Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

BJ Penn is my frame of reference for the "Coasting on Talent". Guy was INSANELY talented and gifted in flexibility and athleticism, but was notorious for having "yes men" as part of his group who wouldn't push and he himself also had discipline and ego issues(basically he didn't work on his cardio)all of which culminated in his eventual down fall ironically to Frankie Edgar who was regarded are largely unremarkable in terms of skill set and ability outside of being very gutsy and not getting tired. The idea DOES exist and can crop up irl from time to time, but as things in sports have advanced it's just not there any more.

That's true, though MMA is a bit of an exception that has only started to become as "polished" as other athletic endeavors in more recent years.

It's basically creating a new sport and people gradually figuring out what works best, and if you had a better intuitive grasp of things early on you could probably beat people who tried harder, but did so in a way that wasn't as productive.

Edit: I find that the shounen presentation of competitive sports (or other activities) is actually uncannily accurate to youth/amateur-level sports/skills, though. When I did cello seriously as a teenager, there was a very clear hierarchy in our city, and it was obvious who was the most talented, who worked the hardest, etc. And at that level, you can usually become top-tier through hard work alone. The hard work distinction just fades once you get to actual national/international-level competition in these things.

Basically the talent is far more noticeable at that level (since a very talented person can rapidly become better than most of their peers and reach a competitive level), but can also be overcome (to some extent) with time and hard work. But at some point everyone is both talented and hard working, and you basically need hyper-talent (plus luck in the case of the performing arts) to get past that.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Kanchome's funny.

I like him as things go on but he sucks early on, though I admit some of that is tied to being tied to Fulgore who is a creepy pervert until they stop doing that and he becomes awesome.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ytlaya posted:

That's true, though MMA is a bit of an exception that has only started to become as "polished" as other athletic endeavors in more recent years.

It's basically creating a new sport and people gradually figuring out what works best, and if you had a better intuitive grasp of things early on you could probably beat people who tried harder, but did so in a way that wasn't as productive.

Edit: I find that the shounen presentation of competitive sports (or other activities) is actually uncannily accurate to youth/amateur-level sports/skills, though. When I did cello seriously as a teenager, there was a very clear hierarchy in our city, and it was obvious who was the most talented, who worked the hardest, etc. And at that level, you can usually become top-tier through hard work alone. The hard work distinction just fades once you get to actual national/international-level competition in these things.

Basically the talent is far more noticeable at that level (since a very talented person can rapidly become better than most of their peers and reach a competitive level), but can also be overcome (to some extent) with time and hard work. But at some point everyone is both talented and hard working, and you basically need hyper-talent (plus luck in the case of the performing arts) to get past that.

Obligatory Medalist plug for discussing this very topic as well as what it means to be a "genius", "prodigy", "talented", or a "natural".

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
"Talent" is always a weird way to put it, imo. In anime and manga someone who's "just super talented" is often portrayed as coming out of literal nowhere, looking at something for the first time and just innately being good at it - but that's incredibly rare in the real world. While in real life there are odd outliers with the absolute perfect physical traits that give them an advantage for, say, swimming; that's not really the same thing since if that person doesn't train like everyone else they'll still be a poo poo athlete and simply having longer arms isn't really talent, it's luck of the genetic draw. And in less physical competition, like art, a lot of what gets glossed over and chalked up to talent is simply a person's entire life. Someone who's been in love with drawing as a child and developed those specific fine motor skills and perception will often simply be told they're "really talented at drawing" for most of their life and be given and endless barrage of art themed gifts and assistance for most of their youth and not only does that really downplay the formative years they spent focused on that thing, but it tends to lead to a lot of people who get into those interests later in life feeling like they're just never good enough because other people are always presented as just being innately better.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nuebot posted:

"Talent" is always a weird way to put it, imo. In anime and manga someone who's "just super talented" is often portrayed as coming out of literal nowhere, looking at something for the first time and just innately being good at it - but that's incredibly rare in the real world. While in real life there are odd outliers with the absolute perfect physical traits that give them an advantage for, say, swimming; that's not really the same thing since if that person doesn't train like everyone else they'll still be a poo poo athlete and simply having longer arms isn't really talent, it's luck of the genetic draw. And in less physical competition, like art, a lot of what gets glossed over and chalked up to talent is simply a person's entire life. Someone who's been in love with drawing as a child and developed those specific fine motor skills and perception will often simply be told they're "really talented at drawing" for most of their life and be given and endless barrage of art themed gifts and assistance for most of their youth and not only does that really downplay the formative years they spent focused on that thing, but it tends to lead to a lot of people who get into those interests later in life feeling like they're just never good enough because other people are always presented as just being innately better.

It can be true to some extent. With cello growing up, both myself and this other very talented guy started playing in 5th grade, and within like 2 years we were better than almost everyone else, despite some of the other kids having played since they were in kindergarten. We just had an intuitive grasp of things that others didn't have. One of the more specific manifestations of this is that some other students needed to "learn vibrato," while it was just immediately obvious to us. And, in contrast, despite playing piano since first grade, I never became very good at it. My ability at cello was higher than my ability at piano within just 2-3 years, despite practicing the same amount with each. I just had no talent for it.

