Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The camo looks great, but tell me more about that M3 in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Ensign Expendable posted:

The camo looks great, but tell me more about that M3 in the background.

That's the Tamiya M3 Stuart. Like pretty much any Tamiya kit it's great. I believe its a new tooling from 2018. I always work on 2 models at once that way when one has paint drying I can work on the other one.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Charliegrs posted:

I finally got the NATO tri tone camo down on the Abrams.

I did it freehand with the airbrush. I know it's not "accurate" like that since the real thing has hard lines for the camo and an airbrush makes them look soft. But I was struggling trying to mask it I tried the blue tack method but it just wouldn't stick so I said the hell with it and just freehanded it using some pics online for reference. By the way holy crap I thought it would be easy to find reference diagrams for the camo online but it was incredibly difficult. I was trying to find some top, front,back sides etc type pics but all I could find was a very low res diagram. Are there any good websites to find these kinds of diagrams? I'm planning on doing a Bradley next and I haven't decided if I want to do tri tone or desert camo. I think desert is kind of boring.

Silly putty is the superior hard edge masking medium. Seriously. Don't buy the hobby-aimed masking putties at 10x the cost. They're usually just dyed silly putty that's of a slightly thicker consistency. I ordered 2 packages (eggs) of silly putty a couple years ago and it is far and away one of the most valuable tools on the bench.

The Abrams looks great, BTW.

Edit: I've used it on pretty much every build I've ever done, but here is a good example of what can be achieved with venerable, trusty, old silly putty.

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 18, 2023

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

For camo is there an easy way to get the hard lines between color shapes like the French camo below? I can imagine the *easiest* way is to paint the hull dark grey or black, and then use silly putty snakes to make the lines for the camo shapes and then carefully apply each color one at a time?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I bought a paint marker for my French camo.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

For camo is there an easy way to get the hard lines between color shapes like the French camo below? I can imagine the *easiest* way is to paint the hull dark grey or black, and then use silly putty snakes to make the lines for the camo shapes and then carefully apply each color one at a time?

I'm not brave enough to try this on a 1/72nd, but for larger models, just spray the color field outlines close to the model, then do the squiggly dark lines with a brush freehand. You'll cover the blend with the freehand, and it doesn't matter if you've got shaky hands. Easy as, no masking needed.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbHEwbqpI4Q&t=680s

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I bought one of the new Miniart T-34/85 kits (37091) and it arrived today, I opened the box to take a look and based on the number of frames I'm concerned that either they have sent me enough parts for 10 tanks, or I have made a grave miscalculation :shepface:

Charliegrs posted:

I always work on 2 models at once that way when one has paint drying I can work on the other one.

Yes, only two at once is what I also do, definitely only two :dumb:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 19, 2023

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Yup, that sounds like MiniArt. Look on the bright side, at least it's not a full interior kit!

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Charliegrs posted:

I did it freehand with the airbrush. I know it's not "accurate" like that since the real thing has hard lines for the camo and an airbrush makes them look soft. But I was struggling trying to mask it I tried the blue tack method but it just wouldn't stick so I said the hell with it and just freehanded it using some pics online for reference. By the way holy crap I thought it would be easy to find reference diagrams for the camo online but it was incredibly difficult. I was trying to find some top, front,back sides etc type pics but all I could find was a very low res diagram. Are there any good websites to find these kinds of diagrams? I'm planning on doing a Bradley next and I haven't decided if I want to do tri tone or desert camo. I think desert is kind of boring.

That looks great! Having recently done a NATO-camo M1A2 with hard camo lines, I have to say I much prefer the soft lines. It's much more aesthetically pleasing, and as someone who is absolutely not an expert on how/why camo works I would think soft edges would be more effective anyway.

A quick search suggests there isn't much out there for Bradley camo aside from IRL images. There's a German site selling a camo mask kit for the Bradley but the item description says it's for a Jagdpanzer IV/70 so that's a roll of the dice. You might make a decently interesting desert camo by freehanding some pre-shading and then doing a light coat of a light desert color.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 19, 2023

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Yup, that sounds like MiniArt. Look on the bright side, at least it's not a full interior kit!

Their FT-17 has an engine with literally like two dozen parts. It's obnoxious.

Vorenus posted:

That looks great! Having recently done a NATO-camo M1A2 with hard camo lines, I have to say I much prefer the soft lines. It's much more aesthetically pleasing, and as someone who is absolutely not an expert on how/why camo works I would think soft edges would be more effective anyway.

A quick search suggests there isn't much out there for Bradley camo aside from IRL images. There's a German site selling a camo mask kit for the Bradley but the item description says it's for a Jagdpanzer IV/70 so that's a roll of the dice. You might make a decently interesting desert camo by freehanding some pre-shading and then doing a light coat of a light desert color.

One of the goals of that kind of camouflage is to break up the outline. That only works if there's competing detail to distract your eye from the boundary between tank and not-tank.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 19, 2023

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Their FT-17 has an engine with literally like two dozen parts. It's obnoxious.

