Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

McSpankWich posted:

Finished The Hero of Ages. This one was much better than the 2nd book, I think. The ending was solid. I am kind of disappointed that there's no continuation of the series to hear what happens immediately after the events with the world and characters. Does Secret History address this or is it just a retelling of the history which already happened with added bits?

You're at the right place here! Just be mindful that we often enough have new readers in this thread sharing their reactions, so be be ready to see and use a lot of spoiler bars.

As for your question, there's a second series of Mistborn books set about 300 years after the end of Hero of Ages. So you will hear some bits about the fate of various OG characters, but it's not the direct continuation that you hoped for. The series is still quite good, and allomancers with revolvers are a surprisingly fun concept.

For various spoiler reasons, if you're at all interested in reading Mistborn Era 2, you should not read Secret History before finishing Bands of Mourning. If you're really curious, I will be a bit more specific. It is more like a retelling of the history, but it does so much more than just add some more bits. In either case, it doesn't contain any story set after then end of Hero of Ages, so it's not what you're looking for, either.

If you're a Mistborn fan, I can only recommend Era 2. It's not as high stakes/"epic" as the Era 1 books, but still very recognizably Mistborn, and quite fun to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Jorenko posted:

There is a sequel series of 4 books set a few hundred years after HoA. Secret History was released after the third of those and concerns some things that were revealed in that book, although it is largely what you speculate. The first book is The Alloy of Law. You should absolutely read them, they are rad.

Just note that they’re more of a steampunk vibe than the pure fantasy of the first trilogy. Which owns, just a FYI.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

rafikki posted:

Just note that they’re more of a steampunk vibe than the pure fantasy of the first trilogy. Which owns, just a FYI.

More like a western with industrialisation happening along side imo. I won’t let you get away with calling mistborn 2 a steampunk.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

big mean giraffe posted:

BoM is the best 2nd era book and it's not even close

I’d rank it third. It was fine. But I have some major issues with it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah about 6 too many fakeouts, like right in a row at the end there

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Half of Dracula posted:

Finished era 2 myself recently and loved it but ironically wanted another thousand pages on random setting details and day to day the way you get in early stormlight...

agreed. World building is my favorite part about fantasy. Hence why I read fantasy

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Torrannor posted:

Most of us are probably "damaged" by liking Wheel of Time and pages long descriptions of dresses and environments and braid tugging :shrug:

yeah also this. Don't let your 10 year old start reading wheel of time books because you figure the bigger the book the less money you have to spend on your kid! It will ruin their taste in books

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Shallan is a manic pixie dream girl.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

I uh no, not even by the stretchiest of definitions.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

socialsecurity posted:

Maybe he meant ......Syl....... (WoK general, seriously spoiler tag names when describing people jeez)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mordiceius posted:

All right, c'mon outside and let's get this fistfight over with

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

All right, c'mon outside and let's get this fistfight over with

hey now, to be fair, [all stormlight spoilers, kinda] it's certainly possible that the persona of "shallan" is in some sense a dream girl

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
girl, is that an (Shallan spoilers) extra personality in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Mordiceius posted:

For me it wins because it's the first book Wayne is tolerable in, and Steris really comes into her own

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Just want some interlude chapters with the star Lurcher on a Noseball team sucking down Vif tonic being blackmailed to throw the game or an absent minded Soother in a parlor who isn't listening to an obvious worldhopper. How about a bendalloy Ferring who's a food critic for the papers

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

I mean, I'm only barely half way through WoK so I'm sure it changes with her. I know that Shallan eventually has multiple personality disorder or something of the sort. I learned this a long long time ago from a friend of mine who had been pushing me to read the series for a while.

But currently - she's bubbly and quirky and weird and has a unique talent and looks different from many others (red hair) and she's quippy and clever and sarcastic.

Progress through WoK continues to be slow. I've found that I'll often listen to the audiobook a little bit every day for a few days and then often just put it down for a few days or a week. The problem with this slow pacing and focusing so much on world building instead of giving us any sort of compelling actions or narrative is that I don't feel pulled to keeping pace. I'm not left in suspense. There is no "Oh poo poo! I gotta know what happens next!!" because the answer is probably somewhere between "nothing really" and "more world building and people just standing around and talking."

I'm not having a bad time. I'm just having a time. :geno:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mordiceius posted:

I mean, I'm only barely half way through WoK so I'm sure it changes with her. I know that Shallan eventually has multiple personality disorder or something of the sort. I learned this a long long time ago from a friend of mine who had been pushing me to read the series for a while.