But that sort of talent is just a prerequisite for high-level competition. I think that pretty much anyone that reaches a high level has that sort of talent, and everyone else just quits at some point, like I ended up doing with piano in high school. And it's probably less of a factor in more athletic endeavors, since it's not like you can become faster/stronger due to intuition.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7493/my-hero-academia-chapter-401

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
God's fallen prostate

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
On one hand, All for One realizing that Stain would undoubtedly be against someone like him makes sense given his initial encounter with Shigaraki and obsession with All Might.

On the other hand, come the gently caress on. This is the most blatant case of convenient powers as the plot demands I've ever seen.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

That second to last page looks cool as hell

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

On one hand, All for One realizing that Stain would undoubtedly be against someone like him makes sense given his initial encounter with Shigaraki and obsession with All Might.

On the other hand, come the gently caress on. This is the most blatant case of convenient powers as the plot demands I've ever seen.

lmao

ikr

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

O, no need to post such A Negative criticism of the work, why can't you just B Positive?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I forgot, isn't the whole point of AfOs current condition that the quirks he has access to are all over the place, due to his body rewinding to younger and younger versions of himself? If that's the case, him still being able to use the quirks he prepared after Tartarus to perfectly counter Stain is really dumb.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Yeah, like, I think it's kinda lame when jojo stands can ~apparently~ do some bullshit that's required for the plot to work, but at least there it at least sort of makes sense if you squint most of the time.
Late MHA just loving makes poo poo up as it goes along. This honestly feels kind of like a retcon because "antigen modification" implies he just changed his blood type, which has been established to have an effect on Stain's quirk, but ultimately shouldn't be a big deal. Maybe the translation is off or I'm missing something, but it feels dumb. And like even if what's written makes sense there's obviously also the nitpick that apparently he just kind of found the one person with this useless quirk he needed in time to counter Stain.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Each part of this individually makes sense but does feel like an rear end pull. The idea is Stain's quirk works on the blood that matches what he licked, with stronger effect based on type. But All For One basically changed all the blood inside him, so Stain would need fresh blood to ingest for his quirk, since the blood outside no longer matches the blood inside.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Scholtz posted:

O, no need to post such A Negative criticism of the work, why can't you just B Positive?

:argh:

Lord_Magmar posted:

Each part of this individually makes sense but does feel like an rear end pull.

Yeah, all of the individual ideas make perfect sense when you think about it. Of course he'd need to make contingency against someone who wouldn't join him and idolizes All Might. Of course he'd need some way to obscure his identity while he's in the shadows puppeting Shiggy. But it comes together in such a way that it feels frustrating.

Mymla posted:

Yeah, like, I think it's kinda lame when jojo stands can ~apparently~ do some bullshit that's required for the plot to work, but at least there it at least sort of makes sense if you squint most of the time.
Late MHA just loving makes poo poo up as it goes along. This honestly feels kind of like a retcon because "antigen modification" implies he just changed his blood type, which has been established to have an effect on Stain's quirk, but ultimately shouldn't be a big deal. Maybe the translation is off or I'm missing something, but it feels dumb. And like even if what's written makes sense there's obviously also the nitpick that apparently he just kind of found the one person with this useless quirk he needed in time to counter Stain.

Yeah, basically. A Quirk that just changed his blood type so it worked less effectively on him would really be all he needs to justify coming out ahead here. It could give the two some time to get hits in on him, but still leave Stain in a position where he is caught off guard. It'd still be overly convenient, but I could probably accept that easier than "I ejected all of my blood and made new blood and that blood is a new type and also, I'm not paralyzed anymore."

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Imagine your quirk awakening and it just lets you change your blood type. I guess you’d be a hero at the blood donation bank.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Stain rules so hard that AfO had to get a power that shoots all the blood out of his body uselessly and replaces it with different blood. AfO so afraid of Stain that he had to track down the most useless and absurdly specific power just to have a counter. Stain getting turned into a fine red mist and then All-Might losing half his body and turning completely psycho. This series is better than it has ever been and I can’t imagine being half this pumped when Bakugo comes back with his jeart to help Deku redeem Shigaraki or whatever

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
What on earth is with Horikoshi and absolutely refusing to allow any cool big moment to land in this arc? Why on earth does he keep writing these potentially cool emotional high points and then yanking the football away at the last second with a boring asspull? It wouldn't even be noticeable if it had only happened a couple times but it's endemic at this point.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Between this and JJK, this is asspull week, lmao.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

joke's on you; i actually love being body slammed by one dozen perfect wrestlers. and my mouth isn't filled with bloodm, it's victory wine

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I know Allmight is a Superman type with endless compassion who doesn't kill (some exceptions apply), but him vibing with the serial killer and mourning his passage is still a little funny/odd. An alliance of necessity is one thing, as is Allmight having to go a bit darker, but actually feeling empathy for Stain is a bit of a swerve from those two ideas.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

RatHat posted:

Imagine your quirk awakening and it just lets you change your blood type. I guess you’d be a hero at the blood donation bank.

probably better than the awakening where your blood forcibly ejects from your body

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Being able to change your blood composition would be pretty great though. Imagine going out for a night on the town with the boys, knocking back some brews, and then experiencing the unmatched thrill of drunk driving.

