Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Low/Moderate priced oven, and the knobs keep breaking from being bumped. The socket that goes around the half moon shaped peg is *plastic*, even though the knob itself is metal. We've jb welded it together, but it's a janky fix. Also hard to clean, our next one will be straight steel I can brillo pad. Canning kettle and pressure canner reflect heat back, and any drips electroplate themselves to the enamel steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

therattle posted:

That's delightful! Mazel tov!

On an unrelated note, are more expensive ovens worth it? We are renovating our kitchen and getting a new oven.

I think it's down to essentially the features and whether they're something you want or would use. I would say if you're buying a new oven it would be kinda silly not to go induction and I suspect that pretty much all of them are convection now. Those are the two big hitters for me, but bakers would be very interested in steam oven tech also which I would guess increases the cost significantly and requires a water hook up (maybe?). I certainly would not spend more on an oven just for the sake of it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I just bought a steam in-wall oven. There's a reservoir you pop out to refill, so no plumbing. So far I've used the steam function to clean the oven, and to roast veggies like corn and beets a couple times. Did a good job at both of those, helps get em tender without drying out, so no foil wrap needed.

Wife is the baker and each loaf is big enough of a time investment that she hasn't tried steam bake, since her usual method of Dutch ovens in the oven - lid on 15 minutes then lid off - seems to work well enough that experimenting isn't worth it to her :shrug:

I'd still buy it again if I had the choice and the same budget. This'un https://www.us-appliance.com/wses4728f.html

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

I think it's down to essentially the features and whether they're something you want or would use.

I splurged on a dual fuel oven when I redid my kitchen, and it was worth the cost. Electric is mostly nicer for an oven, and I prefer a gas cooktop. Only problem is I'm out in the sticks with no natural gas service, so I have propane. Seems like it shouldn't be an issue, because propane is more energy dense and the cooktops pretty much all come with a propane conversion kit (different jets and a regulator adjustment). Problem is, my big burner would put out 22k BTU with natural gas, but only does 16.5 with propane :(. I'm guessing the burners themselves are designed with airflow optimized for natural gas or something.

I don't know if that's an issue with all brands, or if I'll just have to shop more carefully next time. It seems like there would be a market for cooktops designed to run just as well on propane, even if it's a few hundred bucks for a separate propane burner kit or whatever. I guess whoever designs appliances assumes rural people are just a buncha country bumpkins who don't know how to cook :rant:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

JoshGuitar posted:

I prefer a gas cooktop. Only problem is I'm out in the sticks with no natural gas service, so I have propane.

Induction is the answer, I used to prefer a gas hob, I’m now like an induction evangelist, they’re really good. Not quite as good as gas, but so close as to make no difference for most applications and about a million times easier to clean.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Scientastic posted:

Induction is the answer, I used to prefer a gas hob, I’m now like an induction evangelist, they’re really good. Not quite as good as gas, but so close as to make no difference for most applications and about a million times easier to clean.

But how do you char your poblanos?

mystes
May 31, 2006

JoshGuitar posted:

Blowtorch?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Yeah, we’re getting induction. The idea now of burning fossil fuel in your home feels kinda nuts to me now.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

JoshGuitar posted:

On the comal, which is on the induction hob.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah. Induction is fantastic, and also safer and more environmentally friendly

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
What's cooking with a wok like on an induction?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fall Dog posted:

What's cooking with a wok like on an induction?

I would think impossible and if Wok Hei is a big part of your life you'd just have a portable huge BTU propane powered stove for woks with a round bottomed wok etc.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Kenji says to use a hand blow torch while tossing in a wok so it might not be a lost cause.

https://youtu.be/hcGRskPjQcU?si=R0w7-TVtu29H-bR9

Found this article where he specifically says you can use the torch method to make up for the wok hei lost due to induction:
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/01/j-kenji-lopez-alt-induction-gas-stove-electric-coil/672897/

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
The wedding was amazing. I met a bunch of new friends, old friends, and everyone in between. Introduced everyone to the boyfriend, who was universally loved. The ceremony was beautiful, and we had to move everything indoors due to the rain. Apparently if you're making a gluten free cheesecake, and can't find the gluten free graham crackers, making a gluten free pretzel crust is a delicious option instead. Also, if you hand me a 5+ gallon soup pot, I will legit make enough soup to fill it almost to the brim, which is freaking weird, because we bought all the stuff, and it all fit perfectly.

GOD DAMNIT. Wrought, I forgot to snip the goddamned chives on top of the loving soup. FAIL.

Anyway. We all had an extremely lovely time, and it was great to see two goons in love get their union in front of the people they love best.

