Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
When I was a kid, we had a Labrador Retriever named Newton, who loved one of my brother's friends. Typically said friend would show up, wrestle with Newton a bit, then go with my brother into the garage where they'd hang out for a few hours. Newton was not allowed in the garage, so he'd wait by the door, panting excitedly, and standing on the newspaper that my mom put down to catch all the drool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

My previous Dane barely drooled. Her friend (half sister), well, you needed an diving suit if you took a treat out.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Last night I was filling my labrador's bowl up for dinner and I kept thinking I'd dropped something on my foot, until I realised it was the drip of her slobber landing on me.

She's been away for the last few weeks to be bred and I think she's missed me because she just forced her way into lying completely on my lap. She's already 35 kilos before pregnancy weight!!

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 24, 2023

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Creature posted:

Thanks for the advice all :) I'll take a look at those links.

We have also considered rescues, however we're leaning towards a puppy as (like Kaiser Schnitzel posted) we like the idea of raising it, taking ownership of its behaviours/habits/weirdnesses, and watching as it develops into its own little personality.

Our apartment is decently sized, and in a few months we'll actually have an entire room which we'll be able to use as its 'safe' space, free of chewable wires and rugs and such. The area around us is very dog-friendly, with plenty of grassy areas and forests to explore.

We both work from home, which is one of the main reasons why we think a puppy is a better option - we'll actually be around to train it.

Edit: also, the rescue dog situation here is fairly limited - basically ‘emotional/behavioural issues’ or ‘stray from Eastern Europe’.

If you decide to go this route I strongly advise you to pick a local training school with a puppy class and a follow up class (the school we go to calls it Foundations). This is usually a once a week class at night where they train both of you. We didn't get to take Pochi to puppy class since she was 6 months when we got her, but all her other classes have helped her so much. And they are really cheap when it comes to pet stuff.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Petting and handling Gabriel this morning, I realized his left front leg has/had a really obvious very bad break that didn't heal well, there's a huge and pretty sharp discontinuity in the bone above his dewclaw. Little dude was dealt a pretty lovely hand in his early life :smith:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Brisket is not a fan of the new baby, and keeps barking under his breath when she makes a sound.
It doesn't help that while at my dad's something happened and he's all backed up and hasn't been able to poop all morning

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

MadDogMike posted:

bully stick

I would be very wary of these and give them sparingly, they are awful for a dogs teeth.

Ask me about spending nearly 6k in the past year having broken teeth pulled, I'm sure that's not the ONLY contributing factor but my wife was giving him multiple a week even with my protests and now we're paying for it; he actually just broke another tooth a few days ago so that's probably going to be another 2k down the drain.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My vet said only give the dog something that you can indent with your fingernail.

She’s does dog dental stuff on the side so :shrug:

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Errrr what? I just spent a fortune on bully sticks as my pup loves them and it keeps her occupied for half an hour.

She's been having one a day for awhile now. I've never heard of this before though. That sucks.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MarcusSA posted:

My vet said only give the dog something that you can indent with your fingernail.

She’s does dog dental stuff on the side so :shrug:

I can cut a stick with my thumb

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I've had no trouble with bully sticks over the years.

Ragnar Gunvald, talk to your vet. They'll know better than one of us.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
if Torgal hears the word "fruit", drool starts pouring down the sides of his canines. boy loves his watermelon

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I just learned my girl loves bell peppers.

Big crunches :)

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've had no trouble with bully sticks over the years.

Ragnar Gunvald, talk to your vet. They'll know better than one of us.

It's going to be very different advice in the UK to the US anyway, I've no intention of really changing anything at this point but I'm just very surprised by what I read.

At the moment I'm dealing with her constantly trying to lick concrete, the plaster on the walls or eating soil at the time. I think it's medication related but it's frustrating and worrying. Luckily we're at the vets on Monday to hopefully have her stitches out anyway so I'll discuss it then.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Just took the pup out for her 2nd walk and had 2 separate "it's ok my dogs friendly" idiots with no lead/leash on their dogs.

My dog has a giant loving cone on, I don't care how friendly your dog is, when I tell you to get your loving dog, get your loving dog. It's not hard is it?

This makes my blood boil. I have 3 dogs and 2 of them are sweetness and light, the third and smallest is a Jack Russell Terrier and it doesn't matter how friendly your dog is (or how big) she will make a concerted effort to eat it if it comes in range. She is on a lead for a reason ... its for your dogs protection not mine! It would be helpful if more owners had a bit of respect. As for letting dogs approach a dog with a cone ... I'm lost for words.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Andoman posted:

This makes my blood boil. I have 3 dogs and 2 of them are sweetness and light, the third and smallest is a Jack Russell Terrier and it doesn't matter how friendly your dog is (or how big) she will make a concerted effort to eat it if it comes in range. She is on a lead for a reason ... its for your dogs protection not mine! It would be helpful if more owners had a bit of respect. As for letting dogs approach a dog with a cone ... I'm lost for words.

