Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
enterprise season 4 opener is pretty loving bad, absolutely atrocious pace and writing and the live action fighting sequences extra bad, like they just had props and costumes left over from the time voyager was also doing a nazis in space two parter which looked like they were leftovers from a tos nazis in space/gangster planet set

I know the rest of 4 is meant to be better, but goddamn what a loving stupid start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Wasn’t the Season 4 opener Manny Coto doing his best to deal with the ‘gently caress you here’s alien Nazis’ cliffhanger Berman/Braga left for him?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

People say Season 4 is far and away the best but I didn't find it to be any better or worse than any other.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

zoux posted:

People say Season 4 is far and away the best but I didn't find it to be any better or worse than any other.

It is better in that its has mini-arcs that are more consistant but it is still bland tv.

Zaroff posted:

Wasn’t the Season 4 opener Manny Coto doing his best to deal with the ‘gently caress you here’s alien Nazis’ cliffhanger Berman/Braga left for him?

Yep, they gifted him a poo poo sandwich and he tossed it as soon as he could.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zaroff posted:

He also thankfully dumped the Temporal Cold War storyline in the trash finally

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Also season 4 had the absolute worst series finale

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Wow this Duet episode was very good.

Love the little bit of foreshadowing with Dukat going "If this patient says his name is Marritza, then that's who he is." near the start.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah that episode is one of the best of DS9 and is the official start of when the show gets consistently good

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Feldegast42 posted:

Also season 4 had the absolute worst series finale

But Terra Prime was great?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
At the rate LDS is going this season I can't help but feel like they'll be retconning These Are the Voyages out of existence any minute now and I'm looking forward to it.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Fighting Trousers posted:

At the rate LDS is going this season I can't help but feel like they'll be retconning These Are the Voyages out of existence any minute now and I'm looking forward to it.

They sort of did already lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPCGkHjsK9M&t=34s

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

These Are the Voyages is the most appropriate finale Enterprise could have had. "Here, watch characters people actually care about for 45 minutes while they pretend this half-story is the most meaningful thing the Enterprise crew did, which really reinforces how irrelevant this show truly was, and now it's over and you never have to think about it again." It's legitimately perfect.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Birthright parts I + II: The novelty of the DS9 crossover, a mildly interesting Data b-plot and a reasonably satisfying ending doesn't make up for this being a bit drab and ponderous. Disjointed too. In part 1, Data levels up and learns the Dream ability. In part 2, Worf does Klingon Tai Chi (sorry, the MUCK BARRY) and plays "throw the stick through the hoop" to win da hearts of da kidz and man, it never quite gets as exciting as that one shot early on where he walks past Morn, aka the greatest, most important and cool Star Trek character ever. I've barely seen any of DS9, I know Morn and his lovely little face that I want to put between my hands and squish.

Fascinating finding out Alexander Siddig's real name in the credits, then looking it up and finding out his REAL real name.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Fun fact: Morn is one of only four characters to appear in all three of TNG, DS9, and VOY. The others are Q, Quark, and Gul Evek.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Birthright is a really boring two parter where we get to see Worf getting ready to bang a teenager and then instantly dropping her when he sees she’s got sharp ears

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

MuddyFunster posted:

Fascinating finding out Alexander Siddig's real name in the credits, then looking it up and finding out his REAL real name.

He changes from Siddig El Fadil in the credits of DS9 to Alexander Siddig in series 4. I remember as a kid being like ??? but then you look him up and he did it to sound less "foreign". Which is kinda poo poo

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Taear posted:

He changes from Siddig El Fadil in the credits of DS9 to Alexander Siddig in series 4. I remember as a kid being like ??? but then you look him up and he did it to sound less "foreign". Which is kinda poo poo

Yeah, common thing throughout the entire history of Hollywood -and before that with writers and performing arts, and just in general- unfortunately.

Things seem to be getting a bit better now days in that respect at least!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Also I watched "For The Uniform" again last night and god the holo communicator is so weird, it's like an episode from a parallel universe of star trek.
I get the idea and why they wanted to do it but it makes the episode feel really different.

I do like that Sisko says "no they're not refugees, you've MADE them refugees, they had places to go and settle". I hate the fuckin' Marquis

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Birthright is a really boring two parter where we get to see Worf getting ready to bang a teenager and then instantly dropping her when he sees she’s got sharp ears

I really wish DS9 had done something with Worf dealing with Romulans when they were allies in the Dominion War. His prejudice against them is such a recurring theme in TNG, it would have been really nice to see him overcome it.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Make Ezri Romulan

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The really big 'what if' I'd have loved DS9 to have done is to keep the Romulan officer who was supposed to be in charge of the Defiant's cloaking device as a recurring character. She was even played by Martha Hackett, who we know is a totally capable character actor for Trek, seeing as she was in a billion Voyager episodes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apparently there was a DVD copy of Star Trek: Borg released only in Japan and someone has gotten ahold of that and ripped it and upscaled and retuned all the footage and made it playable online? https://borgremastered.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jBYkjBF8Zw

Haven't played it yet but the quality improvement looks impressive.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 30, 2023

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Apparently there was a DVD copy of Star Trek: Borg released only in Japan and someone has gotten ahold of that and ripped it and upscaled and retuned all the footage and made it playable online? https://borgremastered.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jBYkjBF8Zw

Haven't played it yet but the quality improvement looks impressive.

