Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Should've stuck with lollipops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

I think you're assuming things about me based on how you interpret what I say.

Like one of the last posts I made was just me being legit surprised by the realization of Water-7's motif being chosen just to set up Sogeking. I wasn't actually mad about it. I'm more impressed than anything.

Eh, the Water-7 mask thing purpose was way more for CP-9 disguise than anything else.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

TheKingofSprings posted:

I don’t believe it

cocaine is a hell of a drug

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sanji showing up to block Doflamingo when he was menacing the 1000 Sunny was super cool.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Doc Q definitely writes himself scripts he doesn't need

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

whoah what's with all the good posts on this page

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nodosaur posted:

Anyway, here's part one of that promised Digimon post:

Luffy

Chuumon > Targetmon > Etemon > KingEtemon

Luffy is defined by many things; a ridiculous powerset that's more dangerous than it looks, his inspiration taking from classic cartoons, and his massive strength. Chuumon is based on "Looney Tunes" style characters to start with, so he was a natural fit. As for Targetmon through KingEtemon...well, if you're familiar with Digimon lore, Etemon was originally a candidate for the title of "strongest Digimon". He was one of a handful of Digimon who could evolve from the weak mistreated evolutions into something incredibly strong. Plus, the Etemon line has a flamboyant, wacky vibe in addition to its great strength that would be much appreciated by Luffy as a partner. KingEtemon being, well, a "king" ties into Luffy's overall dream and goal. I dunno, I just thought it best Luffy have something powerful but also cartoony and wacky.

The thing that always amuses me about Digimon is that when you read their descriptions, all of them seem like they're the strongest thing around.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah this Digimon is so big and strong that if it rolls over it would destroy a quarter of the Digiverse.

This Digimon exudes so much STRONG that even being in its vicinity will cause weaker Digimon to disintegrate into Digi-Atoms, and it's influence grows with each passing day and will eventually envelope the entire Digiverse.

But then you have this Digimon that wields a bigass gun that it uses as a cudgel cause it's literally not allowed by Digi-YHVH to fire it as a weapon, cause it would tear a hole in the very fabric of the Digiverse.

This Digimon is the fated holy warrior that is destined to save the Digiverse from the ultimate evil that no one else can beat.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Weirdly enough, Thriller Bark is actually where Nami's greed started to get toned down a bit. But I do think that not only Sanji, but also Usopp, Chopper, and maybe Franky did get flanderized somewhat around then. (Zoro also underwent a shift in characterization I don't particularly like, but not until the time skip, and it was an in-universe change (presumably due to spending time around Mihawk) rather than flanderization.)

I also don't care about Brook, so there's that.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

YggdrasilTM posted:

Ironic how the musician is the most one note character on the crew.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

YggdrasilTM posted:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Katakuri is 48

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheKingofSprings posted:

There was a streak of those for a bit, I think Shirahoshi and Rebecca are the same age

Neither of them married an adult.

ragnarokette posted:

Ironic how the musician is the most one note character on the crew.

Brook does the best job, out of anyone in the crew, of seamlessly switching between background goofing and center stage antics. I'm never thinking, man sure is weird that Brook isn't doing anything. Instead it's just assumed that he's playing some tunes, drinking some tea/milk, or something when he's not on screen chiding Big Mom or icing dudes.

Everyone else it actually feels like Oda forgot about them or it feels weird that they're not jumping in. Like, how many moments has Chopper actually gotten to for real do something? Possibly as many times as Robin got a fight.

I probably rank Brook higher as a favorite crew member than most too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I hope it's just because he's got the impending doom and need to escape on his mind, but I'm still hoping we're going to get scenes of Vegapunk being impressed by/interacting with both Frankie and Chopper.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah I want Vegapunk + Franky to have some nerd time for sure and potentially tune up the Sunny, General Franky, or give Franky a tune up himself.

I think Vegapunk + Chopper will happen, but might be less interesting.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Infinitum posted:

Yeah I want Vegapunk + Franky to have some nerd time for sure and potentially tune up the Sunny, General Franky, or give Franky a tune up himself.

I think Vegapunk + Chopper will happen, but might be less interesting.

Finally, Franky can get his back done. His only weakness, gone.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My roommate started watching One Piece a few weeks ago since they made most of it available on Netflix.

He's had some tears. Especially when Chopper's story happened.

He's up to Alabasta now. I'm so proud of him. :allears:

edit: oh no he just met Ace and he really likes that Luffy has a cool brother :ohdear:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think my favorite member of CP9 is Kaku.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
best cp9 member is hattori

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

BoosterDuck posted:

Spoiling for recent events We haven’t seen how Lucci was able to report back to the WG, Hattori could have some kind of power.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Blueno seems like he's actually the best member of CP9. Dude's pretty down to earth, and he's the only undercover member who did his mission without betraying anyone.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Uh. He betrayed Franky? Where’s he gonna get his cola now?

Speaking of which, does the effect of how strong Franky is depend on the cola brand? Is he weaker when he uses RC Cola?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

BoosterDuck posted:

Well obviously. But the objective best isn’t necessarily someone’s favorite

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nodosaur posted:

Speaking of which, does the effect of how strong Franky is depend on the cola brand? Is he weaker when he uses RC Cola?

