Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Shy: Has a lot of cool style, I love the pops of color with the Ben Day dots in the background, all that stuff looks fantastic. I'm usually kind of eh on superhero stuff and I also wasn't into the depression arc as a character intro but there's the potential for this to go places and I want to see more.

Also the little Snivy shrimp mascot guy owns.

Migi and Dali: This is a bizarre horror comedy where a couple adopts one child that's actually a pair of twins and one of them is always hiding, and they do contrived situational comedy with this. There were a couple of good laughs but I was mostly just bewildered. If someone's familiar with the manga I'm curious if this goes anywhere compelling or if it's just a series of comic setups based on the premise.

Ron Kamonohashi's Forbidden Deductions: It's Sherlock Holmes, except after solving the case Sherlock mind controls his victims to make them commit suicide and the Watson saves them because he has the power of naive dumbass anime character energy. Seems fine, I don't know if I'll bother with more.

symbolic posted:

also Spirit ftw

i was going to make a joke about this being your new favorite character but you beat me to the punch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Southern Cassowary posted:

i was going to make a joke about this being your new favorite character but you beat me to the punch

i'm going to beat you to death with a minecraft brick

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

i'm going to beat you to death with a minecraft brick

lmfao

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Migi and Dali: This is a bizarre horror comedy where a couple adopts one child that's actually a pair of twins and one of them is always hiding, and they do contrived situational comedy with this. There were a couple of good laughs but I was mostly just bewildered. If someone's familiar with the manga I'm curious if this goes anywhere compelling or if it's just a series of comic setups based on the premise.
It becomes more of a thriller and less a comedy as it nears the end and there's definitely a plot. It never stops having very weird characters though.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 2, 2023

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
it's the same mangaka who did Sakamoto Desu Ka?, so if your familiar with that it has the same kind of tone, imo

(also she passed away in august, she was only 36 :smith:)

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Apraxin posted:

it's the same mangaka who did Sakamoto Desu Ka?, so if your familiar with that it has the same kind of tone, imo

(also she passed away in august, she was only 36 :smith:)

Stuff like that and the author of Ah My Sweet Alien and Kentaro Miura passing away are you know that this is the "Bad Timeline".

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I favor the Villainess 1 sure was rough visually but also carried by great sieyuu performances and...a kids show energy I wasn't quite expecting. Maybe it was Rae's seiyuu channeling her Pripara stuff cause it reminded me of that

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ez8lm9I26Y

Peak is on the menu, lads

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I favor the Villainess 1 sure was rough visually but also carried by great sieyuu performances and...a kids show energy I wasn't quite expecting. Maybe it was Rae's seiyuu channeling her Pripara stuff cause it reminded me of that

Yeah it was a bunch of fun. It's also pretty funny how they skipped over the isekai explanation and just went 'she blinked and was suddenly living in the game, don't worry about it'

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I Favor the Villainess is being carried by the jokes and the voice actors for sure, because the art isn't doing it any favors. I liked it, but goddamn, the o-hime laugh is going to annoy the poo poo out of me if I constantly hear it.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Ossan VRMMO first few minutes hitting too close to home

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GateOfD posted:

Ossan VRMMO first few minutes hitting too close to home

It's the middest of mid isekais (I guess it's not actually an isekai, just a VRMMO show)

A gamer starts playing a popular VRMMO but chooses the least popular/most useless skills to discourage others from asking him to join their team, such as [potion making] when potions are already super abundant and cheap. Surprise, the game is updated and now potions are really hard to find so everyone needs his crafting skills! Also he takes those weak combat abilities and combines them in an extremely normal and unimaginative way which apparently no one else has ever thought of trying and now they're surprisingly powerful!

It's somewhat similar to BOFURI: I Don’t Want to Get Hurt, so I’ll Max Out My Defense but with much less charm

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's the middest of mid isekais (I guess it's not actually an isekai, just a VRMMO show)

A gamer starts playing a popular VRMMO but chooses the least popular/most useless skills to discourage others from asking him to join their team, such as [potion making] when potions are already super abundant and cheap. Surprise, the game is updated and now potions are really hard to find so everyone needs his crafting skills! Also he takes those weak combat abilities and combines them in an extremely normal and unimaginative way which apparently no one else has ever thought of trying and now they're surprisingly powerful!

