Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

12 hour flight had MoS and BvS theatrical on the inflight entertainment. Good times.

Only Josstice League though, so will be rewatching ZSJL very soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Watching MoS, BvS UE, Wonder Woman, and ZSJL in consecutive order is the optimum DCEU experience.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Necrothatcher posted:

12 hour flight had MoS and BvS theatrical on the inflight entertainment. Good times.

Only Josstice League though, so will be rewatching ZSJL very soon.

I've only watched ZSJL once, and it was maybe the day after it released on HBO Max. I really owe it another go.

Then again, I haven't watched Man of Steel or BvS UE since 2021, either, so I have a bit of an idea of what I'll be doing tomorrow.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

teagone posted:

Watching MoS, BvS UE, Wonder Woman, and ZSJL in consecutive order is the optimum DCEU experience.
"Forgetting someone?"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Aquaman is supplementary material imo. It's fine, but not required viewing for the optimal DCEU experience. MoS/BvS UE/WW/ZSJL all share narrative threads that I personally find much more meaningful.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/snyderarchive/status/1705705761291039065?s=46&t=yPIpoeD_1zo6-P4nl9Hh1g

In case there was any doubt about Zacks views on trans people

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I can't believe Zack wants to experience the feelings and pain of trans people. How selfish can he get?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zack Snyder should advance to a higher level of Zachary already

A Hizack if you will

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I can't believe Zack Snyder supports Zeon.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

teagone posted:

Aquaman is supplementary material imo. It's fine, but not required viewing for the optimal DCEU experience. MoS/BvS UE/WW/ZSJL all share narrative threads that I personally find much more meaningful.
Aquaman is great and it provides a hopeful look at the future post ZSJL

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Schwarzwald posted:

I can't believe Zack Snyder supports Zeon.

It's worse - he supports the Titans

Possibly even child soldiers in their ranks

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Assepoester posted:

Aquaman is great and it provides a hopeful look at the future post ZSJL

Unfortunately that is a future that does not exist, my friend. Embrace our future that cultivates Rebel Moon instead.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

checkplease posted:

Just read this part from Birthright writer Mark Waid on his review of man of steel.

The rest of his review complains about Superman not saving enough people and Superman snapping necks, but this was a good read of pa Kent.

“And I think you’d be surprised to find that I loved everything about Jonathan Kent. I loved his protectiveness, even when it made him sound like an rear end in a top hat. (“Maybe.”) And I loved, loved, loved that scene where Clark *didn’t* save him, because Goyer did something magical–he took two moments that, individually, I would have hated and he welded them together into something amazing. Out of context, I would have hated that Clark said “You’re not my real dad,” or whatever he says right before the tornado. And out of context, I would have *loathed* that Clark stood by frozen with helplessness as the tornado killed Jonathan. But the reason that beat worked is *because* Clark had just said “You’re not my dad,” the last real words he said to Pa. Tearful Clark choosing to go against his every instinct in that last second because he had to show his father he trusted him after all, because he had to show Pa that Pa could trust *him* and that Clark *had* learned, Clark *did* love him–that worked for me, hugely. It was a very brave story choice, but it worked. It worked largely on the shoulders of Cavill, who sold it. It worked as a tragic rite of passage. I kinda wish I’d written that scene.”

My favourite bit of that scene: as he watches Jonathan die, Clark yells out "Dad!"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

teagone posted:

Unfortunately that is a future that does not exist, my friend. Embrace our future that cultivates Rebel Moon instead.
The hilarious after credits scene of ZSJL with Jared Joker shows us that there is still a possible dark future ahead where earth is destroyed and Aquaman is dead.

Aquaman takes place after ZSJL and shows him growing and learning as a character, earning the respect of the merpeople and uniting the seven underwater kingdoms, and showing that as a child of two worlds he has what it takes to unite the surface and the ocean against the looming threat of Darkseid. It gives us faith that perhaps the dark future can be overcome.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

2house2fly posted:

My favourite bit of that scene: as he watches Jonathan die, Clark yells out "Dad!"

(cinemasins ding)

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Assepoester posted:

The hilarious after credits scene of ZSJL with Jared Joker shows us that there is still a possible dark future ahead where earth is destroyed and Aquaman is dead.

Aquaman takes place after ZSJL and shows him growing and learning as a character, earning the respect of the merpeople and uniting the seven underwater kingdoms, and showing that as a child of two worlds he has what it takes to unite the surface and the ocean against the looming threat of Darkseid. It gives us faith that perhaps the dark future can be overcome.

I will never forgive WB for taking away the chance of seeing Justice League meets Mad Max Fury Road. Just you wait, Zaslav. I will strike you down with my Omega Beams...

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

McSpanky posted:

A functional understanding of genre is media literacy and not the same thing as expecting an encyclopedic dissection of a comic book character's publication history.

Certainly, but does TV Tropes have a functional grasp of media literacy? Or at least, better than stuffy film academics?

