Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

After last night I hope Onojo is done for the tournament, he was badly injured in his win and had to be wheelchaired away (after the requisite stagger up onto the dohyo and literally falling off it while getting to the exit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Bentai posted:

https://twitter.com/ryogokulove/status/1705068653534933203

Edit
There is currently a seven-way tie for Makushita lead, with all of them at 6-1.

code:
Hitoshi		West Makushita #3
Kitadaichi	West Makushita #17
Kayo		West Makushita #23
Asahakuryu	West Makushita #27
Chiyoarashi	West Makushita #47
Daiseizan	East Makushita #50
Onojo		West Makushita #53

Seven-way playoff, and I don't think that there's anyone else that can join them (nor any 6-0s that can be spoiler). I think they draw lots to make three matches with one wrestler getting a bye, then draw lots again to make two matches with the four remaining, then a last head-to-head. It's gonna be a hell of a thing.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Kenning posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, this banzuke is the last appearance of Futahaguro before he was forced to retire as the first yokozuna who never won a tournament. As they go, this is a fairly historic document! Very cool.

man i love how i never stop learning fascinating things about this sport. that a goon's mom had this is extremely cool.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Just don’t ask why he was forced to retire without winning any tournaments...

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Apraxin posted:

Just don’t ask why he was forced to retire without winning any tournaments...

Yeah, dude not winning and embarrassing the old guys is probably the reason Takakeisho doesn't have a rope right now.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
oh lmao koji kitao. a miserable bastard in both real and fake wrestling. Man was so pissed about having to wrestle and take offensive moves from former Canadian makushita John Tenta (Kototenzan) that they for real fought in the ring and Kitano grabbed a mic in and told all Japanese fans that pro wrestling was fake bullshit.

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 23, 2023

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I was just looking back because I felt like I haven't seen a kinboshi in a while, and it's weird to realize that not only does this basho mark 2 years of Terunofuji being Yokozuna, but he has only put up one full basho in the last year.

KungFu Grip posted:

oh lmao koji kitao. a miserable bastard in both real and fake wrestling. Man was so pissed about having to wrestle and take offensive moves from former Canadian makushita John Tenta (Kototenzan) that they for real fought in the ring and Kitano grabbed a mic in and told all Japanese fans that pro wrestling was fake bullshit.

He tried that poo poo on Haku as well, who took it as well as you'd imagine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90CybNh-XpA

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Tomorrow's going to be a hell of a show

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Archenteron posted:

Tomorrow's going to be a hell of a show

100%. Potential for a very fun ending.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Liquid Communism posted:

100%. Potential for a very fun ending.

i'm not going to say a loving thing for fear of a shiroc interpreting the post as a jinx.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Tomorrow matchups are very weird:

Kirishima vs Takayasu
Daieisho vs Takakeisho
Hokuseiho vs Hoshoryu
Asanoyama vs Atamifuji

They clearly were building up for a Kirishima vs Takakeisho final match but they don't want rikishi to go into the playoffs without having to face an Ozeki. It's going to be weird because all these matches will be meaningless if Atamifuji wins early in the day.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Day 14:

Ahahahaha Abi going for the henka again and getting his comeuppance was great. Impressive recovery by Atamifuji

Shodai has been showing some uncharacteristic fire in the past couple of days. It's been a very welcome change. He can be incredibly strong when he's fired up.

Wow, Ura going toe to toe with my main man Hokutofuji and just shoving him out was not what I expected

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Keisho's face was my face at the end of that bout, I thought he had him.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

That was a big win for Hoshoryu and I am very happy for him.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Beeswax posted:

Day 14:
Shodai has been showing some uncharacteristic fire in the past couple of days. It's been a very welcome change. He can be incredibly strong when he's fired up.

Takakeisho woke Shodai up with those slaps and he hasn't gone back to normal yet.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Fedor's Hands

Shogun's Knees

Motivated BJ

Sea Level Cain

Warmed Up Shodai

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Fearless posted:

That was a big win for Hoshoryu and I am very happy for him.