All I can think about is how much the C&D order is going to hurt with this one :sigh:

Did the Roddenberry Archive ever come back or are those cool walkable bridges just lost to time?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Is the upscaled footage from that available online as a video anywhere? Youtube?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sir Lemming posted:

It is a great scene but it's not in that video. This is it:

Oh right, thank you. I had both in my history and guessed wrong.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Fun fact: Morn is one of only four characters to appear in all three of TNG, DS9, and VOY. The others are Q, Quark, and Gul Evek.

Quark and Morn were in Lower Decks too!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

mllaneza posted:

Oh right, thank you. I had both in my history and guessed wrong.

Quark and Morn were in Lower Decks too!

As was Q.

What this tells me is that we need a Gul Evek cameo in LD.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 30, 2023

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Starship Mine: I suppose this is the first glimmer of Action Picard. The two fisted, punch-the-baddie, laser blasting pale imitation who'd appear in the movies from First Contact and beyond. It's somehow an even worse Die Hard knock off than the second half of Rascals and I have no loving clue how you manage that. A good Die Hard needs a quality villain, but here we have a sharp faced, charisma vacuum schoolmarm and her merry band of random forehead appliances (plus Tuvok). Their big plan is crap, Picard mincemeats them like Rambo. Except of course, we can't go that violent so it's all a bit feeble and gutless. We don't even get a good death for schoolmarm, just a rubbish distant explosion. And poor Commander Hutchinson, a very nice, pleasant man, belittled by all and mentioned by nobody after he dies! Makes the crew look like a real bunch of assholes. Bollocks.

Lessons: A change of pace and another very staid romance, this time Picard is getting some music practice (SEXING) in. The music-as-lovemaking metaphor is quaintly cheesy and it does start off dull as ditchwater, but I got drawn in by the end, even if it was all utterly predictable. There wasn't a chance in hell they would be still be an item once the end credits hit, but Wendy Hughes was kind of a sweet match for Stewart. I'd probably have liked it a lot less if they'd killed her off, so the final few scenes were nice. Often try not to give in to cynicism. Sure, middle aged romance isn't the most thrilling thing in the world, but it fits Picard a drat sight better than him running about with a crossbow.

And if nothing else, it gave us this, which I now have full context for. It's not my favourite, the backfiring Knight Rider one is best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DChJ2FtCP5U

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

That matte painting for the Jefferey's tube there is so obvious lol, never should have filmed that close.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The character PStew really wanted to play all this time was Spider Jerusalem, a two-fisted journalist whose sidearm of choice made his enemies poo poo their intestines out.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I do like that scene, though. Call me a softy (my insides really are marshmallow fluff), but the Ressikan melody was so personal for Picard. It's such a nice character arc for him that he goes from being gruff in the first season to being willing to share this meaningful piece of his (kinda) history.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Starship Mine: Picard fightin'

Lessons: Picard fuckin'

But in all seriousness, I think Lessons is one of the best written romances TNG ever did, and the callback to Inner Light was incorporated very nicely.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Starship Mine is a great episode, come at me haters

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Truckin', fuckin' and Jean-Luckin'.

e: Count me as a Starship Mine fan also.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
It teaches us all a valuable lesson that everyone can have they own starship if you want it badly enough.

And have some space guns and goons I guess. But yeah very aspirational.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

DaveWoo posted:

But in all seriousness, I think Lessons is one of the best written romances TNG ever did, and the callback to Inner Light was incorporated very nicely.

Yes indeed. I think it's one of those ones like The Survivors where it takes a long time to really get going, but when it does, it'll drop you. And it manages to do that without any grand hysterics, everything is perfectly underplayed.

God, The Survivors, that really did me in.

"What is the deal with these old people, I don't care, this is dull, I'm so bored, I. I. Oh, no. Oh, no." :smith:

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Starship Mine is a great episode, come at me haters

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Truckin', fuckin' and Jean-Luckin'.

e: Count me as a Starship Mine fan also.

Yeah it's good.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Captive Pursuit is such a good episode. Tosk really does come across as an alien and not just a guy in a lizard suit.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I do like that scene, though. Call me a softy (my insides really are marshmallow fluff), but the Ressikan melody was so personal for Picard. It's such a nice character arc for him that he goes from being gruff in the first season to being willing to share this meaningful piece of his (kinda) history.

I skipped Lessons a few times on TNG rewatches and was surprised by how much I liked it when I finally checked it out. Stewart does such a good job of having Picard finally let someone into his life, then just really sadly pulling the door shut on himself again at the end.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
This is such a fun shot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Technowolf posted:

Captive Pursuit is such a good episode. Tosk really does come across as an alien and not just a guy in a lizard suit.

I really like how O'Brien is with Tosk.
Although I think the Hunters come across as too powerful and it feels weird that they'd just be another race in the Dominion.

It does make me appreciate that (other than the Federation) the Dominion is an "empire" of more than just one people though. I know it's come up before but show us some Klingon/Cardassian/Romulan subject peoples that aren't the Bajorans. Is the occupation uniquely horrendous? Feels like it is, but surely there's other species living in these empires?