Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

withak posted:

:love:

Whatever happens with this show I hope we get a spinoff prequel set in the Second Age following around Lanfear.

Hey she's still out there in the 4th Age, and Rand is ripe for some more Mierin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Lanfear advising her grad students in the lead up to their thesis defense.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Lanfear is kind of fascinating because I feel like an area that most stories would give a lot of narrative weight to (ie that she's literally the one that personally drilled the bore into the DO's prison) is kind of ignored/superfluous? Especially with how it ties into her being arguably the single most important person at the end of the Second Age who never earned the honorary 3rd name that the culture valued.

Like even before she went full evil she was still a head researcher at the most advanced and prestigious research institute in the world, and was moving socially in the same circles as golden boy Lews Therin.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

pseudorandom name posted:

Lanfear applying for a research grant.

Lanfear submitting a proposal for the use of the high energy magic facility.

Lanfear advising her grad students in the lead up to their thesis defense.

Lanfear arguing with the research ethics committee that her proposal is totally acceptable

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

DarkHorse posted:

Lanfear arguing with the research ethics committee that her proposal is totally acceptable

lmao

https://i.imgur.com/VCwUPor.mp4

Barreft fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 3, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Seinfeld but the Forsaken before they became Forsaken is the only Seinfeld i'd watch.

DarkHorse posted:

Wasn't it Aginor who was all "HOW CAN I RESEARCH DEAD CIVILIZATIONS IF YOU WON'T LET ME KILL CIVILIZATIONS?!?!"

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

CainFortea posted:

Seinfeld but the Forsaken before they became Forsaken is the only Seinfeld i'd watch.

Wasn't it Aginor who was all "HOW CAN I RESEARCH DEAD CIVILIZATIONS IF YOU WON'T LET ME KILL CIVILIZATIONS?!?!"

Aginor was definitely a "gotta break a few eggs" type of scientist, dude loved his work (creating horrible monstrosities and abominations blending animal and human in a vicious mockery of creation)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

DarkHorse posted:

Aginor was definitely a "gotta break a few eggs" type of scientist, dude loved his work (creating horrible monstrosities and abominations blending animal and human in a vicious mockery of creation)

I loved the anecdote of him testing several Myrddraal to death trying to figure out how the gently caress they could teleport between shadows

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Boris Galerkin posted:

As a show only watcher I just assumed that what’s her name the slave driver was also a witch like egwene /the pacifier sucking witches. Just that they weren’t enslaved* because they belonged to a higher social caste or whatever. I was kinda under the impression that the enslaved witches were nothing more than mana batteries, if you will, to amplify their own power.

*Actually I was thinking that they were also enslaved as well, just in a different way. They were given the whip to hold but they were still whipped into subservience by someone else.

That’s not how it works. Are you asking for clarification?

Maybe you should read the books since you seem to have a bunch of assumptions about the story that are all incorrect. Or watch the show and be surprised, they are doing a pretty good job with it.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I loved the anecdote of him testing several Myrddraal to death trying to figure out how the gently caress they could teleport between shadows

My favorite moment is in the Demandred in Shara story (forget what it’s called). He’s going for whatever macguffin’ in the cave and came across one of those monsters that grow if you hit it with the one power. He goes on a short rant about how he can’t stand Aginor because of how just plain weird and creepy he is. I think another forsaken does the same at one point.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Finally had a chance to catch up on ep 6 and 7, and my verdict is "meh". I think most of the actors are doing good to great, but like 3/4ths of the revised plots just make me shrug my shoulders.

Egwene's the only part that actually seems decent, showing the slow progress of damane training and then the little reveal of the blue ajah sitter. Her spirit bomb in ep 7 waking up a sleeping cat made me laugh.

Lanfear+Ishamael are good, but only as characters because the plots they're involved with don't make much sense. They feel way too involved and out in the open, but I'm conflicted about it because I like watching them personally even if they're in a dumb scene.

Mat and Min have accomplished nothing. They tried replacing aspects of the Portal Stone with some random Age of Legends tea that just seems like it fuckin sucks to drink.