Hokuseiho is getting a 7-7 Hoshoryu on the final day. I am not envious since Josh has clearly gotta be motivated to prove he can keep it going at Ozeki.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Robviously posted:

Hokuseiho is getting a 7-7 Hoshoryu on the final day. I am not envious since Josh has clearly gotta be motivated to prove he can keep it going at Ozeki.

I think battling back from the miserable start he had this basho to avoid winding up kadoban after his first tournament as ozeki would be a hell of a thing, but particularly in consideration of the pressure he is probably under from his uncle and himself. Hosh looked crushed after the first week, and we have to look no further than Shodai to see what happens when an otherwise extremely strong and capable rikishi winds up in a bleak headspace. I felt bad about Takakeisho losing last night, because if he was able to pull off a yusho I think it would be the start of another yokozuna run but on the other hand I was really glad to see Hoshoryu win because I think it was very important to him. I dunno if Takakeisho will make Yokozuna before his body breaks down to the degree that it is no longer feasible but I do think that this tournament aside Hoshoryu has a bright future ahead of him and is going to make an excellent yokozuna someday in the nearish future.

Also, holy poo poo are some people ever sour at Takakeisho for just existing. The Midnight stream has a couple of really, really vocal haters in it.

Seeing Atamifuji recover from Abi's henka and win was a thing of beauty.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 23, 2023

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I don't get the Takakeisho hate. He might be a one trick pony, but it's still pretty amazing to see him at full strength. He will never be my favourite (nor will Daeisho) but I find a dominating Takakeisho satisfying to watch.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Fearless posted:

Also, holy poo poo are some people ever sour at Takakeisho for just existing. The Midnight stream has a couple of really, really vocal haters in it.

Average Lettuce posted:

I don't get the Takakeisho hate. He might be a one trick pony, but it's still pretty amazing to see him at full strength. He will never be my favourite (nor will Daeisho) but I find a dominating Takakeisho satisfying to watch.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

There are enough people that just want to be angry at someone for not playing a sport correctly that you just absolutely need to stop paying attention to it. Takakeisho at full force is cool and he won't be some other rikishi but that's okay. Sometimes it's just cool to see him do his one-trick pony routine and just go ham on someone.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Liquid Communism posted:

I was just looking back because I felt like I haven't seen a kinboshi in a while, and it's weird to realize that not only does this basho mark 2 years of Terunofuji being Yokozuna, but he has only put up one full basho in the last year.

He tried that poo poo on Haku as well, who took it as well as you'd imagine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90CybNh-XpA

I’ll always wonder how well Haku could have done if he’d stayed with sumo, he was a freakish athlete for someone his size.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If a rikishi is a one trick pony, you have every opportunity to counter it. One’s tone mad about it¨

edit: for the record, I have no idea what the second sentence here was supposed to be

Beeswax fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 24, 2023

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Robviously posted:

There are enough people that just want to be angry at someone for not playing a sport correctly

But Abi is right there...

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Beeswax posted:

If a rikishi is a one trick pony, you have every opportunity to counter it. One’s tone mad about it

This is why I don't understand the hate for Abi. He doesn't do anything illegal, doesn't intentionally try to injure people, and he always does the same thing every time so everyone should be prepared for it

I like watching him lose too but I also don't hate on him. He's a one trick pony and that one trick got him to makuuchi so people need to just deal with it

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Yeah, Keisho is a one trick pony, but he's also ridiculously consistent (if he isn't injured).

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
It's a very cool trick.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone who thinks Takakeisho is a one trick pony is out of touch with reality.