One of the goals of that kind of camouflage is to break up the outline. That only works if there's competing detail to distract your eye from the boundary between tank and not-tank.

I have the Meng Renault FT in my stash, it mercifully omits the engine.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I have the Meng Renault FT in my stash, it mercifully omits the engine.

Ah, see, if you simply by both variants, you get one with a complete engine and one with the scenic base. Simple!

I like French tanks. :q:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I built the scenic base for a separate project. Haven't built the main tank yet, I might paint it as something obscure like a Spanish Civil War tank.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I was going to do one of my Flyhawk FTs in SCW colors, myself. God help me, I think those are going to be more complex than any of the 1/35ths.

Quick mental inventory:

1/35 Meng FT riveted turret
1/35 Meng FT cast turret
1/35 Tamiya Char B1 Bis
1/35 Tamiya Somua
1/35 ICM FCM-36
1/35 Meng Char 2C
1/35 Tamiya R-35
1/35 Asuka Sherman III plus correct track kit and decals to make Valserine.
1/72 S-model H-35 x2 (done)
1/72 S-model Somua x2
1/72 S-model R-35 x2
1/72 Flyhawk FT x2
Meng egg-scale Char B1 and Somua

So I've got Backtober set out for me, by finally building things I was too much of a coward to paint before.

I know there's a couple of garbage Bronco kits out there, but am I missing anything good?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Are those your stash kits or your shelf-of-doom kits?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I wish. That all doesn't even occupy a whole shelf in the backlog stand.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

grassy gnoll posted:

I like French tanks. :q:

Big same. They're so beautifully awful.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Anyone have any recommendations for 1/32 scale military figures, specifically NATO or aligned militaries of the Cold War to the present day? Pretty firm on the scale, what I am looking for are miniatures of people mostly standing or sitting around, so vehicle riders are ok too. I am working on a small diorama and need to add a few people to it.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
As a die hard 1/32 fan, I can say you'll find it difficult to locate much in the way of figures outside of pilots/air crew. Black Dog resin, Reedoak figures, and ICM are some halfway decent candidates. There are also some figure sets on shapeways, but I've only used their 1/350 sets, so I can't speak to their detail at large scale. If you find any good manufacturers for figures in that scale in your travels, share the wealth eh?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Chuck_D posted:

As a die hard 1/32 fan, I can say you'll find it difficult to locate much in the way of figures outside of pilots/air crew. Black Dog resin, Reedoak figures, and ICM are some halfway decent candidates. There are also some figure sets on shapeways, but I've only used their 1/350 sets, so I can't speak to their detail at large scale. If you find any good manufacturers for figures in that scale in your travels, share the wealth eh?

Thank you, and I shall-- I do intend to pick up some aircrew at that scale for the diorama too. I have come across ekcastings.com, which is Ukrainian (I think) and has a pretty huge range from ancients to more modern figures (and shockingly affordable, a single figure works out to less than $10 CAD) but the website is entirely in Ukrainian and I have not worked out how to get them to ship to Canada (yet).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Due to some upcoming life events I'm cleaning out some ancillary things, including most of my modeling stuff. Does anyone want a new Avia B.534 model? It is the Eduard Profipack series, so it includes photoetching for cockpit parts and some other items. It seems to be a quite well detailed kit, and everything is still sealed up. I've just opened it up to check contents and condition and everything looks great. It's a super cool little plane and I'm disappointed I won't be able to put it together.

If you're interested, shoot me a PM with your address. I only ask that you actually put it together and send me some nice pictures and that you do a good job with the wood-grain prop.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 23, 2023

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I got a bit of a head start on Backlogtoberfest. After finishing the A-20 a few weeks ago, I didn't want to start anything new knowing full well that I was going to lean into my shelf of doom on Oct 1. So, instead, I just started on my shelf of doom. It's not like I'll run out of stuff on the shelf before the end of the year.

Anyway, this thing (Tamiya A6M2b Zero, 1/32 scale, naturally) has been sitting on my self for about 2-3- years. I did the cockpit and fuselage, then it just sat and sat and sat. Every time I'd get it off the shelf, I'd look at those dumb little workable gear legs and gear doors and just nope it right back onto the shelf. This time, inspired by our pending group build, I swore I would finish it. It's frustrating... If I'd actually just sat down and worked on it (as I did now), it really only needed about 12hrs of work to finish. I bitched about it longer than it took to actually wrap it up. And, surprisingly (since I was kinda forcing myself through it), it turned out really well.

This represents a No. 3 Kokutai ship as photographed at Lakunai Airdrome in Rabaul around October of 1942, so it fits in nicely with my ongoing SW Pac theme.

The raw gallery is here if you feel like looking at fuckoff huge pictures: https://postimg.cc/gallery/tpQH00g

Edit: Oh, and backlog or no, I pitched the Revell P-51 I was bitching about earlier. Life's too short to build lovely kits and it's a loving pile of trash.