But currently - she's bubbly and quirky and weird and has a unique talent and looks different from many others (red hair) and she's quippy and clever and sarcastic.
That is an accurate read on her character so far, but it still doesn't qualify her as a Manic Pixie Dream Girl. The MPDG is characterized solely through her relationship to a (brooding, sensitive, depressed) man, as it is her sole purpose in life to breathe joy back into his bleak existence and teach him to love again and blah blah blah. She's a flat character with no internality. She's pretty and bubbly and she really really likes you in particular for no apparent reason and she wants you to be happy. And if she's got some sort of terminal disease so that you never have to actually confront the reality of what an adult relationship asks of a person and what it'd be like after living with her for a few years, well... bonus.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Leeloo and The Fifth Element are both amazing. All I gotta say since people are digging on MPDGs.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Mordiceius posted:

Progress through WoK continues to be slow. I've found that I'll often listen to the audiobook a little bit every day for a few days and then often just put it down for a few days or a week. The problem with this slow pacing and focusing so much on world building instead of giving us any sort of compelling actions or narrative is that I don't feel pulled to keeping pace. I'm not left in suspense. There is no "Oh poo poo! I gotta know what happens next!!" because the answer is probably somewhere between "nothing really" and "more world building and people just standing around and talking."

I'm not having a bad time. I'm just having a time. :geno:

I'll be honest, I think part of the issue is how long this book is taking you. I know you've been sick, it's not really your fault, but I just think it's putting a damper on your progress and excitement.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

pik_d posted:

I'll be honest, I think part of the issue is how long this book is taking you. I know you've been sick, it's not really your fault, but I just think it's putting a damper on your progress and excitement.

That's absolutely fair. It's also that I have probably an hour or so max I can realistically dedicate to a book with my current schedule. Maybe it would go faster if I had the physical book in my hands, but this audio book is 45 hours long.

I've crested the half way point and I feel like stuff is just about to start happening. The "side carry" happened and Kaladin is just about to be hit by the high storm. But this book is just long. At this much time spent, you're in the final moments of The Final Empire.

I've heard it repeated that "Sanderson writes each Stormlight Archive book as if it is a trilogy within a single book" and I don't know if that just means in length or in story structure but, for WoK at least, I feel like it can't possibly be the latter.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Half of Dracula posted:

Finished era 2 myself recently and loved it but ironically wanted another thousand pages on random setting details and day to day the way you get in early stormlight...

Absolutely this. I had a lot of fun with era 2 but the setting feels really hollow because it's only elaborated on at really plot critical points, or with random throwaways meant to put your mind on turn-of-the-century aesthetics.

By contrast Roshar feels like a full, complex, and living world and I can picture in my head what life looks like for all sorts of people there, just based on what the book fills us in on. It doesn't need a crutch of being heavily based on recent real-world history and technology. It's got it's own biology in plant and animal life, its own weather, it's own geology and politics and religions and races and languages and cities and all those things are fully realized and well explored.

And that's why The Way of Kings is a loving awesome book and the best intro to the series possible. :colbert:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I feel similarly too about the first Wheel of Time book which is a lot of peoples least favorite book, because it's more like lord of the rings. But I think that first book really helps ground the rest of the series despite the other books being so different. It put things into the right perspective somehow, it's always partly in my mind affecting how I see the rest of the books.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Im rereading all the slow bits in WoR and I can't be stopped

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Half of Dracula posted:

Im rereading all the slow bits in WoR and I can't be stopped

What would you say are the slow bits?

A general question to others, too. Is there anything you skip in re reads?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Kaladin flashbacks.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't make those distinctions too much myself but I suppose anything that's more characters researching/slowly discovering things that are later common knowledge, or chapters traveling towards their later positions without something notable happening. That's where the neat character moments and secret foreshadowing is though...

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

socialsecurity posted:

Kaladin flashbacks.

Honestly, the only flashbacks I've liked were Dalinar's.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Honestly, the only flashbacks I've liked were Dalinar's.

A lot of the flashbacks in Way of Kings start feeling like LOST season three flashbacks.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

The only flashbacks I didn’t like were RoW’s.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
I'm meandering my way through Words of Radiance audiobook again. It's fun seeing some foreshadowing, but since I'm going slowlyI have an impatient very-spoilery question for something I forgot:

If you have not finished WOR, do not read!

