Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Tool thread, my workplace has bought a 17" floor machine but the job we bought it for isn't going to start for another three months. It looks scary and cool and I very much want to test it out and would like recommendations.

We've got an 80 grit nylon stripping brush and a big scrubbing pad. I think the stripping brush would do good work on pavers or concrete, and the scrubbing pad would work well for cleaning tile and grout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
^^^^^^^
Nice… I did a few summers stripping, sealing and waxing floors with one of those. Sorry I can’t remember what we put on it or even if it would help if I did. We did mostly tile

Anyone who’s not aware: Be Careful… they may not look like much but it’ll put you into a wall easily if you snag something.

Anyway, I have a question: I don’t do a lot of stuff being in an apartment, but we do have a porch and last weekend I built a server rack using a hand saw, some hardware, and the cheapest 2x4s I could get at Home Depot. It’s pretty good and does the job but I have a question about sanding supplies. We have an orbital sander with the holes in the bottom to allow crap through. Seems it’s easy to find 3M pads for it everywhere.
Given my use cases and materials, what kind of grit pads should I keep on hand? I used 120, then 220 when those ran out. I didn’t notice a ton of difference between the finished product after using each. I’m mainly just trying to smooth out the cut and lessen the chances of splinters while building something with the wood.

Any recommendations? Do I even need 2 grits that close? For this use case, do people even take 2 passes?(rough grit/smoother grit)
Should I just grab a bunch of 220 (or 320?) and use that on this stuff?
What do you guys and/or gals do?

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

HolHorsejob posted:

Can anyone recommend good needle files? Not top of the line, but a good & reasonably affordable brand.

Bahco and Pferd do good files at reasonable prices, though I have no idea if those are available in your neck of the woods. Vallorbe/Grobet needle files are the tits, and at least their saw files are (or at least were when I last bought some), quite reasonably priced.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

namlosh posted:

^^^^^^^
Nice… I did a few summers stripping, sealing and waxing floors with one of those. Sorry I can’t remember what we put on it or even if it would help if I did. We did mostly tile

Anyone who’s not aware: Be Careful… they may not look like much but it’ll put you into a wall easily if you snag something.

Anyway, I have a question: I don’t do a lot of stuff being in an apartment, but we do have a porch and last weekend I built a server rack using a hand saw, some hardware, and the cheapest 2x4s I could get at Home Depot. It’s pretty good and does the job but I have a question about sanding supplies. We have an orbital sander with the holes in the bottom to allow crap through. Seems it’s easy to find 3M pads for it everywhere.
Given my use cases and materials, what kind of grit pads should I keep on hand? I used 120, then 220 when those ran out. I didn’t notice a ton of difference between the finished product after using each. I’m mainly just trying to smooth out the cut and lessen the chances of splinters while building something with the wood.

Any recommendations? Do I even need 2 grits that close? For this use case, do people even take 2 passes?(rough grit/smoother grit)
Should I just grab a bunch of 220 (or 320?) and use that on this stuff?
What do you guys and/or gals do?

For smoothing out cuts I'd probably go with 60. 220 is final finish level, you definitely don't want to be using that on raw cuts, you'll chew through the pads. I keep 60, 120, and 320 on hand, and almost never use the 320

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

devicenull posted:

For smoothing out cuts I'd probably go with 60. 220 is final finish level, you definitely don't want to be using that on raw cuts, you'll chew through the pads. I keep 60, 120, and 320 on hand, and almost never use the 320

Awesome, thanks!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Pulled the trigger on a couple m18 tools so I guess I've bought into the red family.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

El Jebus posted:

Pulled the trigger on a couple m18 tools so I guess I've bought into the red family.

Welcome to the cool kids club :frogc00l:

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

SpartanIvy posted:

Welcome to the cool kids club :frogc00l:

or as the rest of us call it, Bauer Plus

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Originally focused on yard tools after having my mind changed on the ryobi polesaw, but now I'm looking at that new high torque...

