Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
hm, i happened to open a 3MF that I'd saved in the latest Bambu Studio over in Orca Slicer, and it contains additional keys that line up with the X1E leak re chamber temperature, etc:

also an air filter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay it’s definitely not waterlogged, woo!

The temp bound on this is 205-225, so trying 205 now. Please be an easy fix please please…

The bowls from before, after I took a bit removing strings:

If I can print a clean one I will make a family member really happy.

If you consider that a fail, I would heat gun or lighter it to try and clean up the strings before resorting to temp towers. It MIGHT fix it enough for your liking.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Well shoot, another beautiful stringy bowl. I’m going to have to learn retraction settings next.

Also, alas, I don’t have a heat gun.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I'm printing the suspended hand in wires design from here

https://makerworld.com/en/models/16464#profileId-15294

And my printer keeps pausing it because the spaghetti detection is firing lol.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Well shoot, another beautiful stringy bowl. I’m going to have to learn retraction settings next.

Also, alas, I don’t have a heat gun.

A hairdryer would also work to get rid of the strings.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
What would cause the supports to like spaghetti out and not adhere at all from the get go, but if I let it go the first layer/adherence of the actual thing being 3D printed comes out great (except for where the supports are needed)?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 30, 2023

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
What slicer, what kind of supports, what material are you printing, what material is your print bed, etc...

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Are the planets in the correct alignment, did you remember to offer a sacrifice to the appropriate deity, did you do a funny dance before you started, etc etc.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Macichne Leainig posted:

What slicer, what kind of supports, what material are you printing, what material is your print bed, etc...

Sorry that was stupid of me to not include. Using PLA slicing with Cura on the smooth side of a PEI sheet, normal line style supports.

Planets seem to be in alignment like if I do a z-offset calibration print it comes out great, and if I print something without supports that's no problem.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Sorry that was stupid of me to not include. Using PLA slicing with Cura on the smooth side of a PEI sheet, normal line style supports.

Planets seem to be in alignment like if I do a z-offset calibration print it comes out great, and if I print something without supports that's no problem.

Check your support print speed. I accidentally set mine way too high one time and it had roughly that effect.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, supports are also pretty sensitive to getting nudged or curled a bit, the moment they get nudged a bit and poke up the print head can just rip 'em off.
When I print more complex stuff stuff I tend to use organic supports in OrcaSlicer with larger rims/bases + 2-3 walls, which makes them strong and robust as all hell, I've been burned on larger 'normal type' supports before, when they've been pretty big.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Alright so I'm rehabbing a stock Ender 3 Pro, and resolving issues one by one as I go. Currently trying to improve dimensional accuracy, because circles come out slightly out-of-round. I was dealing with some z-banding which was fixed by adjusting the eccentric nuts for the x-axis carriage. I've now realized that the nuts on the y-axis carriage were also way over-tightened and am printing another test. (The print head carriage was okay.) Probably this will help with the dimensional issues, but I'm wondering if anyone else has suggestions on things for me to check while I'm tinkering.

I've checked that the frame is square, and I've tightened the belts. Haven't done e-steps yet because I'm waiting for an all-metal extruder and I'm swapping the board to a BTT SKR e3 v3, but I will do that once that's all installed. I'm mostly just trying to get the mechanical stuff ironed out first while I wait.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVf0mbBCygQ

I am deeply fascinated by this as a technique.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

neat video but gently caress off with the music, drat

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Arcsech posted:

Check your support print speed. I accidentally set mine way too high one time and it had roughly that effect.

This was exactly it it seems! I lowered the speed just a little and now it's fine, thank you!

SubNat posted:

Yeah, supports are also pretty sensitive to getting nudged or curled a bit, the moment they get nudged a bit and poke up the print head can just rip 'em off.
When I print more complex stuff stuff I tend to use organic supports in OrcaSlicer with larger rims/bases + 2-3 walls, which makes them strong and robust as all hell, I've been burned on larger 'normal type' supports before, when they've been pretty big.

Now that this seems to be working I'm definitely going to be playing around with different support styles, I agree about the normal ones, there's so many points where it seems like it can gently caress up or make cleaning it up a pain.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Deviant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVf0mbBCygQ

I am deeply fascinated by this as a technique.

it's fairly standard for composite mold making and it's *alot* of work.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

it's fairly standard for composite mold making and it's *alot* of work.

i can tell. I'll stick with my 3d xtc resin. Not perfect, but it made this look pretty good:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Going crazy. I'm trying to get good prints on my klippered kobra max, and I keep getting scrapping/collisions on top surfaces when printing/traveling etc.

It'll print everything great, then start scrapping and knocking the print around when it starts filling in the top surfaces. Any idea what I should be looking at here? at a bit of a loss...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fixed my Ender 3 problems by getting a Bambu X1C

Whose cruel joke was it to ship the thing with a Benchy model that fails and blobs the nozzle every time? I thought I messed something up until I did a search on Reddit.

