Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Only issue I had out of the box with the P1S is some of my spools didn't fit the AMS.

I printed a TPU lip that adds some lid height and had to take some filament off of a overfilled spool.

Most of the filament profiles are really good, but I had an with ASA having an 80% fan max which cause delamination of the layers. Otherwise it's been fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bondematt posted:

Only issue I had out of the box with the P1S is some of my spools didn't fit the AMS.

I printed a TPU lip that adds some lid height and had to take some filament off of a overfilled spool.

Most of the filament profiles are really good, but I had an with ASA having an 80% fan max which cause delamination of the layers. Otherwise it's been fantastic.

Print the hydra mod for the AMS and you won't have anymore issues with spool sizes.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

mattfl posted:

Print the hydra mod for the AMS and you won't have anymore issues with spool sizes.

Does it fix overfill spools? Like the filament was right up to the rim which dragged on the ams head.

Not worried about spool size itself, that TPU lip gets me past anything I've seen.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Listerine posted:

X1C shipping confirmation came in today, so I'm guessing it will arrive sometime next week. I wasn't planning to get it set up right away as I'm overloaded with work, but since I lost one of my printers this week, I'd like to get the X1C rolling as fast as I can so it can pick up the slack; are there any common points in setup that people stumble on and I should look out for?

What mattfl said, but also you should expect to need and use wifi and a mobile device for full setup.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Listerine posted:

are there any common points in setup that people stumble on and I should look out for?

Make sure you get all of the packing foam out of the enclosure before you print, there was a block of foam in the upper corner that I missed and the print head slammed right into

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

well poo poo.. I had my first spool tangle. Was my own fault because I de-spooled the cardboard spool and let it spring a little when I was transferring it. Trying to unspool a little so my 70% print can finish then the rest is hitting the garbage

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

The Eyes Have It posted:

What mattfl said, but also you should expect to need and use wifi and a mobile device for full setup.

This may be problematic, because my office is wired but it's not on wifi. I can connect to a guest network, and there's a secured network that I can figure out how to connect to, but I don't have control over the wifi itself. It should be okay if the printer doesn't have to remain connected all the time to function- I can connect for a setup process and then disconnect, would that be sufficient?

This also may be beyond anyone's experience, but I'm working at a university and my department purchased the printer. I'm reviewing the quick start guide and there's a step called Printer Binding that requires the Bambu Handy app, I need to download it and log in to a Bambu account and scan a QR code to bind the printer to a Bambu lab account.

Since I didn't create an account at purchase, do I need to somehow track down that info from my purchasing department or do you think I can just make my own account on Bambu's website and bind/register the printer to that?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Listerine posted:

This may be problematic, because my office is wired but it's not on wifi. I can connect to a guest network, and there's a secured network that I can figure out how to connect to, but I don't have control over the wifi itself. It should be okay if the printer doesn't have to remain connected all the time to function- I can connect for a setup process and then disconnect, would that be sufficient?

This also may be beyond anyone's experience, but I'm working at a university and my department purchased the printer. I'm reviewing the quick start guide and there's a step called Printer Binding that requires the Bambu Handy app, I need to download it and log in to a Bambu account and scan a QR code to bind the printer to a Bambu lab account.

Since I didn't create an account at purchase, do I need to somehow track down that info from my purchasing department or do you think I can just make my own account on Bambu's website and bind/register the printer to that?

You can create an account it's not tied to your purchase.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
X1C just arrived- shipped Tuesday, so that was pretty fast.

I'm a little concerned about this setup with the wifi, I'm not sure if I connect it to the guest wifi if it'll then be discoverable, and the info I found about the locked wifi network says devices need to be encrypted to join.

I think worst case scenario, I may need to do the printer registration step somewhere else and then move it to it's permanent home?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Can you throw up a hotspot with your phone

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Back at it again. Ok I've got a good base layer, but when the model starts printing infill the print nozzle is hitting what it's laying down. Tried manual adjusting z offset while it was running and it was a huge variance, -1.70 to -1.52 just to clear most (not all) of the infill lines. I just don't get why it would show such a solid base layer then gently caress up when doing anything higher.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’m trying to switch to PrusaSlicer.

Is it possible to have it print with some number of bottom/top/outer walls and infill, and then at a certain height switch to continuous extrusion corkscrew mode?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Bad Munki posted:

I’m trying to switch to PrusaSlicer.

