Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Also I ran some cheap PETG through a filament dryer and YOLO'd a print overnight on the K1. Came out great. Hardly any stringing, too. Pretty impressed considering this thing did not come with the upgraded extruder or hotend, so I expect either of those to poo poo out within the first month here.

Edit: Also if you haven't upgraded your bedslinger to squashball feet or some other upgraded sound insulation method yet I highly recommend it. I did this model for my MK3S due to the locking design and intention of using two extra feet to help with weight distribution.

https://www.printables.com/model/227986-squash-ball-feet-the-most-efficient-system-for-pru

It's perfectly silent aside from the LCD resonating a bit just like it says. I'll probably just print some TPU to fix it.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

armorer posted:

Yeah the paper test is just to get you in the ballpark when setting up the printer for the first time. As has already been said, you're too close to the bed there.

Also the it worked 2 days ago is the bane of 3d printing.. sometimes you pulled the plate off and it moved something.. or the filament changed etc.

Sometime you just gotta go to the basics and recalibrate

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
The Bambu Lab A1 mini was announced this morning. This thing is cute! I don't need it myself, but assuming it's reliable like the other units, this should be a good budget option for a bunch of people.

(Also I assume someone will eventually figure out how to suspend the optional AMS lite above the main unit to save desk space)

https://bambulab.com/a1-mini

Also this is the weirdest promotion I've ever seen - have other manufacturers done this?

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 20, 2023

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Snackmar posted:

The Bambu Lab A1 mini was announced this morning. This thing is cute! I don't need it myself, but assuming it's reliable like the other units, this should be a good budget option for a bunch of people.

There are some salty people on social media today regarding this lol

It's a great budget option and coming in priced less than the prusa mini I can see this selling a lot to people who are interested in starting printing.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Boy they really just lit another fire under Prusa's rear end, didn't they.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

mattfl posted:

There are some salty people on social media today regarding this lol

It's a great budget option and coming in priced less than the prusa mini I can see this selling a lot to people who are interested in starting printing.

Wahhhhhaaa this sucks it's not the big cool printer I wanted (when you said that's off into the future) what a poo poo company.. why would they make an accessable color printer that's priced 50% less than their current car offering. This doesn't appeal to me a big sweaty tryhard.

Edit: update a little.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 20, 2023

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

tater_salad posted:

Wahhhhhaaa this sucks it's not the big cool printer I wanted what a poo poo company.

Yeah pretty much this lol

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Why does it both poo poo out purge blobs and also build a purge tower? Does the regular AMS also do that?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Sockser posted:

Why does it both poo poo out purge blobs and also build a purge tower? Does the regular AMS also do that?

Yeah, that's how it works too on the X1 and P1 units. It squirts out a bunch through a chute at the back to get the material switched, and then finishes up on the purge prime tower

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 20, 2023

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
It isn't a purge tower. It's a prime tower that gets the nozzle ready for the moment it starts printing the next layer.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It's just a really tall skirt. On the side, really.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Seeing a weird extrusion issue on the ender 3 I've been klipperizing, not exactly sure what's up.

Printer works fine, seems to be extruding fine, then a few mm up the print I start getting crazy under extrusion on the walls to the point it looks like a clog. Am I just printing too fast or dealing with some other weird issue. Running a .6 nozzle on a dragonfly bms so I have to imagine things are fine as far as flow is concerned.

Maybe I should actually run some sort of volumetric flow test. Is there one in particular I should be digging into?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Tremors posted:

It isn't a purge tower. It's a prime tower that gets the nozzle ready for the moment it starts printing the next layer.

Whoops, yes - edited my post :D

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
"Tall skirt on the side" is what my wife used to call my girlfriend.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I'm looking for a printer with a short skirt and a large build plate.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
I just want a kit that lets me use my OG AMS components to convert it to the AMS Lite. Having the reels hanging instead of sitting on rollers eliminates all of the hangups I have about the thing.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I did the thing and did not stop and watch the first layer, apparently the filament got unloaded from my MK3S at some point :thunk:

Printed a small 30 minute part but all I really did was heat up my bed and hotend :)

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Macichne Leainig posted:

I did the thing and did not stop and watch the first layer, apparently the filament got unloaded from my MK3S at some point :thunk:

Printed a small 30 minute part but all I really did was heat up my bed and hotend :)

My absolute best print is when I watched the first layer go down on the Ender 3 & then hosed off.