He’s clearly more of a one trick hippo.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is why I don't understand the hate for Abi. He doesn't do anything illegal, doesn't intentionally try to injure people, and he always does the same thing every time so everyone should be prepared for it

I like watching him lose too but I also don't hate on him. He's a one trick pony and that one trick got him to makuuchi so people need to just deal with it

I'm not a fan of his style of sumo but 4 henka attempts is excessive and I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't told to tone it down.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I... didn't know that was a thing. Thank you!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

I have been so busy the past week I've barely been able to keep up with the basho but holy poo poo the final day has a bunch of potentially awesome stuff going on. As exciting as a massive playoff would be, I really want Atamifuji to take it outright and Hoshoryu to get his 8th win. :pray:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kuros posted:

I'm not a fan of his style of sumo but 4 henka attempts is excessive and I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't told to tone it down.

I think the fact he ate poo poo on half those attempts is what's keeping him from getting an earful. If he finishes today with another attempt and wins, I'm sure there will be some pointed remarks by the old geezers.

The selective hate for tsuppari guys is weird though when there's nary a complaint about Daieisho's style and he's right up there in sanyaku.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Well, slaps are a perfectly valid part of sumo... I mean that's what a teppo pole is for in no small part, and any sumotori is free to employ them if they so wish. And as has been said before in this thread, if you know what someone who over-relies on a particular technique is going to do and you don't prepare an effective answer for it you don't really get to complain about it afterwards.

...Which is what I have to remind myself when Abi beats a rikishi I am supporting by gouging their throat and hopping around like a frog on a skillet.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Taffy Torpedo posted:

Keisho's face was my face at the end of that bout, I thought he had him.
Then there's this face:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Fearless posted:

...Which is what I have to remind myself when Abi beats a rikishi I am supporting by gouging their throat and hopping around like a frog on a skillet.
this reminded me of Terao (current Shikoroyama-oyakata), and made me look up some of his old fights to see if he really just opened with violent thrusts to his opponents neck as much as i remembered

turns out yes, yes he did...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiMsFglK_5c

...but he also had other techniques to fall back on when the neck thrusts didn't work and there's some real great bouts in there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbi-IszavpU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oySVOMAOq9g

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Good thing Akebono was in his prime decades ago. The online nerd rage would probably have gone nuclear if he had been Yokozuna in this time period.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Beeswax posted:

If a rikishi is a one trick pony, you have every opportunity to counter it. One’s tone mad about it¨

edit: for the record, I have no idea what the second sentence here was supposed to be

If you're a one-trick pony who's comfortably sitting at Ozeki, it must be a drat good trick.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Special prizes are out. Atamifuji has the fighting spirit prize unconditionally. Daieisho, Takayasu, Hokuseiho, and Atamifuji all have conditional outstanding performance prizes and will get them with a win.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Re: Takakeisho and Abi - they do the one weird trick that their bodies are perfectly designed for.

Takakeisho is short of stature and of arm so he put on a ton of weight and has perfected his timing on guys trying to close distance on him. Unlike most tsuppari guys he prefers to push with both hands at once (compared to a rangier tsuppari guy like, say, Aoiyama, who maximizes his reach by alternating thrusts). Because of his short arms, Takakeisho's thrusts are at their strongest at an awkward distance that is inside of most guys' thrust range, but just outside of range of guys going for his belt. Combined with his low centre of gravity and good power and he is doing the best sumo available to him.

Like, Midorifuji's katasukashi gambits work well because he is short and can switch to that tactic without changing his stance too obviously, Abi's height and long limbs permit him to do his weird footwork without being too vulnerable, Hokuseiho's giant body allows him to approach belt work in a way that cannot be emulated by people who don't have that attribute etc. etc.

The glory of an openweight combat sport is that everybody has to maximize what their specific body is capable of and use what is different or unique about it to their advantage. And if you've got an unusual physical attribute, your sumo will probably be most effective if it is built around that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Goddamn, the thought of 4 performance prices being awarded seems nuts.

Hokuseiho is the only one I legitimately would not want to see; mostly because I want Hoshoryu to get his 8.