Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Last Dangerous Visions supposedly comes next year, after over half a century (it's going to be garbage).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Kylaer posted:

Counterpoint, Malazan should never be read and everyone should read Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series instead.

Counterpoint, fantasy should never be read and everyone should read The Communist Manifesto and Belinda Blinked instead.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Read War and Peace, in the original russian-with-french-dialogue not the tedious translations, if you must read a fantasy book

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Pennsylvanian posted:

Remember when three years to develop Daikatana was considered to be a ludicrously long time for a game to be made?

luckily that after such a long wait that and the later dark tower books all lived up to expectations!

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

E erybody should binge read Malazan books in the meantime

I have read the entire Malazan series three times during the last 20 years, so I think I’ll pass.
Maybe do LotR a sixth time or prince of nothing a third time.
At least prince of nothing have an end.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Anders posted:

Counterpoint, fantasy should never be read and everyone should read The Communist Manifesto and Belinda Blinked instead.

But not reading fantasy excludes reading The Communist Manifesto :shrug:

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

crepeface posted:

remember when Stephen King couldn't finish his magnum opus The Dark Tower and delayed the next book for a massive 6 year delay lmao

lol I do. I think a Stephen King newsgroup was one of the very first online communities I ever joined, even before GameFAQs, and that was basically a weekly topic in the late 90s. Of course it wasn't "he's doing nothing" and more "why is he working trash nobody is going to read like The Green Mile and Bag of Bones instead of focusing all his efforts on the greatest book series of all time???"

then he got hit by a car and people were genuinely afraid he'd die or be forced to retire before he could finish it

I'm very glad he didn't die. Not so glad about the rest, though

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Cardiac posted:

Ha, I keep meaning to make it to the last book but as fun as some of the ideas are it is just a SLOG sometimes. Even removing all the rape from my thought it's still just tiresome.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The slog of slogs boys!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

WarpDogs posted:

lol I do. I think a Stephen King newsgroup was one of the very first online communities I ever joined, even before GameFAQs, and that was basically a weekly topic in the late 90s. Of course it wasn't "he's doing nothing" and more "why is he working trash nobody is going to read like The Green Mile and Bag of Bones instead of focusing all his efforts on the greatest book series of all time???"

then he got hit by a car and people were genuinely afraid he'd die or be forced to retire before he could finish it

I'm very glad he didn't die. Not so glad about the rest, though

I legit believe W&G was the peak of the series and would have been fine with it being the last book.

The final 3 were pretty underwhelming, and the ending was pure, uncut King Ending Syndrome.

Similarly, if ASoIaF isn't going to be finished (it's not), I'd prefer that Feast and Dance didn't even exist so the series could have at least died on a high note.

Giragast
Oct 25, 2004
Inquire within about our potato famine!

Pennsylvanian posted:

Remember when three years to develop Daikatana was considered to be a ludicrously long time for a game to be made?

Duke Nukem Forever still has TWoW beat at 14 years

...for now

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cardiac posted:

I have read the entire Malazan series three times during the last 20 years, so I think I’ll pass.
Maybe do LotR a sixth time or prince of nothing a third time.

Nah, read Gormenghast instead. And the Worm Ouroboros. Finish it up with The Night Lands. Then you know all the classics.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Libluini posted:

Nah, read Gormenghast instead. And the Worm Ouroboros. Finish it up with The Night Lands. Then you know all the classics.

Nah, already done.
And the difference between fantasy and classic fables/god tales is merely a point of view.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

Let’s all read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell.

Speaking of next books that are coming out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

drat, I didn't even realize she was doing a sequel? Although big differences are 1) the first one tells a complete story (it's not like she left it on Jonathan Strange scooping dysentery water into Mr. Norrell's mouth while he shat continuously); and 2) it seems like she has an actual illness preventing her from writing

Libluini posted:

The Vorrh trilogy too

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Guy A. Person posted:

drat, I didn't even realize she was doing a sequel? Although big differences are 1) the first one tells a complete story (it's not like she left it on Jonathan Strange scooping dysentery water into Mr. Norrell's mouth while he shat continuously); and 2) it seems like she has an actual illness preventing her from writing

The Vorrh trilogy too

O Clarke is blameless. I just really, really want a book all about Childermass.

JS&MrN is so good she could spend the rest of her days cutting me off in traffic and I’d still think she was morally in the positive.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Kuiperdolin posted:

The slog of slogs boys!

And death came swirling down.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

The Vorrh trilogy too

I'm not sure I'd call a trilogy that was written in the span of 2012-2018 a "classic".

But it looks certainly interesting enough to be worth a read, I'll give you that.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Libluini posted:

I'm not sure I'd call a trilogy that was written in the span of 2012-2018 a "classic".