Made a thread about the spices I took with me:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042660

Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

92723_2
Sep 27, 2023
all the menu's got hosed at the top 10%'s resturants lol

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
shove it up your rear end, insane rereg guy

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
bsky-social-calyo-aqxiv

bsky-social-zurbg-xvwq6

bsky-social-a34xi-w574u

bsky-social-5jvsa-icrok

bsky-social-rifh7-b6qdg

Have fun, kittens.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Winrar CD keys? :w00t:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

bloody ghost titty posted:

bsky-social-5jvsa-icrok

I don't do anything of the sort, you take that back

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Another great GF cheesecake crust can be made with walnuts, butter, sugar. I have the recipe somewhere at home, but you parbake in the spring form after blitzing ingredients to a sand texture, it's like a giant walnut cookie. Calories best not contemplated.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Arkhamina posted:

Another great GF cheesecake crust can be made with walnuts, butter, sugar. I have the recipe somewhere at home, but you parbake in the spring form after blitzing ingredients to a sand texture, it's like a giant walnut cookie. Calories best not contemplated.

Oh my God. Cheesecake is my son’s best cake (he loving loves cheese, and cake) and were in France in August in an area renowned for its walnuts and brought back a whole load with us. Do you have a recipe? (Intended, and still do intend to make walnuts in honey for people, but haven’t got round to it.)

One of the local delicacies is a cake made with about 20% walnut flower, which was really really good.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I'll dig it out when I get home! A friend made it for me a decade+ ago, and printed the recipe on an old rear end printer, in like 24pt font. I have a stack of printed recipes I really need to bind in a photo album or something. I am not a clean cook, so it's semi translucent from butter.

That friend passed from Covid, it always reminds me of him... crazy generous weirdo who I met through Eve who stalked my address from my username. I had said 'email me if you want the (Bigass Goonp) party address, but he Eve-mailed me instead. Since he didn't hear back he got to sleuthing, and showed up with *24* pounds of potato salad. Which considering we had about 50 goons went well. For another Goonp he brought 20lbs of marinated chicken. Became a regular for our weekly board games, and rolled in with cheesecakes, treats. I miss him :smith:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

Winrar CD keys? :w00t:

Christ we are old, huh

Scientastic posted:

I don't do anything of the sort, you take that back

Prove it, coward

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kewpie Mayo is sold in regular rear end US grocery stores now. :cool: grabbed a bottle at target the other day.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

Kewpie Mayo is sold in regular rear end US grocery stores now. :cool: grabbed a bottle at target the other day.

There’s also a big bottle version at Costco for cheap but the downside is that the spout is also bigger. Who thought that was a good idea? A massive part of the joy of Kewpie is making pencil thin drizzle lines

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Steve Yun posted:

There’s also a big bottle version at Costco for cheap but the downside is that the spout is also bigger. Who thought that was a good idea? A massive part of the joy of Kewpie is making pencil thin drizzle lines

The top where the mayo comes out should be the same size, and the tiny bottles actually have the same opening, under the cap. So save a cap from a small bottle to toss on a honker.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I will continue to scream “Make your own mayo!” (normal and kewpie) into the void forever. It takes 30 seconds with an immersion blender or food processor, and is so superior to store bought that it is astonishing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there any health concerns with making your own mayo? That’s a lotta raw eggs. I’m always sketchy about making raw egg stuff at home.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Is there any health concerns with making your own mayo? That’s a lotta raw eggs. I’m always sketchy about making raw egg stuff at home.

That's cooking tbh you're always going to have to be thinking about that stuff no?

e: tbh I hate mayo tho so not my problem why don't you mayo enjoyers eat some raw eggs or some poo poo

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Last I checked, and I am open to being corrected, salmonella only shows up in one out of every 50,000 eggs now. As long as your eggs are fresh, they should probably be fine

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Last I checked, and I am open to being corrected, salmonella only shows up in one out of every 50,000 eggs now. As long as your eggs are fresh, they should probably be fine

And it’s primarily a US thing, since we scrub the poo poo out of the eggs on their way to market. Get good eggs, no weird poops.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can buy pasteurized eggs or DIY pasteurize at home with sous vide

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

I should do this more often

In fact, I wonder if they’d store longer if I sous vided them in shell

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

So is the 40-140-4 danger zone just "close enough mnemonic" that should really be 40-130-4? Or they added 10 degrees for a factor of safety?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
140° has a lot of room for error. 130° doesn’t

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

BrianBoitano posted:

So is the 40-140-4 danger zone just "close enough mnemonic" that should really be 40-130-4? Or they added 10 degrees for a factor of safety?
The thing you're worried about isn't the endpoints so much as the area under the curve, and the assumption here is that the shape of the curve is going to look like meat cooking in an oven (or something else that's using air as its medium for heat transfer).

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My advice to you is the same advice I give to everyone. Get chickens.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Steve Yun posted:

I should do this more often

In fact, I wonder if they’d store longer if I sous vided them in shell

Doubtful. Cooking eggs destroys the protective qualities of the shell which is why raw eggs have substantially longer shelf life than cooked eggs.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Scientastic posted:

My advice to you is the same advice I give to everyone. Get chickens.

I am drowning in eggs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Enfys posted:

I am drowning in eggs

When I was a lad I ate four dozen eggs
Every morning to help me get large
And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs
So I'm roughly the size of a barge