Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've never had any interest in blueberries my entire life but my daughter just destroys a box or two per week

Blue berries + 1/4 cup of honey nut cheerios makes for a pretty effective "drive to daycare" snack. I like that if a blueberry gets lost it just kind of shrivels up into a mummy and has no downsides.

Bananna bits will liquefy into brown goo and rot and must be carefully monitored unless at a public park outdoors. Strawberries burst into white fuzz within 10 hours then 30% of the time liquefy into red syrup; mummify if it's hot enough. Blueberries though? Totally harmless foot well trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Well we dropped off our toddler at some friends and are camping out in the birth center waiting on lil sib. It’s going to be so weird having TWO kids, starting sometime in the next 24-60 hours or however long this takes.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
It’s no so much weird as it is completely exhausting

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Yeah, toddler and 12 day old over here, am just utterly and completely drained.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Currently solo parenting two kids for the past few days and I am done-zo.

However, my daughter gave me a very sweet compliment about how our houseplant is growing so big and I am doing a very good job taking care of it.

It is very much a fake plant but sure I’ll take the win at this point.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

After almost 3 years of encouraging "Please" and "thank you" to moderate success (in that he would say it after additional prompting) our son moved into the preschool class from the toddler class at daycare and within a week he's raising his hand and saying please and thank you at home.

It's great and depressing how much better they are at teaching him things

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Peer pressure is a real fucker but it gets results.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Peer pressure is not motivating my almost 4yo daughter to practice writing her letters and numbers. I am not ready to transition so swiftly to homework after school. We’re still trying to get poop in the potty damnit

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Son is now 11mo and at this stage where I guess he's more aware of his surroundings now and because of that he's aware when there's no one in the room. Can't leave him in the play pen to go to the bathroom or something because he'll just lose his poo poo.

Oh and we got his 1st flu shot on Friday and that kicked his rear end today, he's absolutely not having it. He's had no interest in eating most of the day and just wanted us to carry him, once he's down he cries. Eventually, he let me give him some milk and that totally changed his mood, I was even able to give him some Tylenol and now he seems better, bit of a cough now but he's sleeping now with mom and so far so good.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Should have started this dad thing before morning and afternoon and evening back pain and coffee addiction. I'm so so tired. I just want to play video games and eat cereal like a twelve year old oh my gosh, just return me to that era for a day! We had it made and we didn't know it! We didn't listen!

This child needs to know. I try to tell him, he has it so good, but he wants more crackers and breaks down into an emotional wail about it. How do I convince him he ought to cherish every second of childhood, and not wasting it away on 20 minutes of tantrum?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

A Bad King posted:

Should have started this dad thing before morning and afternoon and evening back pain and coffee addiction. I'm so so tired. I just want to play video games and eat cereal like a twelve year old oh my gosh, just return me to that era for a day! We had it made and we didn't know it! We didn't listen!

I feel this. I have like 8 days a year where I have more than 4 hours to do any personal hobby stuff anymore. More like 3 days a year where that time isn't immediately following some big event or im laid down in bed sick from whatever germs daycare has this week

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008
Nothing to add but the last page of posters really loving nailing the current, contemporary parenting experience.

Hadlock posted:

I've never had any interest in blueberries my entire life but my daughter just destroys a box or two per week

Blue berries + 1/4 cup of honey nut cheerios makes for a pretty effective "drive to daycare" snack. I like that if a blueberry gets lost it just kind of shrivels up into a mummy and has no downsides.

Bananna bits will liquefy into brown goo and rot and must be carefully monitored unless at a public park outdoors. Strawberries burst into white fuzz within 10 hours then 30% of the time liquefy into red syrup; mummify if it's hot enough. Blueberries though? Totally harmless foot well trash

Family member has a kid due in December and their car is Pristine. Cannot wait for them to encounter these situations.

slave to my cravings posted:

It’s no so much weird as it is completely exhausting

:pressf:

BadSamaritan posted:

Currently solo parenting two kids for the past few days and I am done-zo.

However, my daughter gave me a very sweet compliment about how our houseplant is growing so big and I am doing a very good job taking care of it.

It is very much a fake plant but sure I’ll take the win at this point.

Hell yeah!

A Bad King posted:

This child needs to know. I try to tell him, he has it so good, but he wants more crackers and breaks down into an emotional wail about it. How do I convince him he ought to cherish every second of childhood, and not wasting it away on 20 minutes of tantrum?