The stuff with Ryma/the girls was dumb, from Nynaeve's screw up with the a'dam and then immediate full understanding of it, to the way the fight with Ryma and her Warder went. The suldam just sat around being useless and not countering the weaves that were killing them one by one? Maybe it's just a side-effect of how they're showing the One Power to be in battle vs the books, since it seems that channelers mostly just cast spells now instead of weaving individual elements together to make effects which can be cut apart by experienced channelers. Most of the time it's just a generic magic blast that instantly incapacitates people.

Perrin and Aviendha accomplished very little but at least they introduced toh and hand talk, I guess. I did always think of hand talk as smaller gestures that could be done with one hand, but I guess that'd be harder to show in a tv series.

The Gitara scene sucked.

Lan's "showing Rand how to face the Amyrlin" was a sliver of what it should have been, and was overshadowed by them having a big shouting match about being the Dragon in front of a bunch of schlub White Tower guards. What a secret!

The costumes are great though. They should win all the Emmys for costume design.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

49 episodes left!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Fwiw the 2023 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine just went to the pair of people whose work made mRNA vaccines possible. One of whom made the discovery in 2005, was denied tenure at her institution, and was eventually let go by 2013. After she did the Nobel-winning work.

We were this close to Mierin Eronaile, if Katarin Karikó had only done high-energy physics research and not medicine.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Some Black Mesa Gordon Freeman poo poo right there

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Some powerful "Why are all things I'm so good at boring as poo poo?" energy there.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Pleads posted:

Lan's "showing Rand how to face the Amyrlin" was a sliver of what it should have been, and was overshadowed by them having a big shouting match about being the Dragon in front of a bunch of schlub White Tower guards. What a secret!

Oh so I wasn't alone in reacting to that. Like holy poo poo dudes watch your loving mouths what the hell?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That's hints of what Perrin does in front of that fuckin Ilianer innkeeper in TDR, I wonder if that was deliberate

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

enigma105 posted:

It's pretty much "wrap them in weaves of air" from the books, but more visual. Just haven't gotten earplugs or eye masks yet.

We got earplugs in season 1 while Logain was captured. Not visually, but someone told Moiraine that it was safe to talk in front of him.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

CainFortea posted:

If you treat the show and books as a story instead of just a bunch of boxes to check of set pieces it's pretty clear that Rand is much closer where he is at the end of book 3 than the end of book 2. Also Mat actually is a character at this point instead of being a plot device like he is for the first 2 books.

There is a lot of the TDR character growth and narrative present in the show, as well at TGH.
How so? A big part of Rand's character arc in TGH is to learn to be a leader. He hasn't done that at all in season 2.

His TDR arc is that he decides to face his destiny for the first time, and goes off on his own to do so (off screen). He has done the opposite of that so far in season 2, aside from going off on his own.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
Perhaps Rand deciding to face his destiny by himself (or near enough), and then learning to become a leader is a more coherent arc than the other way around?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

All that happening in one episode?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Look, expecting people to read the books, then write the episodes, is a big ask. What if we tried it the other way round?—Amazon Executives discussing WoT.

A lot of the self owns are hilarious but this show would have been done if not for Natasha and Fares putting it on their backs and chugging along. 3000 pages and I’m back to this, indeed.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The writers have read the books though?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

silvergoose posted:

The writers have read the books though?

The writers are pretty consistently showing a far better understanding and knowledge of the source material than most people complaining about it.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

unironically yes

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
It would be kind of fun if the show did cold openings at some point showing why all the Forsaken turned to the Dark. Half of them are Lews Therin—the Chosen One and prophesied Savior—being a gigantic asshat, and the other half are mundane things that TV viewers could absolutely relate to: being passed over for promotion, not having your work recognized for the value you see in it, feeling the crushing burden of an eternal and uncaring universe, etc. And then there’s Aginor, who just wanted to run his own little Nazi lab experiments and got pissed when his IRB said it was banned on grounds of ethics.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

CainFortea posted:

The writers are pretty consistently showing a far better understanding and knowledge of the source material than most people complaining about it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CainFortea posted:

