Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
my favorites are either about nature fighting back, or lupin. i haven't seen 3-4 miyazaki movies so i can't make a real tier list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

Howl's Moving Castle starts off strong, but got so jumbled at the end with the whole war thing that in the book that turns out goes on for like almost a decade

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

i agree, but doing that in a way that does not also look cool and badass is ultimately near impossible without sabotaging your ability to depict said violence in a complex or not-one-note way.

every day i must physically restrain myself from writing an essay about gundam thunderbolt

I think the real point is that it's your own brain telling you the violence is badass.

It was, in fact, literally killing Ashitaka to use that curse arm poo poo to kill others, which he plainly didn't wanna do.

The reading of PM as War is Bad is simplistic, it's actually Coexistence is Key, even should it bring conflict.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm not sure i agree with the "it's your fault for thinking it's cool" take

i do think monoke takes good efforts to depict its violence as gruesome and shocking though. ashitaka shooting his arrow and seeing it rip both of a guy's arms off is an image that sticks with me.

Ohtori Akio posted:

post the thunderbolt essay btw

there is not just one

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
theres a clear effort to create a gruesome effect but it ends up in a funny place like horror films or evangelion: it is very easy for the created effect to be "lol badass" rather than "oh wow that sucks" especially on repeat viewing. how well the intended message is sent is an aspect thats critical to my overall opinion of a work

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
post all of them coward

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

i find myself still rewatching Mononoke like every 2-3 years, I just get in to mood for it.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
off topic, marble rye bread ftmfw

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ohtori Akio posted:

theres a clear effort to create a gruesome effect but it ends up in a funny place like horror films or evangelion: it is very easy for the created effect to be "lol badass" rather than "oh wow that sucks" especially on repeat viewing. how well the intended message is sent is an aspect thats critical to my overall opinion of a work

i dunno i think it just ends up being both at once, they're not mutually exclusive

Ohtori Akio posted:

post all of them coward

i'm going to bed now but give me any aspect of the film to write an essay discussing and i will abruptly interrupt whatever is being talked about here at some point tomorrow with a big wall of text for people to say "i'm not reading that" to

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
how about women's haircuts in gundam as a signifier of who that woman is and how fully realized she is as a person within the fiction

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I got out of bed to come back and say "that was a silly thing to ask, obviously it will be about the use of violence and how it evokes an emotional reaction from the audience"

This new prompt will be difficult, as I know very little about women's hair styles. However, I will endeavor to deliver.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Evangelion I will tip my hat to for being horrifically brutal with the giant fights, berserker 01 is a literal monster, but if somehow you still get to End of Evangelion thinkin "haha it's cool that the robot ripped apart that other one, crushed its bones, then sought out the cockpit so it could crush it in its hand" then here, have some regular human soldiers gunning and flaming down unarmed staff members in the hallway as they run for their lives.

I wouldn't say the series ever tried to make it a big point like a ghibli film, but there were plenty of times when watching Eva that I felt like they were trying to make you uncomfortable with the action on screen.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Ohtori Akio posted:

ponyo respect is a must

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

If I wanted to watch a Ghibli with someone it would be either Ponyo or When Marnie was there

but if I could watch one right now it would always be Spirited Away

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Castle in the Sky feels like a movie I could watch until the end of time

Just the coziest adventure

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Naussica and Porcco Rosso are the best, nothing made after Princess Mononoke rates higher than an A and not a lot make that.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I look forward to the analysis of women's hairstyles in Gundam Thunderbolt.

Also where the gently caress is Thunderbolt 3

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Princess Mononoke is like a more violent version of The Lorax.

Ibblebibble posted:

Also where the gently caress is Thunderbolt 3

Fifteen years away after Banrise gets Hathaway and Unicorn 2 out of their systems.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Lies of P.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

lies of pee (it was actually poo)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ohtori Akio posted:

of all the things evangelion is about 'war/violence is bad' isnt one of them at all

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh i dont think 'war is bad' is the point of a lot of gundam series either

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"Conflict changes people" would he more accurate to Gundam, if a bit more nebulous in what that statement means to individual series.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Endorph posted:

of all the things evangelion is about 'war/violence is bad' isnt one of them at all

Endorph posted:

tbh i dont think 'war is bad' is the point of a lot of gundam series either

dont agree with either of these. but im pretty personally occupied with themes of war and violence and how theyre bad. and thats the magic of film at work

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean i guess evangelion is sort of abstractly about violence being bad but i'd say there's a strong reason why it's so visceral in the specific ways that it is, same with gundam. they need to be like that to convey the emotions of the characters involved. you can't always depict someone going through something weird and hosed up without showing something viscerally weird and hosed up

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Evangelion is about how adults push all of their problems onto children and then blame them for it.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

gundam is about that too

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
my roommate monopolized the living room while i wanted to watch the finale of digimon tamers. this is unacceptable and a crime against anime, and Chiaki Konaka

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ohtori Akio posted:

take the ohtori akio challenge. watch through the full miyazaki directorial canon in release order then post a tier list

So just the movies he directed, and not Whisper of the Heart, Arrietty, and From Up on Poppy Hill that he only wrote and produced?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Feels Villeneuve posted:

my roommate monopolized the living room while i wanted to watch the finale of digimon tamers. this is unacceptable and a crime against anime, and Chiaki Konaka

riot

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Colonoscopies

I truly am an old crusty baa-san now

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

So just the movies he directed, and not Whisper of the Heart, Arrietty, and From Up on Poppy Hill that he only wrote and produced?

thats correct. but theyre good too so watch those as well, but outside the challenge context

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
ive never actually seen arrietty i should fix that

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/timbougami/status/1682373005580615681?s=19

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ohtori Akio posted:

ive never actually seen arrietty i should fix that

Not really, good music though

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Gundam is about how Char Aznable should kiss Amuro Rey on the mouth.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Buschmaki posted:

the magic of film...

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

Char kind of sucks, I dislike how he creeped on Lalah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i would say the countless murders are more significant personally