But it looks certainly interesting enough to be worth a read, I'll give you that.

that's just how low the bar is for classic fantasy my poster

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
lol, taking an entire six years to complete one's fantasy story

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Anyone looking for a good fantasy with political stuff that is sufficiently grim should check out Black Leopard, Red Wolf by Marlon James.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

For all his faults, I think one of his biggest ones in these books is his insistence on killing off narrative POV characters, then introducing new ones to replace them.

I always thought a more interesting narrative technique would have been: have a large cast of POV characters, then gradually whittle them down until you only have two opposing views, until the end where there's only one alive/remaining.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Speaking of fandoms with long waits.

The subreddit for Silksong (hollow knight's sequel) has gone quite mad. Some funny/overtly elaborate content being produced. Lots of poo poo too.

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 3, 2023

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Happy Landfill posted:

I have been hopefully telling myself since at least 2012, "maybe we'll hear something about Winds this year :downs:"

It's me. I'm the fool

I read all the books in 2014 and shouted down all the haters about how GRRM would totally finish the series. Here I am on the cusp of 2024, having long conceded defeat. Martin and Kojima, two creators who made fools of me because I tried to defend them.

I'm not gonna tell anybody to not enjoy what they enjoy, but I've given up on GRRM long ago and prefer Brandon Sanderson both because he will actually finish his series and also because he writes about things I care about.

Like, the "complexity" of ASOIAF is entirely missing when it comes to religion. Religion is kind of an all-important feature of a "medieval" society. Yet the Faith of the Seven is a totally unexplored joke, the organization a cheap Catholic Church stand-in. Sanderson's works are big on exploring how religion deeply impacts society and informing us of the beliefs of these religions, too. Not gonna sit here and call him the best writer but, as I said, for what I want out of a cool Fantasy story, he delivers way more than GRRM does as GRRM objectively falls short in some key, obvious areas.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Davros1 posted:

For all his faults, I think one of his biggest ones in these books is his insistence on killing off narrative POV characters, then introducing new ones to replace them.

I always thought a more interesting narrative technique would have been: have a large cast of POV characters, then gradually whittle them down until you only have two opposing views, until the end where there's only one alive/remaining.

yeah i think sticking with the original POVs and whittling them down would have been way more interesting. you don't need to have POVs for young griffgon or the martells or any of these other people just have them vaguely present in rumors and other incidental mentions until they burst onto the scene

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Davros1 posted:

When does he does that? Like the whole list of killed PoV characters is Eddard, Catelyn, Arys, Quentyn, Jon Snow

Of those, Arys is an example I guess, but he only ever had one chapter in the first place.

Eddard I don’t think that anyone would argue gets replaced by another character.

Catelyn gets replaced by Jaimie and/or Brienne maybe? It’s a stretch. Mostly the whole plot she was involved with just ends. She’s also only mostly dead.

Jon’s probably getting his PoV back after handing it over temporarily to Melisandre.

Quentyn was never going to be our eyes in Meereen. His eyes only existed to be melted by dragonfire. Barristan did have to be introduced as a new PoV in the city, but because Dany is missing, not because Quentyn is dead.

Then there’s like every one of the prologues and epilogues, but they’re their own self‐contained things.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Platystemon posted:

When does he does that? Like the whole list of killed PoV characters is Eddard, Catelyn, Arys, Quentyn, Jon Snow

Of those, Arys is an example I guess, but he only ever had one chapter in the first place.

Eddard I don’t think that anyone would argue gets replaced by another character.

Catelyn gets replaced by Jaimie and/or Brienne maybe? It’s a stretch. Mostly the whole plot she was involved with just ends. She’s also only mostly dead.

Jon’s probably getting his PoV back after handing it over temporarily to Melisandre.

Quentyn was never going to be our eyes in Meereen. His eyes only existed to be melted by dragonfire. Barristan did have to be introduced as a new PoV in the city, but because Dany is missing, not because Quentyn is dead.

Then there’s like every one of the prologues and epilogues, but they’re their own self‐contained things.

I think you're taking "replace them" too literally. Their specific plots and POVs don't necessarily get replaced, but there are more POV characters in each book than in the book before it, and that's arguably worse because it means there are POV characters for even more plots and it makes things feel less and less like they're actually headed to a conclusion.

There are 8 POV characters in AGoT. Eddard dies, obv, but ACoK adds six chapters from Theon and three from Davos. ASoS adds Jaime and Sam, kills Catelyn. AFfC finally adds Cersei (who has more chapters than anyone else in the book), Brienne (who's second), five Greyjoy chapters and four Dorne chapters. ADwD isn't quite as bad because it's more focused on the preexisting plots, but it still adds Quentyn, Barristan and Connington.

