Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

casque posted:

My Milwaukee M18 charger gave up the ghost. Where's the best place to get a deal on a new charger + battery?

Generally with a tool you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Yeah buy a tool that comes with a battery and charger then sell the tool if you don't need it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/PCL1502K2N

This seems like a good deal? $135.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I'm a Ryobi fanboi, but know that those are the basest base model of everything and are only good for light duty. It's still a decent deal, but worth spending more on the next level up and/or brushless.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That's also the crummy 5 1/2" circ saw. It works well enough but replacement blades have proven scarce in my experience.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Nthing that that's a weird combo and probably not worth it. The drill, reciprocating saw, and light are useful to have. The circular saw is of very limited utility because it's hard to find those blades. A sander is a weird piece to throw into a "getting started" tool kit.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Especially that sander. A random orbit sander would be a better pick.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

CommonShore posted:

Especially that sander. A random orbit sander would be a better pick.

Mhm was gonna say I learned the hard way that using a detail sander just doesn't cut it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

It's a good deal with 2001 prices, don't listen to them. That saw will be fine for everything but 45° 2 x 4 cuts. However, if you waited this long, it's out of stock.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm looking for a hand vac to pick up dustbunnies, crumbs of litter, and the usual small household stuff. Everything I've looked at has bad reviews about the durability; there's a lot of "worked great for six months, long enough that I couldn't return it."

Does anybody know a reliable hand vac? I already have Black and Decker batteries, both regular size and 20V MAX, but I'll buy yet another battery system if appropriate.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Our Ryobi dust buster is a champ. Gotta make sure you clean the filter occasionally. I just use a fork to scrape the crud out gently.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Which model?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Green.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
P713?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm looking for a hand vac to pick up dustbunnies, crumbs of litter, and the usual small household stuff. Everything I've looked at has bad reviews about the durability; there's a lot of "worked great for six months, long enough that I couldn't return it."

Does anybody know a reliable hand vac? I already have Black and Decker batteries, both regular size and 20V MAX, but I'll buy yet another battery system if appropriate.

Just get one of the Dyson gun vacs and use it for everything. The brand new tippy top ones are stupid expensive but you can get a V7 or V8 with accessories for $250-$300, which is still a lot but way more acceptable when you consider that it will replace your full-size vacuum as well, and you will never want to go back to lugging a canister or upright around

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I've been using the latest dewalt handheld vacuum for a few months without any trouble. Battery life isn't great with the little 2 Ah batteries I use and the filter's annoying to clean cause I keep vacuuming up fine dust but it does vacuum things well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20V-MAX-Stick-Vacuum-Tool-Only-DCV501HB/317267500

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I just leave the central vac hose lying on the floor.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Ryobi PCL700B on direct tools outlet on sale. Got it for $42 this year and it's a beast

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Thank you!

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

casque posted:

My Milwaukee M18 charger gave up the ghost. Where's the best place to get a deal on a new charger + battery?

If you just want a charger, buy an open-box genuine charger off ebay for $20-30. People buy the tool 'kits' to get the extra battery, but don't want the extra charger. If you want a new battery too, buy a kit with a tool.

More M18 battery communication reverse engineering. The comm protocol is extremely simple, but nobody has bothered to reverse engineer the details yet. This guy is a lot closer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGzeGUDAtac

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 15, 2023

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
JDC15 gets you 15% off at Wiha tools’ website.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
What can you do with a janky old router? I bought a dovetail jig off Craigslist, and the seller included an old makita router on a PC plunge base.

I really just wanted the plunge base, and idk what to do with the router

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mount it upside down in a table. Or sell it to someone who wants to do that.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Like Motronic said, having a dedicated router in a table is nice. Otherwise, if you do lots of woodworking its nice to have a second router dedicated to a certain bit or task.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
You could also build a pantograph or pantorouter, Mattias Wandel style

https://woodgears.ca/pantograph/plans/index.html
https://woodgears.ca/pantorouter/plans/index.html

Edit: and post progress pictures here

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 19, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

what not everyone has a heap of old routers that they got for free or close to free?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

HolHorsejob posted:

What can you do with a janky old router? I bought a dovetail jig off Craigslist, and the seller included an old makita router on a PC plunge base.

I really just wanted the plunge base, and idk what to do with the router

You can never have too many routers. I think I have 5.

E: lol 7 actually

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think I'm at 4 right now. I buy any router I see that's under $10. I have some jigs permanently screwed to some. I've had friends borrow routers from me, burn them out, and I'm like "lol that's no problem it was free."

e. I got a used 3hp makita for cheap recently and I'm going to build a Matthias router lift + table.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm looking for a battery powered hand held (compact) vacuum. Something I can use around the house for dustbuster like duties but also in my boat (hence the battery power requirement) for similar purposes.

I've got a bunch of Milwaukee poo poo and I see that Milwaukee makes a couple vacuums that fit the bill, but reviews on them aren't exactly encouraging.
If Its not one of those, then I guess I'd prefer something with a built in battery rather than removable so I can just plug in to a power cord to charge, rather than have another charger kicking around taking up space.

Should I be looking at stuff made by "vacuum companies" like Hoover, Dyson etc?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I have a Ryobi one and it's fine. It does the job but it's not great. It fills up very quickly, doesn't have a ton of power, and the opening is a small circle, that can connect to a smaller hose or attachment if needed.

It's fine. Great for dust bunnies and small mess.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve had a dyson v8 for a few years and it’s great. Most of the time we don’t bother with the plug into the wall vacuum anymore. The 12v Milwaukee Dustbuster thing I also have pales in comparison.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I've had a shark and when that battery finally ate it after 7 years of having kids I switched to Ryobi. It works well for general pickup and stuff but yes one trip around the house ot les and I gotta dump the canister.. and fish the hairs from the gap bretwetthr filter and canister wall. Id still buy another one. Mainly the draw is I have 100 batteries.

I'd sai find a shark and pay less than a Dyson unless your really itching for that extra 20% of efficiency.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Dysons are great but the battery life is mediocre. The attachments are very useful as well.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

drat I'm jealous. I only have one :negative: meaning I need to constantly swap bits and swap it from table to plunge base, I should really keep my eye out.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

CommonShore posted:

what not everyone has a heap of old routers that they got for free or close to free?

I do, but they are Linksys WRT54G.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

~Coxy posted:

I do, but they are Linksys WRT54G.
:hmmyes:
All of them running tomato

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Meow Meow Meow posted:

drat I'm jealous. I only have one :negative: meaning I need to constantly swap bits and swap it from table to plunge base, I should really keep my eye out.

having at least a 2nd small cordless router just to do like 1/4 round stuff with is super handy.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I have the Milwaukee 0882-20 compact m18 one, and it’s great for dustbuster purposes. It’s loud, but has worked fine for grabbing cobwebs from corners and cleaning cat litter from stairs.

It’s definitely loud, and can chew through small batteries. I throw a 5ah in and it’s fine for periodic usage.

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

BeAuMaN posted:

:hmmyes:
All of them running tomato

Oh god, the flashbacks into the 2000s...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Can anyone recommend good needle files? Not top of the line, but a good & reasonably affordable brand.