Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
lol drat gonna have to pull off the Shopping List Review™ for speed racer here cause theres way too much i wanna say

-mostly good cgi and visual style trying to imitate the original show, but theres some exceptions that are unbelievably ugly and i cant believe they made it in. there has to be a limit to "its fake looking on purpose"
-the frenetic transitions they do btw shots w/ a lot of them having ppl talking pwn. idk if thats from the show or what but it was sick
-the comedy was good. childish at times natch but always earnest
-john goodman and susan sarandon were so good as the parents and carried the acting part hard along w/ the ceo guy, which i now googled and he was in game of thrones wtf
-this was back when the wachowskis still knew how to direct action scenes, or had whatever coordinator knew how to do it w/ them
-ngl the biggest flaw of this movie is that some of the racing does way too much poo poo and goes overblown w/ the cgi. i had to go rewatch some scenes multiple times to figure out wtf was going on <.< not surprised this bombed in the cinema at all and id probably like it way less if i watched it there
-the twist where it turned out x man wasnt actually rex was one of my favorite parts of the movie and i was smiling ear to ear. i was so fkn pissed when they did the plastic surgeon bs at the end
-the ending part of the last race was epic and gave me goosebumps Lol

every1 always talks this movie up as an underrated classic and i was certain i was gonna pull the ttjo manuever and be the one guy that hates it, but nope, this was good. easily the best anime adaptation ive ever seen. ten times better than matrix 2 and 3 combined. im gonna spend an hour looking up what they adapted and it look like in the actual show now. the monkey must be from there cause theres no way hed be in the movie otherwise
4/5

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

The scene where Sparky guiltily walks out of the kitchen, Pops asks what he's doing, and Susan Sarandon slinks out behind him had me going for a split second

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fucker posted:

lol drat gonna have to pull off the Shopping List Review™ for speed racer here cause theres way too much i wanna say

-mostly good cgi and visual style trying to imitate the original show, but theres some exceptions that are unbelievably ugly and i cant believe they made it in. there has to be a limit to "its fake looking on purpose"
-the frenetic transitions they do btw shots w/ a lot of them having ppl talking pwn. idk if thats from the show or what but it was sick
-john goodman and susan sarandon were so good as the parents and carried the acting part hard along w/ the ceo guy, which i now googled and he was in game of thrones wtf
-this was back when the wachowskis still knew how to direct action scenes, or had whatever coordinator knew how to do it w/ them
-ngl the biggest flaw of this movie is that some of the racing does way too much poo poo and goes overblown w/ the cgi. i had to go rewatch some scenes multiple times to figure out wtf was going on <.< not surprised this bombed in the cinema at all and id probably like it way less if i watched it there
-the twist where it turned out x man wasnt actually rex was one of my favorite parts of the movie and i was smiling ear to ear. i was so fkn pissed when they did the plastic surgeon bs at the end

every1 always talks this movie up as an underrated classic and i was certain i was gonna pull the ttjo manuever and be the one guy that hates it, but nope, this was good. easily the best anime adaptation ive ever seen. ten times better than matrix 2 and 3 combined. im gonna spend an hour looking up what they adapted and it look like in the actual show now. the monkey must be from there cause theres no way hed be in the movie otherwise
4/5

ceo guys also in th thick of it which is one of the few british shows tht actually kicks rear end and he's great there too. really fuckin good ranter

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Fucker posted:

4/5

i dont know if they directly lifted too much apart from the cast from the original tv show but there's a lot of like nods to stuff from the show. Like the guy with the cockney gang is driving a car that reminded me of the Mammoth Car from eps 7 and 8 and the final leg of the big rally race was a reference to the great alpine race episode (which also featured snake oiler i think)

copy
Jul 26, 2007

so badass lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

copy posted:

so badass lol

this shot loving rules

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Sub-Actuality posted:

this shot loving rules

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

this shot loving rules

100%

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

copy posted:

so badass lol

Sub-Actuality posted:

this shot loving rules

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

copy posted:

i dont know if they directly lifted too much apart from the cast from the original tv show but there's a lot of like nods to stuff from the show. Like the guy with the cockney gang is driving a car that reminded me of the Mammoth Car from eps 7 and 8 and the final leg of the big rally race was a reference to the great alpine race episode (which also featured snake oiler i think)

the racer x thing is from cartoon/comics too

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I've been thinking a lot about speed racer.

Not in any sort of profound way, just the snake oiler guy shouting let's pinch these turds off and speed saying get that weak poo poo off my track popping into my head occasionally while i'm trying to work or play DQV.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
rewatched crank 2. yeah, its good and has some good action and rly funny moments (forgot ab the godzilla part lol)
the concept of the first movie was better, electricity isnt as fun, but this one had better scenes. 2 is very slightly better overall ig
3/5

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Crank 2, I love the stupid kaiju homage

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Oh and the shot of his balls being tazered that fades to a satellite view of earth

Art

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ok crank 2. this movies dogshit in a big way, idk i guess i cn see what other people like but it can kiss my rear end. i'm gonna watch speed racer again. ½

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i liked the godzilla gag

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

ok crank 2. this movies dogshit in a big way, idk i guess i cn see what other people like but it can kiss my rear end. i'm gonna watch speed racer again. ½

it has the benefit of not having the worst sex scene in film history, an honor held by Crank One.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I got the tude now posted:

it has the benefit of not having the worst sex scene in film history, an honor held by Crank One.