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 24, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Chuck_D posted:

Edit: Oh, and backlog or no, I pitched the Revell P-51 I was bitching about earlier. Life's too short to build lovely kits and it's a loving pile of trash.

My headcanon is that that really nicely done Zero can claim the P-51 as a victory.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Relevant to the thread title (starts at 10:33)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAcRW_gAlqY&t=633s

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

GotLag posted:

Relevant to the thread title (starts at 10:33)

I love that channel, but yeah, he might not be doing it FOR the inhalants but they're a nice bonus for him.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Anyone have a good recommend for a brand when it comes to cotton swabs for modeling use? I'm currently using make-up swabs from my local drug store (ebelin is the brand) since they have useful shapes on both ends. However I find that they fuzz out real quickly and can leave strands of cotton on my pieces while cleaning panel lines and I go through a fair number of them since the thinner makes the cotton tip loose up and fall off. I think there's stuff made for the modeling market but I also expect that to come at an increased price so I figured it can't hurt to ask first.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I have some Tamiya swabs from their airbrush cleaning kit. The lack of fuzz is great but they're also very very small in diameter.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Vorenus posted:

I have some Tamiya swabs from their airbrush cleaning kit. The lack of fuzz is great but they're also very very small in diameter.

Tamiya makes a couple different sizes of them but yeah I think most are smaller than regular store brand cotton buds.

Another option are the cotton buds used for cleaning guns. They tend to be tighter and less fuzzy and come in a variety of sizes.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Hmm I guess I'll check out the Tamiya swabs since they're not as expensive as I expected. On to the next question then :v:

What's a good type of light to get for your workbench? I have ample lighting available for most tasks but when it comes to painting I've noticed some issues with glare/reflection on my parts which makes it rather hard to see the true look of the surface. This also gets compounded when it's later in the day and there is less natural light in my attic flat or when I'm working pieces that have been gloss coated.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

Hmm I guess I'll check out the Tamiya swabs since they're not as expensive as I expected. On to the next question then :v:

What's a good type of light to get for your workbench? I have ample lighting available for most tasks but when it comes to painting I've noticed some issues with glare/reflection on my parts which makes it rather hard to see the true look of the surface. This also gets compounded when it's later in the day and there is less natural light in my attic flat or when I'm working pieces that have been gloss coated.

I asked the same question on this forum a few years ago and almost everyone recommended me the Neatfi XL LED lamp so I got one and I am very pleased with it. It has like 4 brightness settings and the bright side setting is very bright indeed. It's not the cheapest lamp in the world but it's not the most expensive either
Neatfi XL 2,200 Lumens LED Task Lamp, 24W Super Bright Desk Lamp, 117 Pcs SMD LED, 4 Level Brightness, Dimmable, Task LED Light for Home, Office, Workbench (Non-CCT, White) https://a.co/d/9TXxYpG

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Anyone try using fishing line for antennas? Fishing line is pretty stiff even with some of the lighter lines like 4 pound test. Im not sure how well it would hold paint though. Im talking about monofilament by the way.

What about guitar strings?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I've heard of people using any of the above with varying degrees of success. Theoretically they should all work fine, but practice will be the deciding factor over material. I prefer EZ-line for aerial antenna wires.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
For antennas I just use a length of hobby brass wire. Drill a hole in the antenna base, slip the wire through. Ever so slightly taper the tip of the wire with sander/dremel if that particular antenna style has a taper to it. Great for holding a bend to, if you want to display the model in motion, or it's huge long whip antenna that bends down the length of the vehicle.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
The decals on these CIPS panels were a pain in the rear end but I'm glad they're done

Also I guess the Abrams isn't symmetrical on each side?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

For antennas I just use a length of hobby brass wire. Drill a hole in the antenna base, slip the wire through. Ever so slightly taper the tip of the wire with sander/dremel if that particular antenna style has a taper to it. Great for holding a bend to, if you want to display the model in motion, or it's huge long whip antenna that bends down the length of the vehicle.

My brain went to the wires that run from a blade antenna back to a tail surface on a plane. For vertical or whip antennas, yeah, brass/copper wire is perfect.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I just use stretched sprue, 'cause I'm too lazy to fiddle with CA on a tiny tiny floppy part.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Scale modeling E/N content:

I mentioned it upthread, but I went outside of my usual comfort zone and started to work on both a Tamiya Toyota AA and the Tamiya Pink Panther Rover.

I don't have any particular love for either of those vehicles, other than thinking they're a little weird and cool.

I got about 75% done with both, then realized yesterday that they've been sitting untouched since labor day weekend, and also realized that I just kind of stalled out because I don't really love the subject matter for either one.

So boxed them both back up and put them in my stash to maybe finish over the winter while I'm waiting for something else to dry. Are they going to be orphaned forever?

In the meantime, going to start in on another tank.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Can relate.

Don't forget the Backlogtoberfest group build starts this weekend if you're looking for some forced motivation. :)

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

What all will we need to provide to kick things off, other than a photo of the doom-shelf? I've got plenty to do, and there are literally not enough hours before the end of the year for me to empty out my backlog.