Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Jose posted:

drat kagurabachi is gory as hell for a sj title. They've really relaxed the rules again about what is allowed after the period of fist of the north star being in it then it being way less gory

Im sold on it first chapter. Kinda slaps and has a fun premise (for battles). Art is very digital looking which isnt necessarily bad (flying witch looks the same) but feel like this could have really sizzled with real ink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
How is Marriagetoxin so good? I actually cried at this chapter.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Make the Exorcist fall in love: What's tragic is I get the impression he is going to Asmodeus because he intends to never see "Aria" again after this job and she appears to him as a kindred spirit. But going to Imuri first is liked to his legitimate affection for her and that's also linked to his trauma.

Electric Phantasm posted:

The windwheel family is real fast and furious.

Could have just made their adoptive father Vin Diesel for all I care.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Marriagetoxin: gently caress yeah! All things considered, this was a pretty fluffy arc. Hope we will meet the Windwheel family in the future, they rock.

Make the Exorcist fall in love: Of course, what else could be a finale of romcom then a tragic misunderstanding about who the hero truly loves, where his platonic, well-meaning actions are misinterpreted as a confession of love towards the wrong person, triggering a disaster. Although I guess this time the "disaster" being triggered will be a bit more literal. And biblical. :v:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
For some reason people are meming a ton about Kagurabachi on twitter?? I can't tell if it's people joking because they think it's bad/generic, or if because they think it's great, or what. I'm so confused.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

CodfishCartographer posted:

For some reason people are meming a ton about Kagurabachi on twitter?? I can't tell if it's people joking because they think it's bad/generic, or if because they think it's great, or what. I'm so confused.

It's just the same as the Morbius jokes from last year, everyone's pretending it's the greatest thing ever, even before the first chapter came out.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Julias posted:

It's just the same as the Morbius jokes from last year, everyone's pretending it's the greatest thing ever, even before the first chapter came out.

I mean, that made sense because everyone could tell Morbius wasn't going to be any good and Sony was dumping tons of money into it, so it was funny to make fun of it. Kagurabachi seems to be just as well-advertised as any random rear end new jump series? Or was jump like, super hyping it up and I just missed it or something. Or am I just overthinking internet memes

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
People were making memes as it seemed pretty generic, and then because making memes and being in on a joke is fun It just keeps going until people get bored.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I think it's a victim of big anitwitter accounts since twitter got monetised and everyone is desperately trying to hit those engagement metrics.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels out of the loop on this, some of it is obvious shitposting (like the edit that replaces the text with Demon Slayer) but a lot feels like this is the first time they've ever been exposed to a non-Big Three Shonen Jump manga. Which given the age demographics on twitter, might literally be the case.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
literally came to post that exact thing lol

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
This is the only Kagurabachi meme that's actually made me laugh:

https://twitter.com/AleksLeVO/status/1704304016107409802

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Finished Yu Yu Hakusho today. I watched the anime back when it was on Toonami/Adult Swim, so it was interesting to see the original manga.

It feels like Togashi was really inexperienced but talented. What the manga was about shifts wildly from story to story, and you can see the beginnings of the kinds of poo poo he would get up to in Hunter X Hunter during the Sensui arc.

From what I remember of the anime, I do feel like it elevated the source material a lot. One of the few times I prefer the slower pace of an anime to its manga, but Togashi really speeds through a lot of moments that could have used time to breathe. Also the anime would clean up and improve on his art in places. Anime Pu gets to have more than one facial expression, for instance. Though I do prefer how Yusuke's mom doesn't vanish from the story in the manga, she's one of the better comic relief characters IMO.

I liked the extended epilogue that the manga got, though I did find it funny how it tried to give Hiei a case of the NotGays with Mukuro.

It's been ages since I gave Hunter X Hunter a try (got through the Greed Island arc way, way back when), might go and give it another chance soon but I've got several volumes of Dungeon Meshi to read first.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Make the Exorcist fall in love: Of course, what else could be a finale of romcom then a tragic misunderstanding about who the hero truly loves, where his platonic, well-meaning actions are misinterpreted as a confession of love towards the wrong person, triggering a disaster. Although I guess this time the "disaster" being triggered will be a bit more literal. And biblical. :v:

Yeah, things are about to go to poo poo and I'm actually really bummed about it

Supersonic Shine posted:

This is the only Kagurabachi meme that's actually made me laugh:

https://twitter.com/AleksLeVO/status/1704304016107409802

Man, Le has been on a roll for the past year or so

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

enjoy your delve into dungeon meshi, it is in my opinion one of the best manga of all time, nose-to-tail

hxh is long past its prime but when it’s at its best togashi’s deftly threading the needle between subverting and embracing popular shonen trends decades before mangaka like fujimoto and one made it de rigueur. if you liked your readthrough of yyh you’ll definitely enjoy post-greed island hxh

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

panko posted:

enjoy your delve into dungeon meshi, it is in my opinion one of the best manga of all time, nose-to-tail

Oh I know, I've actually read all of Dungeon Meshi before but I wanted to give the whole thing a full re-read now that the last chapter has come out.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alacron posted:

I liked the extended epilogue that the manga got, though I did find it funny how it tried to give Hiei a case of the NotGays with Mukuro.

yea I've seen a lot of people express disappointment at the final arc but I actually liked it a lot

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Apparently Mangaplus is going to change. :ohdear:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

This feels ominous.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

every time you read a chapter you pay $1 to unity

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Alacron posted:

This feels ominous.

