Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Are the compression ones not wide enough? I had two monster kids that loved to climb and pull everything but they never took a compression gate down and I didn’t have to put holes in anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Ok thanks for the help! I'll just try and drill into it for this one.

The Dave posted:

Are the compression ones not wide enough? I had two monster kids that loved to climb and pull everything but they never took a compression gate down and I didn’t have to put holes in anything.

I might do one of those for our bedroom hallway, it's a bit more of an awkward place. For this one we went with one of the roll-up mesh gates. I mostly wanted to avoid something on the bottom since that seemed like a tripping hazard for the adults. Maybe I don't understand how the compression gates work though.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Usually you get used to it fast, like you don’t trip over thresholds between rooms. But if you have any adults with limited mobility, walker, etc., that would be a dealbreaker

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

OP the modern baby gates generally have a worm drive type thing where you can really get some strong lateral force from it. Since that's not in a critical area (like the top of a staircase) why not just let the baby gate wedge itself in? The one I have for my cat is extremely strongly held in place by such a mechanism and I would think is way more than enough to stop a kid from knocking it over.

e: sorry I missed that you had already discussed 'compression' gates. Honestly give it a shot you'd be amazed.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
+1 for compression gates here. We used them all throughout our house and nary a trip hazard. Even had a real wide section like that we used it on.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Yup only one I drilled was at the top of the stairs for obvious reasons. Never had any issues

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Vim Fuego posted:

... I can't find the nuts. Now I contemplate going to the hardware store to buy 80 cents worth of components, secure in the knowledge that I will find the original set again when I return from buying the replacements

This is the way.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Where's the best place to get area rugs? We have carpet in a bunch of common areas, and are moving in on Saturday.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ham Equity posted:

Where's the best place to get area rugs? We have carpet in a bunch of common areas, and are moving in on Saturday.

If you have pets / little kids or expect high traffic and need to clean them, I very much like the "Ruggables" rugs but they are pricey. They are great for being super easy to pop the top cover into the washer / dryer though and 2-3 years in they have seemed quite durable (we have giant dogs and small cats).

https://ruggable.com/

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Doublepostin because I have a question.

We got one of the newer "U-shaped" Midea window AC units this year (solidly rec them, good on cost / electrical consumption and very quiet). They are more involved to mount vs a regular window unit and I am debating if I should just leave the unit in place over the winter as they way they install is a little more like a semi-permanent setup vs a regular unit. Underneath the support bracket the unit sits on there's a small 2-3mm open gap that I was going to seal with some insulating foam and then was debating wrapping the unit in some sort of plastic (bag + tape perhaps) from the outside to keep external air from leaking in through the unit itself. The window its mounted on faces some woods so no worries if it looks lovely.

Is this a "bad" idea or is there a better suggestion / method for winterizing a window unit in place?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ham Equity posted:

They've gotten a bit more expensive than they used to be, but I have a ton of rugs from https://www.ecarpetgallery.com/us_en/ and they have all been good. Not the cheapest, but I like buying handmade things when I can.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.
Hi all... I'm looking for advise on masonry. I have an ornamental stone piece on the outside of my house which is slowly coming off. It looks like it's just bound to the side of the house using the normal stuff you use to bind stones together. (I know gently caress all about masonry) It looks like, in theory, you'd need to take it off completely, reapply the bonding compond, then stick it back on. What I don't know is how heavy the thing is or how I hold it in place until the bond solidifies. I'm guessing it's too hard to do by myself, but I thought I'd ask since I have no idea at all. Is this possible to fix by myself?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

That Works posted:

We got one of the newer "U-shaped" Midea window AC units this year (solidly rec them, good on cost / electrical consumption and very quiet). They are more involved to mount vs a regular window unit and I am debating if I should just leave the unit in place over the winter as they way they install is a little more like a semi-permanent setup vs a regular unit. Underneath the support bracket the unit sits on there's a small 2-3mm open gap that I was going to seal with some insulating foam and then was debating wrapping the unit in some sort of plastic (bag + tape perhaps) from the outside to keep external air from leaking in through the unit itself. The window its mounted on faces some woods so no worries if it looks lovely.

Is this a "bad" idea or is there a better suggestion / method for winterizing a window unit in place?

I would take it out just so the window can be shut, locked and sealed thoroughly, plus regaining the light of the window. I get it that it sucks to remove and replace these things seasonally.

