Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

homeless snail posted:

are there any infinity train psychos? I think maybe I could manage that

My vague memory of Infinity Train was that seasons 1 and 2 were pretty neat. The ending of season 3 pissed me off greatly. And season 4 was a big slab of nothing happens. And then it was cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Srice posted:

Been able to gradually make some more progress over the past few months on getting through all of 2022's anime movies. Not as quickly as I'd like but between a few vacations and some life-changing events, well, sometimes life comes at you fast. Anyways, just some quick takes:

Tsurune: The First Shot - Was surprised to find out that this is a compilation movie, given how it's edited in a way that made me assume it was a sequel. Even as a liker of sports anime this didn't do much for me. It made me think about how a lot of my enjoyment of Free was less because of how it handled the writing for the sport itself and more because of its colorful cast and high energy. This is to say that I found the archery competitions boring and the movie itself was cut together in such a way as to make most of the character motivations come off as too vague for me to connect with, and with how seriously it takes itself I found that to be an impediment. Alas.

It being a comp film for the first season is where I'd lay a lot of the weaknesses. Despite the team sports framing, it was a season largely focused on Minato as a single character, and only explored a few other characters through their connections to him. I also came away not really getting archery as a sport and feeling unsatisfied by the progression/success of Kazemai because of that. S2 alleviated basically all of those issues by actually exploring the existing ensemble and even throwing in some interesting new rivals who exist outside the dominant tradition and class status of the sport. Aesthetically I still get a bit tired of their common visual motifs/metaphors in the competition scenes, but when it comes to straight up animating the shots and sound design for that it feels even more effective than S1.

quote:

Backflip!! The Movie - Not having seen the tv series the structure of the movie was what stuck out to me. That the big tournament is swiftly handled in the first act and then the rest of the movie is dealing with what comes next, particularly for the graduating seniors. Not a new topic for a sports anime to tackle but making it the crux of a movie is novel enough - particularly since unlike a lot of sports anime that asks these questions, there isn't exactly a wide range of opportunities for men's rhythmic gymnastics compared to something like baseball. It's interesting enough to convince me to check out the tv series proper someday. The cast all feel like they're working with familiar archetypes but not so much as to come off as rote. And heck, sometimes that's all a sports anime needs.

Agreed on this being a pretty nice movie that felt novel enough in execution even if the topic isn't really. I think the movie also benefits from needing to get to a point, so the character archetypes you're picking up on don't have time to grate. When it comes to the series, that and the direction of the ending were big things that cooled my opinion on it, but there's still some significant highlights in its run.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

haypliss posted:

It being a comp film for the first season is where I'd lay a lot of the weaknesses. Despite the team sports framing, it was a season largely focused on Minato as a single character, and only explored a few other characters through their connections to him. I also came away not really getting archery as a sport and feeling unsatisfied by the progression/success of Kazemai because of that. S2 alleviated basically all of those issues by actually exploring the existing ensemble and even throwing in some interesting new rivals who exist outside the dominant tradition and class status of the sport. Aesthetically I still get a bit tired of their common visual motifs/metaphors in the competition scenes, but when it comes to straight up animating the shots and sound design for that it feels even more effective than S1.

That's good to hear. It's possible I'll take a look at the series proper at some point since when put that way that second season definitely sounds more palatable to me.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Howdy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best ep of tsurune is the single ep in s2 thats focused on the girls in the club and them basically just having their own story thats entirely separate from the guys and you only get scant details of even in their focus ep

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

how's it going

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i'm gonna go get a slice or two of pizza. and then i may watch frieren or s-rank

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

It goes

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I’ve taken 7 poops today. This is like how goku feels when he takes the weights off

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the dumpdate

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

the best ep of tsurune is the single ep in s2 thats focused on the girls in the club and them basically just having their own story thats entirely separate from the guys and you only get scant details of even in their focus ep

The girls were mega funny for how ancillary they were in s1. Like s1 gave random asides about how they’re competing at a tournament too but only show them cheering randomly or something

Why are they being written in if you don’t wanna use them lol

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

As expected, they have their own stories and screen time that was cut in the LNs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Namtab posted:

I’ve taken 7 poops today. This is like how goku feels when he takes the weights off

Get some fibre gummies mate

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
If you make it to 10 in one day a guy comes to your house and hands you a giant check

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

kirbysuperstar posted:

Get some fibre gummies mate

the diet thread just had a hilarious meltdown about psyllium husk but the guy has unfortunately edited out all his fiber spreadsheets

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

starting to get a visceral reaction when reading "symphonic metal cover"

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Megamissen posted:

starting to get a visceral reaction when reading "symphonic metal cover"

positive or negative

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Namtab posted:

where do you store them all?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Meowywitch posted:

where do you store them all?

The British are just hollow skin suits that fill with poop over time.

The saying "You're full of poo poo." originated there for a reason.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

kill la kill is 10 years old now

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Arc Hammer posted:

I've never watched Steven Universe.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i will admit that mako deserves her tremendous husband, if that is what she desires. shes good

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Southern Cassowary posted:

the diet thread just had a hilarious meltdown about psyllium husk but the guy has unfortunately edited out all his fiber spreadsheets

i eat fibre i just think i might be allergic to pizza hut spicy chicken tenders

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
mf got hut butt

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ohtori Akio posted:

mf got hut butt

this....

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Southern Cassowary posted:

positive or negative

very negative

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Megamissen posted:

very negative

the correct response

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Re: food once, I tried the spicy chicken at Popeyes and I couldn't taste the spice but my mouth still burned. Can someone help me figure this out

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

Re: food once, I tried the spicy chicken at Popeyes and I couldn't taste the spice but my mouth still burned. Can someone help me figure this out

that means you tasted teh spicy

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

says here thats a symptom of hiv, the virus that causes aids

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

symbolic posted:

that means you tasted teh spicy

Idk it seemed bland to me

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

https://www.twitch.tv/tha_swizzler saw is live. verbal enema is fighting to becone a necromancer

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
So, is MFG made by the Initial D guy too? Cause it has a similar facial style, at least to my recollection.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It is literally the sequel

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

homeless snail posted:

are there any infinity train psychos? I think maybe I could manage that

im pretty sure there are, On Line.

also i really liked new she ra and su future lots...... they were pog too!! never saw infinity train but it seemed nice :)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Waffleman_ posted:

It is literally the sequel

Oh, cool. Wasn't sure, since it's in a future where only racing cars use gas, or something.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, the protagonist was trained by Takumi.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Namtab posted:

i eat fibre i just think i might be allergic to pizza hut spicy chicken tenders

who among us isn't

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I got the covid booster and the flu shot earlier today and feel great. This certainly won't bite me in the rear end tomorrow morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Hey is it safe to take painkillers every single day