Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

xbilkis posted:

This is really the first time I can remember Fields being bad in this specific way. Not that he hasn't been hesitant to let it rip when he's had open guys in the past, but if there was one thing you could count on him to reliably do in the back half of last season, it's bail out of the pocket when it starts to collapse on him (assuming it didn't happen within .5 seconds of the snap). If you showed me this frame and asked me to predict what Fields was gonna do next:

I would definitely expect him to try to hit a spin move away from the guy being blocked by #65 and scramble out to the right side of the field where there's plenty of room to pick up positive yardage. Just running straight into the middle of a collapsing o-line to eat a sack is a weird regression.

Feels like the product of coaching that's trying to prioritize exhausting every option to find an open receiver over bailing on a play early and making something happen with your legs, which is just telling him to do something he's bad at instead of something he's good at and ends up with him short-circuiting and playing even worse than before

The thing is, as visible from the all 22, he had three different completely unguarded targets. He didn't look at any of them. He was locked onto the first target, who never got open, so he ran straight into the pile. He had a receiver walking into the end zone, a running back on the right flat, and a receiver five yards up on the left sideline all wide open with no defender near them. Instead of looking at any of those, he's staring at a crossing WR who was essentially triple covered in the zone.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Fields has been, and always will be, a bad NFL quarterback.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Herbie doesnt play defense.

settling for field goals (esp late) isn't winner behavior

sweet thursday posted:

Herbie is just a more handsome Kirk Cousins at this point

and less corny but this is a solid comparison

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm buying the Texans as a real team next year. Stroud has looked incredibly solid for a rookie. Demeco Ryans impressed as a defensive play caller in week one as well. And everyone on the defense was buying in, playing with purpose, with Will Anderson looking like a legit dude.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mcmagic posted:

NY media throwing bouquets at the dogshit fraudulent Giants for coming back and beating only the slightly worse Cards just as expected.

look I hate the Giants more than anyone but for that road comeback they deserve at least a few flowers if not a full bouquet. and boy does it make me mad to acknowledge that

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Stroud looks like he might be an actual starting nfl qb. Can’t say if he’s like a borderline dude like Fitzmagic or what but it is encouraging especially on a truly awful Texans roster

Stroud freaking owns

I’m so happy to see his accuracies translate so nicely (so far)

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

indigi posted:

look I hate the Giants more than anyone but for that road comeback they deserve at least a few flowers if not a full bouquet. and boy does it make me mad to acknowledge that

The Giants deserve less than nothing. They were down 3 scores to an actively tanking team at the half.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Kalli posted:

There is some serious blood in the water on Fields now. This play with the two alternate angles is just... whew

https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/1703796356874129879

man even the absolute safest punk-rear end decision to just dump it off to #15 would have been so easy and would have resulted in a couple of yards if nothing else, how could he not have just done that at a bare minimum. he literally pumps twice to him lol

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

epic bacon posted:

man even the absolute safest punk-rear end decision to just dump it off to #15 would have been so easy and would have resulted in a couple of yards if nothing else, how could he not have just done that at a bare minimum. he literally pumps twice to him lol

Only thing I can come up with is he honestly believed he was going to house it himself before running straight into a wall.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

Flowers had 4 catches for 62 yards with one of them being a 52 yarder. So his other three catches got 10 yards total. Right now we're not doing very well with him, but he is still clearly very talented. But I think we are in better hands under Monken than under Roman for improving this kind of thing. I'll wait till midseason before I get too angry about it.

There's suddenly a lot of mouths to feed on offense. I think they're working Flowers in pretty well - he is a rookie, but Lamar obviously likes throwing to him already. He ran a nice fade yesterday that should have been 20+ yards but Lamar overthrew him.

Monken keeps trying these tunnel screens to Flowers but the problem is that Bateman is kind of dogshit at blocking. any kind of thing that requires good WR blocking, be it those screens or the jet sweeps or whatever, usually ends with whoever Bateman was supposed to block. I really like Bateman as an actual receiver but I wish he put up more of a fight against DBs

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The Giants deserve less than nothing. They were down 3 scores to an actively tanking team at the half.

Gannon and the Cardinals are terrible, but players and coaches absolutely don't tank

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Flowers for Kawalimus

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I think Fields has had most of the good coached out of him and how worst habits reinforced because the Bears have no idea what they’re doing, and now he’s probably irreparably broken.

fsif posted:

Guess all that stuff in the pre-draft about Fields being a one-read QB were right.

Fields wasn’t a 1 read QB in college. Like 70% or this throws went to someone other than his first read. There were concerns about the speed at which he went through progressions and the fact that the OSU offense was just built really differently than all the stuff teams are doing in the NFL.

