Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Please mail me Gear 5 Luffy head pillow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Anybody ever pick up one of those vivre card packs? Are they worth it?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arist posted:

Gun ate dog

Please can we get a flashback to, I guess, Mr. 4 cramming the fruit in the gun's barrel?

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

White Light posted:

My god that's a lot of merchandise

It never ends :stare:

I know they aren’t but those things under the Gear 5 look like air fresheners and I just imagine they smell like rubber

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Isn't it implied that it was 'a scientist' that did it.

It's not until much much later Vegapunk gets name dropped as the potential creator of living weapons.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Yah I don't think Vegapunk is mentioned till the reunion with Koby and the other guy.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Sub Harrison posted:

Yah I don't think Vegapunk is mentioned till the reunion with Koby and the other guy.

This was the first time Vegapunk's name came up in the series and "feeding devil fruits to objects" was one of the things brought up that he invented

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

JuniperCake posted:

Granted that is how Zoans usually seem to work. But I think that thematically it doesn't gel to have the fruit that literally embodies liberation work by suppressing your will and replacing it with some foreign entity's. If it was supposed to be some sort of cruel ironic twist thing sure but that's definitely the wrong tone for this manga.

I'm pretty sure G5 Luffy is just Luffy. He's just influenced by the immense freedom he gets from being in G5.

Being influenced by Nika to the point it fucks with your actual plans seems, to me, where Oda is going. Joyboy's remaining messages and the WG fear of his return point to incredible power that failed when it was needed most. Luffy surpassing Joyboy by overcoming the temptation of unfettered and complete freedom looks likely.

Possibly an interplay between The Will of D and the power of Nika.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I assume that Luffy's inherited will (going through Roger -> Shanks) can be traced all the way back to Nika, or at least the last user, and that they're therefore pretty in-sync anyway. Think of Whitebeard talking about a will being passed down since ancient times in his dying speech.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I'm gonna go with the hat not being from Joyboy but someone else.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Yeah that's because joyboys hat is the big one

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The hat is from Roger, guys.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Luffy is supposed to give the hat back to Shanks someday, do you think he really will?

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
luffy gives the hat to shanks son, banks, which starts a new story, two piece

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

(The) One Piece (thread) is..... good!

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

One Piece loving rules

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Don't Get Choked Up At Binks' Brew Challenge: Impossible. :smith:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Was just thinking earlier how making prints of the wanted posters would be basically printing money.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I would leave the One Piece store deeply in debt.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Viridiant posted:

I would leave the One Piece store deeply in debt.

I would also leave the One Piece store deeply in debt (from having to replace all the merchandise when I steal it all)

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

Gun ate dog

Iirc Funkfreed is also a sword that ate an elephant-elephant fruit

There should be more wierd object-fruit combinations imo

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Kind of surprised we haven't had a fruit-fruit fruit yet, it would fit the vibe

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hattori about to show off its devil fruit powers :hmmyes:

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Infinitum posted:

A hat that ate the pigeon-pigeon fruit :aaaaa:

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I wonder if the items that ate DFs where part of just a random change when giving those DFs, like did Vegapunk knew what DFs where being given? Or is there closet with a sword+spoon object, a gun+snail etc. that were just failures.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I always understood hypothetically oda is rich, but drat that store really puts it into perspective

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Kind of surprised we haven't had a fruit-fruit fruit yet, it would fit the vibe

It could be that Blackbeard's secret is having the Darkness fruit eat the Quake fruit.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Where’s the store at? I’m headed to Japan next week and want to raid it check it out!

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
That brings up a good question, why and how did two Baroque Works mooks get their hands on the world's leading genius' cutting-edge tech? I get Spandam having a elephord, the leader of CP9 probably gets his hands on a cool new toy if he whines enough, but the molewoman and mr. baseball? Did they steal or smuggle the dog from Vegapunk's lab? Did Croc get it for them somehow? They have an established combat style involving the dog so I assume they've been a unit for a while before Alabasta? And how do you feed a fruit to an object??

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Croc was a shichibukai and we know they all worked with vegapunk to some extent since he has all their DNA

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Feeding fruit just seems to be one of those things you roll with, since that’s how Caeser made Smiley. Honestly that’s a bigger question, how the gently caress do you feed a giant island-sized cloud of warcrime gas an axotil fruit?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Infinitum posted:

I think he ate the transponder snail fruit

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Please mail me Gear 5 Luffy head pillow

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

junan_paalla posted:

Did they steal or smuggle the dog from Vegapunk's lab? Did Croc get it for them somehow?
Keep in mind that Crocodile was on a quest to find the legendary weapon that could destroy islands in a single shot. Dog Gun could easily be mistaken for Pluton.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it could also just be a relatively long-ago vegapunk discovery that has since been replicated elsewhere, just no one does it that much because it's not really that useful compared to just eating a devil fruit yourself, something like that. there's a million ways you could handwave it but it's the sort of thing that would make for a good sbs question.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
maybe devil fruits are really easy to apply and you dont even really have to eat them to get their powers. maybe you can just cut the elephant fruit open and smear its insides all over a sword and it just works

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The main issue is that it's going to be prohibitively expensive and complicated in order for anyone who doesn't have an organization at their fingers to do. After all a huge number of fruits are unidentified when found, and even among identified fruits only Zoan fruits are effective for feeding to objects. Plus any zoan that is seen as cool or powerful is way more valuable being eaten by a person than used on an object. Most of the object fruit users are probably going to be owned by Celestial Dragons, and they're going to be dumb as poo poo.

Smiley is almost certainly the result of Caesar Clown setting out to prove he's as good as Vegapunk. So the work of mad science.

Lasso is probably because Crododile or Mr. 4 himself got a hold of a dachshund fruit and didn't think it was worth using on a person. I mean, they're all good boys but, dachshunds aren't exactly a top tier choice for a dog-person pirate.

Funkfreed is almost certainly Spandam being a total loving idiot and shoving the first zoan fruit he could find into a sword. It wouldn't surprise me if the elephant zoan was part of a group of fruits he got a hold of for his agents, but it was the only identifiable one.

Edit: It would be cool to see some human-human model fruits that were fed to objects.

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

poor forgotten tanuki tea kettle…………

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Cat Machine posted:

Keep in mind that Crocodile was on a quest to find the legendary weapon that could destroy islands in a single shot. Dog Gun could easily be mistaken for Pluton.

I need to see this animated as crocodile does the mental calculus of "Pluto + n = Pluton!?" and excitedly steals the dog gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i wonder if we will ever see a truly insane devil fruit combo, like a jacket that ate the laser-laser fruit