Otherwise I think you're on the right path. Seal the bottom and the top sash of the window.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

StormDrain posted:

I would take it out just so the window can be shut, locked and sealed thoroughly, plus regaining the light of the window. I get it that it sucks to remove and replace these things seasonally.

Otherwise I think you're on the right path. Seal the bottom and the top sash of the window.

Upside is its a N facing window that is on the opposite wall of the TV in the TV room, so its always covered in blinds etc so no need for light etc but yes good call otherwise, I should have mentioned that this window basically just never functions as a window for any reason.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
You can also stuff in some low density foam weather stripping as well. Then you don't have to worry about expanding foam horror shows. Otherwise yeah tape a plastic bag all around the outside of it, but I bet those midea units don't actually leak air through the units. Isn't the whole point that they only run the refrigerant and power lines through the window sill? Otherwise they are solid metal. If you are trying to keep crud out that's another story.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

You can also stuff in some low density foam weather stripping as well. Then you don't have to worry about expanding foam horror shows. Otherwise yeah tape a plastic bag all around the outside of it, but I bet those midea units don't actually leak air through the units. Isn't the whole point that they only run the refrigerant and power lines through the window sill? Otherwise they are solid metal. If you are trying to keep crud out that's another story.

Thanks.

I wasn’t sure about air leak, but the trees get pretty close to the house there and there definitely would be some accumulation of crud so bagging it up wouldn’t hurt. I guess I’ll leave a little bit of drainage at the lowest point, so it doesn’t accumulate any moisture/corrosion.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

The bulk of the work is in getting the mount set up. Maybe you can just remove the AC itself and leave the mount in place?

I always pull the whole thing, but yea.. it's a huge pain

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Took the downstairs bathroom fan out as I’m installing a light over the shower and the exhaust tube wasn’t connected. Because they used duct tape in the original construction.

Fuckers, the more I dig into the house the more cut corners I’ve found.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

devmd01 posted:

Took the downstairs bathroom fan out as I’m installing a light over the shower and the exhaust tube wasn’t connected. Because they used duct tape in the original construction.

That's super frustrating. I think it's funny how the duct tape wasn't even put on cleanly. I can imagine the person doing the install just taking the roll of tape, flinging it around the tubing a few times and then leaving to grab a beer.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

They've gotten a bit more expensive than they used to be, but I have a ton of rugs from https://www.ecarpetgallery.com/us_en/ and they have all been good. Not the cheapest, but I like buying handmade things when I can.

I have half a dozen rugs from this site as well. Go for 100% wool and it should last a lifetime.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

devmd01 posted:

I'm sorry all I can see is the worst drywall texture short of full popcorn I've ever seen... maybe worse than popcorn.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

I don’t own any but Nordic Knots rugs come very highly recommended and I will be buying one or more soon.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Elem7 posted:

I'm sorry all I can see is the worst drywall texture short of full popcorn I've ever seen... maybe worse than popcorn.

Yeah it’s the entire house :negative:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

devicenull posted:

The bulk of the work is in getting the mount set up. Maybe you can just remove the AC itself and leave the mount in place?

I always pull the whole thing, but yea.. it's a huge pain

Do you recall if the window closes fully with the mount in place? I think it would. Halfway leaving it due to laziness, halfway due to space for storing the unit tbh but yeah it's more involved than the older window unit we have upstairs to put away for sure.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

devmd01 posted:

Yeah it’s the entire house :negative:

:smith::hf::smith: stomp brush texture buddy

I often wonder what it would cost to have drywall installed over top of it all.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Stomp brush texture gang :smith::hf::smith:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I've got stomp on my bedroom ceilings and I have come to appreciate it. It is 1000% better than popcorn. Sucks rear end to actually try to repair, though.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Sirotan posted:

I've got stomp on my bedroom ceilings and I have come to appreciate it. It is 1000% better than popcorn. Sucks rear end to actually try to repair, though.

Oh so that’s what the ceiling texture is called throughout our entire house including 20’ vaulted ceilings. My gf said it could be removed using a rented drywall sander but I was skeptical. Is there a recommended procedure for getting rid of it?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kreeningsons posted:

Is there a recommended procedure for getting rid of it?

1/4" sheetrock over top of it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

kreeningsons posted:

Oh so that’s what the ceiling texture is called throughout our entire house including 20’ vaulted ceilings. My gf said it could be removed using a rented drywall sander but I was skeptical. Is there a recommended procedure for getting rid of it?