second place truly is the first loser

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Fungah! posted:

lol gently caress yeah

Fungah! posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Something I really like about speed racer is that it doesn’t apologize for keeping the spirit of the source material. A lot of lovely adaptations get mired in trying to update stories through contemporary references or self-effacing humor and it just feels like everyone from the creators to the audience are wasting their time with the process. The sincere approach opens the film up to some fair criticisms but I’d much rather deal with that then another cynical cash grab without any spirit

Also I’d like Christina ricci to be my wife

8.5/10

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

I got the tude now posted:

i forgot how much it felt like straight up rape

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Speed racer, first time I’ve seen it. Maybe I’m getting old but a lot of the racing was completely incomprehensible , the tracks distorting weirdly, cars jumping all over and bouncing off each other like beyblades, it was too much to keep track of. The ending of the big final race was hilariously overindulgent, like you could just watch that five minutes and get the entire plot of the movie. And a lot of the kid/monkey humor might have been sincere but was still just eye rolling dumb. That all being said there’s a lot of good in the film. The set and production design is outstanding, good performances from all of the leads, some really bizarre and memorable lines. And there are some really beautiful shots, like the one with the truck posted upthread. Kudos to the cast and set decorators but enough scenes look like poo poo (basically anything in the bad guy’s skyscraper) that I’m going to call this a bad movie on balance. Glad movie club got me to finally watch it

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I've always meant to watch Speed Racer because I've heard so much praise for it but every time I've tried I see how much it looks like a noisy CGI nightmare and it puts me off, so I'm glad Game Club gave me the final push to actually watch it. And... it basically was a noisy CGI nightmare lol, but they really leaned into it so it worked. It looks like a cartoon even when it's fully live-action because of the costuming, set design, constant use of bright primary colors, and the actors hamming it up which must have been really difficult to pull off but they did it. The actors were all clearly having a good time which is fun to see in a movie like this. I especially liked Matthew Fox as Racer X, who was cool.

The sequence where Royalton threatens Speed with a fixed race if he doesn’t sign with him, and it does like a visualization of him losing the race, and then back to Royalton threatening to bury his dad’s business in lawsuits, and then it does a visualization of the summons, Speed refuses the offer anyway, then it skips forward to after all that actually happens, is actually a really smart bit of filmmaking that impressed me.

The only thing I didn't like was Spritle and the monkey who annoyed me but I get they're from the source material. Very fun movie all around, I don't think I liked it as much as its biggest evangelists but I had fun through the whole thing and it had a ton of heart, I'm glad I watched it.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 23, 2023

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I kind of want to try the original show now, I've never seen it. I do remember enjoying the 90s reboot as a kid and was wondering why I never hear anyone talk about it but apparently it was canceled in Japan before the full planned 52 episodes were created, then after just 13 episodes aired in English it was taken down forever by a lawsuit, which I guess explains it lol. Looking all that up also got me to realize that what I've always thought of as the Speed Racer theme was actually the theme for that show specifically, which is the same song but more 90s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbXVIKgBEiQ

copy
Jul 26, 2007

def watch the og speed racer. it's a trip

copy
Jul 26, 2007

in awe of how perfect john goodman's casting was for pops racer. flawless

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

copy posted:

in awe of how perfect john goodman's casting was for pops racer. flawless

that dude is almost never the wrong answer to cast in anything

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Early Cartoon Network aired Speed Racer and I thought the movie was a nice adaptation of the cartoon. The dub version is basically what every anime spoof is mocking. Dexter’s Lab had a great Speed Racer episode, but youtube only has half the episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRTa55521Cw

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

john goodman is a treasure, i'm glad more and more are realising how good he is

crank 2 (rewatch) - the first movie except more. over the top and ridiculous. the kaiju scene put it over the first for me 2.5/5

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

need more power! [tim allen grunting noise]

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
crank 2 was just as good as crazy and off the rails as crank 1 and it rules

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Speed Racer was a lot of fun on a rewatch and it really is amazing how the special effects aged pretty nicely (likely because the sheer velocity of the camera moving means you don't get to linger onto them too long). I love the insane camera cuts and transitions from scene to scene and ridiculous scenes like the mafia guys bribing the viking races with pelts or everything to do with the fat kid and the chimp. John Goodman also really was inspired casting like people pointed out, he is a man whose presence really shines through the whole movie.

9/10.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mekchu posted:

crank 2 was just as good as crazy and off the rails as crank 1 and it rules

i'll rip my own rear end off before i watch crank 1

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

im like an hour into Speed Racer and this is one of the most excessive films i've ever seen. hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Speed Racer is incomprehensibly beautiful. they poured five different genres into a blender along with the entire Photoshop color palette and recorded the blending and came out with something completely riveting. whoever called it a live-action cartoon was completely right but i genuinely think it was more than that. even if the villains were cartoonishly evil, the tension was palpable and the action so over the top i couldn't help but adore it. it's not just brainless though, there's a lot of dope rear end camera shots and framing (i especially really liked the scene where Speed's talking about the past with the evil boss man and the flashbacks flow in behind him while the camera pans past and around him) and the segments like young Speed driving against doodled cars in the beginning really showed the Wachowskis weren't just in this for a paycheck, imo they wanted to genuinely make something flashy and artistic while still respecting the source material, and i think if it came out even three years later there'd be a lot more appreciation for it. i guess some scenes are too gaudy and flashy but this feels like a movie i can rewatch like three different times for three different reasons. laughed at it, felt the drama, John Goodman ftw, and that final race should be put into a museum

also seeming to subvert the trope of "mysterious person is actually someone important who was supposed to be dead" only to subvert that subversion got me lol

9/10