There's a scene coming up

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Infinitum posted:

There's a scene coming up

Oh my god

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

Oh my god

Yeah. One Piece is Pretty drat Good.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I do wanna talk about something though. But first I wanna clarify that I love this arc, it’s my favorite so far. I genuinely enjoyed most of the story!

But Lucci has to be my least favorite of CP9.

It’s mostly that…he doesn’t really present anything special as far as backstory or motivation. What we learn about him is that he’s been ruthless since childhood and indiscriminate in who he kills, and his whole Dark Justice thing…it feels like I’ve seen this kind of character in anime a hundred times.

And then there’s his abilities. It feels like his Devil Fruit is used as a method of increasing his strength more than using unique powers like other users up to this point. He only slashes with his tail and turns into a leopard to bite Luffy once; otherwise he uses the six powers and they’ve been well used up to this point and aren’t exciting anymore.

Like, I loved that fight, but only for seeing what Luffy can do and how far he pushed himself. Lucci himself just doesn’t seem all that interesting and I don’t see why fans were so into him at the time.

But again. I LOVED Enies Lobby. Please don’t act like I’m just trying to put the manga down or assume I’m seriously unhappy with it. I just don’t see the appeal of this guy.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

jeeez just read another manga since you HATE THIS ONE SO MUCH

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sigh.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

In all seriousness I do feel like certain Luffy enemies in particular have a thematic role of being specifically that kind of boring "I am super powerful and ruthless and I kill with no emotion" archetype in order to specifically contrast them to Luffy who is inventive and goofy and hopeful. Klahadore from Syrup Village is another I feel fits this mold, and is also one a lot of fans consider kind of boring and one note, but I also feel Oda is making a specific point: like that in another manga this type of character (whether a villain, or hero, or anti-hero) is often put on a pedestal for being sooo badass and cynical, but what Oda wants to see is a goofy rubber guy making his tummy big to deflect a canon ball

EDIT: to put it another way, Luffy as the protagonist is often not only fighting just the strongest enemy, but is also fighting in a way that represents the theme of the entire arc/manga

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 29, 2023

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Guy A. Person posted:

In all seriousness I do feel like certain Luffy enemies in particular have a thematic role of being specifically that kind of boring "I am super powerful and ruthless and I kill with no emotion" archetype in order to specifically contrast them to Luffy who is inventive and goofy and hopeful. Klahadore from Syrup Village is another I feel fits this mold, and is also one a lot of fans consider kind of boring and one note, but I also feel Oda is making a specific point: like that in another manga this type of character (whether a villain, or hero, or anti-hero) is often put on a pedestal for being sooo badass and cynical, but what Oda wants to see is a goofy rubber guy making his tummy big to deflect a canon ball

Oh. I. Didn’t realize you were being sarcastic.

Sorry.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nodosaur posted:

I think my favorite member of CP9 is Kaku.

:hai:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Have you read Kaku's fight yet, or no?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Infinitum posted:

Have you read Kaku's fight yet, or no?

I finished the whole arc. I loved how he balanced being comedic and an actual threat to Zoro while figuring out his devil fruit powers at the same time.

PASTA MAKER!

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Nodosaur posted:

Anyway, here's part one of that promised Digimon post:

Luffy

Chuumon > Targetmon > Etemon > KingEtemon

Luffy would gently caress up raising it and get a Sukamon and love it, with no other change in the evolution path.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Chapter??

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Then you may stare into the future

Also one of the best scenes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDFy6vqufOw

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think this might be a break week but I’m not completely sure

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nodosaur posted:

I finished the whole arc. I loved how he balanced being comedic and an actual threat to Zoro while figuring out his devil fruit powers at the same time.

PASTA MAKER!

Hands down one of my favorite fights in One Piece for the very same reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSzRGaVq-aQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think that Lucci and all the Ennis Lobby crew are one of the few times that the bad guys aren't in some way about Luffy and showing a contrast or highlighting a character trait for him. It seems more about Robin, and all the super edgy darkness and and stuff is there for Luffy and the crew to overcome so Robin can finally be free of her personal darkness. Like, Lucci is explicitly an assassin who goes around finding criminals who he then betrays. While Robin is explicitly an assassin who goes around finding criminals who she is betrayed by.

I could be forgetting, but I don't think Robin made any jokes or gave more than an amused smile before Luffy ordered the flag set on fire. After that when she was finally freed from the paranoia of everyone always turning on her, and to some extent also exorcising the ghost of the Buster Call, she finally came out of her shell.

Obviously there's still stuff for Luffy and the guys to interact with that isn't just about Robin, but clearly she's the focus of the arc to an extent that excludes Luffy and the rest to a degree that doesn't happen in any other arc. Even Arlong Park and Whole Cake Island don't center on a single crew member like Ennis Lobby does. Arlong is still a lot about what an untranslatable but important word Nakama is. While Whole Cake Island wasn't anywhere near as focused on Sanji.