Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

eke out posted:

just skipping through the torture to see the next scene where lanfear smiles sinisterly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CainFortea posted:

Never mind, they don't need to kill hopper in this episode for the double gut punch.

Thanks, that's what i needed to hear

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Didn't expect the new hosed up backstory for Liandrin.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
What a loving episode, from Lanfear killing Liandrin's son, to literally all of Egwene's scenes, Mat having to abandon Rand AGAIN, Ryma, Maigan, jesus loving christ Rafe. I'm dead

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

pik_d posted:

What a loving episode, from Lanfear killing Liandrin's son, to literally all of Egwene's scenes, Mat having to abandon Rand AGAIN, Ryma, Maigan, jesus loving christ Rafe. I'm dead

Ryma begging her warder to kill her.

Ryma folding a loving sul'dam in half like origami.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Ryma should have learned Balefire instead of that folding trick. Could have saved her husband.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that was definitely a heavy episode. it was good, yeah, but i think it did things TOO well in a way and i def can't see myself going out of my way to rewatch it. it's really gonna gently caress up the show-only folks, though.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The books never did the horror of what being a damane means justice honestly.

Egwene mentions the pitcher once in a flashback but it feels almost pedestrian compared to what the show just did with the same scene.

And frankly the abject horror of being damane needs that.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Johnny Joestar posted:

that was definitely a heavy episode. it was good, yeah, but i think it did things TOO well in a way and i def can't see myself going out of my way to rewatch it. it's really gonna gently caress up the show-only folks, though.

Yeah, I can normally get through some pretty dark stuff but I could have maybe done with one less of those scenes. Honestly could have used a check in on Perrin, otherwise I assume he will just be fast traveling to Falme off screen.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I will rewatch for Lanfear 💯

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Natural 20 posted:

Egwene mentions the pitcher once in a flashback but it feels almost pedestrian compared to what the show just did with the same scene.

Exactly. Drawing that scene out over the course of one (1) episode is exactly how to handle that on-screen, just like the arches. Cut away from it, keep coming back and showing more progress through it, make each of those scenes extremely present and visceral, make it the framework on which the rest of the story of the episode is being hung, but don't linger on any one scene longer than a couple of minutes. At the end it feels like it's taken you one day to live a lifetime

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Johnny Joestar posted:

Natural 20 posted:

Rafe is a Darkfriend for putting us through that

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Barreft posted:

episode was eh

Meh is right. Some awful acting being carried by a few standouts.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
An Aes Sedai of the white tower did not invent the a'dam! Fake news!

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Treesinging was cool. Siuan’s head spikes owned. I feel like Alanna is gonna bond Rand sooner rather than later.

She really called him Ishy :laugh: What is the significance of bringing 14 aes sedai to Cairhien? I thought it was 13 to do all the heavy duty stuff?

Next week: Face it on your feet :black101:

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

The parts with Egwene, Lanfear and Ishamael I loved. The fight I couldn't get over the kind of goofy choreography of it all. None of it felt like it flowed well. It did not do anything to sell how dangerous damane actually are in battle and you get shots that just feel like everyone is standing around doing nothing. The stuff in Cairehian was just kind of boring. I hate everything they have done with Lan this season and hopefully it's over with soon. An episode with some high highs and some low lows.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I think Egwene recounting the damane training worked better than actually seeing it. Renna being a real piece of poo poo helped but showing rather than telling didn't feel like it worked. I think the retelling of it worked because you get Egwene's rage and despair expressed by Egwene. When they're showing it its 30 minutes of a woman getting abused which is just miserable. I feel like the actor would have more to work with that than act like you're being tortured.

Maybe they do more with Siuan next week but all I was thinking was move, get out of the way. There's this whole momentum and now we're going to the stuff from early book 2. gently caress off, shut up.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
This show cares about warders a lot more than I do.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Lan has really just been a disappointment all around. The actor is great but all of his plots have been boring at best or annoying at worst. I just don't think they know what to do with him.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

After that episode I feel like if the show still ends up with Seanchan being the lesser evil they have to make peace with there may be riots

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

CainsDescendant posted:

Lan has really just been a disappointment all around. The actor is great but all of his plots have been boring at best or annoying at worst. I just don't think they know what to do with him.

Moiraine's new scenes to keep her involved in the story have been fine to great, but yea a big miss with Lan imo, though after this season they shouldn't need to do it anymore. He's with Rand and co for a while after this, and then they can just immediately bond him with Nynaeve.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Nihilarian posted:

After that episode I feel like if the show still ends up with Seanchan being the lesser evil they have to make peace with there may be riots

it'll definitely make mat's stuff with them a fair bit more interesting, that's for sure

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Hexel posted:

Treesinging was cool. Siuan’s head spikes owned. I feel like Alanna is gonna bond Rand sooner rather than later.