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

El Jebus posted:

Black Friday deals at Home Depot start on the 23rd, might be worth returning and waiting a couple more weeks

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I've been thinking about getting the dewalt 20v chainsaw but nearly every review goes on about how it leaks bar oil constantly. I went searching to see if anybody actually solved the problem and there's lots of people saying to add an o-ring at the cap, though that doesn't seem to solve the issue for a lot of people. I finally came across a video where the guy tears down the whole saw to find the source of the leaking and it turns out they don't use any sealant where the oil tank attaches to the fittings like the fill cap and the hoses that bring the oil to the bar, etc. There's slight inconsistencies where the two halves of the moulding meet that make the surface not completely circular so it leaks at the fittings constantly depending on just how bad each tank is formed. The guy added some gasket sealer and it stopped leaking completely. The only down side is from the video it looks like a real pain to tear down the saw to that level. So many tiny parts that could potentially go flying.

Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOcs38FmNJw

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Are you new to chainsaws? Because ALL saws with bar oil leak bar oil everywhere without exception.

How big of a saw do you need? The baby ryobi (8") runs slow enough to not require bar oil. I've been happy with it as a trimming saw.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I don't really neeeeed a chainsaw. I already have a bunch of yellow batteries/tools though so it would be the logical one for me to get I guess. It would be nice just for cutting up branches and stuff that are too big for the pruners/loppers when they come down in storms and that kind of thing. I saw DeWalt has one of those little 6-8" saws too that doesn't use oil, though I think you have to spray it with something now and then?

And yeah I'm pretty new to chainsaws. Grew up around them but never actually used them.

As for the leaking oil, I know most saws leak some. But apparently the dewalt will basically empty its tank overnight if you let it sit. The manual even recommends draining the oil after every use. As a work around people have said if you store it on its side with the oil port facing up it doesn't leak nearly as much.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I have the Flexvolt version and can confirm it leaks a lot. I can also confirm that storing it with the fill cap facing up pretty much eliminates the leaking. I will also say that I absolutely love the tool and it's in my top 3 favorite cordless tools with my brad nailer and pruner.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I needed a chainsaw for some land clearing last week. Never used one before but the Stihl 170 I got for $200 is great. Starts easy and still running fine after using the crap out of it for a couple days straight. It doesn't really leak either.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Squibbles posted:

I don't really neeeeed a chainsaw. I already have a bunch of yellow batteries/tools

The only reason I have ryobi batteries is for this saw and it's companion pole saw. It's that compelling/priced right.

Guyver posted:

I needed a chainsaw for some land clearing last week. Never used one before but the Stihl 170 I got for $200 is great. Starts easy and still running fine after using the crap out of it for a couple days straight. It doesn't really leak either.

It's a Stihl, it will start leaking. Then you can go and clean it/mess with the oil pump/oiling port and it will not leak for a bit, then it will leak again once the temperature goes back up and stop once its empty.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I have the Milwaukee chainsaw and also their little mini chainsaw, and they both reside on what is now just The Oily Shelf

A solution I've found: just keep chopping up more stuff until you run out of oil. It's pretty fun

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Motronic posted:

The only reason I have ryobi batteries is for this saw and it's companion pole saw. It's that compelling/priced right.

It's a Stihl, it will start leaking. Then you can go and clean it/mess with the oil pump/oiling port and it will not leak for a bit, then it will leak again once the temperature goes back up and stop once its empty.
My Ryobi battery poo poo itself, only used in the pole saw. Cheaper to buy another pole saw...

My 10? yr old Stihl doesn't leak a drop, best saw I've ever owned or used with the exception of it's weight. The DeWalt saw has to be stored on its side with the oil fill facing up and it won't leak.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

The Top G posted:

Black Friday deals at Home Depot start on the 23rd, might be worth returning and waiting a couple more weeks

You mean buy more tools in a couple weeks! I bought the tools because I needed them now for projects. They were also already pretty well discounted, so I'll just hang onto them.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

SpeedFreek posted:

My Ryobi battery poo poo itself, only used in the pole saw. Cheaper to buy another pole saw...