:smith: Just me and my hobbies laughing, out of frame.

Olanphonia posted:

My son ate an entire apple. Like, the whole thing, core and all. What the gently caress my man

:dogstare:

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

dismas posted:

Well we dropped off our toddler at some friends and are camping out in the birth center waiting on lil sib. It’s going to be so weird having TWO kids, starting sometime in the next 24-60 hours or however long this takes.

Good luck, I found going from 1 to 2 the hardest, and I’ve got 4.

I guess part of that was down to my own selfishness, which agrees with the other poster about wanting time to do your own stuff.

I’m starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Our youngest is 5, and personal hobbies are starting to be reintroduced. I’ve recently taken up golf (shout out the golf thread) and I’m playing before people wake up, so I can be back by about 9 ready to attack the weekend and have it not take up time. I do get jealous of friends with one kid, who can pretty much keep up their previous hobbies at the same intensity.

My eldest is 11, and will be off to university in 7 years. Which is a frightening thought. Enjoy the time with your kids, as it goes fast. The saying “the days are long, but the years are short” is so true.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Skeezy posted:

Son is now 11mo and at this stage where I guess he's more aware of his surroundings now and because of that he's aware when there's no one in the room. Can't leave him in the play pen to go to the bathroom or something because he'll just lose his poo poo.

Yeah this is a stage they have to go through. At some point I noticed that our daughter wouldn't cry anymore when I briefly left her room to dump her nappy in the bin. Around 18 months maybe?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My two nephews are worlds apart despite being brothers

The older one would just happily bounce in his chair and then later smash trucks together. If you were in the room he'd show off and smash them together extra hard, but if you left it room he'd still smash them just not nearly as much

The younger one if you even look like you're going to leave the room starts to freak out

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Olanphonia posted:

My son ate an entire apple. Like, the whole thing, core and all. What the gently caress my man

My Holocaust survivor grandfather used to do this.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Wow kiddo had the pre-k crud like two and a half weeks ago…and now he has it again. Good lord I’ve been seeing y’all talk about this poo poo but hoo boy. Crossing fingers that we dodge HFM though.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

CherryCola posted:

Wow kiddo had the pre-k crud like two and a half weeks ago…and now he has it again. Good lord I’ve been seeing y’all talk about this poo poo but hoo boy. Crossing fingers that we dodge HFM though.

We just got thru a bout of the crud last week, then my son got super cranky on Friday afternoon. He peaked at 99.7* but it was definitely a “hold on to your butts” moment thinking about how another weekend was about to go down the tubes.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

CherryCola posted:

We had our first daycare crud experience a month ago and it was HFM. Daughter and mom had mild cases but it hit me pretty hard, fever for a few days and really bad sore throat for a week after that. Would not recommend.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
At the park right now and every kid, including my own, has a cruddy sounding cough :ohdear:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My daughter is doing granddad-style throat clearings, it's hella terrible

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Glad(?) it isn't just my daughter

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My kid's favorite food in the whole wide world is a sprinkle cookie, specifically from my local bagel store. We ran some errands yesterday and I promised him we'd get me a bacon, egg & cheese him a sprinkle cookie, as a treat.

So we get to the bagel store and...they're sold out of sprinkle cookies. Poor kid just shut down in the middle of the store, arms around my neck, sobbing in just pure sadness. Eventually I got too embarrassed so I took him outside, where he refused to move for over a half hour. I tried every de-escalation and redirection tool in my arsenal to no avail, but eventually I got some luck offering to go to McDonalds instead and get a Mario Kart toy since they were giving them out yesterday.

So we get to McDonalds and...they're out of Mario Kart toys. That one's on me, kid. But at least he was already in the car so he just sobbed on the way home instead of in public.

We know he has some issues regulating his emotions, but that's something he has a SEIT for at school. She's done so much to help him work and has made a ton of progress. I could see that he was really trying to keep his emotions in check and using those tools that he learned. As we're sitting in line at the drive through, he's taking deep breaths, singing his songs with a quiver in his voice, trying his best to hold it together. That Mario Kart thing was just too much and pushed him over the edge, and I have quite a lot of guilt over that one.

