Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
mine hasn't shipped yet either, but I did place it at like the last minute of the sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
As usual, complaining about it on a message board online fixed the problem and the shipping notification just went out. I'm keen for my trash!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
My VinSyn sale order just went out a couple of days ago, along with an order from that other website with combined shipping, and then also Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 which I didn't combine shipping on but still got thrown into the other shipment. I mean, I'm not complaining but I kinda got charged double for shipping only for them to combine everything anyways.

e: I guess I should clarify, when I bought TCM2, combining shipping wasn't even given to me as an option

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Severin preorders announced:

Count Dracula 4K+Bluray, restored from the uncut camera negative found earlier this year (also includes the 2017 documentary Dracula Barcelona)
Directed by Pere Portabella double-feature of Cuadecuc Vampir and Umbracle
Doctor Butcher MD, and the uncut unedited original version of it, Zombie Holocaust double-feature 4K+Bluray

Example of the Count Dracula restoration, prior "HD" releases

The restoration

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 16, 2023

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Kino has a person who posts on the BR forums, according to them Face/Off is set for december. So is the man who wasn't there 3D, which I'm jazzed for in terms of 3D content, and less so that it's an 80s steve gutenberg flick.

wicked duck
Sep 2, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

Kino has a person who posts on the BR forums, according to them Face/Off is set for december.

Finally! I’ve been wondering about this one for awhile. Day one for sure.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I've had the experience before so last night I let my visiting mum unpack the VinSyn box. I repacked it for the all-important Middle Aged Nerd poo poo Forum photo.

I am glad that there was no smut this time around.

We watched For Madmen Only. Great film! Followed by an archived live-with-commercials copy of SNL (Steve Martin/Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, S14E20, 1989.05.20) and then last night's broadcast current-season rerun of Ana de Armas/Karol G. A Good Saturday night.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Hey, my shipment came in too! I have yet to watch any but I'm already making plans for future movie nights as well as which ones we want to watch outside of our weekly cycle. I'm extremely stoked for "I Do Not Care If We Go Down In History As Barbarians" as well as Petey Wheatstraw.

It was funny, I accidentally bought an extra Rudy Ray Moore box without the movies in it and they put some of the films we ordered inside the spare.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

It was funny, I accidentally bought an extra Rudy Ray Moore box without the movies in it and they put some of the films we ordered inside the spare.

Mr E posted:

Just got a notification that the box, Dolemite, and Disco Godfather weren't actually in stock so I guess I get two of Rudy Ray Moore's movies and nothing else, not very happy with that.

You two should get together.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

as well as Petey Wheatstraw.

It’s great, I watched it on some streaming service and it’s what convinced me to pick up the whole set. It’s a comedy but just horror-ish enough to count for the October challenge if you’ll be participating in that.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I just realized that North By Northwest isn't included in any of the recent Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collections in 4K making it the one movie included in my Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection that isn't. Hopefully it gets released soon but I guess a regular rear end blu ray will be a suitable replacement in the meantime

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Happy Hippo posted:

I just realized that North By Northwest isn't included in any of the recent Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collections in 4K making it the one movie included in my Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection that isn't. Hopefully it gets released soon but I guess a regular rear end blu ray will be a suitable replacement in the meantime

Isn’t that a rights thing? It was a non-Universal release?

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
So, thanks to this article, I learned I've been living near video store haven for several years and never knew.

I went down today and it's pretty incredible. They had Time After Time playing, a guy was talking about flamethrowers, they have VHS to rent, they actually also rent the special feature discs... Yeah, it felt like home.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Hey, my shipment came in too! I have yet to watch any but I'm already making plans for future movie nights as well as which ones we want to watch outside of our weekly cycle. I'm extremely stoked for "I Do Not Care If We Go Down In History As Barbarians" as well as Petey Wheatstraw.

Be curious to know what you think of Detention! I mostly dug it but it has some problems

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Happy Hippo posted:

North by Northwest was the only film Hitchcock made for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer and it's currently owned by Warner Bros. (via Turner Entertainment).

Warner and Universal worked out a deal where Warner was able to include Spartacus in a Kubrick Blu-ray box set and Universal was able to include North by Northwest in their Hitchcock box.