How so?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i want a lanfear spinoff but styled as a dramedy as she gets dumped by lews and turns to the shadow in the vein of fleabag

CainFortea posted:

very true

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I'm not saying that the show's writers don't know things, but I am saying that they decided it was a good idea to invent and then immediately fridge a wife for Perrin.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Randland is a land of contrasts

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Grundulum posted:

It would be kind of fun if the show did cold openings at some point showing why all the Forsaken turned to the Dark. Half of them are Lews Therin—the Chosen One and prophesied Savior—being a gigantic asshat, and the other half are mundane things that TV viewers could absolutely relate to: being passed over for promotion, not having your work recognized for the value you see in it, feeling the crushing burden of an eternal and uncaring universe, etc. And then there’s Aginor, who just wanted to run his own little Nazi lab experiments and got pissed when his IRB said it was banned on grounds of ethics.

Honestly it never really seemed like Lews Therin was an rear end (or the prophesized Savior). He was just the guy who was kind of effortlessly just slightly better than you at everything and Demandred/Sammael/Rahvin got incredibly pissed off because they kept directly trying to measure up.

bio347 posted:

I'm not saying that the show's writers don't know things, but I am saying that they decided it was a good idea to invent and then immediately fridge a wife for Perrin.

She wasn't invented out of complete whole cloth, Leila does get a throwaway mention in TSR as someone Perrin might have married if he'd stayed in the Two Rivers. Its just they handled it in the stupidest possible way after that kind of seed was planted.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

bio347 posted:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
like the intention seems to be that they wanted Leila to show one of the possibilities the books point out as a divergence point. And then fumble it massively by immediately fridging her and giving Perrin the godawful love triangle poo poo with Egwene and Rand as his Season 1 plot

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

the fridging, like a lot of the questionable characterization choices, was just another symptom of amazon deciding this show would only be 8 eps per season. the show has a huge cast, a lot of moving parts, and the entire main cast needs identity. it's a parsimonious way of giving perrin guilt and sets the scene for his future theme of violence vs. passivity. yeah it sucked it happened so fast but i certainly don't know what they could've done better to get across that same internal conflict in the very first episode.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CainFortea posted:

The choice of using the jug for Egwene's damane training was a fine example

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
There wasn't a love triangle. Nyneave was just stirring the pot.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Health Services posted:

There wasn't a love triangle. Nyneave was just stirring the pot.

I mean Leila also gets on his case about it in episode 1. Its doesn't really go anywhere but its definitely a weird throughline and like Perrin's only consistent plotline in season 1.

Zore fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 3, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I live how immediately after this question is asked, an example is presented.

Not only was Laila not invented out of whole cloth, but also used to show (not tell) why he doesn't look for fights.

But then right after that we get someone talking about the "love triangle" that book watchers invented to complain about the show.

That whole thing was nyneave feeling insecure and stirring up poo poo to deflect from that. Which is a thing that she does in the books. And finally a hearty lol at people complaining about how dare there be a love triangle in the wheel of time. Books got more triangles than Pythagoras

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I dont think anyone especially liked the love triangles in the books, just look at how ppl rolled their eyes with the Berelain/Faile stuff. Inclusion of elements borrowed from the books isn't an automatic emblem of quality.

There are plenty of stuff not in the books that are in the show that are actually pretty interesting, the latest of which is Egwene's training.

But what people are reacting to are decisions of the creators to include and invent whole cloth elements, like Laila's introduction, which was pretty much the "look at this wonderful female character, now say hello to her grave!" plotpoint that people make fun of all time. Because, rightly, it's seen as a cheap and awkward way to gain sympathy and bolted on complexity to a character that would be better developed organically.

Like if the point is to show that Perrin dislikes violence, maybe show that through his actions? Expression of inner character motivation doesn't need fridged women, else every prestige TV show would double its cast list to include all the murdered significant others

We're at the end of two seasons here, and I still can't think of a standout scene or moment.

E: oh just thought of one. I liked what they did with Nynaeve's Accepted test.