Please continue to watch over them warmly.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I will gladly pay if I can stop seeing so many cool Jump+ oneshots and serializations never come over (let's ignore all the cancelled ones).

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Considering translating all those titles they do probably costs an arm and a leg and they really can't be making much money off it, I'm guessing we're about to see a magnificent shooting of self in the foot from Shueisha under the false assumption people will totally buy their funny coins to get tokens to read their favorite series. After all, they've gotten used to day-and-date translations, surely most will just fall in line and pay up the moment free access gets cut off!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ruflux posted:

Considering translating all those titles they do probably costs an arm and a leg and they really can't be making much money off it, I'm guessing we're about to see a magnificent shooting of self in the foot from Shueisha under the false assumption people will totally buy their funny coins to get tokens to read their favorite series. After all, they've gotten used to day-and-date translations, surely most will just fall in line and pay up the moment free access gets cut off!

The coin stuff is some of the worst poo poo ever and I hope I'm not alone in having zero willingness to engage in it.

I'm probably more willing than most to blow money on fiction online (I'm subscribed to a number of patreons for web serials), but the "pay by chapter" stuff is just an instant "no" any time I encounter it. Doesn't matter how much I want to read the series.

For whatever accused reason, apparently the coin stuff had worked in some other countries (at least South Korea I think, not sure about Japan). Hopefully that doesn't also happen here.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Man if they take MarriageToxin away from me...

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I binged The Bugle Call today and drat that manga is good. I want more of it

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Aw man, really regretting not taking advantage and going through my backlog sooner.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Ruflux posted:

A good chunk of them show up on Shonen Jump, do they use the same translations? I’ve never really checked. So Shonen Jump app helps pay for that. Same parent company so I’d assume if the Shonen Jump and the Viz app are doing well, they’d probably just run the same model. Pay a couple bucks per month, get a lot of stuff.

Here’s hoping.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I'd pay for a subscription for sure, but a coin system...

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

The Black Stones posted:

A good chunk of them show up on Shonen Jump, do they use the same translations? I’ve never really checked. So Shonen Jump app helps pay for that. Same parent company so I’d assume if the Shonen Jump and the Viz app are doing well, they’d probably just run the same model. Pay a couple bucks per month, get a lot of stuff.

Here’s hoping.

I know Kaiju no8 has different translations between Mangaplus and Viz, so I assume the others are also different.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Alacron posted:

This feels ominous.

ar an ai mi

What could it mean, these connected letters! A mystery!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alacron posted:

I'd pay for a subscription for sure, but a coin system...

I don't think there's any clear indication this is the case yet; people are just (justifiably) worried about it happening since it has with other manga and web novel services.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

haypliss posted:

I know Kaiju no8 has different translations between Mangaplus and Viz, so I assume the others are also different.

Nope. Just checked. Chainsaw Man has the same team listed on both services.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I was curious so I went and checked. Chainsaw Man has the same translators for Mangaplus and SJ, but Kaiju no8 has different translators for each.

No idea why they'd double dip like that. Maybe a contract thing? Very weird.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Discord posted:

@everyone

Notice of Service Renewal

Thank you for always using MANGA Plus by SHUEISHA.
Exciting changes are coming! We're gearing up for a major update to enhance our platform. Among the upcoming enhancements will be changes to the available manga.

More information coming with the renewal.
We appreciate your continued support for MANGA Plus by SHUEISHA.

MANGA Plus by SHUEISHA
2023.09.21(JST)

This tells us nothing extra I guess. If it becomes dumb coin stuff I guess scalation will take flight again

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I'm hoping the most they'll do is officially make the backlog pay-to-read rather than letting you read each chapter once in the app or something similar. But considering this is a manga publishing company and others have tried to make coin systems a thing in the western sphere before, I can't exactly say I'm confident enough to predict that's what they're doing.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

i hope the exciting changes is allowing Europeans to use their platforms. Mangaplus is good, but the rest would be nice

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Meanwhile on a site where I refuse to buy into their coin/key system. Battle in 5 seconds continues towards the end game and I said it before but The fact that Kitajima went from total joke to being a major supporting character in the series still warms my heart. Even in death he's still giving Akira's dad the proverbial middle finger and the best part is, the old man knows it.

It bothers me that despite getting an anime, no effort has been made to print these translations. This is definitely a series to put on my shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

old man continues being humble in Diasporaiser
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1018855