The best part? I found the bakery distributor the bagel store uses. There were 10 sprinkle cookies in my deep freezer at home but since I keep them a secret, he didn't believe me when I said we had one at home. So he got his cookie in the end but man, it was so not worth it. On the bright side though, his hair cut looks sharp.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 24, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CherryCola posted:

Crossing fingers that we dodge HFM though.

I have bad news for you friend

There is no escape for HFM it gets us all in the end. There's like three main strains (across two different virus species) if you're resistant to two, the third will still get you

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

CherryCola posted:

lmao from December to June our kids got sick (and got us sick) every two weeks without fail culminating in some kind of hell plague in June that lasted two weeks for everybody but me with all kinds of weird symptoms. I was sick for 21 days straight running a fever every day and I would have a new strange symptom each day that would only last for 24 hours before the next one started including my eyes swelling up real big, my liver swelling up real big, vertigo and more culminating in the final week where my testicles quadrupled in size and felt like I got kicked in the nuts for the entire week. Tons of tests and doctors visits ruled out covid and everything else they thought to test for before it finally just went away one day.

It was a half year of hell on earth but we've only had one minor cold in the family since.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CherryCola posted:

Yay kiddo did great for his first day at pre-k! He didn’t do day care and was a pandemic baby so

Yeah you will just be the sickest you've ever been for about 4-9 months until you pokemon catch them all and then it's just a light cough and maybe a headache for half a day

I went through this Feb-August last year, was just down and out for about 60 days slobbering green mucus out of my face for about 45 days of it nearly got fired due to brain fog. Literally bought a trash can for my office so I had somewhere to put all the toiler paper I was sneezing into. Good times. That white-green color to your snot isn't bacteria or algae it's an enzyme your body produces as a sort of home grown antiviral. If your snot goes full green it's a unhealthy viral infection

Going from covid bubble to daycare was very eye opening about how our bodies respond to viral infections, and how differently they do it. Sometimes my wife goes down for a day or two, sometimes I do, sometimes we both do it varies a bunch. I have a theory that many migranes are likely a viral response for some people.

D-Pad posted:

It was a half year of hell on earth but we've only had one minor cold in the family since.

:hmmyes:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 24, 2023

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Yeah you will just be the sickest you've ever been for about 4-9 months until you pokemon catch them all and then it's just a light cough and maybe a headache for half a day

If that was year 1 for you in daycare and you think you're done I've got bad news for you about year 2.

Year 2 was worse than year 1 for us and year 1 had a powerful trifecta of covid/flu/ear infection all at the same time

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We're midway through year two but it's still light/warm out and hasn't started raining/winter yet :ohdear:

Gonna go get my covid and flu shots next week the new updated covid booster is out*. I know i'm gonna get both I just want to not feel like absolute poo poo for two weeks straight again

*edit: the latest booster shot is based on the... like EE7 variant which was going around late spring, it is a desendant of omicron; the current stuff going around are all mostly variants of whatever the booster was targeting. Covid just mutates so fast. But apparently the newest booster is highly effective against most everything that's out there right now and a big step up from the omicron booster

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 24, 2023

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

A Bad King posted:

How old is he?

You should at least expect to have occasional possibilities to indulge, as he grows older.

As a dad of a 3-year-old, I was already getting regular chances to play video games while her mother was putting her to bed (i.e. every other night).

But yeah, I feel you on the constant responsibility. "Cereal for dinner" just won't fly, even if the kid would probably like it. My own neuroses forbid it, and sometimes I resent that.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

We’ve got a pretty big playground not far from my house which is full of kids from infants to teenagers. Lately I’ve been hearing the parents of toddlers sneering loudly about how ‘some of these kids are too big to be playing here’, and I just… as a parent of a bigger kid (9), it makes me so sad because I know the kids can hear it. It may seem like it’s a lot for those littler kids to be around, but every year those big kids want to play freely on the playground with their friends is precious.

If they’re on the playground, they’re not into any number of much worse, more mature activities that their brains may not really be ready for. It just breaks my heart when those kids get the message from random strangers that they’re too old to play. I know there’s nothing I can really do (for either the little-kid-parents or the big kids who aren’t mine), but I wish there was a wand I could wave to help those parents understand how much their perspective will hopefully shift on this over the years.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

One of the great things I've developed as a parent is confronting people who make passive aggressive comments about my kids. I don't even give a poo poo anymore; just go straight to shaming them for saying poo poo about a seven year old for being tall for her age.

