Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

yum posted:

latest chapter of csm Nobara? is that you?

KidDynamite posted:

i had the same thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I think the anime viewers latched on more to the Gojo-Geto relationship.

I’m confident they’ll learn that Kenny is a great villain to root against, especially after his connection to Itadori and Choso is revealed.

Yeah, anime only viewers have no information at all about him, so they're reacting to a villain they have build-up for being replaced with one that (to their current knowledge) is a complete unknown. It's a reasonable reaction in that context.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

I think the anime viewers latched on more to the Gojo-Geto relationship.

I’m confident they’ll learn that Kenny is a great villain to root against, especially after his connection to Itadori and Choso is revealed.

A parent who goes out of their way to thank a friend for looking out for their kid?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Tiramisu posted:

A parent who goes out of their way to thank a friend for looking out for their kid?

That chapter was so good, it rounds him out as a character.

I've given the current situation much thought and I'm completely fine with this. Welcome it even. Gojo and Geto are reunited~

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The theory that kenjaku body hops into gojos body is still likely but I’ve been wondering recently if instead gojo becomes a cursed object. Kenny either does this by force or the “go south go north” thing is foreshadowing him becoming something new

Gojo becoming literally 6 eyes feels extremely jjk

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

The theory that kenjaku body hops into gojos body is still likely but I’ve been wondering recently if instead gojo becomes a cursed object. Kenny either does this by force or the “go south go north” thing is foreshadowing him becoming something new

Gojo becoming literally 6 eyes feels extremely jjk

Watch Gojo possess his cool shades

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Seems like we're getting more fightin with more fighters in the next chapter

and four arm sukuna :stare:

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

Seems like we're getting more fightin with more fighters in the next chapter

and four arm sukuna :stare:

Can we not do discussion until at least the scans are out? I don’t know if it’s a rule in this thread, but it is in others and it at least keeps us all roughly on the same page discussion wise

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

this thread looking like a CIA document for like a week also sucked last week.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Asuron posted:

Can we not do discussion until at least the scans are out? I don’t know if it’s a rule in this thread, but it is in others and it at least keeps us all roughly on the same page discussion wise

Yeah I agree with this

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

Was there as much complaining about the Geto reveal when it happened in the manga as there seems to be from the anime.

I personally was super-mad because I hadn't read JJK 0 so it felt like a pointless flip. In retrospect it makes more sense, though I'll say, Kenjaku is straight-up a less interesting villain than Geto (in general, the series suffered a lot I think from burning through all of its best villains early).

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Asuron posted:

Will do.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, anime only viewers have no information at all about him, so they're reacting to a villain they have build-up for being replaced with one that (to their current knowledge) is a complete unknown. It's a reasonable reaction in that context.
Isn't the JJK: 0 movie pretty popular? I figured that the anime-only crowd would be more familiar with Okkutsu and Geto's whole backstory compared to manga readers during this reveal.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

UnderFreddy posted:

this thread looking like a CIA document for like a week also sucked last week.

This idea is so dumb and always has been. People posting about the early chapter leaks would just not be posting otherwise, ao you're not missing anything. So is it just aesthetic issues? Just don't read it then.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Every other thread has kicked that poo poo out and I don't see why this should be any different.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Isn't the JJK: 0 movie pretty popular? I figured that the anime-only crowd would be more familiar with Okkutsu and Geto's whole backstory compared to manga readers during this reveal.

Im watching the series with guys that only half tune in when watching stuff and despite me hinting that Kenjaku is not Geto they were still caught off guard by the reveal. They watched the movie and everything, they still thought that he was Geto and that the plot was still gonna revolve around his ideals. Maybe it was the order of things?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I don't think it's really the order so much as that for some reason people just genuinely seemed to take it at face value that Geto was still alive and that head scar was just...a design choice, I guess?. Also an extremely weird dash of "so why even revisit him in Hidden Inventory if he's dead? That was pointless."

It's been very strange to me.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This idea is so dumb and always has been. People posting about the early chapter leaks would just not be posting otherwise, ao you're not missing anything. So is it just aesthetic issues? Just don't read it then.
When there's black bar discussion, I try to find the link so I can have context for the black bar discussion. The request made sense to me!

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
I went and compared a bit and Gege did some pretty neat foreshadowing about Mahoraga's second cleave adaptation.

This is Sukuna's first cleave in the battle. You can tell it cut a chunk out of the building but there's still a details and you can see the rest of the building. Like it was a projectile that missed and did colleteral damage.

This is Mahoraga's second cleave. It looks completely different. No more details, just a black void, like everything that used to occupy that space has now been erased.

Cool stuff.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

cgfreak posted:

I went and compared a bit and Gege did some pretty neat foreshadowing about Mahoraga's second cleave adaptation.

This is Sukuna's first cleave in the battle. You can tell it cut a chunk out of the building but there's still a details and you can see the rest of the building. Like it was a projectile that missed and did colleteral damage.

This is Mahoraga's second cleave. It looks completely different. No more details, just a black void, like everything that used to occupy that space has now been erased.

Cool stuff.

After the second cleave Sukuna has a mustache twirling moment, where he’s like “hmmmm interesting” as well.

