Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Chamale posted:

The lockdowns were one of the greatest public health successes of the 21st century, saving millions of lives. But no politician will say this because it'll kill their re-election chances. The policies surrounding the lockdowns were also one of the largest upward wealth transfers in history. The inability to talk frankly about this is creating a vacuum that's being filled by the belief that covid wasn't a big deal, and that it was going to go away on its own if we hadn't reacted to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

euphronius posted:

I think to there extent learning is not happening as it should it is a result of the unhealed physical and psychological traumas of the covid , the malign impact of social media, parents not giving the support they should due to them being overworked and freaked out ; and schools not adapting to the ever-evolving needs students due to lack of resources and politicization

also practially all learning and training only makes sense in the context of stable systems. it isnt particularly rational to devote a ton of time and effort learning things that will only be useful to you if the particular societal setup you find yourself in is maintained for the next 20 years, if you don't believe things will be that stable.

not that that means you should just dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed, nor do i think theres much though in all this beyond general doom rather than a careful weighing of the options, but i think the looming instability does render it a lot harder to be motivated to learn and train, especially given some of the extremely artificial and contrived systems we expect children to become proficient in.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think kids think about that too much but maybe

they do in high school but by that time they should have learned to read proficiently (lol I know )

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Oh also it’s a circus because of the Zelensky visit but half of the civil service, military and defence industry is out sick today despite the high profile event.

I wonder why…

The week of the 11th, so the second week kids were in school, I saw a wave of out of office emails tick up through today.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

eXXon posted:

Brain inflammation made me smarter, actually.

:hmmyes:

bigger brain, makes sense

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Frosted Flake posted:

The week of the 11th, so the second week kids were in school, I saw a wave of out of office emails tick up through today.
Pure coincidence

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Zugzwang posted:

How long until our savior Elon Musk rolls out a self-driving electric school bus?

the first auto-imploding bus

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

PostNouveau posted:

Free-range children. 8 hour recess

The Endless Summer (2023)

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Zugzwang posted:

How long until our savior Elon Musk rolls out a self-driving electric school bus?

the first bus built for children, by children

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

euphronius posted:

I think to there extent learning is not happening as it should it is a result of the unhealed physical and psychological traumas of the covid , the malign impact of social media, parents not giving the support they should due to them being overworked and freaked out ; and schools not adapting to the ever-evolving needs students due to lack of resources and politicization

It also didn't help that you had large numbers of experienced teachers die, quit, and retire

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nothus posted:

It also didn't help that you had large numbers of experienced teachers die, quit, and retire

yeah good point

edit

and administration too

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Zugzwang posted:

They've been trying for years but when you put children into them the bus' autopilots go into a loop trying to run over the kids inside them and eventually collapse into themselves making a microscopic black hole.

edit:

SixteenShells posted:

the first auto-imploding bus

:argh:

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Soap Scum posted:

e: oh and yeah apparently school refusal is going through the roof which is scary/sad/bad

https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/1659491757468385283

Surely having a heavily armed cop show up to forcibly bring the children to school will ease their anxiety!

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
The journey begins

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Tbh it's possible that we're overthinking it all re:schools and kids.

It's just because those kids spend too much time all day on tick tock on their phone nowadays

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

besides covid, inflation is also a big problem for everyone including gov workers and kids (parent stress )

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

if the classes are canceled we send kids to the cafeteria or the auditorium if there's someone on duty to watch them. we can't send them to the library anymore for silent study because there literally isn't enough chairs for when classes get canceled routinely. my duty period is now literally no longer to do reading and writing support but to watch kids in the caf

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

also my district blew up a 40 year bus company partnership to go to their competitor because of bus driver shortages and consolidated routes but guess what? shiny new expensive competitor just announced a shortage and consolidated routes lol

