Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Funkfreed is in my top 5, I hope he joins the crew

Edit: I stand by this snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
have we ever seen how vivi feels about robin joining the straw hats

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

have we ever seen how vivi feels about robin joining the straw hats

There was a scene prior to the Reverie where she saw Robin’s wanted poster among the other Straw Hats and decided to just trust Luffy’s judgment. All the same, I would like to see a reunion between the two of them at some point

I want Vivi to meet Franky, Brook, and Jinbe too if only to see her reaction to them

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Last Celebration posted:

Feeding fruit just seems to be one of those things you roll with, since that’s how Caeser made Smiley. Honestly that’s a bigger question, how the gently caress do you feed a giant island-sized cloud of warcrime gas an axotil fruit?
I never really thought about it until you said this,

But big mom's soul fruit can give objects the ability to eat things, I don't think she'd cooperate so
:iiam:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

the invention was the ability to do that poo poo, how he actually did it is still unknown afaik

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gyges posted:

After all a huge number of fruits are unidentified when found, and even among identified fruits only Zoan fruits are effective for feeding to objects.

Feeding the Rust-Rust fruit to a sword... :hmmyes:

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Croc was introduced as a character that wanted to live separate lives. Could be as simple as him preserving his previous life or getting on someones shitlist early on in his career when he was a woman and needing to peace out of it. Does feel like we'd have a hint of that previous life by now, but who knows.

I missed Croc chat earlier this month but I wanted to mention that there's a possible theme of Pygmalion among some of Baroque works' officers. THEORY POSTING: Miss Goldenweek having prominemt painted cheeks and being largely expressionless make her feel as though she's one of Mr. 3's wax dolls, despite being her own person. Likewise "Bon Clay" might utilize the flexibility of B and V usage in Japanese to conceal the phrase "von clay", again suggesting that the feminine counterpart of the pairing is sculpted, in this case within/upon the masculine. I don't have a clear sense of whether this continues to the Mr.1 and Miss Doublefinger (her name could suggest cloning 1, I guess? Eh), but for Sir Crocodile at least, there's a possible logic behind his name that would link him up with Nico Robin: according to legend, Chinese script was brought to Japan by a Korean scholar called Wani Kishi (wani meaning croc, kishi being a homonym for knight, hence Sir Crocodile). In addition to hieroglyphics, the PoneGlyph seems to be a pun on (Oracle) Bone Script, the oldest known form of written Chinese -- Brook storing perfect recordings of history in his skull kinda bolsters this. Anyway positioning Crocodile as a scholar of the script makes him feel like a blurry reflection of Robin's archaeological scholarship (in a Gold/Gol D. kind of way), and maybe offers a reason to view Crocodile as "originally a girl" in some sense or other.

Bleck posted:

Crocodile also has a notable facial scar, common among Luffy and his blood relatives.

I think that can partly be attributed to Oda having antagonists mirror protagonists in general... there are parallels among the other Alubarna matchups too. Though the position of the scar seems to suggest the waterline cutting across the face of a partially submerged crocodile, which is kinda cool

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

What if Crocodile at Roger's execution was a woman in the live action because they're just going to have Crocodile be a woman in the live action?

Just a random thought. They already gender swapped Sham. Having more cool women in the One Piece world would be an improvement over the male dominated manga version.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Has it been Oda verified that it was Croc at the execution? Because, further gender swaps aside, about the only women that old in the story she couldn't be are the various fish/merwomen, the dead ones, and Nico Olivia. Facial scar or a cigar would really help.

Or are people just grasping at straws to ignore that Gin is a verified integral part of East Blue who is absolutely coming back?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Eiba posted:

What if Crocodile at Roger's execution was a woman in the live action because they're just going to have Crocodile be a woman in the live action?

Just a random thought. They already gender swapped Sham. Having more cool women in the One Piece world would be an improvement over the male dominated manga version.

But then they’d have to change her code name from “Mr. 0” to “Ms. [Ultimate holiday]”

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ms. Christmas

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Waffleman_ posted:

Ms. Christmas

Already taken, Fem!Croc's title will obviously be Miss Talk Like A Pirate Day

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gyges posted:

Has it been Oda verified that it was Croc at the execution? Because, further gender swaps aside, about the only women that old in the story she couldn't be are the various fish/merwomen, the dead ones, and Nico Olivia. Facial scar or a cigar would really help.

yes

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Ms. Children's Day

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

im 100% behind crocodile being turned into a man by ivankov. my friend suggested to me that the recent manga scene of Law using haki to reverse a devil fruit-caused sex change might be oda retroactively justifying why crocodile didnt use haki

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

But then they’d have to change her code name from “Mr. 0” to “Ms. [Ultimate holiday]”
Oh no, I didn't think of that! I mean maybe she could still call herself Mr. 0 to throw people off? Hmm. That doesn't work very well does it.

Oh well. I just thought it'd be cool to have the cool and charismatic main villain of a season be a woman. There are cool women in One Piece, but the gender ratio in general isn't great.

It'll be interesting to see in season 2 if Crocodile is a man but has the same ethnicity as the woman at the execution. That'd pretty explicitly confirm trans masc Croc in the live action world at least, which would be cool.

Gyges posted:

Or are people just grasping at straws to ignore that Gin is a verified integral part of East Blue who is absolutely coming back?
There are no named women confirmed to be at Rogers execution in the manga, as far as I know. So either the live action was lingering on someone who was gender swapped, or on an original character that doesn't appear in season 1 for some reason, or it was Crocodile. Considering she had the same earring as manga Crocodile, I honestly think it's kind of grasping at straws to pretend like it's anyone else.