Can anyone refresh my memory on what the deal is with the glowing box? I remember Shallan's whole deal with killing her mom with a shardblade and then later her father, but what's the deal with the glowing box that she sees after? She mentions something about a soul, but I just don't recall and don't want to wait a bunch of hours to remember this small bit since I already know the big reveal.

Thanks!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

road potato posted:

I'm meandering my way through Words of Radiance audiobook again. It's fun seeing some foreshadowing, but since I'm going slowlyI have an impatient very-spoilery question for something I forgot:

Can anyone refresh my memory on what the deal is with the glowing box? I remember Shallan's whole deal with killing her mom with a shardblade and then later her father, but what's the deal with the glowing box that she sees after? She mentions something about a soul, but I just don't recall and don't want to wait a bunch of hours to remember this small bit since I already know the big reveal.

Thanks!

all stormlight spoilers [seriously!] she drops Testament after killing her mom and her dad puts it in the box, then she breaks her bond and it's a dead blade and she represses the memory and just remembers the box or whatever

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 30, 2023

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

road potato posted:

Thanks!

As someone who just finished WoR, Pattern, in Shardblade form, was put in the box. Not that Pattern could really be contained there. I still don't understand why the box was glowing. I am curious if the glowing part is explained later and is really a spoiler for books I haven't read.

Typing this up made me wonder (no one confirm this please) if the glowing had to do with Shallan's Memory realm piercing powers, which are almost certainly an extension of her specific Radiant-ness.

Edit: Well now I just want to click on eke out's spoiler harder.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 30, 2023

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
eke out's spoiler comes from info we got in the latter half of Rhythm of War, so... don't klick it if you haven't finished that book!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Still all stormlight/cosmere spoilers i have been assuming there is a Seon in there

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 30, 2023

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

eke out posted:

all stormlight spoilers [seriously!] she drops Testament after killing her mom and her dad puts it in the box, then she breaks her bond and it's a dead blade and she represses the memory and just remembers the box or whatever
Her memories of breaking the oath are fragmented, but it seems like she yells the words directly at Testament at least a little bit after her mom has died. In any case, there's no reason why Testament would have stayed in the box rather than return to Shallan, so the box ought to be empty.

Honestly her dad locking it up doesn't make much sense, since even dead blades poof away to mist, but maybe since it didn't have a gemstone he assumed it was unbonded and Shallan just got her hands on it somehow?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Or it may just be that he was freaking out about his wife trying to murder his daughter and his daughter pulling out a shard blade from somewhere to kill her own mother with, and just kind of threw it in there without thinking about it that much

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

[all stormlight] it's tough because we're still missing too many pieces about what actually happened. i fully expect stormlight 5 to conclude the "what the gently caress is going on with shallan's past" plotline (and, at this point, i feel like the evidence that there's some Herald poo poo going on is pretty good). probably when we get some of those pieces, things'll make more sense

i was listening to that stormlight podcast linked here and they're on Oathbringer and covered a chapter i'd forgotten early on where Pattern's like "look, it's okay, just kill me, it's not a big deal, the Cryptics'll send you another spren anyways" and it did set those alarm bells off. something beyond just a natural talent for lying and self-deception makes her incredibly important to them that we still don't know about, to the point that Pattern seems to honestly believe she could kill another of them and they'd still keep sacrificing more cryptics (and would be clearly resolved if her mom is Chana)

eke out fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 30, 2023

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Besides Shallan stuff, I really just wanna know (Stormlight spoilers) how Honor died. Nobody ever asks Odium or whoever how it all went down. This massive fact about Honor being dead is just dropped and he was apparently insane by the end and no details about any of it are ever given.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

NikkolasKing posted:

Besides Shallan stuff, I really just wanna know (Stormlight spoilers) how Honor died. Nobody ever asks Odium or whoever how it all went down. This massive fact about Honor being dead is just dropped and he was apparently insane by the end and no details about any of it are ever given.

My guess is the creation of the Unmade was involved, as my theory is they're big chunks of Honor that were 'corrupted' to Odiums investiture like how we saw an attempt to Unmake the Sibling

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

big mean giraffe posted:

My guess is the creation of the Unmade was involved, as my theory is they're big chunks of Honor that were 'corrupted' to Odiums investiture like how we saw an attempt to Unmake the Sibling

we've heard a lot about how Shards are uniquely vulnerable if they break agreements and how Honor isn't the shard of being good but the shard of Making Contracts -- my gut feeling is he broke his word in some way that weakened himself for a strike