Is it possible to have it print with some number of bottom/top/outer walls and infill, and then at a certain height switch to continuous extrusion corkscrew mode?

You can set the number of bottom solid layers, but otherwise no.
You could probably do something whacky with combining gcode from a normal print and a vase print, maybe

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Looking for an FDM printer recommendation. Right now I have an old Monoprice Select Mini v2 and it's fine, but it's slow and loud and has a small print bed (120 mm cubed). I mostly print tabletop gaming terrain and board game organizer boxes. Browsing the recent comments in this thread it seems like Prusa used to be the go-to recommendation but now they're facing good competition from Bambu. How should I go about deciding between the two (or is there a third option I should consider)? I don't really need multi-color printing, but if it's not too much more money for a multi-color model I might get it just to noodle around. It would be located in my office where I work from home, so quiet is a big plus.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Muir posted:

Looking for an FDM printer recommendation. Right now I have an old Monoprice Select Mini v2 and it's fine, but it's slow and loud and has a small print bed (120 mm cubed). I mostly print tabletop gaming terrain and board game organizer boxes. Browsing the recent comments in this thread it seems like Prusa used to be the go-to recommendation but now they're facing good competition from Bambu. How should I go about deciding between the two (or is there a third option I should consider)? I don't really need multi-color printing, but if it's not too much more money for a multi-color model I might get it just to noodle around. It would be located in my office where I work from home, so quiet is a big plus.

One of the Bambu offerings, a Neptune 4, or the Sovol SV-07 are going to be the top recommendations anywhere you go, likely

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Holy poo poo! I had the worst luck trying to print a Hylian Shield from LoZ. It just wouldn't come out! No matter what I did, either the print wouldn't stick or I'd get a head crash. I must have failed more than 10 prints.

I had a sneaking suspicion that it was the slight curve to the shield laying almost flat to the bed... so I raised the print in Cura off the bed by 5mm. It worked! Printed on the first try.

Never underestimate your slicer's ability to gently caress up an almost flat print.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Can you throw up a hotspot with your phone

Maaaaaaybe. I'm in the middle of the building and cell reception is not so great. But a good idea anyways, thanks for suggesting it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Springfield Fatts posted:

Back at it again. Ok I've got a good base layer, but when the model starts printing infill the print nozzle is hitting what it's laying down. Tried manual adjusting z offset while it was running and it was a huge variance, -1.70 to -1.52 just to clear most (not all) of the infill lines. I just don't get why it would show such a solid base layer then gently caress up when doing anything higher.

You should not have to do this . Something is off here. Maybe your overextruding or warping off the bed or you are cooling too much ..

What material are you printing and what temps are your bed and hotend when you're printing.

What printer is this again?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sockser posted:

One of the Bambu offerings, a Neptune 4, or the Sovol SV-07 are going to be the top recommendations anywhere you go, likely

Iirc people are whining about the sv07 board or something. (The 07 has klipper which is nice though )!The 06 seems to still be the general recommendation for starter printers.

I had a good time with mine, it did it's job well with some caveats where it needed some.manual adjustment my tuning the z axis level with the screws.

Sorry for the double post... mobile makes multi quote not as nice

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

tater_salad posted:

Iirc people are whining about the sv07 board or something. (The 07 has klipper which is nice though )!The 06 seems to still be the general recommendation for starter printers.

I had a good time with mine, it did it's job well with some caveats where it needed some.manual adjustment my tuning the z axis level with the screws.

Could you explain this a bit? I had an issue with my 06 that might be similar.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So I would print a bed level test till (those 1-2 layer circles). Until at least one side of the bed was good.
Then depending on which side was lower. I'd turn the steppers off and physically turn the screw for the z to adjust that side a tiny bit and reprint the test and see if it improved.

I feel like klipper did a better job with abl than sovols marlin.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Robert Cowan (of battlebots fame) also got his Prusa XL and he's doing some videos about it. First video is 30 minutes of assembly so I'm not watching the whole thing, I don't have an order for it but if folks are interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_zKRm_tIFQ

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

tater_salad posted:

I'd turn the steppers off and physically turn the screw for the z to adjust that side a tiny bit and reprint the test and see if it improved.

