Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nightmare Cinema posted:

My mom forced me to watch the golden bachelor and I'm about to pour acid on my genitals and sand them off.

How bad is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
How the hell does Tubi have the amount of content that they do for free? It's like two or three major streaming services combined.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Shageletic posted:

How bad is it?

*shudders*

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Same reason (or justification) all the streamers have gone in on original content: the potential market of people who just want to watch old stuff does not grow or even change appreciably.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Tubi rocks

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Field Mousepad posted:

How the hell does Tubi have the amount of content that they do for free? It's like two or three major streaming services combined.
Basically when you're selling content to a streamer you have to ask yourself: Tubi, or not Tubi? That is the question.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I would give Tubi 30 bucks a month for the no ads version, and they won't take my money!!!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol gimme dets already

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Basically when you're selling content to a streamer you have to ask yourself: Tubi, or not Tubi? That is the question.

Booo!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Field Mousepad posted:

Ads pay more than subscriptions. It's why Prime is going entirely ad-supported.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Baron von Eevl posted:

They literally just reinvented syndication, it's really funny.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

You have to scroll past so much ad supported poo poo in the app now. It was already bad before this move.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They literally just reinvented syndication, it's really funny.

Everything old becomes new again I reckon

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Do you know how much an ad impression costs per viewer on Tubi or Amazon, or are you just talking out your rear end?

Also Prime is not going entirely ad supported, you can still buy your way out of it for 7 bucks a month.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Tubi's great yeah. I don't even mind the ads cuz they're just like one minute intermissions where I put the tv on mute and read/do some random chores/smoke a bowl.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Tubi's great yeah. I don't even mind the ads cuz they're just like one minute intermissions where I put the tv on mute and read/do some random chores/smoke a bowl.

the movie watcher community yearns for cable....

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Live action One Piece was really fun. I've never watched the anime or anything, but solid fun adventure show, leans way into the cartoonish elements at times but it's a vibe and well done.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

It really is where 90% of the things I want to watch pop up.

I am still working through Babylon 5 for the first time. Middle of watching season 1, it randomly dropped from Roku TV and showed up on Tubi.

I am almost at the end of season 4 now, and this show goes to some pretty interesting places. But overall really good. The interrogation episode was really good. And the Garbaldi reveal wasn’t super surprising, but done well.

The shadow war resolution seemed to get taken care of a little too quickly, but it wasn’t terrible. And I can definitely see it’s influence in some current sci-fi properties.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

gariBALdi

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Orvin posted:

I am still working through Babylon 5 for the first time. Middle of watching season 1, it randomly dropped from Roku TV and showed up on Tubi.

I am almost at the end of season 4 now, and this show goes to some pretty interesting places. But overall really good. The interrogation episode was really good. And the Garbaldi reveal wasn’t super surprising, but done well.

The shadow war resolution seemed to get taken care of a little too quickly, but it wasn’t terrible. And I can definitely see it’s influence in some current sci-fi properties.

Hahaha same, I’ve been watching it for the first time on Tubi but I’m only on S2

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I would give Tubi 30 bucks a month for the no ads version, and they won't take my money!!!

No ads, and something a little more HD. There's some trash TV on there that I enjoy, but it all feels like it's streaming a <480p

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I love Pluto and Roku Tv for having channels that are just 1 show. I can watch Trebek Jeopardy episodes 24/7, or price is right, or iron chef. It’s great.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Genuinely I could make a 30 Movies You Have To See Immediately list and every single one would be on Tubi rn. And I'd miss like 30 more. Kinda unsettling.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Tubi rules because it's a replacement vehicle for all the lovely action movies that you could only see on random basic cable channels in the 80s and 90s.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Do you know how much an ad impression costs per viewer on Tubi or Amazon, or are you just talking out your rear end?

Also Prime is not going entirely ad supported, you can still buy your way out of it for 7 bucks a month.

This is an unnecessarily aggressive response for some common sense poo poo.I don't have solid numbers nor do I have direct statements that pure-ad services pull better money than subscription-only services because those aren't easy to compare (per user? per view?) but here's an article referencing that Netflix makes more money per user on average from the lowest subscription plan plus ads than they do from no-ads premium subscribers. The fact that Amazon saw good enough numbers from their freevee platform to push that as the basic service for everyone and the fact that most of the major platform owners also own FAST services (Fox Corp owns Tubi, Paramount owns Pluto, Amazon as previously noted owns FreeVee) sure indicates that it's an extremely profitable revenue stream, enough to undercut their subscription platforms.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Genuinely I could make a 30 Movies You Have To See Immediately list and every single one would be on Tubi rn. And I'd miss like 30 more. Kinda unsettling.

Give us a few picks please, it doesn't have to be 30 or 60.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Tokelau All Star posted:

Give us a few picks please, it doesn't have to be 30 or 60.
I'll give it a shot. It's like diving into an abyss of great films. Here's a few (edit: this turned out to be a lie after 5 minutes but I really could just go forever) off the surface.