Came back to an empty bed, and per Klipper it printed the part. Everything seemed fine, and it extruded on command. I couldn't find anything.

Thought I was going crazy. A long while later, I found a blob, spaghetti, and the first few layers from that print. It got kicked off the table and under a shelf, stuck in a way so I'd never see it unless dusting back there.

It hid its shame.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Snackmar posted:

That is definitely not what I expected to see. Wild.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Rad-daddio posted:

What can your thread tell me about smt soldering in an oven?
That's actually a big area where I'm probably way behind on knowledge, I actually haven't touched any surface mount stuff since my last certification course like 17 or 18 years ago. But drop right in to the other thread and ask away, it's still right here on the first page, I know there are bunches of folks who deal with the stuff all the time. :)

The Eyes Have It posted:

That is definitely not what I expected to see. Wild.
I was mildly underwhelmed, but only because I've always liked having bigger build volumes. It does look like a neat little rig!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are there any resources about printing giant skeleton halloween stuff I should know about

I have some spare steel in the garage and a harbor freight flux core welder to make the load-bearing skeleton for the PLA bone segments to slide over? Is that a thing yet

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 20, 2023

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I feel like this printer is driving me insane. I level and relevel, print a bed mesh, adjust z, then level again and when I think things are ok I go to print a file and it's a trainwreck. Half a spool wasted so far. gently caress this thing until tomorrow.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Would highly recommend finding a [your printer] bed test that uses like tiny bit of filament and time.

Do you have any pics to show like before your printooked like it was printing on air. Maybe your file has some issue?

Grasping at stawes but have you tried using a different SD card it's possible the one you've got has gone to poo poo.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
The A1 is neat and would have probably been the printer I would have bought if the P1S wasn't a thing. Really going for the jugular against Prusa seems like.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

I can only imagine what Prusa is thinking now, this completely makes the Prusa Mini a bad deal... it was already starting to get a bit dated when compared to some of the new machines anyhow.

Prusa also released their input shaper firmware for the Mk4 and Mini yesterday, then sent an email about it at 9pm pst after the new bambu machine had already been leaked. Makes me think they were trying to rush to complete it before the official announcement of the A1 today 9/20.

My Mk4 still takes ages to upload gcode, and it's really missing a lot of features Bambu are making nearly standard.

Great print quality though on the mk4, I'd say it beats my X1C for surface finish prints (when both are printing at slow speeds) but not by that much. I hope they are working on some other ideas right now or they are going to be hurting next year I think.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The A1 is neat and would have probably been the printer I would have bought if the P1S wasn't a thing. Really going for the jugular against Prusa seems like.

Absolutely here too.

PLA/PETG was like 90% of what I printed until I got a P1S. What a hell of a price.

Edit: Man, lost a print on the P1S since for whatever reason the standard ASA profile has a max fan speed of 80% instead of slowing down. 80% at 3 seconds, which on a tall skinny object makes it incredibly weak.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 21, 2023

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Prusa link (is that the right term? They have like three and I can't keep them straight) now allows me to upload directly to my mini over ethernet and gat dang it is both awesome and should have existed literally years ago.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

The Eyes Have It posted:

Prusa link (is that the right term? They have like three and I can't keep them straight) now allows me to upload directly to my mini over ethernet and gat dang it is both awesome and should have existed literally years ago.

Yeah Prusa Link runs on the Mk4 and maybe can run on the buddy board of the mini I guess too, didn't know that. Otherwise, you can also set it up on a rpi zero or better device. The way you can use pi cameras or USB cameras is helpful in Prusa link though I think it limits the framerate to 1 frame per 5 or 10 seconds or something crazy haha. Still get awful wifi transfer speeds along with prusa connect.

Prusa Connect is their cloud side of things I guess, I believe it's just a fancier interface that's talking with prusa link and has the ability to save and transfer files from the cloud. Also allows you to link old tablets or phones that can access the prusa connect site as a webcam, yet you cannot use a USB or pi camera in prusa connect that I've found.

It's all pretty poorly implemented sadly, there's some parts I think are cool but it has a lot of work to catch up.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

PrusaLink/PrusaConnect are so unbelievably inexplicably slow vs Octoprint or Klipper

literal minutes to upload a several megabyte file like ?????

