Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

LOL that the chud wing of the party somehow thinks that shutting down the government equals all courts in the country shut down as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

Is Ronny this big of a conspiracy anti vaxx nut himself, or does he just think it's good for more of his base in Florida to truly Ghoulify?

Even Trump encouraged old Republicans to get it lmao

I think it's mainly just him being a prick thinking it will play well with the base. But as it turns out, you can't just yell out rightwing crap and waltz right into the nomination. YOu need other things, like a shred of charisma or likability.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

LOL that the chud wing of the party somehow thinks that shutting down the government equals all courts in the country shut down as well.

I really thought it was grandstanding about Biden impeachment

Holy poo poo I could not have even imagined this level of stupid as a reason.

Rudderless. Ship.

Also, has Large Marge passed or been part of a single piece of legislation that made it past the Senate?

Like her constant "I'M GOING TO MAKE SURE THAT 10 YEAR OLDS CAN'T ABORT!" bills she makes that will never pass Congress ever, what the gently caress is the point?

Clout? She's just that stupid she thinks magic words like "AMENDMENT" will instantly go through Congress that day?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

IBroughttheFunk posted:

I think it's mainly just him being a prick thinking it will play well with the base. But as it turns out, you can't just yell out rightwing crap and waltz right into the nomination. YOu need other things, like a shred of charisma or likability.

IMHO the only thing stopping him from waltzing to the nomination is Trump. If Trump weren't around, he'd be a shoe-in even despite his lack of charisma and likability.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It makes her famous. She can get a job on Fox. And she’s well positioned to be a Gauleiter.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

IBroughttheFunk posted:

But he is actually killing his base with this.

Like Florida is the only state right now having a wider outbreak, granted Texas and many other chudstates are on their way though.

This poo poo is completely self destructive

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

TulliusCicero posted:

By making them harder/more expensive to take he's actually trying to kill the anti-Santis base too

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

Like Florida is the only state right now having a wider outbreak, granted Texas and many other chudstates are on their way though.

Yeah, honestly that's a good point. I'm changing my theory to a mix of both playing for the base and honestly probably being a little bit of a true believer to himself - or at least maybe genuinely believing that COVID isn't as bad as those experts say it is.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hope mtg runs for Senate against the non Warnock next cycle, because she's probably one of the only people he could beat

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Ossoff won a full term in 2020, he's not up for an eternity in politics.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

TulliusCicero posted:

I live an hour North of a city in Texas so unbelievably stupid, they de-fluoridated their water system a decade back. However stupid and self destructive you think the chuds are, you're underestimating them. Just assume the worst, and they'll sink to the occasion.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

kw0134 posted:

Ossoff won a full term in 2020, he's not up for an eternity in politics.

But he's up sooner than Warnock who won a full term in 2022. I think Ossoff would smoke mtg in 2026 if she got the nomination

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Anders posted:

By making them harder/more expensive to take he's actually trying to kill the anti-Santis base too

It's Florida though

Like, does he know his population is mostly old and very conservative? Most of the young people who would take it move out of the state anyway.

It's just diminishing returns that just kills the people you need to vote for you.

I think he's honestly really stupid and married to crazy: his wife is apparently one of the big pushers off all this to him, and by all accounts a Fundie nut.

Like they are actual Fred and Sarina in real life from the Handmaid's Tale

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

It's Florida though

Like, does he know his population is mostly old and very conservative? Most of the young people who would take it move out of the state anyway.

It's just diminishing returns that just kills the people you need to vote for you.

I think he's honestly really stupid and married to crazy, his wife is apparently one of the big pushers off all this to him, by all accounts a Fundie nut.

Like he's actual Fred and Sarina in real life from the Handmaid's Tale
Florida looks more like a roach trap for the chud base.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TulliusCicero posted:

It's Florida though

I think he's honestly really stupid and married to crazy: his wife is apparently one of the big pushers off all this to him, and by all accounts a Fundie nut.

Like they are actual Fred and Sarina in real life from the Handmaid's Tale

The last governor would have been the opposite, his wife would somehow be making $1000 per dose delivered in the state and he'd be awarding her the exclusive contract

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I don't blame Ron for sticking around despite his dismal polling. What happens to Trump is a total wild card, who knows how it will play out. Better to stay in the game and have a chance at an "emergency nomination" than drop out.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
I think it's safe to say that government sponsored COVID vaccines disappear the moment any republican takes control of the White House. I don't think DeSantis's position is all that fringe for his party and they are trending in an ever more anti-vaxx direction. It has already started to leak into being against other vaccines and I wouldn't be surprised if the next GOP administration rolls back programs for vaccination broadly. It's just ... who they are.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

redshirt posted:

I don't blame Ron for sticking around despite his dismal polling. What happens to Trump is a total wild card, who knows how it will play out. Better to stay in the game and have a chance at an "emergency nomination" than drop out.
None of these guys have much juice. Vivek has coke energy I guess.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

redshirt posted:

The challenge is not running out of money before you get to the meat of the election year here, in what, 6 months? Dude's already had tons of big-money donors walk on him so it'll be fun to see him scraping together penny shillings to try to keep his campaign alive.