Sir Kodiak posted:

If you read the quotes above, she didn't claim that critics couldn't understand Harry Potter because of their unfamility with genre fiction or that their analysis is worthless. It was specifically a response to critics praising Harry Potter's originality. And it is absolutely fair to say that, if you don't generally read genre fiction, then you shouldn't be judging whether a piece of genre fiction is original. I remember having a similar conversation about Cormac McCarthy's The Road, which is a good book from a hell of a writer, but was similarly praised for the originality of its genre elements by people who only read literary fiction.

So, in regards to the multiversal Spider-Men, it's not that you have to consume all Spider-Man media in order to comment on them, but if you specifically want to write about, say, the relationship between Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse and the many comic books it draws from, you should probably have read those comic books.

“Genre” isn’t a value category, but neither is it mere classification. I’m sympathetic to writers not receiving their proper credit, and the “ghetto-ization” of their work, but that’s the domain of marketing and how it shapes consumers habits; and it’s there where the writer/consumer relation shapes genre fiction as such. Say what you will about literary fiction snobs, but they don't have the kind of consumer expectations like genre-only fans do. So what are we even talking about when it comes to the originality unfairly bequeathed on Rowling? New tropes?

The question is not about whether one wants to write about the relationship between the multiverse spider-mans movies and the comic books it references, but whether it’s necessary to directly read the references to have a relevant analysis of the films-in-themselves. We don’t have to go too far in the other direction of pretentious film academics to find people too immersed in the content of a sub-genre — people gobble up tons of super hero fiction and become almost entirely detached from the basic "realism" (As Le Guin derisively refers to) of vigilantism as a serious & violent crime. Our lord and savior Snyder is seen as an imbecilic demon for implementing this basic critique in his work, while other directors are praised for staying faithful with U.S. police/military apologia. Shazam! throws a couple mooks robbing a convenience store through a window, and it's a delightful joke that gets the vibes. Snyder has a reformed, "I see the light", Batman killing a few PMCs to save an innocent woman from being burned alive, and everyone loses their poo poo.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 26, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

KVeezy3 posted:

Certainly, but does TV Tropes have a functional grasp of media literacy? Or at least, better than stuffy film academics?

We can't know for sure unless they have a trope about it

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

man i am halfway through a loving warhammer novel and even i'm embarassed to be in the same thread as this post

don't lie there's no loving novels in warhammer. no one ever has sex.

It's just always been amusing to me that warhammer takes so much from trashy, horny sci fi, except the horniness. It's possibly the most sexless universe in fiction.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure posted:

I will never forgive WB for taking away the chance of seeing Justice League meets Mad Max Fury Road. Just you wait, Zaslav. I will strike you down with my Omega Beams...

Who the gently caress did not want to see this? Darkseid wreck poo poo and Mad Max future Batman and crew. JFC.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't, it sounded dumb and was lame in Beavis

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Gatts posted:

Who the gently caress did not want to see this? Darkseid wreck poo poo and Mad Max future Batman and crew. JFC.

Morons

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't, it sounded dumb and was lame in Beavis

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It was as bad as the YouTube ad portion! Mad Max Batman is just stupid to me

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RBA Starblade posted:

It was as bad as the YouTube ad portion! Mad Max Batman is just stupid to me

I am so sorry for whatever is wrong with you

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I would also think that Batman mixed with, say, Homeworld, also sucks

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Bruce continuing to wear the costume in a future where his secret identity doesn't matter anymore and he could switch to literally anything else is one of the most comic book parts of BvS and ZSJL and it owns and is very funny

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like I said, only morons didn't want to see Mad Max JL vs Darkseid

Ghosthotel posted:

Bruce continuing to wear the costume in a future where his secret identity doesn't matter anymore and he could switch to literally anything else is one of the most comic book parts of BvS and ZSJL and it owns and is very funny

This goon gets it :cool::respek::cool:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I knew Snyder understood Batman when it came out that his parents death was filmed in Imax.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ghosthotel posted:

He already has his mad max persona ready to go when the world ends, why the heck wouldn't he

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Finally, I can wear hockey pads now!
- Max Madman

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Imagine watching the Knightmare and Cyborg's flash forward and going "no thanks, that's quite enough"

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
I’m struggling to see how Mad Max Batman is any worse of an idea than any other goofy poo poo he got up to in comics. Like “post apocalyptic Batman” seemed inevitable.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Batman in a world where money is worthless sounds good.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Batman in a world where money is worthless sounds good.

Oh my god that's his version of Superman on a planet with a red sun

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

McCloud posted:

Oh my god that's his version of Superman on a planet with a red sun

Checks out:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Big iron on his hiiiip

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They're a D&D poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Beavis (WB, mostly) released ~10 months after Fury Road (WB, near as dammit, mostly) and would have been in production simultaneously for a longish while.

So you can see the parallel, in the coke-addled minds of Warner execs.

Personally I loved it. Show me something new for once jay eff cee, and it delivered.