I reread the whole 14 chapter fight last night. It flows extremely well when read in one go.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm fine with not discussing spoilers in here, but admittedly last week was kind of a special case. Every week shouldn't get that treatment though.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

I'm fine with not discussing spoilers in here, but admittedly last week was kind of a special case. Every week shouldn't get that treatment though.

last week sucked because I'd come back to the thread to see if the scans were out and people had just given up on spoiler bars altogether so now I was able to surmise about what had happened

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I don't have an issue for early fan translation via TCB or whatever, but discussing the chapter via spoilers for something that hasn't even come out in that format yet and could be entirely up to misinterpretation to whoever is leaking it seems like something we shouldn't be discussing.

As the poster above me said, last week was the exception , but definitely should not be the norm.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 27, 2023

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Cool observation. I think someone earlier mentioned that Gege could've made the slash extend out the panels, so it looks like it's cutting the page itself. That would've been a sick detail to emphasize Mahoraga's space-cutting slash.

Asuron posted:

I was thinking exactly that. That Toji fit is cursed, nothing but bad things happen to the people who wear it.

I think Gege had made comments about how he regrets killing him off so quick and it really reflects in the story, his presence is felt everywhere.

I didn't notice until someone pointed it out that Toji made a cameo in the airport!

but that might mean it was a dream all along

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

tbh I didn't like it that much - the manga is clearly a pilot, JJK became something bigger theme-wise, and there's little reflection of this in JJK0; the movie is a carbon copy of the manga. I would've liked seeing Todo earning his grade 1 status or Hakari clashing with the rest of the sorcery institution.

It is competently made but I felt like there was room for improvement.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I think it's fine that we wait for the TCB scans and I don't follow many other manga threads as closely as this one, so I wasn't aware of the existing rules about leaks, but I also think it's dumb to act like last week was in any way representative of the week to week activity this thread receives. There was definitely an excess of black bars last week but doesn't that kind of happen for any given piece of serial media on the week of a major plot beat?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yeah I don't blame anyone for going crazy considering what happened this past chapter.

But this week? I'll probably just wait for the official release because

Shinjobi posted:

I hope Kashimo is squashed in two panels cause you couldn't pay me to give a poo poo about him

Get the hell out of the way old man

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Agreed we should get the new chapter tomorrow anyway. It’s not too long a wait.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I enjoyed the pilot but it's pretty much a neat little self-contained story. The anime however brings some incredible production values with it, and Megumi Ogata voicing Okkotsu couldn't be more apt. That said I miss the student sorcerers a lot... like Miwa lol

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Every single time any of the big shonen manga have Big Deal Events happening people lose their poo poo about spoiler bars, this isn’t a problem just with this one

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

I enjoyed the pilot but it's pretty much a neat little self-contained story. The anime however brings some incredible production values with it, and Megumi Ogata voicing Okkotsu couldn't be more apt. That said I miss the student sorcerers a lot... like Miwa lol

I've been a bit in and out for the manga, but that's one thing that stands out to me lately. You've got big cast of characters people got attached to in the anime, ranging from Yuji, the unprepared outsider, to the mightiest sorcerer of all, Miwa. There's a ton of emotional investment there.

And then post-Shibuya, a bunch of them are dead or maimed, which can be compelling... except that instead of focusing on people who we're already attached to (Gojo, Yuji, Megumi, Nobara, Yuta, Maki, Miwa), the manga just wanders off to go and have lengthy fights between people we haven't seen before the Culling Game arc, with ambiguous stakes, as the fates of the mains is left offscreen. And then it moves on to new characters we don't know, rather than settling on some of the newbies as the focus to get us attached.

I think something similar might be going on with anime fans being more upset about the villain swap. Manga readers had a big gap for zero, with many of them not even knowing it existed, while anime fans just got the movie, then a big arc explaining why all that went down, and then... whoops! It didn't matter in regards to why the new main villain does things. Kind of feels like a cheat.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I just reread shinjuku up to present and theres some stuff about culling game i still like or liked more on reread but overall it draaaaaags still.

And all that build up just for this massive reverasal on Gojo is such a joke even if it absolutely needed to happen.

Nobara better show up soon :colbert:

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Miwa got robbed

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
https://cubari.moe/read/gist/cmF3L0pKS3ZhdWx0L0pKSy1jaGFwdGVycy9tYXN0ZXIvSkpLLmpzb24/237/2/

rough scanslation of 237

Caros
May 14, 2008

Oh good.

Sukuna literally had the ability to full heal (and presumably power up) at any point and just chose to save it. That sure makes the previous fight feel like had meaningful stakes and wasn't just the bad guy sandbagging for drama.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Caros posted:

Oh good.

Sukuna literally had the ability to full heal (and presumably power up) at any point and just chose to save it. That sure makes the previous fight feel like had meaningful stakes and wasn't just the bad guy sandbagging for drama.

I guess the full heal would've sealed off access to ten shadows? Also: this means Megumi is one step closer to being dead, isn't he...?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Well he was probably confident he could beat Gojo without it. But then he got so supremely messed up by Gojo that he now has no choice but to use it

Caros
May 14, 2008

Char posted:

I guess the full heal would've sealed off access to ten shadows? Also: this means Megumi is one step closer to being dead, isn't he...?

True, I suppose that is possible.

I guess to give benefit of the doubt this for might have weaknesses that gojo could have exploited.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Hopefully it's not a full heal and his domain expansion is still unavailable, otherwise a) the protags are hosed and b) Gege really cheapens the last four months that have been spent on the Gojo-Sukuna fight. I give Kashimo two-three chapters before he gets dunked on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7502/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-237