It's somewhat similar to BOFURI: I Don’t Want to Get Hurt, so I’ll Max Out My Defense but with much less charm

The manga is ok because while it does hit a lot of cliches, it tends to be more mellow and has introspective moments which are a rarity in the VRMMO genre. So in that regards it can be a nice change of pace from the ones where the MC is always the most special and awesome player around (though he is still pretty special).

Oh and gently caress his bow though.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i play archers in mmos
:O

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GateOfD posted:

i play archers in mmos
:O

Ooh, easy pickings

I challenge you to a PvP duel!!! In front of the entire town!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
If you play a ranged class in an MMO, then you are a coward. :colbert:

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Shy: Not a bad first episode, animation looks okay and some well-executed jokes. Still, I remember the manga as visually impressive but narratively underwhelming, so not all that stoked.

Shangri-la: A few good faces and some neat animation, but the 10+ minutes dedicated to explaining game mechanics were boring as poo poo. Might give it one more episode to see where it goes.

Frieren. More like "So-so no Frieren". Just kidding it's good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pan Dulce posted:

I Favor the Villainess is being carried by the jokes and the voice actors for sure, because the art isn't doing it any favors. I liked it, but goddamn, the o-hime laugh is going to annoy the poo poo out of me if I constantly hear it.

Weak

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
For me the weirdest thing about Shy is that it's set in a quasi-utopia future world where all wars have ended and tech is more advanced than the present but DVD rental stores have somehow made a comeback

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

For me the weirdest thing about Shy is that it's set in a quasi-utopia future world where all wars have ended and tech is more advanced than the present but DVD rental stores have somehow made a comeback

Maybe that's the essential element

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

You can tell it's the future because they've finally upgraded from VHS stores to DVD stores.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fangz posted:

Maybe that's the essential element
I guess you could make an argument that streaming/the internet (which killed home media rentals) directly leads to the downfall of human civilization so that tracks

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Worth it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Berserk of Gluttony episode 1: highly derivative fantasy series, very mid. Not terrible but nothing special so far.

It's set in a fantasy/medieval world where everyone has RPG stats and are born with a special skill which pretty much determines their standing in life. The protag Fate was born with the skill 'gluttony' which makes him feel hungry all the time and seems more like a curse than an ability so he's the lowest of the low and is remorselessly bullied by his employers, three corrupt 'holy knights'. One day he realises that his skill lets him 'steal' skills and abilities from whoever he kills in battle (at the expense of never gaining XP) so he grinds a bunch of low level monsters and immediately grows super powerful even though he's perpetually stuck at Level 1. He also discovers that his rare gluttony skill "defies divine law" and he'll be in big trouble if anyone finds out about it.

If you're looking for a no-brainer fantasy series you can leave running in the background while you do other stuff then BoG has you covered!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

if vinyl can,

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Frieren was amazing. Glad they gave us so many episodes for me to latch onto. Even more grateful for the YOASOBI opening. Holy poo poo, that song has been on repeat on my Spotify.

Kinda hope The Apothecary Diaries has similar luck in its OP/ED.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
I enjoyed Overtake Ep 1, really fast introduction to what the heck F4 is, and some side plot stuff related to the photographer's PTSD. Hopefully the next episodes have more going on and more racing.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I'm In Love With The Villainess had a funny first episode, but as much as I like ojousama-types, Claire's mannerisms were starting to grate on me by the end. It's good, it's just too much after a while. I haven't read the LN (only thing I've heard about it was the translation removing portions) so don't know if it gets past just being comedy into actual development of the relationship, and also hoping with a one cour run it doesn't end at a point that forces you to go finish it via the source material.
Also I want more Misha.