My 10? yr old Stihl doesn't leak a drop, best saw I've ever owned or used with the exception of it's weight. The DeWalt saw has to be stored on its side with the oil fill facing up and it won't leak.
Battery out of warranty?
But yeah I yell at everyone to get the oil-free pole saw. It's just great to have a chainsaw or polesaw, even if they're lower powered short blade ones, that doesn't require oil. I usually link this write up:

BeAuMaN posted:

18V Ryobi One+ Oil-free Pole Saw w/ 8" saw blade + 1.5Ah Battery + Charger for $108
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P2510
If you also want the kit that has the seperate 8" hand/pruning chainsaw, that'll run you $150... but paying another $42 for the hand/pruning chainsaw isn't that hot of a deal imo:
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P20310

Two goons asked me to ping them on this. Yes, it is Oil-free. A chainsaw you don't have to oil! What foul magic is this? According to the sales rep in this video, Ryobi did some testing on solving the oil leaking problem, and they found if a chainsaw is running a chain slower than 5 meters/sec, then it doesn't need oil. That's why they don't have any big oil-free chainsaws, but these little guys. Anyhow, I yoinked one around Black Friday and used it on a tree and it worked fine. I think the chain came loose at a certain point, but otherwise it had no issues, cut just fine. Then I got hella sick and haven't used it since. Comes with battery and charger; the 1.5Ah is plenty of battery to deal with a few trees. So if you want a pole saw that's not going to leak oil and you can just toss it in your garage/tool closet when you're done, then get this. It doesn't come with a bag and the blade scabbard on it is poo poo. I turned to Amazon:
Greenworks Pole Saw Bag: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ID8838Q
It fits perfectly so that it doesn't have a bunch of extra room to jostle around. You can probably also find a tripod bag with similar dimensions.
Rando Chinese 8" - 12" Chainsaw Bar Cover
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09GMCRMC7
Works fine. I used this exact one but there's a bunch of these since it isn't anything special.
I haven't gotten to the point where I'm going to replace the chain with Oregon Chain yet but it's on my todo list.
Of course, there isn't a good sale right now, and it looks like the kit for the saw by itself is OOS. They have tool only but that price sucks imo.
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P2501BTL

Subscribe to DTO's mailing list since we're getting closer to Black Friday. I suspect it'll be.... 40% off? I think that's the usual Black Friday price. That'd drop the polesaw + minisaw kit down to $161.99. It'd be nice if they toss in free shipping too but we'll see.
Edit: Hmmmm... no last year it was 30% off, and 40% off factory reconditioned :argh:

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 11, 2023

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

edit: nvm

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
The Makita XCU04P also doesn't need oil and works awesome.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0777ZS4J5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Been super happy with it.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

The Makita XCU04P also doesn't need oil and works awesome.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0777ZS4J5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Been super happy with it.
When I said no oil, I meant no oil at all; no lubricating/bar oil. Unfortunately the trick that Ryobi used (by keeping the chain slower than 5 meters/sec) doesn't work on longer blades, or at least so far.

That does look like a nice chainsaw though.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

There's a 35% off + $5 flat rate shipping sale at DTO right now on almost everything:
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/search?facets=&query=&page=1&sorting=relevance&catalog=
valid through October 22, 2023 at 11:59pm EST

Reference: https://slickdeals.net/f/17001709-direct-tools-outlet-35-off-almost-everything-5-flat-rate-shipping?v=1

Sadly the pole saw I always mention is excluded from the sale and is only 15% off.

Based off previous history this is close to as good as it gets (unless the thing you're looking for is excluded), barring a 40% sale + free shipping or something. Though also make sure to sanity check the prices, since not all sale prices are equal. Check some previous prices and check home depot current prices.

Also allegedly going to be a Home Depot sale on Ryobi brushless stuff on October 23rd: https://slickdeals.net/f/16931932-p...-brushless-tool
It doesn't look bad.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 20, 2023

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Thanks for posting, I just picked up a 1 gallon sprayer. I love my 2 gallon so the 1g will be a nice addition.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Squibbles posted:

I've been thinking about getting the dewalt 20v chainsaw but nearly every review goes on about how it leaks bar oil constantly. I went searching to see if anybody actually solved the problem and there's lots of people saying to add an o-ring at the cap, though that doesn't seem to solve the issue for a lot of people. I finally came across a video where the guy tears down the whole saw to find the source of the leaking and it turns out they don't use any sealant where the oil tank attaches to the fittings like the fill cap and the hoses that bring the oil to the bar, etc. There's slight inconsistencies where the two halves of the moulding meet that make the surface not completely circular so it leaks at the fittings constantly depending on just how bad each tank is formed. The guy added some gasket sealer and it stopped leaking completely. The only down side is from the video it looks like a real pain to tear down the saw to that level. So many tiny parts that could potentially go flying.

Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOcs38FmNJw

It's worse than leaks. It just sprays that poo poo.

Also, have trouble finding chains that fit it. Standard Oregon chains don't fit this saw for some fuckin reason.

With a 6ah battery it does loving rip for awhile though.

Oh, chain tensioner is easy but loving comes loose all the fuckin time.

dr cum patrol esq fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 20, 2023

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

dev null posted:

It's worse than leaks. It just sprays that poo poo.

Also, have trouble finding chains that fit it. Standard Oregon chains don't fit this saw for some fuckin reason.

With a 6ah battery it does loving rip for awhile though.

Oh, chain tensioner is easy but loving comes loose all the fuckin time.

Would it be easier to find a chain if you put an Oregon bar on it? Or is the fitting something to do with the sprocket on the saw itself?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Squibbles posted:

Would it be easier to find a chain if you put an Oregon bar on it? Or is the fitting something to do with the sprocket on the saw itself?

Im not sure but I think it would work. Funny enough the DeWalt one says it's an Oregon bar.

The sprocket seems odd and you can take off the washer/guide that sits in top of the sprocket. It's really hard to get work with that washer there.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
The 20” flexvolt chainsaw is a Beast! It makes all my other cordless power tools feel like toys. It has proper metal felling spikes on both sides if the chain!

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

BeAuMaN posted:

Also allegedly going to be a Home Depot sale on Ryobi brushless stuff on October 23rd: https://slickdeals.net/f/16931932-p...-brushless-tool
It doesn't look bad.
This is live today:
https://slickdeals.net/f/16931932-l...-brushless-tool

Offer ends today I guess?

I ended up jumping on the 2x 4AH Batteries + Oil-free 6" handheld pruning chainsaw for $99. May or may not return the batteries and get the saw for $60.

disappointed though how they segregated the bonus tools. For some reason the HP saw is available with the 4AH non-HP batteries, but isn't available with the $200 kit w/ HP batteries.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Oct 23, 2023

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I picked up that lil' hand chainsaw. Works great. Real handy for trimming down all the suckers on the pyracantha.

Today I noticed on slickdeals that someone posted a DTO price tracker:
https://darn.tools/

Records seem to go back only to April 12th of this year, but it looks promising. With some more time it will be useful, but should function as a decent sanity check.
To use it, you plug in what you're looking for in search, either model number or tool name, and then double click the result you want from the dropdown. That will take you to the respective tool page
For instance, the Ryobi P3410 18V One+ Grease Gun
https://darn.tools/products.html?modelNumber=P3410

The lowest price on DTO has been $90 since April 12th. Which obviously makes the recent HD deal better, but having that price tracking will be nice.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Looking for a torque wrench/screwdriver that can handle very small torques, like 0.5 in/lb increments. I'm torquing bolts on circuit boards, typically in the 2-5 in/lb range.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 31, 2023

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Wera is what I usually see recommended that is anywhere near affordable.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

PRADA SLUT posted:

Looking for a torque wrench/screwdriver that can handle very small torques, like 0.5 in/lb increments. I'm torquing bolts on circuit boards, typically in the 2-5 in/lb range.

Something like this?

I use some at work in that range for tightening PMICs to heatsinks.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

PRADA SLUT posted:

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Wiha Torquevario screwdrivers are good.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

That scene makes a lot more sense when you realize that the Terminator was asking if there were weapons readily available in that time that could hurt it.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

kid sinister posted:

That scene makes a lot more sense when you realize that the Terminator was asking if there were weapons readily available in that time that could hurt it.

:monocle:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Are hvlp sprayers like this Wagner actually suitable for interior wall painting? (e.g., w behr marquee)

I realize they say it is but y’know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

For Milwaukee ecosystem folks, Home Depot is doing their "$200 for two 5ah batteries + a tool" deal again.

I don't think I need a grinder, but the light seems like it'd be nice, even if the price is inflated by $25