Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Finished Don Quixote finally I still enjoyed it overall even if it was a massive chore in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Lawman 0 posted:

Finished Don Quixote finally I still enjoyed it overall even if it was a massive chore in the middle.

:toot:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lawman 0 posted:

It's a bit long because it's actually two books that just have a nearly 400-year history of being published in one volume.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I've got a dumb question that I don't know where it better fits. I just finished Michael Chabon's The Yiddish Policeman's Union and adored the author's writing style of dense, clever prose. I gobbled it up, so was a little surprised to see some of those I'm reading it with report they found it frustratingly hard to follow, frequently requiring backtracking and rereading a sentence a couple times for it to click.

But more striking was my realization that I actually experience the same sort of frustration with writing that offers, ostensibly, a far lower readability bar. A few examples where it stuck out would be The Hunger Games, Jay Kristoff's Stormdancer, and Susan Burke's Semiosis. All would score as very readable, but in each I actually found myself stumbling awkwardly through, getting hung up on, I don't know, the excessive simplicity of the sentence structure and narrative presented? Each was an outright painful read.

The same isn't true for obvious children's books. Reading "See Spot. See Spot run. Run, Spot, run!" doesn't leave me in a befuddled state wondering if I've missed something deeper. I guess I'm just coming at this YA-level literature with the wrong calibration?

My intent isn't to put down those who enjoyed those books, just shout my confusion into the void. Am I crazy? Pretentious? Is this unreadable readability a known, named phenomenon with any research behind it?

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 21, 2023

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
My ability to follow what I read often has more to do with my mental state than the qualities of the text itself.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cugel the Clever posted:

I've got a dumb question that I don't know where it better fits. I just finished Michael Chabon's The Yiddish Policeman's Union and adored the author's writing style of dense, clever prose. I gobbled it up, so was a little surprised to see some of those I'm reading it with report they found it frustratingly hard to follow, frequently requiring backtracking and rereading a sentence a couple times for it to click.

But more striking was my realization that I actually experience the same sort of frustration with writing that offers, ostensibly, a far lower readability bar. A few examples where it stuck out would be The Hunger Games, Jay Kristoff's Stormdancer, and Susan Burke's Semiosis. All would score as very readable, but in each I actually found myself stumbling awkwardly through, getting hung up on, I don't know, the excessive simplicity of the sentence structure and narrative presented? Each was an outright painful read.

The same isn't true for obvious children's books. Reading "See Spot. See Spot run. Run, Spot, run!" doesn't leave me in a befuddled state wondering if I've missed something deeper. I guess I'm just coming at this YA-level literature with the wrong calibration?

My intent isn't to put down those who enjoyed those books, just shout my confusion into the void. Am I crazy? Pretentious? Is this unreadable readability a known, named phenomenon with any research behind it?

Different people find differing material more or less difficult. Like a lot of Goons in a lot of situations you're making mountains out of molehills and massively overthinking; many of the works you list are garbage, the reason you bounce off them is not readability it's that they aren't in any way interesting or challenging. Imagine a chess match and you're playing someone much more talented than yourself, you might struggle with every move, but you will be engaged. If they give you a handicap of turning all your pawns to queens than you won't be, even if you're poor enough that you still get outplayed the experience will still be unenthralling with the knowledge that you both aren't actually being held to any standard nor are you making interesting decisions in your match.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

I guess I'm just coming at this YA-level literature with the wrong calibration?

Your mistake is that you're reading it. It's all poo poo. :tipshat:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
The other goons have hit the nail on the head, but I will say I've experienced the first half of it myself with a TV show; it feels like I am the only person on Earth who perfectly understood the third story arc of obscure dense Britich scifi show Sapphire and Steel with no outside help. Mostly I just wonder if it's me who is the crazy one, haven't had something like that happen since. Sometimes you just click with an author's work I guess?

For the second half I'd also guess you're expecting too much of YA lit. Usually I go in to lighter stuff like that trying to predict if they'll follow the cliches or not and roll my eyes when it conforms to expectation in dumb ways.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Speaking of fast reading, I just sped through Gabriel Garcia Marquez "Erendira" book, it was super well written, such flowery language, and it only took me a few hours (short book, 160 pages including a few short stories). I thought it would take me much longer.

Now, the talent is undeniable, these are some wonderfully written sentences, perfect for magical realism.

But uhhhh how is this a respected classic, Erendira is 14. If you haven't read it, maybe look up the plot first lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

But uhhhh how is this a respected classic, Erendira is 14. If you haven't read it, maybe look up the plot first lol

It's literally titled an increíble y triste story.

e: I just realized that, for some reason, the Finnish translation is "sad and incredible" instead of the original way around.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Psssssssst hey, don't look behind you.......but there's a POLL for the October book club book!