Yeah my kids can hear the comments other people say, but they also see how I respond. Bonus points of the passive aggressive jerk's kids are around to hear how to talk back to their jackass parents.

Granted I haven't had to do it more than a handful of times.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
So I know we have the video games with kids thread, but what would you guys recommend for good introductory board games that aren’t mind numbingly awful for adults. Candyland got old so fast.

We did do a round of King of Tokyo which kiddo enjoyed because he likes rolling dice, also he fuckin killed both me and his father. His dad did have to help him a lot, however. It was still a really good time and peeled us all away from our screens.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

killer crane posted:

One of the great things I've developed as a parent is confronting people who make passive aggressive comments about my kids. I don't even give a poo poo anymore; just go straight to shaming them for saying poo poo about a seven year old for being tall for her age.

I had a guy say "oh you're going to grow up to be a thief" to my son when he started playing with a toy another kid walked away from in the library play room. I'm just like "he's two, dude." Dude finally crept out under my stinkeye a few minutes later without having a worthwhile comeback. Dick.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My kid is eating dry cereal (honey nut cheerios) and some strawberries as I type this. Probably not for a sit down meal but she's on the small side and it's an easy way to get carbs into her and mom is out cold sick on the couch.

In general I just don't stock kids foods that I don't feel comfortable feeding them as a snack. Makes it easy to say no "look we don't have any goldfish, see?" *gestures at pantry*. We keep whole grain Ritz and cheerios in stock pretty much all the time, along with frozen chicken nuggets. They're not the healthiest stuff on the planet but it's a big step up from handing her a snickers bar and a sprite, and she eats pretty healthy food the rest of the time.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

CherryCola posted:

So I know we have the video games with kids thread, but what would you guys recommend for good introductory board games that aren’t mind numbingly awful for adults. Candyland got old so fast.

We did do a round of King of Tokyo which kiddo enjoyed because he likes rolling dice, also he fuckin killed both me and his father. His dad did have to help him a lot, however. It was still a really good time and peeled us all away from our screens.

We've done Ticket to ride: First Journey and Zombie Kidz Evolution, which is a co-op legacy game that we really liked. I think first journey my daughter was 5, and ZK not until she was 6.5, but I think you could do it earlier without much trouble. Also the Pokemon: TCG is a big hit with the battle academy starter set, but not really a 3 person thing. We also have Pokemon Labyrinth which I'm not a huge fan of but my daughter loves. She's obsessed with pokemon though so ymmv on pokemon themed stuff.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

CherryCola posted:

These are all games my kids have enjoyed over the years. Some skew younger and others older. Race to the Treasure, Dragon's Breath, Count Your Chickens, Jenga, Uno, Charades, Ticket to Ride First Journey, Telestrations.

There's a sequel to King of Tokyo called King of Monster Island which is co-op. I haven't played it yet, but the owner of my local comic book store is in love with it and plays it with his kids.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Brawnfire posted:

I had a guy say "oh you're going to grow up to be a thief" to my son when he started playing with a toy another kid walked away from in the library play room. I'm just like "he's two, dude." Dude finally crept out under my stinkeye a few minutes later without having a worthwhile comeback. Dick.

I can only imagine saying this in a positive way to a kid like if they did a really good job at swiping something

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

CherryCola posted:

My kid is 4.5 and likes these two a lot. The company specializes in cooperative family games and has the energy of someone printing a zine in their garage. Very wholesome but not particularly exciting.

https://familypastimes.com/products/harvest-time
https://familypastimes.com/en-us/products/max

When she's a little older I am looking forward to playing this one, which I backed on Kickstarter and have been keeping in reserve. A bunch of librarians defend the books from literary terrors with the help of legendary women summoned from myth and history. Looks very educational but also like a solid game on its own. Also a co-op.

https://librarylabyrinthcom.wordpress.com

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

CherryCola posted:

If they’re into Mickey, there’s a Mickey and the Beanstalk game that’s remarkably well done. It’s cooperative too, so everyone wins (or loses).

BGG Link

Kolodny fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tom Smykowski posted:

I can only imagine saying this in a positive way to a kid like if they did a really good job at swiping something

"No sir," he crows, beaming "I'm fixing to be Bandit King!"