And I think that's what Davros was getting at. As POV characters get killed off, it should feel like the overall plot is progressing. Instead it's typically an opportunity to get page time for a new subplot, which stalls the overall plot because now we have another thing to get established and then keep up with.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The new characters aren’t helping, but I don’t think that they’re what’s holding George back. He’s constitutionally incapable of completing the core characters’ stories. It’s not an issue of too many pages to write.

If George hadn’t been procrastinating from the main plot by writing Quentyn’s chapters, he’d be procrastinating by writing about football. Quentyn may as well be a Wild Cards character for all that he matters.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

NikkolasKing posted:

I read all the books in 2014 and shouted down all the haters about how GRRM would totally finish the series. Here I am on the cusp of 2024, having long conceded defeat. Martin and Kojima, two creators who made fools of me because I tried to defend them.

I'm not gonna tell anybody to not enjoy what they enjoy, but I've given up on GRRM long ago and prefer Brandon Sanderson both because he will actually finish his series and also because he writes about things I care about.

Like, the "complexity" of ASOIAF is entirely missing when it comes to religion. Religion is kind of an all-important feature of a "medieval" society. Yet the Faith of the Seven is a totally unexplored joke, the organization a cheap Catholic Church stand-in. Sanderson's works are big on exploring how religion deeply impacts society and informing us of the beliefs of these religions, too. Not gonna sit here and call him the best writer but, as I said, for what I want out of a cool Fantasy story, he delivers way more than GRRM does as GRRM objectively falls short in some key, obvious areas.

as a recently-believing religious person who spent most of my life thoroughly agnostic, the way GRRM writes religion annoys me too. We've got all these characters who are supposedly devout, in a world where this poo poo is clearly loving real because there are zombies and dragons and wargs and facechanging ninjas and priests rezzing people.

The Seven especially because they stand out as... never doing anything? They're the fake gods invented by the 12-year-old reddit atheist, and everyone else is real.

Someone like Davos, whose thing is being at least somewhat devout and feeling conflict with someone else who is also devout for a different faith, and we live some chapters in his head, maybe have Davos tell us some stuff about why he likes the Seven and not the Red God?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Warrior is real, he’s thirty feet tall, and he smote the tyrant Syrax with a black blade made of smoke. :colbert:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 3, 2023

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

disaster pastor posted:

I think you're taking "replace them" too literally. Their specific plots and POVs don't necessarily get replaced, but there are more POV characters in each book than in the book before it, and that's arguably worse because it means there are POV characters for even more plots and it makes things feel less and less like they're actually headed to a conclusion.

There are 8 POV characters in AGoT. Eddard dies, obv, but ACoK adds six chapters from Theon and three from Davos. ASoS adds Jaime and Sam, kills Catelyn. AFfC finally adds Cersei (who has more chapters than anyone else in the book), Brienne (who's second), five Greyjoy chapters and four Dorne chapters. ADwD isn't quite as bad because it's more focused on the preexisting plots, but it still adds Quentyn, Barristan and Connington.

And I think that's what Davros was getting at. As POV characters get killed off, it should feel like the overall plot is progressing. Instead it's typically an opportunity to get page time for a new subplot, which stalls the overall plot because now we have another thing to get established and then keep up with.

Thanks. That's what I was trying to get at. (It's been over a decade since I listened to the books!)

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

is it out yet?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ChubbyChecker posted:

is it out yet?

I’m printing it right now, should be in stores next week

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Guy A. Person posted:

I’m printing it right now, should be in stores next week

ah, finally

i wonder if grrm has the stones to end it in another making GBS threads scene

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

ChubbyChecker posted:

ah, finally

i wonder if grrm has the stones to end it in another making GBS threads scene

The last page is a Taco Bell coupon so you can play along at home.

Failbird
Mar 19, 2009

I'm Batman
New sample from Winds of Winter dropped last week:

GRRM posted:

We had peach ice cream at the party, yum yum. Along with homemade apple pie, Papa Hemingway’s favorite hamburgers, corn on the cob, and baked beans. The weather was perfect, and the company was great.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Failbird posted:

New sample from Winds of Winter dropped last week:

:nomnom:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I was just reminded of Winds Of Winter by something and I had to pop in to say hi.

And also to say lol

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
"they gotta be making the release date announcement soon!!!" - me, 12 years ago

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Did the AI ending suck as much as the show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

Did the AI ending suck as much as the show?

I think the AI ending had Dany winning the game of thrones and becoming Queen but it was so shittily written and repetitive I literally could not understand it. And in a weird way, I'm kinda glad GRRM is suing whoever told ChatGPT to write that for them because trying to read any of it was an exercise in self-harm.

Anyone who thinks AI is replacing actual writers any time soon is either an idiot, illiterate, or has the media taste of a cinder block, or probably all three.