Like, sure it could be, I don't know, Shakky or Big Mom but... why? We don't know that they were there, and the live action would just be making stuff up about characters that will never appear.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Crocodile transitioning via devil fruit is folks with terminal internet brain grasping at the tiniest of straws. Zero chance it ends up as canon.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Crocodile transitioning via devil fruit is folks with terminal internet brain grasping at the tiniest of straws. Zero chance it ends up as canon.

Would you say that it's a cope, used by people with agendas?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

it makes sense. crocodile being luffy’s mom is a truly insane theory though

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Funky Valentine posted:

Already taken, Fem!Croc's title will obviously be Miss Talk Like A Pirate Day

Can’t let this banger of a joke go by

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Shadow Hat...

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Would you say that it's a cope, used by people with agendas?

Not sure what you're referencing, but no. I think it's people wanting to see themselves reflected in their favorite media straining credulity to make it happen.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I don't think the one piece theory heads care about representation re: Crocodile, it's just accepted as true which is much funnier. The only thing that gets debated is if his previous identity was significant in any way (e.g. Luffy's mom)

mycot fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 23, 2023

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Not sure what you're referencing, but no. I think it's people wanting to see themselves reflected in their favorite media straining credulity to make it happen.

dude ivankov said they were the only one who knew crocodiles darkest secret like five chapters after they turned a man into a woman.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

scary ghost dog posted:

it makes sense. crocodile being luffy’s mom is a truly insane theory though

This is why I want it to be true, because it'd be very, very, funny.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

scary ghost dog posted:

dude ivankov said they were the only one who knew crocodiles darkest secret like five chapters after they turned a man into a woman.

Basically the only other explanation that would make any sort of sense is if Ivankov helped Crocodile bury a dead body 10 years ago or something

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Sometimes people have theories that are a bit of a stretch. It's very easy to see patterns even when there aren't any. It doesn't have to be some agenda or cope thing. Sometimes its just fun to come up with crazy theories.

Only reason I don't like that one in particular is I think it ruins Ivankov's character a bit to threaten to out Crocodile if it was the case. But the pieces for the theory are still there.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
This is a series with a gun that ate a magic dog fruit. Crocs secret could be literally anything. It doesn't have to be reasonable or even serious.

It could be that croc exclusively wears undies with Teddie bears on them

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

scary ghost dog posted:

Would this overwhelm the Discourse on Yamato being a dude? :allears:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

JuniperCake posted:

Sometimes people have theories that are a bit of a stretch. It's very easy to see patterns even when there aren't any. It doesn't have to be some agenda or cope thing. Sometimes its just fun to come up with crazy theories.

Only reason I don't like that one in particular is I think it ruins Ivankov's character a bit to threaten to out Crocodile if it was the case. But the pieces for the theory are still there.

i think its way stupider to say this theory doesnt make sense because it would be rude by 21st century american standards to threaten to out a trans man and ivankov wouldnt do that

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
youre the fools who are allowing your own personal hangups interfere with odas narrative. begone!!!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

ivankov definitely seems like a very moral and upstanding person who wouldn't do whats necessary to secure a win at the moment, that's why they're a revolutionary

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Borutuffy? Is Zoro like Sasuke here, coming home now and then to basically emotionally abuse his now stay-at-home-pining wife Kuina and being a giant shitheel absentee father to their son Kurozo? I imagine him insulting him over the number of swords. ”Oh, nice two sword style, son.”

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

i think its way stupider to say this theory doesnt make sense because it would be rude by 21st century american standards to threaten to out a trans man and ivankov wouldnt do that

scary ghost dog posted:

youre the fools who are allowing your own personal hangups interfere with odas narrative. begone!!!

That's a lot of unnecessary vitriol friend. People can say they like or don't like a thing without it being a big deal you know.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Impossible, Luffy canonically has never shown romantic attraction to anyone (that I remember anyway) and thus would likely never gently caress. But then again, Goku somehow had two kids

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

JuniperCake posted:

That's a lot of unnecessary vitriol friend. People can say they like or don't like a thing without it being a big deal you know.

oh yeah? prove it

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
"Crocodile used to be a woman" might turn out to be true, but I don't think it's going to be the entirety of his secret for two major reasons. First of all, it would be way too simple and obvious, and secondly, I don't think it makes sense for Crocodile to feel embarrassed or threatened by it. Say what you will about Oda's character designs and gender roles, but the series cast has its fair share of powerful women, both in terms of combat power and social position or military rank. The world of One Piece is not so misogynistic that Crocodile having been a woman would be considered a weakness or embarrassment in itself. I expect the secret to be some specific identity, position or past action that would cause him to lose face in the eyes of other pirates if it was revealed. Considering the fact that it's Ivankov who knows the secret and the similarities between Crocodile and Doflamingo, maybe he used to be a member of a prominent royal family, or even a Celestial Dragon, who was overthrown by the revolutionaries.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Star Platinum posted:

The world of One Piece is not so misogynistic that Crocodile having been a woman would be considered a weakness or embarrassment in itself.

look up kuina op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

JuniperCake posted:

Ivankov turned a man into a woman to win a fight, they aren't above blackmailing Croc over this to break out of prison.

I like the Trans Crocodile theory and I think it fits the situation the best for that to be what Ivankov was referencing. I don't see anything else that would really fit tbh. Crocodile tried to genocide a kingdom, he ain't gonna be ashamed over anything that isn't deeply personal imo. Crocodile having some personal hang-ups over gender would also explain why he made Baroque Works so explicitly gendered.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 24, 2023