Warner also owns two RKO films (Suspicion and Mr. & Mrs. Smith), as well as all but two of the films he made for WB (Stage Fright, Strangers on a Train, I Confess, Dial M for Murder, and The Wrong Man). Hitchcock bought back the rights to Rope in the 70s from United Artists Television when they owned the pre-1950 Warner catalog and Under Capricorn ended up with a small group of films that went to KingsWorld, then CBS, and eventually Paramount.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Snapshot is so good and should be the catalyst for anyone who watches it to check out more Ozploitation

(buy Body Melt)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Body Melt rules

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Egbert Souse posted:

North by Northwest was the only film Hitchcock made for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer and it's currently owned by Warner Bros. (via Turner Entertainment).

Warner and Universal worked out a deal where Warner was able to include Spartacus in a Kubrick Blu-ray box set and Universal was able to include North by Northwest in their Hitchcock box.

Warner also owns two RKO films (Suspicion and Mr. & Mrs. Smith), as well as all but two of the films he made for WB (Stage Fright, Strangers on a Train, I Confess, Dial M for Murder, and The Wrong Man). Hitchcock bought back the rights to Rope in the 70s from United Artists Television when they owned the pre-1950 Warner catalog and Under Capricorn ended up with a small group of films that went to KingsWorld, then CBS, and eventually Paramount.

Thank you for this comprehensive reply

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
KL is releasing the conformist in nov, but it's BD only.

I think I'll wait, someone somewhere will do something with that 4k restoration..wild that they give burt reynolds movies UHDs and not this one.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Conformist-Blu-ray/dp/B0CJ5X3YPY

quote:

Special Features and Technical Specs:
DISC ONE:
NEW 4K RESTORATION FROM THE ORIGINAL CAMERA NEGATIVE BY CINETECA DI BOLOGNA in collaboration with Minerva Pictures under the supervision of Fondazione Bernardo Bertolucci
NEW Audio Commentary by Film Critic Bilge Ebiri
NEW Interview with Valentina Ricciardelli, president of the Bernardo Bertolucci Foundation
2023 Re-Release Trailer
DISC TWO:
Includes the 2011 HD restoration of The Conformist created in collaboration with the Cineteca di Bologna, Vittorio Storaro and Bernardo Bertolucci
In the Shade of the Conformist (57 min)
Original 1970 U.S. Theatrical Trailer
2014 Re-Release Trailer

Also apparently the Dr. Caligari UHD went from "coming soon" to "yeah we don't know if we wanna do that"..which is fine by me since eureka is already on top of it.

e2: OK, so the italians did it already, eagle video has a 4k with english subs available. Slight wrinkle, it came with a small audio sync error, which they corrected in a v2 sku, so heads up there.
I might import this one if there's no arrow version..it's also SDR if anyone cares about HDR

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 18, 2023

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Since I love to double post:

Orbit is having a sale (first one?) but the prices don't reflect the 35% discount until you put them in the cart which is..fun

https://www.orbitdvd.com/collections/20th-anniversary-sale-35-off-select-titles/4k-uhd?sort_by=price-ascending

Nothing too crazy, but if you were looking for a few sevrin films they are a little cheaper then anywhere else and this place ships 3+ orders free so it's not a terrible move.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Del Toro's Pinocchio getting a 4k Criterion release in December. That's an instant buy for me, I've been adding some other stop-motion stuff to my collection recently and Pinocchio is one of the best.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Basebf555 posted:

Del Toro's Pinocchio getting a 4k Criterion release in December. That's an instant buy for me, I've been adding some other stop-motion stuff to my collection recently and Pinocchio is one of the best.

I thought junk head was fun and worth picking up the US BD, if you liked mad god..I think the previous releases must not have had the english sub track (they speak like a gibberish language) because a lot of reviews I saw mentioned not knowing what was being said. Its got more of a "story" than mad god, and a bit more of a humor undercoat that looks aardman inspired

e: its also on amazon for rent at a much lower buy in, but i think the BD was about 17 when I bought it, will probably go lower over time.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 18, 2023

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

Nice, Criterion doesn't have nearly enough animation in their catalog and that's a good one. It's not one of my favorite Del Toro films but the character/creature design and animation are fantastic.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

Yeah I’ve been waiting to see this one ever since I missed the 2 screenings that were available to me about 4 hours away from me for one week last year. gently caress you netflix. Looking forward to finally seeing it.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

zer0spunk posted:

Orbit is having a sale (first one?) but the prices don't reflect the 35% discount until you put them in the cart which is..fun

https://www.orbitdvd.com/collections/20th-anniversary-sale-35-off-select-titles/4k-uhd?sort_by=price-ascending

Nothing too crazy, but if you were looking for a few sevrin films they are a little cheaper then anywhere else and this place ships 3+ orders free so it's not a terrible move.

