Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

X: The Man With X-Ray Eyes is way sleazier and more hosed up than I would have imagined for the early 60s. And it gets kind of Lovecraft at the end.

Definitely, and you get to see Don Rickles berate Ray Milland so you really can’t go wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Boywhiz88 posted:

Enjoy your next new boxset approximately 4 hours from now!

Ugh goddammit that boxset sounds really loving cool

And the two mystery releases:

quote:

As we’ve hopefully demonstrated in the past, we often save the weirdest and wildest, and most unexpected films as surprises, and this upcoming duo will be no different, including the world 4K UHD debut of a slimy epic from from one of the greatest genre filmmakers to ever live along with another never-on-disc treasure that will surely satiate those craving squirm inducing carnage.

The package includes:

SECRET RELEASE #1 - 4K UHD/BD
SECRET RELEASE #2 - BD

dorium fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 22, 2023

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I got the box set and I’m excited about it. I’m not pulling the trigger on the secret releases but really curious what they’ll be.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

The box set looks neat but those blue apes are making me feel really uneasy.

They give off a Banana Splits vibe, and those things scared the poo poo out of me as a child.

Still, I'm shocked it's as reasonably priced as it is.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

PinkoBastard posted:

I got the box set and I’m excited about it. I’m not pulling the trigger on the secret releases but really curious what they’ll be.

the box set comes with the secret releases. or are you talking about the prophecy box set?

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Can’t decide if the Fatal Games slip is cool or insanely ugly..

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I went in for the secret releases. Why not. You only live once.

abelwingnut posted:

the box set comes with the secret releases. or are you talking about the prophecy box set?

The secret releases are different, the box set has it's content listed.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

oh, i was wrongly considering the 'everything vs' the box set, not the 10-disc actual box set.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

What are the odds that the slimy epic is Braindead…

quote:

world 4K UHD debut of a slimy epic from from one of the greatest genre filmmakers to ever live

Like come on… that really sounds like Jackson to me tbh and we know he’s been working on a restoration.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Last I heard/remebered, the Jackson restorations are with Arrow.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I was thinking either Dead Alive (Jackson) or Society (Yuzna)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Imprint's December releases:

Film Focus: Marlon Brando, vol 1 (Sayonara, The Fugitive Kind, 1-Eyed Jacks, The Ugly American, Bedtime Story and A Countess from Hong Kong)
Directed by Sidney Lumet, vol 1 (The Pawnbroker, The Group, The Deadly Affair, Child's Play, The Offence, Serpico and One Step Further: Becoming Lumet)
Lenny
Islands in the Stream
King of the Gypsies

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1705075612858089689?s=20

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I've only seen Serpico out of those Lumet films but "Vol. 1" is promising. May be a pickup for me just because I love his stuff.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

D.A.R.Y.L. is a pretty big get for VS. That's a forgotten 80s classic. It played on TV all the time and is quite good. Kind of somber at times, in that mid 80s style, maybe like Lucas, only with a heavy science fiction edge. It's been showing up on one of the over-the-air networks recently, I think it was either Movies or Comet, and I thought it was still pretty great. I'll be picking that one up.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Indicator's December releases, all UK-only, are all 30s Paramount (licensed from Universal):

An American Tragedy (1931, Josef von Sternberg)
Honor Among Lovers (1931, Dorothy Arzner)
Love Me Tonight (1932, Rouben Mamoulian) - Kino US already out
Desire (1936, Frank Borzage) - Kino US already out

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

If anyone was looking at that Kino sale I can whole heartedly recommend Babylon

https://kinolorber.com/product/babylon-blu-ray

one of those flicks i saw in theaters on a whim and came away with a new old favorite.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
DARYL is also really good because it's got a huge amount of the Cold War paranoia/military brinksmanship that absolutely permeated the 80s and has largely been excised from the public consciousness.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Pre-ordered Fatal Games since I had 10 bucks of VS money and some paypal funny money. Only payed $15 out of pocket. Least I secured a slot in the early shippers batch.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

the Cold War paranoia/military brinksmanship that absolutely permeated the 80s and has largely been excised from the public consciousness.

is this a joke, or..

