Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
rereading skypeia and god theres so much in here that feels like its supposed to be foreshadowing for the last stretch of the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

its fine if shanks crew takes Ussop, that just means SogeKing can return to aid the Straw Hats at their moment of peak need

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Obviously the Red Hair Pirates will take Chopper in the first round, because they need someone to help with their daily hangovers.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Does Shanks even have someone with medical knowledge on his crew?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Monkey

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Larryb posted:

I'd guess that none of them have ever been sick before, and Nami's just lucky they weren't around to try and get her to chug a bunch of booze in order to fix her fever.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The big thing to me is that none of the rivals in the race for the One Piece have any confirmed way to read Poneglyphs (Blackbeard is the closest since he captured Pudding who Big Mom *thought* would be able to read them one day). If eg Shanks wants to claim it then winning Robin in a Davey Back Fight seems like the most plausible method.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Larryb posted:

Apparently this guy is their doctor:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I have done what I thought was impossible and caught up with the manga, reading like 400 chapters this week, and it was mostly because of seeing people gush about Gear 5. And God drat it, they were right. Out of context, the gum gum fruit being actually "the superest, most special fruit in the world" takes away from the narrative of Luffy taking a lovely devil fruit and making it work, but man, "Luffy was chosen by the fruit of a trickster god of slave rebellions and freedom, whose body is made of rubber to reach out to everyone and bounce back from everything with a smile," is such a powerful message.

One Piece can definitely be overly sentimental for my tastes sometimes, but when it hits, it HITS!

Gear 5 rules hard and is one of the best shonen power-ups I've seen, full stop.

What's also important is that towards the end of the fight Kaido flat-out says that the best Devil Fruit isn't what counts - it's all about haki. And confirms Roger didn't have a fruit power. That comes into play a lot. You can be dealt a great hand in the fruit lottery but be too weak and/or overconfident to put it to good use. If you somehow manage to get to the New World and still don't know what haki is, you're eventually getting killed or "recruited" by an Emperor.

Also, congratulations and welcome to the heaven-and-hell that is "being current on One Piece and having to wait for it every week like the rest of us!"

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
one thing i forgot oda used to do a lot was use a lot of whitespace really effectively to make everything feel bigger and more epic. really miss that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Whitespace died at Marineford tho

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

Whitespace died at Marineford tho

Not a single wound on its back though :v:

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Netflix One Piece is on break this year.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

lol

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
If Shanks wins a Davy Beck fight against the Straw Hats he's taking Franky 100%. dude knows how to party and he doesn't take devil fruit users on his crew (sorry Brook)

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Lucci doesn't break my Top 10 One Piece Final Bosses.

I don't think he even breaks my Top 15.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What’s your 15?

How could you even have more than 15 final bosses in One Piece, are you counting each East Blue mini-arc by itself and adding intermediate bosses like Blueno and Mr. 3?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Lucci is me when a videogame stealth mission goes awry and i dont care anymore.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think that's just the dude's way of saying that he really hates Lucci.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Lucci is an rear end in a top hat and I was extremely happy to see him experience every single type of punch conceivable (big, small, multiple, etc.) in Enies lobby. I hope Zoro gives him the grand tour for cuts.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

Gear 5 rules hard and is one of the best shonen power-ups I've seen, full stop.

What's also important is that towards the end of the fight Kaido flat-out says that the best Devil Fruit isn't what counts - it's all about haki. And confirms Roger didn't have a fruit power. That comes into play a lot. You can be dealt a great hand in the fruit lottery but be too weak and/or overconfident to put it to good use. If you somehow manage to get to the New World and still don't know what haki is, you're eventually getting killed or "recruited" by an Emperor.

Also, congratulations and welcome to the heaven-and-hell that is "being current on One Piece and having to wait for it every week like the rest of us!"

Also, I think it thematically fits with the recent revelation that Devil Fruits comes from the collective dream of the people of the One Piece world. You need both Ambition (haki) and Dream to succeed in liberating the world. Something that Luffy has in spades. Technically, Roger, despite having maybe the most powerful Haki ever (maybe), didn't manage to do whatever it is Joyboy left behind. He got there "too early".

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

How could you even have more than 15 final bosses in One Piece, are you counting each East Blue mini-arc by itself and adding intermediate bosses like Blueno and Mr. 3?

Hmm. Let me count them.