The Happiness of the Katakuris
The Legend of the Stardust Brothers
The Wolf House
The Reflecting Skin
The Hudsucker Proxy
Magnificent Warriors
Lady Vengeance
Cosmopolis
Audition
The Proposition
Woman at War
A Single Man
Aguirre: The Wrath of God
Suspiria
Kikujiro
Mother
The Swimmer
Tales From the Hood
The Fate of Lee Khan
Gloria
American Movie
Threads
Amores Perros
The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser

also there's just like...a host of Herzog, Miike, Takeshi Kitano, James Gray, Paul Schrader, etc etc etc and more obvious stuff like They Live, Heathers, Evil Dead 2, But I'm a Cheerleader, Point Break...random insanity like From Beyond, The Exorcist III, May, Sightseers, The Evil Within (the insane movie made by Andrew Getty), Robocop 2, Battle Royale, Mandy, Bronson, Enter the Void, Beyond the Black Rainbow, and some Satoshi Kon (Paprika, Tokyo Godfathers).
gently caress I need to stop.
and you can watch Columbo FOREVER!!!

also i'll just constantly find random movies i've been looking for but somehow eluded my earlier Tubi searches. just added Onoda: 10,000 Nights in the Jungle to my list. just noticed they had the Tom Hardy Capone too...heard that was bad, but gently caress it

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Baron von Eevl posted:

This is an unnecessarily aggressive response for some common sense poo poo.I don't have solid numbers nor do I have direct statements that pure-ad services pull better money than subscription-only services because those aren't easy to compare (per user? per view?) but here's an article referencing that Netflix makes more money per user on average from the lowest subscription plan plus ads than they do from no-ads premium subscribers. The fact that Amazon saw good enough numbers from their freevee platform to push that as the basic service for everyone and the fact that most of the major platform owners also own FAST services (Fox Corp owns Tubi, Paramount owns Pluto, Amazon as previously noted owns FreeVee) sure indicates that it's an extremely profitable revenue stream, enough to undercut their subscription platforms.

It's not extremely profitable so much as it's reliably profitable, which is more important. Many of these businesses have zero fundamentals, they straight up change what their product is supposed to be on a whim. It was easier for Netflix to get away with this when it was the only game in town.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
While we're asking for movie lists, who's got a good list of streaming horror movies across all the services?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

1glitch0 posted:

While we're asking for movie lists, who's got a good list of streaming horror movies across all the services?

This has a bunch I haven’t seen yet, might go down the list
https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/22725152/best-horror-movies-netflix-amazon-prime-hulu-hbo

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Watched on Tubi recently:
Winter Kills
just finished this...70s paranoid political thriller ala The Conversation and The Parallax View. Not as good as those but pretty drat good. Young Jeff Bridges...Sterling Hayden, Eli Wallach, Toshiro Mifune, and Anthony Perkins (with a great lil mini-Network style monologue) in supporting roles...but the pièce de résistance, John Huston chewing the gently caress out of the scenery as a character that is essentially Joe Kennedy.

Brian De Palma's Redacted
I get why people rag on this (I think it's a bit facile to call it a retread of Casualties of War, that and the on the nose dialogue and archetypes are part of the point) but it's the closest an American has ever come to making an honest film about the Iraq War (and they tried to redact Redacted!).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

1glitch0 posted:

Terrifier 2 on tubi

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Thanks that's exactly what I was trying to find but couldn't for some reason. Just a nice good jumping off point for the month!

CelticPredator posted:

Terrifier 2 on tubi

What about Terrifier 1?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s there but it’s not as good imO

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I would like to rescind my previous harsh assessment of Wes Anderson's Netflix shorts to say the others are much less grating because they're only 17 minutes long and only feature one main narrator with a few brief interjections of Fiennes-as-Dahl instead of five narrators going one after the other

'Poison' is the standout, and the only subject matter that really benefits from the format, but the other two are...fine. They're fine.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The Swan was awful. Having an adult narrator stand in for the child protagonist for most of it and flatly monalogue at the camera the whole time, completely defangs what on the page is one of the most frightening things Dahl ever wrote.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

High Warlord Zog posted:

The Swan was awful. Having an adult narrator stand in for the child protagonist for most of it and flatly monalogue at the camera the whole time, completely defangs what on the page is one of the most frightening things Dahl ever wrote.

I mean they all (including Asteroid City lol) have the problem of a flat monologue removing any tension or emotion but in that case the cruelty described was so extreme I think a bit of separation actually helped it a bit. On the flipside, the Ratcatcher is so goofy that leaning into the farce was fine, and Poison is easily the best because they actually do acting and like, blocking and moving around and stuff like a real movie

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Watching the new TMNT movie on Paramount+ with my kids, and hey this is pretty good. Interesting look, good soundtrack, De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest; MOP - Ante Up was a surprisingly hard choice for this kids movie.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Ante up is a banger, not sure how it works in a pg-13 movie seeing it's about robbing people and whatnot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Night Agent on Netflix is implausible and overcomplicated and I liked it.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 3, 2023