Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Tampa Bae posted:

He already knows how Oden's journey and ultimately, the One Piece story ends

Momonosuke states in Chapter 1041 that the pages where Oden detailed what was on Laugh Tale were torn out, and he doesn't know what the One Piece is. Presumably, neither does Yamato.

Bleck fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It's the name of the treasure in the Grand Line, didn't you hear the song?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Tampa Bae posted:

I thought Yamoto's decision not to go was pretty clear. He already knows how Oden's journey and ultimately, the One Piece story ends and thought it would be better to stay behind and help rebuild Wano and atone for his father's sins/be the protector that Oden could've been. Luffy's already shown he has no interest in being told what the end is, Raleigh tried and Luffy said no so Yamato wouldn't add much to the crew other than being a massive club-swinging oni which fills the same slot as Zoro being a skinny sword-swinging oni-giri
I feel like you forgot he's got mythical zoan ice powers, among other things.

This post is giving me traumatic flashbacks to my early days in the fandom when people were swearing up and down that Franky couldn't join the crew because he just punches people like Luffy. They already have someone who punches. Clearly Paulie, with his unique way of fighting using ropes, was going to be the shipwright.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

inshallah paulie still can be

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Eiba posted:

I feel like you forgot he's got mythical zoan ice powers, among other things.

This post is giving me traumatic flashbacks to my early days in the fandom when people were swearing up and down that Franky couldn't join the crew because he just punches people like Luffy. They already have someone who punches. Clearly Paulie, with his unique way of fighting using ropes, was going to be the shipwright.
You reminding me of Ice powers reminds me of Monet who was one of the coolest villains in the series and had her own heart stabbed and how people were swearing that her fruit would appear in Nami's orange tree for some reason

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It still feels weird that one of the only villains to explicitly die was essentially a jobber minion

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Tampa Bae posted:

You reminding me of Ice powers reminds me of Monet who was one of the coolest villains in the series and had her own heart stabbed and how people were swearing that her fruit would appear in Nami's orange tree for some reason

people thought that because of the ancient devil fruit number theory

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I also remember people theorizing Vivi was gonna get Monet's fruit somehow and rejoin the crew and I don't even remember how they came to this conclusion

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

anime was right posted:

people thought that because of the ancient devil fruit number theory
I thought the number theory was supposed to be Franky getting Kuma's fruit

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Tampa Bae posted:

I thought the number theory was supposed to be Franky getting Kuma's fruit

it was anyone getting kumas fruit or kuma joining, it wasnt super specific as long as it was his fruit on the crew

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Wano's end was just a weird uncharacteristically an unsatisfying resolve to anything that wasn't Kaido getting punched hard. Yamato's decision to stay makes sense, but the way it was presented made it feel like a last minute revision... just a ton of build up to the character wanting to go out to sea, being Oden, seeing the lengths Oden went too to join a crew... only to change his mind in a few panels w/o any indication of that inner conflict or time to reflect on the sacrifice he's making.

Same w/ the SMILE citizens, Zoro's whole deal with his village being descendants of Wano folk, Sanji feeding the starving populace, the kid being of the same clan as the bad Shogun, etc. etc.

Given we're so close to the end game, and that Wano clearly has a role to play in it, expecting Yamato to show up as part of the Strawhat Grand Fleet for the grande finale. But does still feel like a shame that he's staying supporting cast.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It really did feel like Oda went "this is getting way too long, I've gotta move on"

Which I suppose is fair, I'd like to avoid any more four year long arcs if we can in the final saga

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Waffleman_ posted:

It really did feel like Oda went "this is getting way too long, I've gotta move on"

Which I suppose is fair, I'd like to avoid any more four year long arcs if we can in the final saga
This series started in 1997, even if Oda ends this series in 2040 I'm sure he's got a bunch of other stuff lined up. I'd put the One Piece world closer to a Warhammer, Warcraft, or JRR Tolken stuff over something like Dragon Ball

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Zoro's whole deal with his village being descendants of Wano folk

I actually liked that for Zoro. The backstory is a fun detail but it doesn't matter to him in the least so why dwell on it. Though I suspect we'll get a flashback to show us what happened during the whole death thing at some point. So it's possible he got to talk to his ancestors or there was otherwise some sort of resolution for it there. I agree the rest of it was pretty rushed though.

Regarding Yamato, he absolutely had a unique role on the crew. He would have been the one to record their travels, since that's what Oden did for Roger's crew. I suppose he could still do it after the fact but yeah it sucks he's not officially joining. But I guess since we are likely to see a ton of people pop up during the final conflicts, it won't be long until his return at least.

It's not a guarantee that being an official Strawhat would have given him much more screen time anyways. Given how a lot of these arcs go anyways.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Turns out Yamato is the Narrator. Which means, canonically, Yamato has Ian McShane's voice.

How do you like them apples horny dorks arguing about his pronouns because of how tight your pants are?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Honestly the part I found more discordant was Ryokugyu showing up for one chapter to scream about how classism and discrimination is Based, actually and then running away immediately once Shanks flexes his gains.