Frieren I've been taking slow so I still have one more episode from the initial drop to watch, but I love the backgrounds and the storytelling so far. Wish the character models were a bit softer (like closer to 90s era lines), they really stand out against the painterly backdrops. A standalone fantasy world with a long history and worldbuilding is refreshing when most are isekai these days. However, I dislike the OP very much as it doesn't fit with the vibe of the series at all - YOASOBI songs for me tend to either be "I really like it" (Yoru ni Kakeru, Kaibutsu) or "I really hate it" (Idol, Yuusha). At least the ED is great.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Paradox Live: In a cyberpunk-style future, rappers use jewelry made of a special metal that makes people trip balls to give shows with psychedelic imagery. In practice this seems to be just making a CG phoenix fly around a lot.

I think there's almost something here - the aesthetic and character designs are pretty cool - but it doesn't seem like there's a lot of substance past getting together groups of guys to rap and, in the kiss of death, both of the songs they showed weren't very good.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Demon Sword Master of Excalibur Academy seems alrite.
i skipped the last few types of this series in the past few seasons, don't mind adding this into the rotation of my watches this season.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I watched Shangri-La because someone posted a pic of the protagonist as a bird man and I found it pretty fun even though I've never really enjoyed game related animes before. The presentation is energetic and fun.

Frieren is great as expected.

Looking forward to Daigo...maybe it will be 2023's Rescue Wings.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

I watched Shangri-La because someone posted a pic of the protagonist as a bird man and I found it pretty fun even though I've never really enjoyed game related animes before. The presentation is energetic and fun.

SLF is about 50% "this is a fun video games" and 50% "these are fun video game players having fun" and you know what? It works. It's just nice.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
gonna try frieren, s-rank, and maybe a racing show and some trashy yuri.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Watched why Shy yesterday. was pretty drat boring? Maybe I'll watch 3 episodes and see if the aliens or whatever are cool but so far big meh

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tabletops posted:

Watched why Shy yesterday. was pretty drat boring? Maybe I'll watch 3 episodes and see if the aliens or whatever are cool but so far big meh

fail

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

SLF works because it isn't Sunraku stumbling rear end backwards into the most broken build in the game that no one plays for no discernable reason while insisting he's just there to have a chill time. It centers Sunraku's pride and skill and gives him drive while not pretending that it's a high stakes life and death situation. Because of that it's a good time even when the game details get a bit wonky.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Nihilarian posted:

SLF works because it isn't Sunraku stumbling rear end backwards into the most broken build in the game that no one plays for no discernable reason while insisting he's just there to have a chill time. It centers Sunraku's pride and skill and gives him drive while not pretending that it's a high stakes life and death situation. Because of that it's a good time even when the game details get a bit wonky.

Yeah, he's a guy who is fantastic at video games, and there are also other people that are fantastic at video games, and they have fun with video games, and there is deeper stuff with NPCS and AI that is building in the background. This episode was a relatively slow one if they are gonna have the BIG PAYOUT indicated in the trailers, since it only covered the first chapter, it is gonna heat up and the eating should be good for viewers.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Paradox Live: In a cyberpunk-style future, rappers use jewelry made of a special metal that makes people trip balls to give shows with psychedelic imagery. In practice this seems to be just making a CG phoenix fly around a lot.

I think there's almost something here - the aesthetic and character designs are pretty cool - but it doesn't seem like there's a lot of substance past getting together groups of guys to rap and, in the kiss of death, both of the songs they showed weren't very good.

Sounds like Hypnosis Mic (whose S2 is also this season).

That's a series I remember that came out on the wave of VR type isekais that SAO had started but before they were largely shut out by full fantasy isekai like KonoSuba.I think I picked it up when scanalations were first coming out for it (6+ years ago?) and though it was bland and cliche even then. I can't imagine how much worse it seems in TYOOL 2023 when so many series have come and gone that have used the premise of "MC exploits mechanics/skills to become broken in a way that somehow no one else discovered" in ways that are at least interesting or novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

idk, it wasn't BAD it just didn't seem fresh or new at all and mostly walked extremely tread ground. the animation was pretty mid and the character designs were uhh, ok i guess