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Oldboy is getting a region a UHD release from neon themselves, amazon has a 12/12 date but nothing else.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Yes! Finally!

It won't be as much fun as the Tartan Asia Extreme release I'm sure but hell, that's an easy pickup.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Fall Sale picks...

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Interesting 1916 adaptation. One of the 4K restorations of silents Universal recently produced and it's kind of neat seeing a film this old look so good.
The Anderson Tapes - Fun heist film starring Sean Connery and directed by Sidney Lumet.
Arabian Nights - Fun adventure, notable for being Universal's very first 3-strip Technicolor feature.
The Bank Dick - W.C. Fields' masterpiece, one of the great classic comedies.
Beau Geste - Peak classic action. Starring Gary Cooper, Ray Milland, and Robert Preston; directed by William Wellman
Blackmail - Hitchcock's first sound film and first for the UK. Has both the silent and sound versions.
Bluebeard's Eighth Wife - Charming Lubitsch comedy starring Claudette Colbert and Gary Cooper.
Butley - One of the best of the American Film Theatre productions. Alan Bates at his best and directed by Harold Pinter.
A Delicate Balance - Another excellent AFT production, this time Katharine Hepburn and Paul Scofield directed by Tony Richardson, adapting the Edward Albee play (writer of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf)
The Doll/I Don't Want to Be a Man - Double feature of Lubitsch silent comedies, among his best.
Fantomas - Fun 5-part silent serial. Really slick filmmaking for 1914-1915!
Film - Buster Keaton made a short film written by Samuel Beckett and it's quite an unusual one. Also includes a made-for-TV version of Waiting for Godot starring Burgess Meridith and Zero Mostel.
Forbidden Fruit series - These are mostly MST3K level (one, Girl Gang, was on the show), but it's interesting to see exploitation films from the era. Only one I hate so far is Wages of Sin, which is obviously a pro-eugentics propaganda.
Force of Evil - One of the great noirs and was OOP from Olive. New restoration on Kino's edition compared to OIive and Arrow UK.
The Forbidden Room - Trippy film by Guy Maddin, should see it on drugs.
Fritz Lang: The Silent Films - $70 for the complete silents of Fritz Lang is quite a deal. Has everything from Destiny through Woman in the Moon, plus a few films Lang wrote.
The Great Moment - Underrated, though studio-corrupted feature by Preston Sturges. Worth it for seeing the last interview Peter Bogdanovich gave, which was for a roundtable discussion of this film on the disc.
Hardcore - Paul Schrader's second film, one of his best.
The Hitch-hiker - One of the best 50s noirs, directed by Ida Lupino!
The Hunchback of Notre Dame - Gorgeous new restoration of the silent Lon Chaney classic.
The Iceman Cometh - Incredible AFT adaptation of the Eugene O'Neill play by John Frankenheimer, starring Lee Marvin, Fredric March, Robert Ryan, and Jeff Bridges. Has both the theatrical 3-hour cut and reconstructed 4-hour uncut version (deleted material from a 16mm print)
In Celebration - Another great AFT film, this time starring Alan Bates and Brian Cox, directed by Lindsay Anderson.
Irma la Douce - Underrated Billy Wilder comedy, starring Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine. Gorgeous 4K restoration!
Juggernaut - Underrated Richard Lester thriller with an all-star cast.
Killer's Kiss - Kubrick's second feature is a fun low-budget noir that looks amazing in the UHD. Note that no Blu-ray is included.
The Killing - Another great Kubrick. You'll need Criterion's Blu for extras (and a non-4K presntation)