Much like the orange peel texture on my walls, removing it is time consuming and not particularly cheap compared to deciding that actually, you love stomp texture and orange peel! It gives the house character!!

You can cover it with drywall or a skim coat of joint compound, or spend about a decade trying to sand it all smooth. I tried the latter on a test spot and got basically nowhere after 15min and promptly abandoned the plan entirely.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone here have experience with home solar panels?

I’ve been dealing with a company called Lumio and the numbers in their sales pitch sounded good, obviously, in terms of energy savings but there are a few red flags. First, they contacted me by going door to door. Second, they wanted me to sign a contract for a 25 year loan before giving me a kWh production number. I did sign, since there’s a window to cancel it, and the guaranteed annual production is about 60% of what my house used in the last year. The annual loan payments are comparable to my current electric bill on average, which would mean a steep increase to energy costs. Admittedly my energy saving habits could be better, but that’s beside the point. Reviews online for this company vary wildly and it’s hard to tell how many of the positive reviews are bought and paid for these days.

The only way I can see this making sense financially is with substantial inflation to electric prices and staying in the house for quite a while (I plan to, but things can change).

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sounds like getting solar through this company is not what you want to do so I think you should not do it.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Signing a 25 year loan for something that isn’t a house seems insane to me

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone here have experience with home solar panels?

I’ve been dealing with a company called Lumio and the numbers in their sales pitch sounded good, obviously, in terms of energy savings but there are a few red flags. First, they contacted me by going door to door. Second, they wanted me to sign a contract for a 25 year loan before giving me a kWh production number. I did sign, since there’s a window to cancel it, and the guaranteed annual production is about 60% of what my house used in the last year. The annual loan payments are comparable to my current electric bill on average, which would mean a steep increase to energy costs. Admittedly my energy saving habits could be better, but that’s beside the point. Reviews online for this company vary wildly and it’s hard to tell how many of the positive reviews are bought and paid for these days.

The only way I can see this making sense financially is with substantial inflation to electric prices and staying in the house for quite a while (I plan to, but things can change).

Sounds like one of the scammier options to me.

I signed a 7 year loan just through my bank to pay for our solar array. The downpayment was about what the ~30% tax credit for the installation cost was worth and our monthly finance charge for the loan is the same as our average electric bill cost (or was before the state increased our rates 25%). That's for a pretty big array that is estimated to break even for total electricity production annually.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
are lath and plaster walls backed by regular studs usually? or how does that work? my house was built in the 1920s and then got an addition added in the 70s and got "partially" remodeled sometime after that. I bought it in 2001ish. 1 of the rooms is lath and plaster with cheap faux wood paneling over top of it, which makes the walls all wavy, and I've been thinking about trying to fix it, but I've never messed with any of that stuff before. is this something that will be extremely annoying to replace/fix?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Yeah I was pretty taken aback when I saw it. I’m working on canceling it. I ran the numbers and this doesn’t start saving me any money until 2034 even at a 9% rate of inflation. Woof.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

That Works posted:

Sounds like one of the scammier options to me.

I signed a 7 year loan just through my bank to pay for our solar array. The downpayment was about what the ~30% tax credit for the installation cost was worth and our monthly finance charge for the loan is the same as our average electric bill cost (or was before the state increased our rates 25%). That's for a pretty big array that is estimated to break even for total electricity production annually.

What solar company did you go through, if you don’t mind my asking?

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

If you are interested in solar panels I would do some research instead of just going with the first company to approach you. There are lots of different rooftop solar funds and programs depending where you are. What state are you in (if you feel comfortable disclosing)? Are they selling you grid connected solar panels or panels that feed an on-site battery? A 25 year loan sounds bonkers.

marchantia fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 20, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

What solar company did you go through, if you don’t mind my asking?

Solpower in Rhode Island, so might not be worthwhile for you. They are a local company, 20 years in business, employee owned coop kinda deal. If you are in CT or MA they might work with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

marchantia posted:

If you are interested in solar panels I would do some research instead of just going with the first company to approach you. There are lots of different rooftop solar funds and programs depending where you are. What state are you in (if you feel comfortable disclosing)? Are they selling you grid connected solar panels or panels that feed an on-site battery? A 25 year loan sounds bonkers.

I’m in Oklahoma and it would be a grid connection. I’ll do some research. Thanks all for the input!