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

So many people are going to have died by 2030

mooshiga
Sep 29, 2021

Soap Scum posted:

i feel like we haven't had a teacher thread regular post much in a while? i think Gio was a teacher but hasn't popped up here for a while 🤔 anyway, if you're a lurking teacher, time to de-lurk imo

it’s a trash fire. me and one of the hall monitors are the only staff out of ~250 who still mask. staff are quitting mid-year, staff are sick, kids are sick, kids aren’t engaged because they know most of what they’re supposed to be doing isn’t gonna matter in ten years. and like…….we already did this too. everybody already got sick. everybody already quit. it’s exactly the same as it was last year. and now this is just gonna be how every year is. living the dream! 👍

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Jon Irenicus posted:

if the classes are canceled we send kids to the cafeteria or the auditorium if there's someone on duty to watch them. we can't send them to the library anymore for silent study because there literally isn't enough chairs for when classes get canceled routinely. my duty period is now literally no longer to do reading and writing support but to watch kids in the caf
:eng99: I can't recall a single instance of a class being cancelled when I was in K-12

Subs who couldn't teach, sure, but even then not very often.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Air quality in San Francisco is still extremely poo poo thanks to wildfire smoke from up north. I'm going to attempt my first Corsi-Rosenthal box build today for work. It will hopefully help during the winter as well. How often should I change the filters on the device?

No idea how long the filters last, but I'm gonna go ahead and say it: the form factor with a single 20x20x4 filter is way better than the cube, with the same amount of surface area as 4x 20x20x1. And if you do MERV 13 + Carbon, it is way more effective at de-stanking your home or workplace, if you have any cologne addicts or weed elementals around

Skinnymansbeerbelly has issued a correction as of 18:36 on Sep 22, 2023

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

anecdotal but chronic absenteeism is down this year but maybe because our district did a big onboarding push for the freshman this year who were our biggest problem cohort for it. now we have to deal with the "selective absenteeism" aka in the building but not showing up to class cause you can just hide amongst the canceled classes lol. good luck everyone that'll be easy to fix

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

mooshiga posted:

and like…….we already did this too. everybody already got sick. everybody already quit. it’s exactly the same as it was last year. and now this is just gonna be how every year is. living the dream! 👍

yah this is what I'm hearing from even the pandemic-skeptical teachers out here. they've been told three times now that things will be better/fine this year because of (insert handwavery).

The last two didn't loving work, and it looks like this one isn't loving working either!

sorry, what I mean is, remembering things / pattern recognition is a Lockdown.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Jon Irenicus posted:

"selective absenteeism" aka in the building but not showing up to class cause you can just hide amongst the canceled classes lol.

all this poo poo is awful but this is low key impressive to me, the level of steez a 15 year old has to have to just Face In The Crowd it is inspiring lol

this would have NEVER worked for me in high school

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
making GBS threads FUCKBALLS. The ACIP meeting today isn't for Novavax, it's for some loving RSV vaccine https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/agenda-archive/agenda-2023-09-22-508.pdf

I guess I'll just loving get Moderna :argh:

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Gunshow Poophole posted:

all this poo poo is awful but this is low key impressive to me, the level of steez a 15 year old has to have to just Face In The Crowd it is inspiring lol

this would have NEVER worked for me in high school

there's a homeroom equivalent at the start and end of the week and one of the junior teachers claims there's a kid on his roster he has literally never seen

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Air quality in San Francisco is still extremely poo poo thanks to wildfire smoke from up north. I'm going to attempt my first Corsi-Rosenthal box build today for work. It will hopefully help during the winter as well. How often should I change the filters on the device?

https://twitter.com/CorsIAQ/status/1705007989214884347?s=20
there are more tweets in the thread

I saw a different thread by this guy or maybe the air filter dude about filter longevity and comparing fresh filters to used filters and they saw minimal difference. Seems like the answer is quite a while.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

making GBS threads FUCKBALLS. The ACIP meeting today isn't for Novavax, it's for some loving RSV vaccine https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/agenda-archive/agenda-2023-09-22-508.pdf

lol what the gently caress

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

making GBS threads FUCKBALLS.

new symptom????