Hell yeah, Drive has been on my list forever, it's an easy lay-up if you're into cheesy action movies, and I also snagged Drowning by Numbers. I saw about half of The Cook The Thief HWAHL by the same director and it felt like gazing into hell. Don't know anything about Drowning but we'll see how it lands for me

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

gey muckle mowser posted:

Nice, Criterion doesn't have nearly enough animation in their catalog and that's a good one. It's not one of my favorite Del Toro films but the character/creature design and animation are fantastic.

This is how I feel too, very well done from a technical standpoint, but I don’t feel any need to ever rewatch it. My local museum was actually doing an exhibit about GDT’s Pinocchio that I caught right before it ended over the weekend, and it was extremely cool and interesting seeing all the sets and puppets and behind the scenes stuff of what went into making the movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ibexaz posted:

Hell yeah, Drive has been on my list forever, it's an easy lay-up if you're into cheesy action movies, and I also snagged Drowning by Numbers. I saw about half of The Cook The Thief HWAHL by the same director and it felt like gazing into hell. Don't know anything about Drowning but we'll see how it lands for me

still haven't seen Drowning by Numbers but The Draughtsman's Contract and A Zed and Two Noughts by that same director are great

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Just watched Welcome Home Brother Charles, and, umm, what the gently caress. Also lol.

It's one of those movies you want to tell people to watch completely blind, but it'd be hard to sell them on it without giving away the best part. It was fine up until that point, but I seriously was on the brink of falling asleep until that moment happened. Then I was wide awake.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Psychical media will never die

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
VS’s pre-Black Friday pre-sale preorder sale is this Friday

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Del Toro's Pinocchio getting a 4k Criterion release in December.

Gripweed posted:

VS’s pre-Black Friday pre-sale preorder sale is this Friday

:rubby: yeah definitely glad I cancelled my this-month's-VS order to save money now

Time to see what that 10-film set is :getin:

pwn
May 27, 2004

VS has gotten enough from me this year. I got some Criterions and other DVDs to buy. And that third 'Cock set.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
That poo poo owns, CP

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

zer0spunk posted:

You fuckers and your God drat sale posts. I'm now awaiting supercop, dragons forever, and last star fighter. I did back out of also getting pitch black (wasn't sure about the quality and if I really did need it or not) but 3 movies for 70 bucks is pretty sweet.

pwn
May 27, 2004

lol that movies you could not have paid me to watch on dvd 20 years ago are now commanding $34.99 on UHD

Like, i was literally paid to watch movies, in a sense; I worked at a video store in 2003 and we played movies in the store in between those goddamned preview tapes. I would have never put on a Vin Diesel movie. I'd watch Catch Me if You Can or Master and Commander for the Nth time first.

Edit: Yes Master and Commander did not street until April 20 2004, but i was still working there then and lord did i put that one on a lot

pwn fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 19, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

pwn posted:

lol that movies you could not have paid me to watch on dvd 20 years ago are now commanding $34.99 on UHD

Like, i was literally paid to watch movies, in a sense; I worked at a video store in 2003 and we played movies in the store in between those goddamned preview tapes. I would have never put on a Vin Diesel movie. I'd watch Catch Me if You Can or Master and Commander for the Nth time first.

This is a very bad post. Pitch Black is excellent

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Gripweed posted:

pre-Black Friday pre-sale preorder sale

ok this is getting ridiculous

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

pwn posted:

Edit: Yes Master and Commander did not street until April 20 2004, but i was still working there then and lord did i put that one on a lot

Oh man. On the one hand, you are going to hate yourself for depriving yourself of Pitch Black for 20 years for no good reason. But on the other hand, you get to watch Pitch Black for the first time!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Pitch Black kicks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mr E posted:

Pitch Black kicks rear end