Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/JoshuaFechter/status/1705241160480874964

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

All mayors are Republicans deep down. They may say things to hide this in public, but they're all owned by business and real estate interests in their cities first and foremost.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

he said he'd be voting in the gop primary but didn't say who he's voting for lol. coward

that entire article is just a list of 90s republican talking points. the party label was clearly just expedient

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh are Dallas mayors term limited? Because he's done.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

he's in his first term so i don't think that's it. the mayor only has an $80k salary tho so maybe he just wants a jp morgan board slot

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's how I know I've been blackpilled by the Paxton trial, because I'm reading this Menendez indictment and my initial reaction is "none of this will stick"

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1705228798373908672

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

What does The Blackpill do again?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cynical pessimism.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

It gives you the cool black oil eyes from the X-Files

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

blackpill has that weird anise flavor, i hate it

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

zoux posted:

Here's how I know I've been blackpilled by the Paxton trial, because I'm reading this Menendez indictment and my initial reaction is "none of this will stick"

Unlike Texas politics where everyone is renowned for being shitheads, New Jersey politics have a reputation for being corrupt.

So I guess, yeah. Who knows, it'll take forever to process him anyways, New York still has yet to figure out what to do with George Santos.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

SlothfulCobra posted:

Unlike Texas politics where everyone is renowned for being shitheads, New Jersey politics have a reputation for being corrupt.

So I guess, yeah. Who knows, it'll take forever to process him anyways, New York still has yet to figure out what to do with George Santos.

idk m8, being corrupt shitheads is kind of our thing

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
i guess Ron Desantis was in Midland this week carrying on with this pointless campaign.

looks like no one told him that $2/gal gas would destroy the permian basin so I'm glad he's as in touch w/ reality as usual

Jake Gittes fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 22, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol incredible instincts

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Even in Houston people bitch and moan when the price of oil goes too low. What does he think he's doing?

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

My favorite thing about the pandemic was when oil futures went negative, gas dropped to $1 here in the Valley, and this hellstate nearly collapsed.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Even in Houston people bitch and moan when the price of oil goes too low. What does he think he's doing?

I think he's on the opposite side of the gulf coast from all the oil refineries and he's trying to get himself ready for that political cartoon about the president with the levers.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Oil prices are inversely correlated with how long the leash is before Aggie boosters do something incredibly dumb/expensive

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

All mayors are Republicans deep down. They may say things to hide this in public, but they're all owned by business and real estate interests in their cities first and foremost.

Didn't he just have a tiff with the city council over whether or not to cut property taxes and slash the city budget to save homeowners a basically insignificant amount of money in exchange for decimating the city's ability to function? I don't even know that he's working in the interests of the business and real estate types, but maybe trying to do some weird Trumpy populist thing. But I haven't been following it closely.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I just checked his campaign website to see if he presented himself differently in the last election but it's already been updated featuring the WSJ editorial

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1705561196529942976

Debbie Duke huh

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1705228798373908672

I’m sure there are differences, even big differences in the cases but after the feds failed to prosecute Bob McDonnell , I have no hope for anyone ever getting charged with corruption or bribery charges with the current SCOTUS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_McDonnell#Federal_corruption_charges

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

IT BURNS posted:

My favorite thing about the pandemic was when oil futures went negative, gas dropped to $1 here in the Valley, and this hellstate nearly collapsed.

Inshallah

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

IT BURNS posted:

i remember that being a particularly scary day in a very scary time, but then I started to figure out how much money I could make storing oil in my swimming pool and felt a little less like poo poo.

it would've been like a scrooge mcduck vault situation but literally toxic instead of metaphorically toxic

Jake Gittes fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 23, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the strong must protect the (light) sweet (crude)

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
gently caress a pool equipment there's black gold to be made

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Ok Google, how much is a kilo of black gold worth?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I seem to recall some dipshit did buy a futures contract for one barrel of oil when the price was negative and was shocked and dismayed when it was actually delivered and he had to figure out what to do with it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

iirc it was a lot more than a single barrel

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I seem to recall some dipshit did buy a futures contract for one barrel of oil when the price was negative and was shocked and dismayed when it was actually delivered and he had to figure out what to do with it.

This story didn't happen, but is close to what did happen.

Oil prices went negative on the next to last day of a contract month and someone "bought" a negative contract with no intention of taking delivery. He couldn't offload the contract that day and started to panic when finding out he needed space for 1000 barrels in Cushing to accept delivery (contracts are in 1000 barrel increments). The price went above $0 the next day and he was able to unload the contract. The only reason the price went negative was because you must take delivery and storage was extremely close to full.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Yeah you're not buying spreadsheet oil you are buying real oil with an intent to take delivery in Cushing, OK and if you can't lmao you are gonna have some problems

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what happened to on-paper commodities futures during early covid? i assume oil didn't come close to zero there

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Oil! posted:

This story didn't happen, but is close to what did happen.

Oil prices went negative on the next to last day of a contract month and someone "bought" a negative contract with no intention of taking delivery. He couldn't offload the contract that day and started to panic when finding out he needed space for 1000 barrels in Cushing to accept delivery (contracts are in 1000 barrel increments). The price went above $0 the next day and he was able to unload the contract. The only reason the price went negative was because you must take delivery and storage was extremely close to full.

Thanks for the clarification. That's even funnier, that he misunderstood what he was buying to that great a degree but thought he had found the One Trick They Don't Want You To Know.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

i say swears online posted:

what happened to on-paper commodities futures during early covid? i assume oil didn't come close to zero there

It was negative on CME. If you go into the field it gets really complicated. In West Texas, prices are posted daily for what the refineries will pay for spot oil and I don't think those got negative. The company I worked for at the time was very close to a refinery that did not want to go through the expense of a shut down and negotiated a base price to sell direct to them. It wasn't used since prices recovered quickly, but it kept us operating about 40% of our wells as economic.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Ok Google, how much is a kilo of black gold worth?

Texas T?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Thanks for the clarification. That's even funnier, that he misunderstood what he was buying to that great a degree but thought he had found the One Trick They Don't Want You To Know.

I mean, commodities futures kind of are the one trick the people who know how to do it don't want you to know about.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I mean, commodities futures kind of are the one trick the people who know how to do it don't want you to know about.

what if gold hoarding but it takes 1000x the room to store

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

i say swears online posted:

what if gold hoarding but it takes 1000x the room to store

The one trick they don't want you to know people aren't even dealing with the actual product. They just buy up the contracts, manipulate the market to drive up the price and then sell the contracts to whoever actually needs to take delivery. Maybe they perform some important function in the investing ecosystem, but it just seems like consumers would be better off they weren't loving around in the middle to drive up the prices of products we have to buy anyway.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

arbitrage increases liquidity!! love too middle-man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

Cojawfee posted:

The one trick they don't want you to know people aren't even dealing with the actual product. They just buy up the contracts, manipulate the market to drive up the price and then sell the contracts to whoever actually needs to take delivery. Maybe they perform some important function in the investing ecosystem, but it just seems like consumers would be better off they weren't loving around in the middle to drive up the prices of products we have to buy anyway.

Yeah, liquidity isn't really needed in an oil market with a dozen sellers and maybe 5-10 buyers. Granted both sides have opposing interests.