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

there are non-stop radio ads here about the RSV vaccine and nothing about covid lmao

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

gunny needy drinky

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/Alexander_Tin/status/1705227351011795141

Weeks?!? loving lmao

I wonder if the government has their thumb on the scale for their preferred pharmaceutical companies?

https://twitter.com/SecBecerra/status/1704601331854451170

Naaaah couldn't be

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

NeonPunk posted:

I wonder if the government has their thumb on the scale for their preferred pharmaceutical companies?

https://twitter.com/SecBecerra/status/1704601331854451170

Naaaah couldn't be

also not a single goddamn mask!! lmoaj

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

SixteenShells posted:

why even keep kids in school if you're just going to put them all in one room mostly unattended. like yeah school exists in part to warehouse kids while their parents are at work but at some point wouldn't someone say "this is loving stupid, just go home"?

imagine youre six and you're told to "just go home" and both of your parents are at work until at least 5 pm.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

NeonPunk posted:

Weeks?!? loving lmao

lmao. I hate America so deeply.

e: okay, looks like the quote is from the sept. 13 meeting, at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcUmwP87gko

Insanite has issued a correction as of 18:38 on Sep 22, 2023

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Gunshow Poophole posted:

also not a single goddamn mask!! lmoaj
Isn't Becerra the dude with the fastest confirmed reinfection? lmao

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

The anti-vaccine movement is on the rise. The White House is at a loss over what to do about it. “They keep just hoping it’ll go away.”

quote:

And the impact is clear: As another Covid vaccination campaign gets underway, fewer Americans than ever have kept up to date on their shots. Child vaccination rates against the flu are measurably lower than before the pandemic. Even standard childhood inoculations to prevent diseases like the measles are subject to deepening partisan divisions, with recent polling showing Republicans are now more than twice as likely to believe the shots should be optional than they did in 2019. Democrats, by contrast, remain overwhelmingly in favor of childhood vaccine requirements.

quote:

In a statement, HHS spokesperson Ilse Zuniga said the administration knows “how important it is for people to have accurate, science-based information to protect themselves and their loved ones.

Science-based information has been and continues to be the Biden-Harris Administration’s North Star, and we will continue to work to share accurate information to protect the American public,” Zuniga said.

quote:

The White House dissolved its Covid response team earlier this spring in favor of a new office focused on broader pandemic threats and is no longer deeply involved in combating the vaccine conspiracy theories flourishing daily online. When top officials mention the pandemic, it’s now mainly to tout the nation’s emergence from its crisis phase. As for Biden, he openly defied his administration’s Covid guidance earlier this month, declining to wear a mask in public on multiple occasions after being exposed to the virus.

Biden aides have instead delegated much of the responsibility for ongoing public health work back to HHS. But combating anti-vaccine sentiment on a large scale is not considered a top priority within the department, where Health Secretary Xavier Becerra has at times indicated he believes the administration has done all it can do.

“If you’re dying of Covid today, you didn’t take precautions,” Becerra said during a POLITICO health summit in June, taking an oblique shot at Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and other prominent Republicans who have advanced anti-vaccine theories. “If you listened to someone who said you didn’t have to take that precaution, it’s not just your fault, it’s the fault of that leader who doesn’t give you the best information. If leaders choose not to take care of their people, that’s on them.

Kitten Nightmares
May 15, 2007
look through a faithless eye; are you afraid to die?

At CVS and just got my Moderna jab. Paid $190.99 because they said Kaiser wouldn't cover it and they tried to convince me to just wait even though I'm flying to Japan in 2 weeks. My husband has an appointment later today and his non-Kaiser insurance also confirmed that they are not going to cover it.

System is very cool and good! I'll try to submit my receipt to Kaiser and raise hell but keeping my expectations low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

NeonPunk posted:

Weeks?!? loving lmao

Genuinely, I am so sorry that I got your hopes up