People get just loving indignant about being told to get their dog on a leash. I've never had someone be any less than an entitled mouthy prick about it, if they do it at all.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Harvey Mantaco posted:

People get just loving indignant about being told to get their dog on a leash. I've never had someone be any less than an entitled mouthy prick about it, if they do it at all.

My view when I'm out walking is if we see dogs approaching on a lead we put our dogs on a lead until we are well past them on the assumption they are on a lead for a good reason

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I was standing with someone who had their guide dog, in full harness, and a guy just came up with his whippet like, 'ooh let's have a little sniff.' I said 'that's a guide dog' and he didn't even show any shame!

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

That's because responsible, educated and thoughtful motherfuckers like us, do it without being prompted.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

The worst I ever heard was some guy go "he's an off-leash dog." I'm pretty sure I just went aaahhhHHHHHH, like I didn't have the words for it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
There was an rear end in a top hat earlier this week at a park we go to regularly that didn’t have their dog on a leash, and was in fact ignoring the dog completely while he chatted three other people up.

They were standing on the only goddamn bridge to get to the walking path so we couldn’t go ahead there. The other dog finally notices Pongo and thankfully doesn’t come close, just barks at a distance.

The rear end in a top hat was laughing at his own dog, “oh you silly dog laughing at one twice your size.” Motherfucker, if your dog comes over here I am not responsible for what happens. He finally gets the dog to mosey on down the path but man I was pissed for a while.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 29, 2023

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

On the other end of things, one of the times I was taking Snowbell on a day hike a family we passed going the other direction who didn't have a dog of their own thanked me for keeping her on a leash.

It's not just other dogs! There are people out there who have had bad experiences with dogs and a strange dog running up to them, no matter how friendly, is a stressful experience!

e: the breeder whose list i'm on has announced puppies expected end of this year. time... to hope

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Shugojin posted:

On the other end of things, one of the times I was taking Snowbell on a day hike a family we passed going the other direction who didn't have a dog of their own thanked me for keeping her on a leash.

It's not just other dogs! There are people out there who have had bad experiences with dogs and a strange dog running up to them, no matter how friendly, is a stressful experience!

e: the breeder whose list i'm on has announced puppies expected end of this year. time... to hope

There are a lot of people around here that are scared of dogs. It used to be funny to me and now it's just annoying. The number of people that have physically screamed when they've come through the concierge and not noticed the dog till we are walking past.

It's typically the same ethnicity too and I don't want to generalise but I do feel like it's a possible cultural issue or something. It's quite strange.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

There are a lot of people around here that are scared of dogs. It used to be funny to me and now it's just annoying. The number of people that have physically screamed when they've come through the concierge and not noticed the dog till we are walking past.

It's typically the same ethnicity too and I don't want to generalise but I do feel like it's a possible cultural issue or something. It's quite strange.

That's a level I've never seen, there's been visible discomfort/wariness but my dogs have been on leashes and under control so generally we just go by each other and that's the end of it.

More common with Snowbell was literally stopping traffic because people would just stop their cars and tell me how beautiful she was. My sweet giant baby.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I always struggle with what to do when some freaks off leash dog comes at me. Is it aggressive? Just noisy? Do I risk a bite? Boot it? What if I boot a friendly dog?

I got pulled down and had my hand hosed up by a German Shepard a guy was just letting chill on his front lawn unsupervised so I never trust myself.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Where I'm from all the off leash dogs are either huge assholes I don't want my dog near, or hyper obidiant goldens who get recalled long before we got close

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Shugojin posted:

That's a level I've never seen, there's been visible discomfort/wariness but my dogs have been on leashes and under control so generally we just go by each other and that's the end of it.

More common with Snowbell was literally stopping traffic because people would just stop their cars and tell me how beautiful she was. My sweet giant baby.

It doesn't help with the media in the UK right now. They've recently been on a crusade to get XL bullies banned and it recently passed, they're now classed as dangerous dogs after a bunch of idiots who shouldn't have dogs, had big, scary dogs that were all poorly trained and a bunch of attacks happened in a short period of time, resulting in some deaths unfortunately.

Now, I wanted an XL bully but didn't get one for fear of something like this happening, but we still have a old English bulldog and people are often convinced she's an XL bully. Funny thing is she's the softest and most affectionate dog I've met my whole life so I also have a bad habit of taking it personally when people think she's dangerous, my wife however gets more upset than I do when people think she's dangerous.