Actually, that reminds me: wasn't it R-Money who canceled all his employees' credit cards the night of his election loss, meaning he left a bunch of them stranded in cities away from home with hotel/airline bills they ended up having to pay out of pocket? DeSantis will be doing the same thing, which is lol as all hell.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Speaking of Vivek, his wife went public that she disagrees with him and is glad she's been vaccinated.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
while i lust for roni regressive remover death, im still not sure is there's data to support it, esp data that it hurts regressives faster than it hurts non regressives.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

redshirt posted:

The GOP is so heavily pro-Trump he will always be the nominee. They are so far gone it's beyond parody

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Speaking of Vivek, his wife went public that she disagrees with him and is glad she's been vaccinated.

Classic Vivek.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I was exposed to covid last weekend (as far as I can tell, I'm asymotomatic). Buying a test at a national pharmacy cost me something like $24 per package. It's good that Biden is sending out free tests by mail again; I'm less upset with him than companies that are allowed to gouge for v these important tests.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

John Wick of Dogs posted:

But he's up sooner than Warnock who won a full term in 2022. I think Ossoff would smoke mtg in 2026 if she got the nomination
I suppose, but we're forecasting four years from now, it's like trying to predict the weather on a particular date. MTG will be a terrible candidate in general, sure, but we don't know if someone even stupider will come along. Or Ossoff will have some scandal. Or the general political climate will strongly favors Dems. Or Republicans. Completely unpredictable.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

PhazonLink posted:

while i lust for roni regressive remover death, im still not sure is there's data to support it, esp data that it hurts regressives faster than it hurts non regressives.
One of these populations hates the vaccine and the other doesn’t. I think Florida and Texas rebranding as the new homeland for bitter petit bourgeois fucks has probably had more impact.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I was exposed to covid last weekend (as far as I can tell, I'm asymotomatic). Buying a test at a national pharmacy cost me something like $24 per package. It's good that Biden is sending out free tests by mail again; I'm less upset with him than companies that are allowed to gouge for v these important tests.

Yeah, when my wife was coming down with something and I ran out to CVS, I was floored by the price of an individual box. I'm glad that we're getting some freebies. Speaking of, has that even been mentioned here in this thread explicitly yet? If not, just in case:

Free COVID tests by mail are back, starting Monday

PhazonLink posted:

According to a study from JAMA Internal Medicine, there is a data-based case to be made that there is a political relation to excess death rates from COVID.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 21, 2023

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Has she gone public on why she even tolerates his “i will say literally anything for power” rear end?

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

rotinaj posted:

Has she gone public on why she even tolerates his “i will say literally anything for power” rear end?

My guess is that is because she is likewise a terrible person.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1704857994591408616

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

rotinaj posted:

Probably just said it to get his name in the media

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

redshirt posted:

Lol nah he's done, even if trump goes away

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ramaswamentum seems to have completely dissipated.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lol Ron DeSantis is so uncharismatic that he can't scam money from a bunch of idiots who get scammed by everything they see to keep his campaign running

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

CommieGIR posted:

The GOP is so heavily pro-Trump he will always be the nominee. They are so far gone it's beyond parody

He'll always be the nominee, but at some point the icy grip of the grim reaper is gonna squeeze him with the last hamberder to go in to his arteries. When that happens he'll only probably be the nominee via Q-anon cult write-in campaigns about body doubles and jewish space laser cloning. And in that moment, DeSantis will have the greatest chance of his life.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/JeffreyGoldberg/status/1704851106088501652

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Desantis doesn’t have bully energy like trump. He’s the bully’s sidekick who gets his rear end kicked by everyone down to the kid who ate his boogers for lunch once the bully got sent to juvie

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

bird food bathtub posted:

And in that moment, DeSantis will have the greatest chance of his life.

DeSantis is going to be forgotten after this poo poo, his next opportunity to do anything is to run against Rick Scott for his Senate seat and get loving demolished

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

redshirt posted:

Ramaswamentum seems to have completely dissipated.
His support in media reflects his campaign, mostly fictitious and based on an illusion of strength that could never withstand any scrutiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
We all know 2028 is The Return of the Jeb!