She really called him Ishy :laugh: What is the significance of bringing 14 aes sedai to Cairhien? I thought it was 13 to do all the heavy duty stuff?

Next week: Face it on your feet :black101:

I think it's just "A Lot" the same way it is at the start of The Great Hunt- "We'd never bring this many sisters even for rulers" etc

The fight in Falme is hard to say, because, like, you wanna just have the camera actually showing what's going on with the use of the power, but to do that it does end up feeling like there's not really any flow or back and forth.

I was glad they went in deep on how horrific fighting with the power can be, since the horror elements can kinda get glossed over sometimes in text, outside of places like Dumai's wells or Rand's Seanchan assault with Callandor at the end of TPoD where it's very explicitly dwelled upon. Makes more sense why the oath against violence is a thing.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Gwaihir posted:

I think it's just "A Lot" the same way it is at the start of The Great Hunt- "We'd never bring this many sisters even for rulers" etc

It's also two sisters from each ajah (I did not scour the scene to count I am just assuming) so I just thought it was a diplomatic or tower politics thing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Moiraine's jammies look comfortable AF. Wonder if those are standard Aes Sedai issue or hers from before.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah that was as rough as it needed to be

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Flowing Thot posted:

Ryma should have learned Balefire instead of that folding trick. Could have saved her husband.

Was nice to see that someone at least realized that if you know how to heal people, you know how to kill people real good too.

And the bit with Loial, I see why they're doing it but I like the way they handled them in the books better.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

An Aes Sedai of the white tower did not invent the a'dam! Fake news!

“The first a'dam was made by Deain Sedai”. That’s either a helluva last name coincidence, or it was an Aes Sedai who invented it.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Lotta wiggle room on the oaths there. “Never use the Power as a weapon except to slowly turn someone into a human pretzel. In defense. Yeah.”

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Grundulum posted:

“The first a'dam was made by Deain Sedai”. That’s either a helluva last name coincidence, or it was an Aes Sedai who invented it.

I believe "canon" is that there were many channelers calling themselves "sedai" in Seanchan before the arrival of hawkwing's armies, but they were not sedai of the white tower.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Lotta wiggle room on the oaths there. “Never use the Power as a weapon except to slowly turn someone into a human pretzel. In defense. Yeah.”

I mean, she was using it in the last defense of her life.

She was TRYING to get them to kill her, so she thought she'd die.

Oaths don't say poo poo about not putting yourself into situations where your life is in danger.

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

Sounds like this episode is a big oof. I think I'll be watching with an eye on my phone as distraction for the grim bits.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Goofballs posted:

I think Egwene recounting the damane training worked better than actually seeing it. Renna being a real piece of poo poo helped but showing rather than telling didn't feel like it worked. I think the retelling of it worked because you get Egwene's rage and despair expressed by Egwene. When they're showing it its 30 minutes of a woman getting abused which is just miserable. I feel like the actor would have more to work with that than act like you're being tortured.

yeah, it was pointlessly exploitative imo – egwene had far less agency than in the equivalent book scenes. this was the worst ep of the season so far.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dr. Clockwork posted:

her direct life was threatened and she was operating on the assumption of imminent death, it's literally covered by that

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

exmarx posted:

yeah, it was pointlessly exploitative imo – egwene had far less agency than in the equivalent book scenes. this was the worst ep of the season so far.

I disagree on pointless. Tonelessly recounting how awful things are works fine in a book, because your mind fills in the horror, but I can't imagine it working anywhere near as well on screen.

I quite liked the episode, wasn't my favorite but it felt necessary. :shrug:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

silvergoose posted:

I disagree on pointless. Tonelessly recounting how awful things are works fine in a book, because your mind fills in the horror, but I can't imagine it working anywhere near as well on screen.

I quite liked the episode, wasn't my favorite but it felt necessary. :shrug:

Yeah I've seen dozens of book readers this week saying they need to explain the a'dam. How awful it is, what it does, etc. I think they covered that well :ohdear:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This thread last week: They need to properly express the horror of the a'dam!

This thread this week: No not like that!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

exmarx posted:

Also disagreeing with pointless - honestly the books gloss over the slavery parts of the seanchan far too often. The fact there's a truce between Rand and the empire, or the fact that Matt is involved with Tuon, etc, should be repulsive to the reader/watcher in a way I don't think the books did a good job bringing across.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It was repulsive to me, I was wondering why so many people thought Tuon was cool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Problematic readers?