Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

jassa posted:

One of Luffy's greatest strengths is his emotional intelligence, it's the lens he views the world through... including his own devil fruit awakening. He understands the meaning of it without knowing the finer details such as the name of the fruit or its historical significance.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if that outlook on life is a contributing factor for (or a symptom of) hearing the voice of all things.

Yeah, I got to the part in my re-read where they're trying to make it to the rebel camp in Alabasta and Luffy just plops down and goes "I quit" because he knows that just going after Crocodile directly is the best way to take care of things and I think it's the first time you get to see why he's the captain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

jassa posted:

It's a subtle distinction, but I don't think of G5 Luffy as careless so much as carefree.

Yeah carefree is the better word for sure, but it still seems like an exploitable weakness. I feel like if he'd been G4 Snakeman or whatever he'd have sensed that Kizaru was going for Usopp and immediately diverted to try and stop him. But this works narratively because now that Luffy essentially has reality-warping powers, the fact that he gets distracted by having too much fun will stop the fights from feeling too one-sided, Oda does it again, etc.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I highly doubt Luffy knows what's going on in his head normally, let alone in Gear Fifth.
I always assumed his internal monologue was just

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cat Machine posted:

Also “meat” and “friends”

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Luffy has always just said what he’s thinking, he has no internal voice whatsoever. Only external.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Luffy has always just said what he’s thinking, he has no internal voice whatsoever. Only external.

On one of the early SBS the question was "How is Luffy so calm all the time?" and Oda's answer was "Probably because he's really stupid."

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 22, 2023

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
So, how many Vegapunks bite it when Saturn actually makes his presence known and re-turns the Pacifistas back on our crew?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
https://youtu.be/XvLxFoO8Do0?si=-bNoOngLMadlGqOB

He brings up a good point at 10:01 that I didn't really catch before. When Kaido asks Luffy "Who are you?", what he really means is "Who is it that I'm talking to? Luffy or Joy Boy/Nika?" Since Kaido is knowledgeable on how Devil Fruits work, he might not have been sure whether the spirit of Luffy's Devil Fruit had taken over his mind. While Nika definitely has an influence over Luffy's personality in Gear Fifth, Luffy is still in the driver's seat since his will is strong enough to keep Nika from taking over completely.

Now that begs the question... What would a "mindless" Nika-Luffy look like? If the Impel Guards turned into mindless animals, a human taking over would probably mean a coherent yet totally different personality. The person you knew wouldn't be there anymore. This would also explain how Chopper's Monster form also used to be a mindless killing machine but now he's got it under control.

Hell, what would that look like for Sengoku for his Buddha personality to take over? That'd be an interesting plot dilemma if Luffy were to have his mind taken over and start attacking his allies for fun before snapping out of it or something.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Luffy is going to defeat Blackbeard by getting really hungry in Gear Fifth then hallucinating BB as a big piece of meat

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

On one of the early SBS the question was "How is Luffy so calm all the time?" and Oda's answer was "Probably because he's really stupid."
The path to enlightenment is "be more stupid"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kizaru is Gear 5's biggest weakness, someone who doesn't take things Too Seriously, but takes them Only Just Seriously Enough To Not Care About Your poo poo

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

No thoughts. Head empty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJEjBB1RpzQ&t=77s

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Kizaru is Gear 5's biggest weakness, someone who doesn't take things Too Seriously, but takes them Only Just Seriously Enough To Not Care About Your poo poo
Kizaru sarcastically going "Be gentle with me~" definitely applies a -25 debuff to Gum Gum Dawn Throw

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Now that begs the question... What would a "mindless" Nika-Luffy look like? If the Impel Guards turned into mindless animals, a human taking over would probably mean a coherent yet totally different personality. The person you knew wouldn't be there anymore. This would also explain how Chopper's Monster form also used to be a mindless killing machine but now he's got it under control.

Granted that is how Zoans usually seem to work. But I think that thematically it doesn't gel to have the fruit that literally embodies liberation work by suppressing your will and replacing it with some foreign entity's. If it was supposed to be some sort of cruel ironic twist thing sure but that's definitely the wrong tone for this manga.

I'm pretty sure G5 Luffy is just Luffy. He's just influenced by the immense freedom he gets from being in G5.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Cat Machine posted:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

WAIT

I just realized something about OPLA season 2

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Cat Machine fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 22, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mods, please add to the OP

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Cat Machine posted:

The path to enlightenment is "be more stupid"

(source)

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

:perfect:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Sugar, doo doo doo doo doo doo

Oh, Honey Honey, doo doo doo doo doo doo

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Waffleman_ posted:

WAIT

I just realized something about OPLA season 2

I'VE BEEN SAYING THIS

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Did the dog eat the gun fruit or the other way around? I forget.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gun ate dog

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Jamie Lee Curtis has said that once the SAG strike is settled, she will join the lobby to cast her as Kureha lol

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It's a gun eat dog world out there

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

My god that's a lot of merchandise

It never ends :stare: