Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lazy_Liberal posted:

is hausu (Japan, 1977) good? it's playing at my local theater.

Oh hell yeah. I don't know about good but it's completely insane start to finish, go in as blind as you can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Lazy_Liberal posted:

its GOAT

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Devil (the M Night produced one) really has the most powerful Stupid Guy Energy of any movie I've seen, particularly because it isn't like...crazy stupid or interesting stupid, it's some very conventional Hallmark Channel brain. Every time Jacob Vargas says anything you can just see the dead-eyed stare of the writer.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Absolute must-see.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lazy_Liberal posted:

It's one of the greatest films of the 70s.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Man, I'm jealous that I don't get to watch Hausu on a big screen in a room full of people

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
A late comment but regarding the getting-older-and-not-liking-certain-things chat from a few pages back, I stopped watching Under The Skin during the scene on the beach. No moral qualms or anything, just couldn't stomach it at the time. I was very surprised by my reaction.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

huh posted:

A late comment but regarding the getting-older-and-not-liking-certain-things chat from a few pages back, I stopped watching Under The Skin during the scene on the beach. No moral qualms or anything, just couldn't stomach it at the time. I was very surprised by my reaction.

I had a full on panic attack during that scene and spent an hour sobbing and wandering around my neighborhood in the dark.

I also drowned as a child so…. But I’ve had some bad experiences with some movies but nothing like that.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Hausu is an all time great group watch.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Hausu isn't just one of my favorite films, it's one of the most insane films. If it came out today it'd have that reaction, so I can only imagine what it must have felt like seeing it in '77

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Alien invasions are not specifically horror like I would not call Independence Day horror but I'd call War of the Worlds (Spielberg) horror.

The Faculty is horror and that is alien invasion. Invasion of the Body Snatchers is horror.

Independence Day is an action/disaster movie which CAN be horror adjacent in my mind.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Pretty much any setting or plot can be horror, but some settings or plots can only be horror (or a combination, horror comedy or whatever). Alien invasion movies aren't necessarily horror but definitely can be.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is The Watch horror

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah but it only dips it's toes in. World's End too, but again only barely.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Deadite posted:

I’m at a horror market and horror fans might be the last buyers of VHS tapes

Something about videotapes makes them feel so much of their time. And I don't mean "of the VHS era" or anything like that, I mean literally of the moment they were released. And that was the case even back when they were the dominant format. I'd pull out a tape and feel like I'm watching some antiquated relic from two years earlier. You get a little bit of this with old DVDs with particularly dated menus, but usually that passes when the movie itself is rolling.

I'm sure it's some combination of the rapidly shifting visual and marketing styles of the 80s & 90s and the analog format giving the footage an "aging" quality, but it's such a palpable feeling that's hard to totally pin down.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
yeah, videotape tech was already decades old by the time most people owned a vcr. there was only like a 4 year gap between when my family got a vcr and when we got a cd player and the two felt completely different.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/watchfuleyeart/status/1706038453157187728?s=46

Deadite posted:

I’m at a horror market and horror fans might be the last buyers of VHS tapes

Oof that’s the Ghostbuster VHS I need. I’ve got that same GB2 already.

dorium fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 25, 2023

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Attack the Block is a good alien invasion horror!

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Something about videotapes makes them feel so much of their time. And I don't mean "of the VHS era" or anything like that, I mean literally of the moment they were released. And that was the case even back when they were the dominant format. I'd pull out a tape and feel like I'm watching some antiquated relic from two years earlier. You get a little bit of this with old DVDs with particularly dated menus, but usually that passes when the movie itself is rolling.

I'm sure it's some combination of the rapidly shifting visual and marketing styles of the 80s & 90s and the analog format giving the footage an "aging" quality, but it's such a palpable feeling that's hard to totally pin down.

I feel that way when I find a DVD that has Easter eggs hidden in the menus, that feels very early 2000s, does anyone even do that anymore?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Devil (the M Night produced one) really has the most powerful Stupid Guy Energy of any movie I've seen, particularly because it isn't like...crazy stupid or interesting stupid, it's some very conventional Hallmark Channel brain. Every time Jacob Vargas says anything you can just see the dead-eyed stare of the writer.
A bible verse displayed on screen in the opening, then a voice-over about the verse, then more about the devil story in voice-over and in-scene conversation. It's OK, but honestly treats the audience as incapable of understanding THIS IS THE MESSAGE, PLEASE GET THE MESSAGE

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Impetigore fuckin slaps!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

COBWEB was good fun. could have used a few more bloody kills here and there, but it's a solid origin story and i really hope they make a sequel.

and then COBWEB VI can be COBWEB vs MALIGNANT vs M3GAN

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Speaking of Vs movies I really want to see The Pope's Exorcist vs the Evil Dead.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I wish there was Evil Dead vs Re-Animator.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Did not hear a single thing about this until five minutes ago.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

I wish there was Evil Dead vs Re-Animator.

I think that was a comic book.

Gimme hellraiser vs robocop

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Is Dastmalchian the late night host or the devil?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Did anyone read the Garth Marenghi book? Worth it? I read a passage and it certainly captures the cadence of Darkplace but I can imagine that getting exhausting pretty quick in book form.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 25, 2023

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Did not hear a single thing about this until five minutes ago.

quote:

Presented in a found footage style, David Dastmalchian stars as Jack Delroy, the host of a fictional 1970s variety and late-night talk show titled Night Owls with Jack Delroy. The film purports to be derived from a rediscovered master tape of an episode from the show's sixth season, broadcast on Halloween 1977; during this live television broadcast, havoc unfolds when Delroy interviews a parapsychologist (Laura Gordon) and the subject of her recent book, a young teenager (Ingrid Torelli) who was the sole survivor of a Satanic church's mass suicide.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Deadite posted:

I feel that way when I find a DVD that has Easter eggs hidden in the menus, that feels very early 2000s, does anyone even do that anymore?

I don't think so. Probably a combination of not having the attention span to look for Easter eggs and/or the price of DVDs has gone down so you don't feel the need to make sure you're getting the most bang for the buck.

feedmyleg posted:

Did anyone read the Garth Marenghi book? Worth it? I read a passage and it certainly captures the cadence of Darkplace but I can imagine that getting exhausting pretty quick in book form.

Terrordome? I'd say see about borrowing from the library because it is excruciatingly exhausting in book form.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I downloaded it for my kindle and read the first couple pages. It seemed fine but I have like, not pretend-bad books to read..maybe sometime

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'd imagine the audiobook would be the best way to go on that. I see he has another one coming out on Halloween

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

I'd imagine the audiobook would be the best way to go on that. I see he has another one coming out on Halloween

yeah the audiobook is read by him and is terrific, way more fun than reading it

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Origami Dali posted:

The audiobook would probably be the better option. I've read through many a book that's been an absolute slog to get through and with Terrordome, I actually had to take breaks reading something else to build up the effort to finish it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

A bible verse displayed on screen in the opening, then a voice-over about the verse, then more about the devil story in voice-over and in-scene conversation. It's OK, but honestly treats the audience as incapable of understanding THIS IS THE MESSAGE, PLEASE GET THE MESSAGE

I remember seeing Devil with some friends that didn't really watch horror and they were blown the gently caress away lol. I'm glad they had a great time but it was really not great.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Grizzled old guy in a cap sitting alone at a table in a bar: y'ever hear of this guy... the DEVIL?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

This was made specifically for me and I can't believe it's the first I'm hearing of it as well.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

If anyone is interested in this setup (and it's a good one), track down History of the Occult/Historia de lo Oculto from 2020, it's an Argentinian movie with a very similar premise and it might be the only thing not made by David Lynch that really hits those Lynchian vibes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Professor Funk posted:

I don’t know if this is a hot take for this thread but my wife and I just watched Talk to Me after hearing great things and…we kind of hated it? The central concept with the hand was interesting but I felt like it never came close to reaching the extra gear that the concept was capable of hitting.

i kinda hated it too. we can start a three person "kind of hated Talk to Me" club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

If anyone is interested in this setup (and it's a good one), track down History of the Occult/Historia de lo Oculto from 2020, it's an Argentinian movie with a very similar premise and it might be the only thing not made by David Lynch that really hits those Lynchian vibes.

oh drat, sold. lining this up for the weekend

https://youtu.be/4TK4uS9dzdM?si=odkDpY3KtXe3fIJI