1. Morgan
2. Buggy
3. Kuro
4. Don Krieg
5. Arlong
6. Mr. 3
7. Wapol
8. Crocodile
9. Enel
10. Foxy
11. Lucci
12. Moria
13. Hody
14. Caesar
15. Doflamingo
16. Katakuri
17. Kaidou

In addition, there’s the ones the Straw Hats didn’t actually win against, like Smoker, Kizaru, and Magellan.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Man I can't wait for the eventual joyboy flashback. I do wonder if he's a giant between the Big Hat and the world governments desire to recreate giants

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Don't know how any of you are labeling Lucci as a final/big boss when Spandam was in charge and the instigator of Water 7/Inies Loby.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

lol

https://youtu.be/zSG0YY3nkV4

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Spandam was the main villain, but Lucci was the final boss. It's like Final Fantasy X where you have Sin as the functional final boss, then you fight Yu Yevon, the main villain, but it's basically a cutscene.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gyges posted:

Don't know how any of you are labeling Lucci as a final/big boss when Spandam was in charge and the instigator of Water 7/Inies Loby.

Same reason you label that for Katakuri

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I have done what I thought was impossible and caught up with the manga, reading like 400 chapters this week, and it was mostly because of seeing people gush about Gear 5. And God drat it, they were right. Out of context, the gum gum fruit being actually "the superest, most special fruit in the world" takes away from the narrative of Luffy taking a lovely devil fruit and making it work, but man, "Luffy was chosen by the fruit of a trickster god of slave rebellions and freedom, whose body is made of rubber to reach out to everyone and bounce back from everything with a smile," is such a powerful message.

One Piece can definitely be overly sentimental for my tastes sometimes, but when it hits, it HITS!

:yeah:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

Spandam was the main villain, but Lucci was the final boss. It's like Final Fantasy X where you have Sin as the functional final boss, then you fight Yu Yevon, the main villain, but it's basically a cutscene.

Or like in FF7, where Sephiroth was the final boss, and then you fight Sephiroth, the main villwaitaminute

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

The pain :negative:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Alright, I'm sure this has been asked about a million times here. Sorry for the redundancy.

I'm finally reading through this. I've tried to do so 3 or 4 times but keep tapping out early on. I'm finally in Arlong Park and finally "get it" now. Is the recommended anime supplement just to watch fights that I'm interested in? I know I'm still quite a ways from the absolutely horrid pacing the show has nowadays.

I really am enjoying the line work and have always enjoyed the more "off model" art that happens in manga compared to anime adaptations. That said, it's sometimes a bit confusing to follow. I think I'm just old and prefer paper to phone screens when viewing things, though the convenience obviously can't be matched.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
watch any really big moments in the anime (fights or really dramatic scenes/panels)

genuinely you can watch most of the anime up until around the equivalent of around chapter 500 and it will almost always be Pretty Good

the anime basically gets worse and worse up until the latest arc, which is much better as a lot of the padding is just "filler" episodes that arent even trying to be anything but literal "heres a bunch of copy pasted scenes" so its very easy to cruise through.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

anime was right posted:

watch any really big moments in the anime (fights or really dramatic scenes/panels)

genuinely you can watch most of the anime up until around the equivalent of around chapter 500 and it will almost always be Pretty Good

the anime basically gets worse and worse up until the latest arc, which is much better as a lot of the padding is just "filler" episodes that arent even trying to be anything but literal "heres a bunch of copy pasted scenes" so its very easy to cruise through.

Cheers, I did just that for the panel in the chapter I read last night with The Boys getting ready to roll up to the front door.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/paradox_kinning/status/1708537941000081898?t=BOVSRdncaGmZFT5fQOQlTw&s=19

https://twitter.com/ladeaeveld/status/1708826188502737337?t=rMntlMha09eVAxCQVnRWiA&s=19

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm throwing all my Yamato merchandise in a furnace.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It's time to discard this whole "internet" thing

we had a good run, pack it in

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I'm emptyquoting this so you still have a chance to delete it

Glaric
Oct 9, 2011

That's just sad.
According to troll romance One Piece is a moirail harem anime

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Chieves posted:

Alright, I'm sure this has been asked about a million times here. Sorry for the redundancy.

I'm finally reading through this. I've tried to do so 3 or 4 times but keep tapping out early on. I'm finally in Arlong Park and finally "get it" now. Is the recommended anime supplement just to watch fights that I'm interested in? I know I'm still quite a ways from the absolutely horrid pacing the show has nowadays.

I really am enjoying the line work and have always enjoyed the more "off model" art that happens in manga compared to anime adaptations. That said, it's sometimes a bit confusing to follow. I think I'm just old and prefer paper to phone screens when viewing things, though the convenience obviously can't be matched.

i mean you could always check out your local library if you prefer paper but don't want to buy books. they likely have some in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Been neat seeing the noticeable uptick in people checking out the comics following the Netflix show's release.

Ahoy, matey's. We're off to find the One Piece.

Also,