The Lady from Shanghai - One of my favorite Welles films, just a trippy sort of noir. From Sony's 4K restoration and has three commentaries.
Last Year at Marienbad - Big upgrade over Criterion's OOP Blu
The Long Goodbye - My favorite Altman film, this is from a new 4K remaster
Marty - Wonderful 50s drama (and Best Picture winner) starring Ernest Borgnine. New 4K remaster in original 1.85:1 for the first time.
Maya Deren Collection - Great avant-garde short films, including Meshes of the Afternoon.
The Maze - One of the most ridiculous, but fun 3D films of the era. Directed by William Cameron Menzies the same year as Invaders from Mars.
Michael - Carl Dreyer silent, surprising gay subtext for a 20s film
The Milky Way - One of Bunuel's funnier later films, this time satirizing hereseys of the Catholic Church.
Millenium Mambo - Haven't seen it, but it's clearly been a highly requested title and is making it into my cart.
Munchhausen - Fun 1943 German (yes, during Nazi rule) iteration of the Baron. Worth seeing if you like the 60s Karel Zeman or 80s Terry Gilliam films. Gorgeous restoration of the original Agfacolor version.
Never Give a Sucker an Even Break - W.C. Fields' last feature role (other than cameos) is a wonderful postmodern comedy that would make a good double feature with Hellzapoppin
On the Beach - Chilling Cold War drama and about as bleak as a classic can get.
Our Hospitality - One of Keaton's best comedies and the Lobster Films version looks better than the Cohen restoration.
The Outer Limits - Often an equal to The Twilight Zone, great sets!
The Party - If you can forgive this for having Peter Sellers in brownface, it's a great improv-based comedy.
Paths of Glory - Kubrick's first masterpiece. UHD only.
Pioneers of African-American Cinema - Essential collection of mostly silent-era, but some 30s/40s material. Worth it just for the Micheaux films and The Bronze Buckaroo.
Planet of the Vampires - Mario Bava's Alien
The Producers - Still one of Mel Brooks' best films and one of his funniest. Great restoration!
The Raven - One of the best of the Corman Poe cycle. Vincent Price, Boris Karloff, Peter Lorre, and Jack Nicholson all in the same film!
Rhinoceros - AFT adaptation of the absurdit play starring Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder. Worth it just to see the stars in another film other than The Producers.
Silent Avant-Garde - Three hours of remastered short films, mostly from the silent era, but includes my all-time favorite N.Y., N.Y.
Sweet Charity - Bob Fosse's directorial debut starring Shirley MacLaine in a musical adaptation of Fellini's Nights of Cabiria.
Tropic Thunder - Theatrical 4K disc, director's cut Blu disc, outstanding remaster and still a hilarious film.
The UFO Incident - Based on the true story of Barney and Betty Hill, starring James Earl Jones and Estelle Parsons. One of the best made-for-TV films of its time and the two leads are fantastic in this.
A Zed and Two Noughts/The Falls - Two of Greenaway's best, finally available in the US.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is there any guess on when stuff from the orbit sale will ship? I don't order from them usually and just wondering what to expect.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Gonna +1 The Raven. Instead of the gothic nature of some of the Corman/Price Poe films, you get a really fun horror spoof with a Who's Who of horror icons having a great time, culminating in an awesome campy wizard battle. It feels like Young Frankenstein at points but ten years earlier and the sets are also gorgeous. It's one of my pickups this sale.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Definitely recommend The Outer Limits and Planet of the Vampires