Okay, thanks. See ya, dude.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

By current precedent, we will learn Ryokugyu's backstory in a flashback 13 years from now in Chapter 1850

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Drakkel posted:

I also remember people theorizing Vivi was gonna get Monet's fruit somehow and rejoin the crew and I don't even remember how they came to this conclusion

Sounds cool, I believe thiis now.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Really wanna see Vivi break out her yo-yos again

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

She doesn't use yo yos?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Cat Machine posted:

By current precedent, we will learn Ryokugyu's backstory in a flashback 13 years from now in Chapter 1850

In the middle of the eight battle of the fourth section of a 180 chapters long arc, involving three opposite sides and a total of 42 main characters.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

YggdrasilTM posted:

In the middle of the eight battle of the fourth section of a 180 chapters long arc, involving opposite three sides and a total of 42 main characters.

And Robin still barely gets a fight.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

YggdrasilTM posted:

In the middle of the eight battle of the fourth section of a 180 chapters long arc, involving three opposite sides and a total of 42 main characters.
The battle is happening simultaneously on the moon and earth

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Also, half of the Straw Hats are stuck somewhere they need to come out to join the battle, one fourth of them have been fighting for like 20 chapters with no end in sight, and the other ones are running somewhere, maybe chased.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

anime was right posted:

it was anyone getting kumas fruit or kuma joining, it wasnt super specific as long as it was his fruit on the crew

There's a decent chance Vivi ends up with Kuma's fruit... especially since her ancestor likely used it to scatter the poneglyphs.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

YggdrasilTM posted:

Also, half of the Straw Hats are stuck somewhere they need to come out to join the battle, one fourth of them have been fighting for like 20 chapters with no end in sight, and the other ones are running somewhere, maybe chased.
You thought it took too long for Luffy to get to the top of Dressrosa or the roof of Onigashima? Just wait until he has to get up to the moon to fight Blackbeard

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Yamato's decision not to come with the Straw Hats hurt a lot in the moment, cause he's such a loving awesome character. But the framing around the decision makes perfect sense for him and Momo and Wano. Feels like we will be set for Yamato showing up captaining Pluton for the Straw Hat Grand Fleet in the endgame, and that will loving rule. As long as he ends up on the crew for the end it's good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JuniperCake posted:

It's not a guarantee that being an official Strawhat would have given him much more screen time anyways. Given how a lot of these arcs go anyways.

If you want to be cynical you could say he didn't want somebody to come onboard who could in theory displace one of the "monster three."

And the joke answer is Oda knew we didn't need ANOTHER dude on the ship.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 20, 2023

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Gully Foyle posted:

Yamato's decision not to come with the Straw Hats hurt a lot in the moment, cause he's such a loving awesome character. But the framing around the decision makes perfect sense for him and Momo and Wano. Feels like we will be set for Yamato showing up captaining Pluton for the Straw Hat Grand Fleet in the endgame, and that will loving rule. As long as he ends up on the crew for the end it's good.

Speaking of Pluton, my current theory is that Cross Guild is Wano bound, so whilst I'm sad Yamato didn't join the Straw Hats,

Yamato vs. Crocodile or Mihawk? Yes please :allears:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Yamato vs. Crocodile
Yamato: people keep saying i'm a woman for some reason :confused:

Crocodile: yeah same

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I assume a lot of the straw hat ally characters will be drawn into the final battle with the World Government in some way

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vivi is absolutely going to link back up with Luffy at some point at least

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Larryb posted:

Vivi is absolutely going to link back up with Luffy at some point at least

with wapol at her side lol

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I hope Carue’s ok, I don’t think we’ve seen him since the Reverie if I remember right

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Hey, uh, how come none of the One Piece theorists have pointed out that zoan fruits have three states...
...and we've only seen two states of the Nika fruit? Gear Fifth could still be his half form.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It's probably more likely that Gear Fifth is his "full" form and the other gears are hybrids.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i think:
-gear 5 is “awakened,” like chopper after eating three rumble balls or impel down guards
-gear 4 and its variants are “full” hito-hito
-gear 2 is hybrid form
-gear 3 was an early hint at the true nature of the fruit, since it doesnt make any sense at all unless the fruit’s real power is cartoon powers

this is assuming its even analogous to other zoans at all, considering it has the unprecedented ability to affect not just the environment, but the very flesh of luffy’s opponents

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Scholtz posted:

It's probably more likely that Gear Fifth is his "full" form and the other gears are hybrids.

Gears 2 and 3 are just creatively using his rubber body with no physical traits of you know who, and gear 4 is brings armament haki into the mix.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, Gear Fifth feels like the proper awakened form since it seems to give Luffy near infinite reserves of vitality as long as he can maintain it alongside the normally Paramecia thing of making other things rubber, with the other three feeling like Chopper’s Zoan transformations where they focus on a specific “thing”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, Gear Fifth feels like the proper awakened form since it seems to give Luffy near infinite reserves of vitality as long as he can maintain it alongside the normally Paramecia thing of making other things rubber, with the other three feeling like Chopper’s Zoan transformations where they focus on a specific “thing”.

its also the only thing we have a clear description of, since we got a scene of the elder stars explaining gomu gomu awakening at the same time luffy entered gear fifth, and kaidou called it out as a devil fruit awakening too. so i think that at least is set in stone, even if everything else is vague