He also had plenty of time to in the pocket at OSU and he got to throw to two first round picks. He’s literally got worse offensive talent around him in the NFL than he did in college. All of that makes the bad stuff much worse.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

LOL. Watching the condensed version of Chiefs/Jags and on the first drive Mahomes throws dumpoff to a very ineligible Donovan Smith who just stands there and doesn't even pretend to advance. Never seen that before but pretty funny

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1703879910253535447?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

AndrewP posted:

LOL. Watching the condensed version of Chiefs/Jags and on the first drive Mahomes throws dumpoff to a very ineligible Donovan Smith who just stands there and doesn't even pretend to advance. Never seen that before but pretty funny
Absolutely slays me:
https://twitter.com/sharpfootball/status/1703457559896531109?s=46

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

I laughed so hard, just an amazing visual.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Very late but thay Fields play where he just freezes and runs into a bunch of lineman is incredible.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Mahomes is really desperate to find good pass catchers.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

oh wow. yea go ahead and clean house again bears.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The thing is, as visible from the all 22, he had three different completely unguarded targets. He didn't look at any of them. He was locked onto the first target, who never got open, so he ran straight into the pile. He had a receiver walking into the end zone, a running back on the right flat, and a receiver five yards up on the left sideline all wide open with no defender near them. Instead of looking at any of those, he's staring at a crossing WR who was essentially triple covered in the zone.

yep. include the bad qb in the house cleaning

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think Fields has had most of the good coached out of him and how worst habits reinforced because the Bears have no idea what they’re doing, and now he’s probably irreparably broken.

he's gotta hope for the Chiefs backup job

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

C'mon it's not the exact same. There's 1 less blocker the second time

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Kalli posted:

C'mon it's not the exact same. There's 1 less blocker the second time

nah, same # of blockers. just that the slot receiver on the right on play #1 has shifted to the left (3 receivers on left) in play #2, but he wasn't blocking in play #1 anyway

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Ed Ingram, have a seat.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

so the past two weeks make me think that Pete Carol + Drew Brees would have been a dynasty in the 10a

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

*crashes through a skylight, landing directly on your couch*

are we talking about how bad Justin Fields is in here

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

the same play twice in a row is the last thing the defense would expect, ergo it's brilliant

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I've read that Justin Fields also had a ridiculously low amount of designed runs these two weeks and I get trying to make him more of an efficient passer (lol) or whatever but why shoot yourself in the foot like that and gently caress the guy up at the same time

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Woozie66 posted:

It's just wild how that QB class was billed as one of the best, and now it's riddled with busts outside of T Law. It almost feels like the Cam Newton draft where he was great and every other one of the numerous QBs were poo poo. Anyone remember Christian Ponder?

I remember ESPN having to scramble to find his highlights when he was drafted. Anyone else remember that?

Found the video, listen to the announcers drag out the announcement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7-3EpAWUdM

Anderson Koopa fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 18, 2023

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
we're two weeks away from Denver vs. Chicago, folks. 10% of the tv audience will be all-22 youtubers

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

oh wow. yea go ahead and clean house again bears.

yep. include the bad qb in the house cleaning

It's a shame you have to flush out such a promising rb talent.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

epic bacon posted:

the same play twice in a row is the last thing the defense would expect, ergo it's brilliant

Technically the last play was annulled so they only ran it once

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Nervous posted:

It's a shame you have to flush out such a promising rb talent.

Backup QBs make more than starting RBs. Good business decision on Fields’ part.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

AndrewP posted:

man this game was sloppy. Jags defense did a nice job, Chiefs defense did an even better job. Trent McDuffie seems like a Dude

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

AndrewP posted:

There's suddenly a lot of mouths to feed on offense. I think they're working Flowers in pretty well - he is a rookie, but Lamar obviously likes throwing to him already. He ran a nice fade yesterday that should have been 20+ yards but Lamar overthrew him.

Monken keeps trying these tunnel screens to Flowers but the problem is that Bateman is kind of dogshit at blocking. any kind of thing that requires good WR blocking, be it those screens or the jet sweeps or whatever, usually ends with whoever Bateman was supposed to block. I really like Bateman as an actual receiver but I wish he put up more of a fight against DBs

That fade is the kind of thing I want to see more of. That's the sort of way we can make Flowers a serious weapon that teams have to bend over backwards to stop then other parts of our offense like Andrews, Agholor ,and Beckham when healthy can have an easier time not to mention the running game. There might be lots of mouths to feed but Flowers' mouth is probably the most important. He is a young developing player who needs to be made a focal point to become a true star. We can't let him fizzle out like most of our other drafted WRs have.

If Bateman can't block fine then we shouldn't be doing playcalls where he's asked to block. That's a recipe to fail. That's the kind of thing Cam Cameron used to do always call the same plays no matter the personnel. Now if Bateman were Anquan Boldin it might be a different story.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 18, 2023

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

AndrewP posted:

man this game was sloppy. Jags defense did a nice job, Chiefs defense did an even better job. Trent McDuffie seems like a Dude

It was painful to watch as the winning team, I can't imagine how painful it was to watch as the losing team.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
https://twitter.com/espn/status/1703927021586333863

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

It feels weird to root for the Steelers to beat the poo poo out of the Browns but that's where we are as a society.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Chubb's career is probably over and Watson is unhurt

The football gods are assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Give Bryce weapons!

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/1703965995155804606?t=rk9K0NnyPjQ60BtHURwDuw&s=19