Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Sixth and Seventh believe strongly in Truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Harold Fjord posted:

Sixth and Seventh believe strongly in Truth

Six is for truth over solace in lies

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

ulmont posted:

That would check out, considering the author's note following Harrow.
The "banana-flavored soluble" one? Or did I miss something else?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

The "banana-flavored soluble" one? Or did I miss something else?

That’s the one. She’s elaborated on it in various other commentary.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I just thought of the phrase Warhammer 40Kiwi and wanted to share that.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Who has the idea that Jod was meant to be a druid and grabbed it by the wrong end? Rereading Nons now, I'm seeing all the little cues that inspired that idea and I agree. Especially the thing that makes Nona sad, the fact that sexpal can even do necromancy in the first place

They explicitly state what I was starting to work out at the end of Harrow that cavaliers in the river are well suited to beating up Resurrection beasts so the way they do it now where the cavaliers in the body while The necromancer fights in the river is just silly.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Harold Fjord posted:

Who has the idea that Jod was meant to be a druid and grabbed it by the wrong end? Rereading Nons now, I'm seeing all the little cues that inspired that idea and I agree. Especially the thing that makes Nona sad, the fact that sexpal can even do necromancy in the first place

They explicitly state what I was starting to work out at the end of Harrow that cavaliers in the river are well suited to beating up Resurrection beasts so the way they do it now where the cavaliers in the body while The necromancer fights in the river is just silly.

Isn't there an issue with the necromancers in the flesh going batshit insane/effectively catatonic at the sight of heralds though?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Partner finished Gideon last night. She also said that Gideon's voluntary and purposeful choice to join with Harrow may make Harrow stronger than, say, Ianthe, who ate her cav without his consent.

I said, it's... complicated.

She's now going out to find physical copies of Harrow and Nona, and she hasn't bothered to buy physical books in years. This is an extremely high compliment. She wants paper because "this is obviously going to require a lot of flipping back and forth between pages to figure out what's going on".

In summary, :allears: I've never seen her so excited about a new series, which is also how I felt about it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tell us how loud the Ptangggggg noise is from her brain when she starts harrow

My daughter was outraged (she came back to it later and loves them all now though)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

sebmojo posted:

In that case yes. She should read the mysterious study of Dr sex next

I sent her the link this afternoon, to help tide her over for Harrow.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Tell us how loud the Ptangggggg noise is from her brain when she starts harrow

My daughter was outraged (she came back to it later and loves them all now though)

Honestly, outraged is exactly the feeling I had when starting Harrow.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Harold Fjord posted:

Lol I'm pretty sure Jod was meant to be Captain Planet (in the "magical champion of Gaia" sense, not in the "by your powers combined" sense). He's also basically what happens when a teenage edgelord gets given that power.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Lol I'm pretty sure Jod was meant to be Captain Planet (in the "magical champion of Gaia" sense, not in the "by your powers combined" sense). He's also basically what happens when a teenage edgelord gets given that power.

I'm still on his side.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah that's fairly explicit I think.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Sometimes Tumblr has good things.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mad Hamish posted:

Sometimes Tumblr has good things.

Locked tomb fan art is really really good

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
With additional context, this is incredibly funny. Bolding mine

quote:

Then she said to the light, quite gently, “No, I don’t blame you, man … He was always looking for things to throw himself on.

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Honestly, outraged is exactly the feeling I had when starting Harrow.

I've "read" the first two books first as audiobooks (in English as a non-native speaker), and I had the feeling I had a stroke when starting HtN relatively shortly after GtN. It was a real uncomfortable feeling first as what I was hearing was not aligning with what I was remembering from GtN. I have never felt in such a way for more than a second or two (for example, when you wake up from a dream and have to come to terms with reality again) but here, it took a comparatively long time...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjswQA5_sv0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8lbNlrsyYg

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

The soup scene being the Patricia vine was perfect

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

This hits both of my daughters key interests absolutely dead center, ty

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Loki Kunti posted:

I've "read" the first two books first as audiobooks (in English as a non-native speaker), and I had the feeling I had a stroke when starting HtN relatively shortly after GtN. It was a real uncomfortable feeling first as what I was hearing was not aligning with what I was remembering from GtN. I have never felt in such a way for more than a second or two (for example, when you wake up from a dream and have to come to terms with reality again) but here, it took a comparatively long time...