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Just got an email from Amazon confirming that they are finally, once again, and this-time-they-mean it... removing MOBI / AZW support for Send to Kindle, everything must be EPUB now. They'll start "winding down" on November 1st and fully cut it off on December 20th

If this sounds familiar it's because they actually claimed they were doing it as far back as 2021 but then just never did lol. and if this sounds familiar but in the opposite way, that's because until last year Send to Kindle only supported MOBI / AZW. it's a well oiled machine over there at Amazon

anyway not a big deal, EPUB has always been better and it's easy to convert via calibre, but fyi

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Got Ulysses for free. It's a bit beat up but intact. (It used to belong to a nurse in Dublin in 1964. How it came to be here IDK :shrug:)

Now I have to read it :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Got Ulysses for free. It's a bit beat up but intact. (It used to belong to a nurse in Dublin in 1964. How it came to be here IDK :shrug:)

Now I have to read it :(

You do not have to self-harm. You can put the book down.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

(I haven't actually read ulysses. I tried the first few pages a year or so ago and went "this is not for me". It might be good! I don't know. But I am a huge fan of reading books you want to - there are too many genuinely great books to slog through one that doesn't work for you)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

You do not have to self-harm. You can put the book down.

Reading on the floor? How 1980s.

StrixNebulosa posted:

(I haven't actually read ulysses. I tried the first few pages a year or so ago and went "this is not for me". It might be good! I don't know. But I am a huge fan of reading books you want to - there are too many genuinely great books to slog through one that doesn't work for you)

I'm strictly in the "it was there" camp. Of course it doesn't mean I can't choose what to read next from what I have. I picked up Pratchett's Strata for 2½€ (I think?) at the same place. It's a perfect size for reading on the bus.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 27, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lying on your stomach with your head over the side and the book on the floor is a great way to read

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Lying on your stomach with your head over the side and the book on the floor is a great way to read

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I wish I could afford, like, a massage table with a hole for my face in a special room so I could read something below it with my head and neck supported.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Reading on the floor? How 1980s.

I'm strictly in the "it was there" camp. Of course it doesn't mean I can't choose what to read next from what I have. I picked up Pratchett's Strata for 2½€ (I think?) at the same place. It's a perfect size for reading on the bus.

i have a huge softspot for strata, it's no where near as polished as his later work but as a soft-satire of ringworld it's a really fun read. no rishathra either which is a plus.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Megazver posted:

I wish I could afford, like, a massage table with a hole for my face in a special room so I could read something below it with my head and neck supported.

I've read a few books with XReal Airs plugged into my ipad. Just laying without a pillow, reading off the ceiling. Setting it to dark mode makes the text just look like it's floating since black is transparent. I got the Beam too so I can look at the "screen" a bit more naturally.

I flip pages with one of these things

https://a.co/d/hEnuGpO

I've actually done a lot of work like that too, highly recommend if you have neck problems and the means to access these things. Massage table is probably less expensive, but extra room is moreso.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://www.redcometpress.com/adult/101

Maybe you can still submit this one

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Not gonna click anything with "adult" in it :thunk:

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Megazver posted:

I can buy you one but only if you let me watch you use it.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Not gonna click anything with "adult" in it :thunk:

Probably a good way to go through life

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's been far too long since I sat down to read a book (of fiction), so today I bought the Penguin Classics translation of The Count of Monte Cristo, which I've wanted to read for the longest time. Read chapter 1 and am excited to continue when it's not 2am :)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Terper posted:

It's been far too long since I sat down to read a book (of fiction), so today I bought the Penguin Classics translation of The Count of Monte Cristo, which I've wanted to read for the longest time. Read chapter 1 and am excited to continue when it's not 2am :)

oh hell yeah, there's nothing better than getting back into reading by reading something REALLY good

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Count of Monte Cristo is the longest uninterrupted period of reading I've ever engaged in I believe. I went from page three hundred or so to the end in one stretch over night because I just couldn't put it down. Felt like my eyes were bleeding afterwards.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is that the modern translation by Robin Buss? That's the one you want and it matters

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah that's the one Penguin uses

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I was one of those people who dropped out in Rome, knowing that revenge would be hundreds of pages away.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think I've ever read a Frenchman's writings about Italy and not loved it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Smdh at these wish-fulfillment MCs... captain of a three-master at 20?? Some guys have all the luck!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Action Jacktion posted:

I can buy you one but only if you let me watch you use it.

TBH it's more of a "afford a different appartment with an extra room to put in" thing.

But if I ever figure it out, I will personally PM you to share a video of this deeply intimate moment with you.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Terper posted:

Smdh at these wish-fulfillment MCs... captain of a three-master at 20?? Some guys have all the luck!

Tordenskjold made captain at like 21 so its not unheard of

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Megazver posted:

Holy poo poo... you just gave me a light bulb moment. I have a massage table in storage. Have been hardly able to pick up a book in a year because of my neck, switched to audio.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

escape artist posted:

Holy poo poo... you just gave me a light bulb moment. I have a massage table in storage. Have been hardly able to pick up a book in a year because of my neck, switched to audio.

Report back if my idea was genius or hubristic defiance of Gods' will.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So who is y'all's tip for this year's Nobel prize? I've seen some betting odds that seemed to claim the surefire bet is Murakami, which is a choice I'm honestly not a fan of.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
none of the sources I've come across have him as the frontrunner. I think most people are expecting Fosse or Can Xue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

since i’m norwegian I would obviously root for Fosse, but Xue or Krasznahorkai would be good choices, too