Okay I think this is where I'm confused, because I'm not sure on the Sovol 6 which screw this is. Are these the screws holding the bed down or something else?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Listerine posted:

Okay I think this is where I'm confused, because I'm not sure on the Sovol 6 which screw this is. Are these the screws holding the bed down or something else?

it's not a screw.. it's a long threaded rods your Z axis sits on. Those long metal threaded rods with the motors attached that go up/down.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

tater_salad posted:

it's not a screw.. it's a long threaded rods your Z axis sits on. Those long metal threaded rods with the motors attached that go up/down.

Ahhhh, ok. How did you manage to turn that?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

tater_salad posted:

You should not have to do this . Something is off here. Maybe your overextruding or warping off the bed or you are cooling too much ..

What material are you printing and what temps are your bed and hotend when you're printing.

What printer is this again?

Neptune 4, 220/60c, PLA. I did the extruder calibration and was able to get it within 3mm so I think I'm good there.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Springfield Fatts posted:

Neptune 4, 220/60c, PLA. I did the extruder calibration and was able to get it within 3mm so I think I'm good there.

are you noticing that the print warps off the bed or anything?

sometimes large flat stuff likes to lift off the bed and gently caress poo poo up.

How do calibration cubes print or benchies..

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Listerine posted:

Ahhhh, ok. How did you manage to turn that?

What they’re referring to is a better way of doing the gantry calibration that it does by default but just slamming the gantry into the top of the frame. You can do a better job by homing, turning off the motors, moving the carriage to one side with the sensor still over the plate, and turning the threaded rod on that side by hand while using your other hand to keep the opposite side rod from turning. Turn it until it’s right on the step where the light on the sensor turns on/off, then move the carriage to the other side and repeat, then repeat the whole thing a couple times. This makes sure the X axis is aligned with the bed better than the default method of slamming it into the top of the frame; it’s more reliable and doesn’t make a horrible noise.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Quote is not edit

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Arcsech posted:

What they’re referring to is a better way of doing the gantry calibration that it does by default but just slamming the gantry into the top of the frame. You can do a better job by homing, turning off the motors, moving the carriage to one side with the sensor still over the plate, and turning the threaded rod on that side by hand while using your other hand to keep the opposite side rod from turning. Turn it until it’s right on the step where the light on the sensor turns on/off, then move the carriage to the other side and repeat, then repeat the whole thing a couple times. This makes sure the X axis is aligned with the bed better than the default method of slamming it into the top of the frame; it’s more reliable and doesn’t make a horrible noise.

Oh ok, thanks.

I also got the X1C up and running (using the mobile hotspot, thanks so much for the idea Obamna phone. I'm printing a benchy test run and man does this unit vibrate. It looks like everything's printing good, do I need to worry about this much shaking in the long term? Is there anything I should be doing to stabilize it more?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
A cheap paver-and-foam base works pretty well with the X1C.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I really need to get out to a hardware store this weekend. My MK3S is good with the squash ball feet but the K1 needs a base for sure, especially if I get up to high speeds on it.

Plus, y’know, homeowner bullshit I’ve been putting off for too long

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Just toss 4 on a table and let the vibrations from all of them cancel eachother out

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Did my first bit of corrective maintenance on a Bambu P1S today.. The extruder clogged, and also one of the AMS units got a piece of filament stuck inside.

Happy to report that the maintenance videos were clear and helpful, and it was absolutely no problem to disassemble all the bits, unclog, and put them back together.

(I ended up shortening the length of the PTFE tube on that AMS as well, I think it was a bit too long.)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

queeb posted:

Just toss 4 on a table and let the vibrations from all of them cancel eachother out

And thus the Creality Grenade was created

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Is there some secret to making sure your prints stick, no matter how tiny the little bits touching the bed are?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

kid sinister posted:

Is there some secret to making sure your prints stick, no matter how tiny the little bits touching the bed are?

What kind of print bed and material? I have no problems with a textured PEI sheet with your basic PLAs and PETGs.

The K1 ships with a smooth bed, and turns brims on by default, but even that seems unnecessary. And now I have a cool otherwise finished print that I have to sit and refinish with a deburring tool :argh:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I used the glue bingo dabber thing that comes with the p1ps now on a print and it stuck so well I had to struggle to get it unstuck

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Glue stick... or brim. Or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Macichne Leainig posted:

What kind of print bed and material?

The one that comes with the SV07 is steel coated with a textured finish. I may have to get some glue sticks...