Even reading it in regular book form it was extremely disorienting to me.

Did I misremember this? Wait, *that* didn't happen! What?! Was Gideon an unreliable narrator (I mean willfully, rather than just highly distractable?)

I can can certainly see why some people *really* dislike the experience, but I felt like it was worth it for when things all snap together and it accelerates into the back half (third?) of the book.

GtN is a comfort food book for me, I just massively enjoy reading / listening to it and have done so a number of times. HtN is good, in a very different way.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Man, an old school LucasArts style TLT game would rule. Someone call up Telltale Games!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Okay I've basically avoided tiktok completely and feel very comfortable in that decision still, but these were very funny

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

If the Lyctors are God's fingers, who are God's toes?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

If the Lyctors are God's fingers, who are God's toes?

Ianthe

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Whoever they are, Sarpedon is suckin on em

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

A few months ago while under the spell of the imp of the perverse I made an ill-advised expedition to the TLT section on AO3, and discovered that for some inscrutable reason there were many, many fics shipping John and Sarpedon. I can only assume it's because they're a rare instance of two male characters who spent a few pages in physical proximity.

Also a lot of people shipping Naberius and Palamedes, basically making them sex pals.

not sorry!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
One of them lyctors is going to figure out polygamy soon

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mad Hamish posted:

A few months ago while under the spell of the imp of the perverse I made an ill-advised expedition to the TLT section on AO3, and discovered that for some inscrutable reason there were many, many fics shipping John and Sarpedon. I can only assume it's because they're a rare instance of two male characters who spent a few pages in physical proximity.

Also a lot of people shipping Naberius and Palamedes, basically making them sex pals.

not sorry!

They literally had sex off screen, it's stated in the text. Babs and Pal is funny though.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I had a dream about Palamedes and Abigail discussing linguistic wordplay in TLT, but the only thing I remember is that "Alecto" was also "al-Ecto", making her literally The Other.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Palamedes is like the only person in the entire series to show concern for Naberius Tern as a person who has value in and of himself, so I don't know that it's that odd.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

silvergoose posted:

They literally had sex off screen, it's stated in the text. Babs and Pal is funny though.

John and Sarpedon? When is that said?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

John and Sarpedon? When is that said?

End of Harrow Nona.

[Gideon] “If we weren’t around, I don’t know what he’d do.” “I do,” said Ianthe. “Exactly the same thing he’s doing right now, without trying to hide it. Drowning his sorrows in whatever or whoever comes to hand … Do you know who I saw creeping out of his bedroom the other day? Grand Admiral Sarpedon, I poo poo you not.”

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 29, 2023

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Page 468 of Nona, according to my kindle app.

quote:

“I do,” said Ianthe. “Exactly the same thing he’s doing right now, without trying to hide it. Drowning his sorrows in whatever or whoever comes to hand … Do you know who I saw creeping out of his bedroom the other day? Grand Admiral Sarpedon, I poo poo you not.” “Oh, God, yuck,” said Kiriona, looking highly diverted. “That’s sick—” “—following a grand cavalcade of Cohort officials, ensigns, et cetera—” “Yeah, but Sarpedon is old!”
[

Dramatika fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 29, 2023

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Dramatika posted:

Page 468 of Nona, according to my kindle app.

[

In my defence, so many things are happening at the end of Nona that it's not unreasonable to miss that, assuming Ianthe is even telling the truth and not being manipulative and hurtful because she's, you know, Ianthe.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Harold Fjord posted:

One of them lyctors is going to figure out polygamy soon

'I hated the sexy parties' was an extremely funny line

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mad Hamish posted:

In my defence, so many things are happening at the end of Nona that it's not unreasonable to miss that, assuming Ianthe is even telling the truth and not being manipulative and hurtful because she's, you know, Ianthe.

Oh yeah not blaming you, and you're not wrong about Ianthe, but I'm in full belief that they bangin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sebmojo posted:

'I hated the sexy parties' was an extremely funny line

Relatable mood.