The moment you see lights in your rear view just expel all the alcohol from your blood and "Is there any problem, officer?"

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 22, 2023

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I'd rather not experience the "unmatched thrill" of drunk driving, personally. Also when AFO says "antigen modification" it sounds like a quirk name, so probably can't do that anyway. Ofc probably shouldn't read too much to speedscan phrasing.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I think it would have been better set up if they had All for One seek out and steal Vlad King's quirk at some point during the battle, since it seems like he's basically using the same quirk to poo poo all his blood out and it would make this seem like much less of an asspull that he just happened to find this incredibly obscure quirk during total societal collapse.

Instead this is yet another case of the Invincible Villain getting owned and then going "actually it turns out I just happen to have the exact thing to counter this neener neener."

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Staltran posted:

I'd rather not experience the "unmatched thrill" of drunk driving, personally. Also when AFO says "antigen modification" it sounds like a quirk name, so probably can't do that anyway. Ofc probably shouldn't read too much to speedscan phrasing.

Eh it seems pretty on point for AFO to have an asspull Quirk

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Yeah, the problem isn't that he's squirming out of everything, it's that he's doing it for free.

So effectively this just becomes every major character from the series showing up, doing their super move, then getting denied. Only the final fight will matter.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
now I'm no doctor, but I think if you expel all the blood from your body, you die. but maybe they teach you something differently in 2nd semester of med school or something

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Wow something kinda cool happened and then AFO/Shigaraki immediately pulled some bullshit out of their rear end to reset the fight with the heroes being worse off than before. Who could have seen that coming.

This entire arc is just watching a game of Calvinball slowly play out over the course of two years but played straight.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

FireWorksWell posted:

Eh it seems pretty on point for AFO to have an asspull Quirk

You think AFO has a quirk to get him out of DUI charges??? Even if he wanted to travel by car I can't imagine him driving himself. I could totally see him making Kurogiri chaffeur him around and refusing to explain why he doesn't want to just teleport, though. Think you quoted the wrong post

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

ImpAtom posted:

Kenshin was fun but yeah it's hard to really enjoy it anymore considering the artist's crimes and the fact so many of his mangaka friends tried to defend him over it. It's one of those where even if you are 'divorce the artist from the art' it's kinda hard when the art is so connected.

"so connected" feels almost like an understatement even lol. rurouni kenshin was a story about a man trying to move beyond his dark past and become a different human, feeling disgust at who they are/were. i really think it's drawn from his own internal conflict in a very strange way

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yup I quoted the wrong post. Oh well.

Eggplant Squire posted:

Wow something kinda cool happened and then AFO/Shigaraki immediately pulled some bullshit out of their rear end to reset the fight with the heroes being worse off than before. Who could have seen that coming.

Yup, pretty much the same feeling of "this manga's finally been pretty on a decent streak" and then sharp disappointment as always.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

FireWorksWell posted:

Yup I quoted the wrong post. Oh well.

I can't get the image of Kurogiri driving a limo with AFO + full life support equipment in the back seats out of my head and it's your fault

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Well, imagine his doctor doing it instead, with attached robotic legs so he can reach the pedals

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Kanos posted:

What on earth is with Horikoshi and absolutely refusing to allow any cool big moment to land in this arc? Why on earth does he keep writing these potentially cool emotional high points and then yanking the football away at the last second with a boring asspull? It wouldn't even be noticeable if it had only happened a couple times but it's endemic at this point.

Stain sucks and it would have sucked, a lot, if he somehow materialized on the sidelines and was the one to kill AfO

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

HE'S IN RANGE TO USE HIS GLOOP WARP

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

tbp posted:

"so connected" feels almost like an understatement even lol. rurouni kenshin was a story about a man trying to move beyond his dark past and become a different human, feeling disgust at who they are/were. i really think it's drawn from his own internal conflict in a very strange way

Oh I dont know about that

I think he's just a piece of poo poo and clearly wanted to remain being one

Prowler
May 24, 2004

This is all really, really silly. Mostly the dumb kind of silly, but honestly I did laugh at the absurdity.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

now I'm no doctor, but I think if you expel all the blood from your body, you die. but maybe they teach you something differently in 2nd semester of med school or something

At some point you have to accept this is a shonen manga and that you can do things like "Lose all your blood and then your grandson has the blood from the vampire who sucked your blood pumped back into you and you are better without consequences."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Prowler posted:

This is all really, really silly. Mostly the dumb kind of silly, but honestly I did laugh at the absurdity.

I will give Hori credit, of all the ways I thought about that encounter playing out, that was definitely not even a speck