I know she can be a little excitable still and we're constantly working on her behaviour ( she's too friendly ), but a month ago or so, (when prob half her current size) she tried jumping up at a jogger who ran quite close to us while walking her, I know she just felt the guys energy, got excited and wanted to say hello but he didnt, luckily I pulled her back right away so she didn't even get to jump up really, but the guy (big, 6ft dude) screamed like a girl and jumped over the concrete barrier almost falling into the canal. It was almost hilarious.

This is all the result of the media blowing things up recently from a small percentage of poo poo owners who shouldn't have dogs in the first place.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Little kids getting eaten is a pretty hard thing to counter tbh

It sucks but it is what it is.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Have you considered that maybe if those children didn't want to get eaten they shouldn't have been so delicious

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I've read so many horror stories online of small dogs getting killed by off leash large dogs that I have considered getting something to carry with me when walking Pochi, I just don't know what's really appropriate

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

It is mostly the owners although some breeds are more predisposed to violence than others - banning the breed wont fix it though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
lovely owners will just shift to the next big dog they can get away with neglecting. "Oh, I can't have a big scary pit bull? OK, gimme the biggest doberman you got." Eventually every breed except chihuahuas will be illegal and there'll be someone out there breeding 60-pound chihuahuas to satisfy demand among rear end in a top hat dog owners.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

It's never the dog, it's always the owner.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
True but have you ever seen a pug's skull? We should not be making more pugs

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Now, I wanted an XL bully but didn't get one for fear of something like this happening, but we still have a old English bulldog and people are often convinced she's an XL bully. Funny thing is she's the softest and most affectionate dog I've met my whole life so I also have a bad habit of taking it personally when people think she's dangerous, my wife however gets more upset than I do when people think she's dangerous.

I’m not saying your particular dog is a future murder machine but I can guarantee you pretty much every single one of these people whose dogs end up killing or maiming someone have said this exact same thing at one point or another.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Andoman posted:

It is mostly the owners although some breeds are more predisposed to violence than others - banning the breed wont fix it though.

I couldn't agree more, they'd be better off licencing dogs and only making sure responsible people have them. The issue is it's more expensive and harder for the government to enforce and would take longer than the quick and easy win they get in the news of banning the breed. It does nothing but makes them look like they've done something and the vast majority of people will fall for it.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I’m not saying your particular dog is a future murder machine but I can guarantee you pretty much every single one of these people whose dogs end up killing or maiming someone have said this exact same thing at one point or another.

I don't agree, I'm not sure if you're in the UK, but there's a particular type of idiot over here, they're getting as many XL bullies as they can to make them look good, not training the dogs or specifically training them to be aggressive and reactive. They're genuinely not responsible dog owners and they don't give a poo poo about the dogs. It's for their own clout and aesthetic as "road men" and wanting to look tough etc.

It's why the American Pitbull was banned here years ago, this is exactly the same thing that happened before and it will happen again with the next cross breed/new breed that someone makes.

I recently saw a video of one skinny kid out wearing the typical roadmap uniform of designer black shiny puffer coat/gilet, tracksuit bottoms, expensive trainers etc trying to walk 3 XL bullies. The dogs had no training and wouldn't listen to any commands, one of the dogs attacked a woman and the other 2 jumped in with a pack mentality and the guy didn't know what to do and couldn't get control of his dogs at all.

I agree it's very dangerous, but that's not inherently the breed. It's the idiot who had 3 and didn't have control of any of them and just allowed the situation to escalate because he was a moron.

It was actually only down the road from me too, not far away at all.

As for my dog, if she ever showed any signs of aggression with where we live, she would be muzzled any time we are out of the house. There's no way we could avoid people or dogs and it would be wholly irresponsible of us to not take that seriously.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The problem with the bully breed apologia is it sorta relies on nurture vs nature to the point that all dogs must be a homogenous blob that have no inherit traits. They are dangerous dogs, they can be safe, but God help you if they get the taste of baby flesh. Getting a bully to unlatch from my dogs head was more difficult than if should have been vs other dog bites.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Breeds absolutely have difficulty levels, and larger breeds with high prey drives take a lot more work from the owner to make into happy and well adjusted friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The problem with the bully breed apologia is it sorta relies on nurture vs nature to the point that all dogs must be a homogenous blob that have no inherit traits. They are dangerous dogs, they can be safe, but God help you if they get the taste of baby flesh. Getting a bully to unlatch from my dogs head was more difficult than if should have been vs other dog bites.

well that applies to a huge spectrum of other breeds, i.e. any breeds that were purpose-bred for war or security are instinctually inclined to bite humans. so, breeds like mastiffs, boxers, Rottweilers, all sorts of hounds and shepherds - have the same issues (or worse ones!), they're just popular in different social strata.