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Weird I am definitely not seeing anywhere near minutes. It's fast enough that I've never thought about it. I have it on my (wired) LAN tho :shrug:

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Good to hear you don't have wired issues. I was reading about others with MK4's having slow transfer speeds even on ethernet, it must be something the mk4 is doing, like inspecting the gcode line by line or I'm not sure :what:

I complained on their forums to hopefully help light a fire but doesn't seem like they give a poo poo too much. They're used to being one of the top dogs and now are starting to flail around a bit with these releases. They don't even have input shaping for multi toolhead XL working yet which seems like they must be running into issues or I don't know, does it even have an accelerometer in each print head?

They slowly released products to maximize profit for years like a lot of companies have and now may pay the price. Doesn't seem they have the same eagerness to innovate and shake up the market like I've seen at Bambu.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Springfield Fatts posted:

I feel like this printer is driving me insane. I level and relevel, print a bed mesh, adjust z, then level again and when I think things are ok I go to print a file and it's a trainwreck. Half a spool wasted so far. gently caress this thing until tomorrow.
Maybe the z-limit switch isn't working correctly?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Opinionated posted:

They don't even have input shaping for multi toolhead XL working yet which seems like they must be running into issues or I don't know, does it even have an accelerometer in each print head?

I read in an update that because the XL is so unlike the other printers -- not just the motion system but also being a toolchanger -- it's just plain more work to develop and test for. Seems understandable.

Opinionated posted:

They slowly released products to maximize profit for years like a lot of companies have and now may pay the price. Doesn't seem they have the same eagerness to innovate and shake up the market like I've seen at Bambu.

For a long time, Prusa were the innovators. But Bambu is shaking it up for sure. Heck, the 4-color filament changer looks like a better (and cheaper) Mini than the Mini. The MK4 was just released but looks kind of ehhhh compared to the Bambu stuff.

The XL is where the real innovation is, but it has taken so long to get to market (it was being developed smack dab in component shortages and shipping insanity, I don't envy that) and it's also so expensive that I don't know it's even competing for the same market as the other hobbyist stuff. poo poo's happening for sure.

I will also say that just the fact that I can reliably order parts and filament and poo poo from Bambu directly, from a Canadian source, and have it in my hands like two days later with a low free shipping threshold... gently caress, it's easy mode and I've spent more on Bambu's store than I thought I would. Ordering complete hot ends in different sizes, different build plates, desiccant packs, it's very handy.

Now if Bambu could just consistently color their loving filament so that different batches of PLA-CF don't have a visible difference between them... :mad:

e: I've also had way more issues with Bambu then with any of my Prusas in total... but even so, not a ton and not showstoppers. They both have their strengths but I really underestimated how much I enjoy a) wireless command and control, b) fast printing speed, and c) a super reliable multi-material solution. Those things alone are really, really powerful. And I really love being able to easily (compared to Prusa) swap nozzles. Apparently I'm willing to tolerate a certain amount of jank in return.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 21, 2023

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
In the Bambu/Prusa war, has anyone integrated WiFi like a normal piece of electronics so I don't have to dick around with Raspberry Pi's or dongles or other ludicrous work arounds?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Both have

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

bird food bathtub posted:

In the Bambu/Prusa war, has anyone integrated WiFi like a normal piece of electronics so I don't have to dick around with Raspberry Pi's or dongles or other ludicrous work arounds?

You send prints directly to the P1P/P1S/X1 over wifi through the slicer, in fact it only supports wifi.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Neat! Guess I'm behind the times a bit on that one. It was a huge bugbear of mine the last time I messed around with FDM, having to schlepp a USB stick up and down floors in my house for every modification.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
A lot of the new cheaper printers (for example, SV07, Ender-3 V3KE, Neptune 4) now have Klipper on board so they also support direct network printing without having to run any external servers

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
X1C shipping confirmation came in today, so I'm guessing it will arrive sometime next week. I wasn't planning to get it set up right away as I'm overloaded with work, but since I lost one of my printers this week, I'd like to get the X1C rolling as fast as I can so it can pick up the slack; are there any common points in setup that people stumble on and I should look out for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Listerine posted:

X1C shipping confirmation came in today, so I'm guessing it will arrive sometime next week. I wasn't planning to get it set up right away as I'm overloaded with work, but since I lost one of my printers this week, I'd like to get the X1C rolling as fast as I can so it can pick up the slack; are there any common points in setup that people stumble on and I should look out for?

Unbox, follow the setup instructions and start printing.