filming at the last 20 minutes.

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

WELL. That was something. What a fabulous episode. Clapped my hands with glee when Aviendha turned up and introduced herself :3:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Has the show explicitly stated yet that nobody is so far gone to the Dark that they cannot return to the Light?

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Grundulum posted:

Has the show explicitly stated yet that nobody is so far gone to the Dark that they cannot return to the Light?

I think Ingtar hinted at that when Perrin asked why they were taking the time to bury known darkfriends, but I don't recall anyone using that exact phrasing.

One thing I am noticing, though, with the culling of characters is that almost every named Aes Sedai is going to be Black Ajah if they stick to the books. So I'm guessing they're gonna have to change that up somehow, or it'll end up being everyone they run into is a darkfriend.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
To be fair it kind of explains why this massive organization of wizards is pretty useless.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Morrow posted:

To be fair it kind of explains why this massive organization of wizards is pretty useless.

Also yknow . . Whitecloaks had a point

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also yknow . . Whitecloaks had a point

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CuriousSymptoms posted:

WELL. That was something. What a fabulous episode. Clapped my hands with glee when Aviendha turned up and introduced herself :3:

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Torrannor posted:

I generally like CoT, but I can understand everybody who thinks it's a slog, as well as quite large stretches of 7-9. But KoD has a ton of stuff happening, and a lot of plot threads being resolved, I'm honestly surprised somebody would call it "75% annoying fluff".

There's a lot of stuff in those books that could be condensed quite a bit and still keep some really good bits. Mat really starts to come into his own, Rand goes through a lot of dark poo poo, Nynaeve and Egwene have a lot of development but you could still dump a bunch and get all of that.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Invalid Validation posted:

Mat beating up the boys, after rising from his sickbed, specifically.

Thom stacking bodies while being too old for this poo poo is the best part of the Sanderson books.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hootin' and hollerin' for aviendha

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Rarity posted:

Galad is this guy

This actor would make a great child of Liandrin's. Just look at those cheekbones!

Or he could be a relative of this guy

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I assume this show is dipping in to (and possibly depleting) some sort of national strategic reserves of jawlines.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The show is just as horny as the books, but instead of hair pulling and spanking it's for the female gaze.

But why male models?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Morrow posted:

The show is just as horny as the books, but instead of hair pulling and spanking it's for the female gaze.

But why male models?

There was a lot of that in the books too, though. Admiring calves and eyebrows and bottoms and all that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

“He imagined he would find him attractive, if he were a woman”

Lot of that

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Data Graham posted:

“He imagined he would find him attractive, if he were a woman”

I swear to god we'd better get pansexual Mat

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
The TV series is making me seriously interested in doing a re-read.

Though the series is doing such a good job with the characters I have a feeling the book versions would disappoint me.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The TV show is extremely good at capturing the spirit of the characters, so it's kind of like a distilled version of them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rarity posted:

I swear to god we'd better get pansexual Mat

They've apparently cast a dude as aludra so signs are lookin good

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They've apparently cast a dude as aludra so signs are lookin good

Aludran was Liandrin's 90 year old son, not genderbent Aludra

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

pik_d posted:

Aludran was Liandrin's 90 year old son, not genderbent Aludra

Tbf he could also be genderbent Aludra, we don't know

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The decision to name him aludran baffles me. They could have named him anything but they went for a name 1 letter off another character despite renaming a warder for being too similar to another character

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nihilarian posted:

The decision to name him aludran baffles me. They could have named him anything but they went for a name 1 letter off another character despite renaming a warder for being too similar to another character
If they're not having aludra on it at all it could have been a pump fake or just a nod to the character

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

CainFortea posted:

If they're not having aludra on it at all it could have been a pump fake or just a nod to the character

I really hope it's just them trolling us, his name was never said on screen, and I really like Aludra.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nihilarian posted:

You say this as if the source material doesn't have Siuan and Seaine and Saerin and Shiaine

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Colonel Cool posted:

Non book-reading wife's predictions after the latest episode.

- Nynaeve and Elayne save Egwene.
- Everyone meets back up.
- Rand tricks Lanfear, for a little bit.
- Min decides not to betray Mat, but too late.
- Liandrin betrays the Dark in a grand self-sacrifice.
- Rand gets together with Egwene, Lanfear hears about it and goes sicko mode on both of them.
- Ishamael betrays Suroth.
- Perrin struggles with wolf/human stuff and has to make a choice between them, probably only choosing wolf if he loses too much.
- Maybe one day Egwene will stop being a background character.
- Lan struggles between choosing Moiraine or becoming Nynaeve's warder, Moiraine eventually pushes him to go to Nynaeve.
- Moiraine probably doesn't get her powers back.
- Moiraine gets her entire family brutally killed.
- Rand learns to control the One Power without going crazy and becomes a men's rights activist.
- Mat continues to make a string of terrible decisions, but remains pathetic and loveable.
- Verin dies at some point, probably sacrificing herself.
- Perrin and Aviendha get together while he feels guilty about his dead wife, but eventually leaves her because he's convinced that she needs to be protected from him.

Please keep doing these. They're wonderful. What I bolded? Amazing.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Rarity posted:

You say this as if the source material doesn't have Siuan and Seaine and Saerin and Shiaine
i'm talking about the show's willingness to rename characters to improve clarity, not the book's willingness to be confusing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That character's name wasn't spoken anyway.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nihilarian posted:

Liandrin and Aludra are both from Tarabon. How many names do we have in this world that are genderflipped by adding a letter? It's a nod to the books, and it does suggest that Aludra won't be included, but it's not dumb.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Who? I'm not familiar with that character in the Wheel of Time show. Must have been a bit role or something.

Peter Franzén ... Stepin 3 episodes, 2021

Alexandre Willaume ... Thom Merrilin 2 episodes, 2021

:trumppop:

I'll hang up and listen.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Jedit posted:

Liandrin and Aludra are both from Tarabon. How many names do we have in this world that are genderflipped by adding a letter? It's a nod to the books, and it does suggest that Aludra won't be included, but it's not dumb.

If this is the case, and I don't think it is, it's the clumsiest, most pointless "nod" they could possibly have done. I'd be more likely to believe it if she'd mentioned him being an Illuminator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
My new head canon is that Ishamael is ace because all he cares about is ending the world and he has no time for love.