Also does anyone have advice for reducing vibrations? I have it on a desk solidly fixed to the wall but it still shakes like crazy.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

RE: reducing vibrations - go to Home Depot and get a paver that your printer can sit atop. Here's a CNC kitchen video with specific tests/recommendations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y08v6PY_7ak

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No joke I am going to purchase a new better printer next year. It's my big saving goal for my budget, because I want a multi-extruder so I can print stuff like this:

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/kitsune-flexi-articulated-fox-with-nine-tails-print-in-place-no-supports

I'll do the research next year as to which one precisely, but I am definitely over the beginner printer and want a better machine.

e: lol it's funny now I see the faint wisping / stringiness on that kitsune. I'm becoming so hyper-sensitive to print quality.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

StrixNebulosa posted:

No joke I am going to purchase a new better printer next year. It's my big saving goal for my budget, because I want a multi-extruder so I can print stuff like this:

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/kitsune-flexi-articulated-fox-with-nine-tails-print-in-place-no-supports

I'll do the research next year as to which one precisely, but I am definitely over the beginner printer and want a better machine.

e: lol it's funny now I see the faint wisping / stringiness on that kitsune. I'm becoming so hyper-sensitive to print quality.

I wouldn't call that "faint". It was the first thing I saw when I embiggened the thumbnail!

Also I'd love to fix my Ender 3 problems by buying a nice new printer, but I already have two of these things (one gifted to me for free), they work, and I'm not printing enough stuff to warrant the upgrade over spending that money on other things. Plus I honestly still like tinkering with them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

armorer posted:

I wouldn't call that "faint". It was the first thing I saw when I embiggened the thumbnail!

I would give so much to have that comparatively faint stringing right now :sigh:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tiny Timbs posted:

Fixed my Ender 3 problems by getting a Bambu X1C

Whose cruel joke was it to ship the thing with a Benchy model that fails and blobs the nozzle every time? I thought I messed something up until I did a search on Reddit.

Also does anyone have advice for reducing vibrations? I have it on a desk solidly fixed to the wall but it still shakes like crazy.

Did you do the calibration after setup? Mine does not shake much on a similarly mounted countertop

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

I would give so much to have that comparatively faint stringing right now :sigh:

Try something like this:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3518195

There's a bunch of things you can tweak, including cooling,retraction, extrusion, etc....but start with something simpler so that you can see what's actually going on.
You should not have any stringing at all with PLA.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Did you do the calibration after setup? Mine does not shake much on a similarly mounted countertop

Yeah, twice.

I have some memory foam mattress material and I went and got a paver so I’m going to try that setup. Maybe put a doily over it so it looks nicer.

handle
Jan 20, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I saw you're using Inland PLA, my sweet spot with it appears to be about 195˚ C, for whatever reason. If you're comfortable dropping the temps a bit it's worth a shot with a temperature tower that goes that low.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

handle posted:

I saw you're using Inland PLA, my sweet spot with it appears to be about 195˚ C, for whatever reason. If you're comfortable dropping the temps a bit it's worth a shot with a temperature tower that goes that low.

This might be the answer! Except that I forgot to toggle supports so I printed a kitty bowl with spaghetti instead of a face or a tail :doh:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Paver + memory foam pad did the trick. No more Bambu shaking my desks.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

This might be the answer! Except that I forgot to toggle supports so I printed a kitty bowl with spaghetti instead of a face or a tail :doh:

Moms spbagett

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

For PLA, do I just let er rip and go for max fan speed after the initial layer?

Couple 5015 blowers on a 0.6 volcano from anycubic. I know for petg etc you need to worry about fans and layer adhesion, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for to avoid it oozing all the time.

Is the move really just do go with some crazy cht nozzle and a different hotend?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Not having an ethernet port is literally my only frustration with my P1Ps and I'll lose it if Bambu never puts one on models I can actually justify purchasing.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Someone asked me if I could print them custom leather stamps. I said let's find out together, and behold:

I am shocked that not only did 0.175" of PLA survive me mashing it as hard as possible in my little desk vice, but also that the results not only look ok, but the layer lines look vaguely intentionally ornamental. This is gonna be a whole new fuckin thing now. I'm excited.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Javid posted:

Someone asked me if I could print them custom leather stamps. I said let's find out together, and behold:

I am shocked that not only did 0.175" of PLA survive me mashing it as hard as possible in my little desk vice, but also that the results not only look ok, but the layer lines look vaguely intentionally ornamental. This is gonna be a whole new fuckin thing now. I'm excited.

Very cool. Was this on dry leather, or wet?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Wet, squished very unscientifically in a vise. I have barely even googled leather stamping and may or may not be doing it wrong

e: hell yeah I squashed one, still worked too

Javid fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 1, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I keep trying to blow the hairs off my phone, damnit 🤣

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The culprit has no shame.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
Elegoo just finished their pre-order phase for Neptune 4 / 4 Pro, and they already have two bigger models coming:

Neptune 4 Plus
Print volume: 320*320*385mm
$320

Neptune 4 Max
Print volume: 420*420*480mm
$470

I was going to comment on the 480mm build height, but Neptune 3 Max beats that by 20mm. loving hell, how big are these things gonna be? :psyduck:

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Javid posted:

Someone asked me if I could print them custom leather stamps.
PLA is surprisingly sturdy stuff in compression, as long as you make sure there's enough structure to take the pressure. I've made a whole bunch of holding fixtures lately to help clamp some of the hydraulic parts we work on in a vise, as well as cute little press blocks to help form cute little aluminum data tags to the right shapes so they conform to the parts correctly. Whenever any of it wears out, I'll just print more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Javid posted:

Very cool. If you don't want the lines you could either print it with the stamping side down (no problem if the supports make the recessed surface all boogery) or hit it with a bit of Bondo and sand it smooth.

I upgraded my Prusa Mini firmware to the alpha with input shaping and boy howdy does that thing fly now.