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there any guess on when stuff from the orbit sale will ship? I don't order from them usually and just wondering what to expect.

I order from them all the time and they ship really fast. Usually within the day, very rarely the next day. Orbit are easily the fastest boutique distro.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I'm watching the first Avengers film this afternoon with my family. We've watched all the films leading up to it on Disney Plus, and they looked good, but this one I own on 1080p Blu-ray. Just wondering what format the thread recommends to use?

My understanding is the Blu-ray will win on sound quality, and also colour definition due to lack of any compression. The stream may win in terms of featuring HDR, and possibly its native resolution, though some sites I've read suggest the latter of these may be counter-acted by compression and lower bit-rate, and the former possibly by good modern upscaling.

To fill in other info, the disc player is a Panasonic DP-UB820. TV is an LG GX, 77 inch. Viewing distance is well within the correct range to appreciate 4K. I have a good sound setup with 5.1.4 and Monitor Audio Silvers.

Internet download speed is only around 17/18 mbps, albeit on my desktop on the same floor of the house as the TV and not the TV itself. Both are hard-wired rather than wireless.

I guess it also depends on the film itself and the streaming service.

So, if you were me, what source would you go for? I own Phase III on UHD Blu-ray, so that will be a no-brainer when we get to that point, but on this I'm less sure, though leaning towards the Blu-ray

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 24, 2023

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

ultraviolence123 posted:

I order from them all the time and they ship really fast. Usually within the day, very rarely the next day. Orbit are easily the fastest boutique distro.

Haha well that's a little distressing, my order was from Monday and it still hasn't shipped.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
In a case of excellent timing I just saw and bought a good condition, second hand copy of the Criterion release of Ugetsu from my local Cex, after seeing Hideo Kojima choose it as one of his Criterion closet picks.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I'm watching the first Avengers film this afternoon with my family. We've watched all the films leading up to it on Disney Plus, and they looked good, but this one I own on 1080p Blu-ray. Just wondering what format the thread recommends to use?

My understanding is the Blu-ray will win on sound quality, and also colour definition due to lack of any compression. The stream may win in terms of featuring HDR, and possibly its native resolution, though some sites I've read suggest the latter of these may be counter-acted by compression and lower bit-rate, and the former possibly by good modern upscaling.

To fill in other info, the disc player is a Panasonic DP-UB820. TV is an LG GX, 77 inch. Viewing distance is well within the correct range to appreciate 4K. I have a good sound setup with 5.1.4 and Monitor Audio Silvers.

Internet download speed is only around 17/18 mbps, albeit on my desktop on the same floor of the house as the TV and not the TV itself. Both are hard-wired rather than wireless.

So, if you were me, what source would you go for? I own Phase III on UHD Blu-ray, so that will be a no-brainer when we get to that point, but on this I'm less sure, though leaning towards the Blu-ray

It's a marvel movie, so I'd just go with whatever is the easiest personally. As someone who has watched all 30 of these (more then 30?) I would also say don't do it, but that's a different thread. Good luck goon

Kingtheninja posted:

Haha well that's a little distressing, my order was from Monday and it still hasn't shipped.

apparently they've never had a sale before, but IIRC they had a little blurb that shipping might take a little longer then usual due to volume

wicked duck
Sep 2, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

You’re not alone here at least. My order last week of sale items hasn’t shipped either.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Mine hasn't shipped either but I definitely remember the blurb about shipping taking a bit that zer0spunk mentioned.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Tremble All You Want is extremely good and absolutely worth picking up the next VS sale.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
The Incredible Melting Man is definitely so bad it's good. A great VS blind buy, as opposed to the just plain bad ones I've had.

The parcel for Her Smell is rad, too. A fake Spin magazine slip!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Are you watching it with kids? If so, just use streaming, because you'll be pausing it constantly for the bathroom, snacks, and what have you.

If you have kids, look into a projector. There is no greater carrot on a stick than movie night with sleeping bags in the basement. This one is cheap and easy to set up: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Q5GJ7J7/

If the kids knock it over, you're out fifty bucks.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

The Dragon Dynasty Blu-rays for The Killer and Hard-Boiled look pretty poor. Both titles need a proper release. My DVD for Hard-Boiled looks better than the Blu. Also can't find a legit disc for City on Fire. Would like to see that one come out. Hopefully we'll see announcements soon.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

ultraviolence123 posted:

The Dragon Dynasty Blu-rays for The Killer and Hard-Boiled look pretty poor. Both titles need a proper release. My DVD for Hard-Boiled looks better than the Blu. Also can't find a legit disc for City on Fire. Would like to see that one come out. Hopefully we'll see announcements soon.

I would buy a woo 4k boxset, for sure.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

What's the deal with Hard Boiled and The Killer anyway?

Are the rights just stuck in limbo because Weinstein owns them or something?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Biff Rockgroin posted:

What's the deal with Hard Boiled and The Killer anyway?

Are the rights just stuck in limbo because Weinstein owns them or something?

My understanding is that the rights are with a big company that doesn't do films and isn't interested in licensing.

I've wondered if the same thing explains why there isn't, say, an 88 Films release of City On Fire or Tiger On Beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'm still convinced stranglehold, the video game sequel to hard boiled, is a fever dream I had and not actually real.

https://www.gog.com/game/stranglehold 2 bucks on gog though if you never gave this a go.