Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

They're touring bikes with an off road aesthetic. Not my cup of tea but it's comprehensible. Unlike an H-D which aims to do everything as badly as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Apart from the kickstand. I'm aware they have the best kickstand in the business 👍👍

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

They're touring bikes with an off road aesthetic. Not my cup of tea but it's comprehensible. Unlike an H-D which aims to do everything as badly as possible.

They make a really good EV bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

Good news, HD also have a modern ADV bike and it even automatically squats down so your stumpy Mario legs can touch the ground at lights

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Good news, HD also have a modern ADV bike and it even automatically squats down so your stumpy Mario legs can touch the ground at lights

Here's a video of it offroad.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's literally every adv

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
You are still not wrong.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

You are still not wrong.

To be fair, this one could equally be a catastrophic breakdown right as you stated to burn away like a boss

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

cursedshitbox posted:

They're Sport tourers with a body lift.
Much like the suv segment is a wagon with a body lift.

They're not actually good at doing anything, just decent enough at most everything and looks good at the local cafe despite never having ever seen a fire road.
CUV is the lifted wagon.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That would be a lifted hatchback/liftback

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is all anyone needs

https://youtu.be/EMrxee_fazo

If that’s too much bike, then a drz is all anyone needs

https://youtu.be/fYu7DQn5vAI

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
https://www.rideapart.com/news/689714/kawasaki-electric-bikes-launch-us/

Details and pricing are out about the Kawasaki's first electric models. Price is about $7,500 and they're 300lbs. I have no idea why they built them on the Z400 frame after seeing final specs:

quote:

Underneath their exteriors, both bikes are powered by a 5 kilowatt (about 6.7 horsepower) interior permanent magnet synchronous electric motor. It’s capable of making peak power of 9 kW (or about 12 hp).

Kawasaki lists an estimated range of 41 miles on a single charge, cautioning that it arrived at this estimate in Road mode, without using e-Boost.

Choose Eco mode to extend the bike’s range via a gentler power response and a top speed electronically governed at 36 mph. Choose Road mode for most everyday situations, and achieve a top speed of 51 mph.

40 miles of range, 12hp peak, and a 50mph top speed that you really don't want to spend long at sounds like a good place for a scooter or underbone or minibike to be, but just doesn't feel right wearing a Z400 frame and wheels. I realize this is a first generation product and physics are generally unkind to electric motorcycles, but if it's so critical to keep costs down I don't see why they didn't build it out of a Z125 or something!

poo poo, they could have even put it on a retro platform like Suzuki did the small cheap retro TU250 or something and that'd fit better.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is garbage lol

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Dang it I was all excited to learn about these but those numbers are yikes. An electric Kawasaki street bike was something to look forward to.

Remember those Lamborghini body kits people were making for the Fiero?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Interesting experience while riding home today.

I was in the middle lane of three, riding in the left tire track at about 30 miles an hour. I needed to merge over to the right lane so I shifted in my lane to the right tire track in preparation.

As I did this, I was nearly smoked by a maxi-scooter who passed me in the right side of my lane at around 50 mph. I did not look over my shoulder before shifting lane position because I sure didn't expect someone to be doing that. I avoided a crash because I saw a flicker in my right mirror as I started to move and reflexively swerved back.

Strangely, in twelve years of riding it had before never occurred to me that someone might pull this move. Please don't pass other motorcycles in the same loving lane!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

Details and pricing are out about the Kawasaki's first electric models. Price is about $7,500 and they're 300lbs. I have no idea why they built them on the Z400 frame after seeing final specs:

40 miles of range, 12hp peak, and a 50mph top speed that you really don't want to spend long at sounds like a good place for a scooter or underbone or minibike to be, but just doesn't feel right wearing a Z400 frame and wheels. I realize this is a first generation product and physics are generally unkind to electric motorcycles, but if it's so critical to keep costs down I don't see why they didn't build it out of a Z125 or something!

poo poo, they could have even put it on a retro platform like Suzuki did the small cheap retro TU250 or something and that'd fit better.

I'm pretty sure Sur-rons beat those specs, that is hot trash

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

that is hot trash

To be fair, so is the Sur-ron

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I was in the middle lane of three, riding in the left tire track at about 30 miles an hour. I needed to merge over to the right lane so I shifted in my lane to the right tire track in preparation.

As I did this, I was nearly smoked by a maxi-scooter who passed me in the right side of my lane at around 50 mph. I did not look over my shoulder before shifting lane position because I sure didn't expect someone to be doing that. I avoided a crash because I saw a flicker in my right mirror as I started to move and reflexively swerved back.

Strangely, in twelve years of riding it had before never occurred to me that someone might pull this move. Please don't pass other motorcycles in the same loving lane!

I'm surprised you've never experienced a dickhead doing this before

cursedshitbox posted:

To be fair, so is the Sur-ron

At least the sur-ron is fun though

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
close your eyes and imagine riding something that looks exactly like a ninja but has those specs. is there a word for the opposite of a sleeper?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snoozer? Snorer?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

I too am surprised you havent been passed in the same lane before today. Its happened to me a few times, and to add an extra fun factor, a couple of them were in corners.

I've yelled at people at stoplights for doing it, but most people are oblivious that it was a faux pas to begin with

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

I think if they had packaged this as a scooter, no one would be complaining, but if you're going to make it look like a Z400, it had better at least offer Z400 levels of performance.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Twerk from Home posted:

Seems bad for much of the US but like a fine city bike for their first one. Do folks want them to start out with shittier frame, suspension and wheels (hi sur-ron) or do you want them to do this and then upgrade the electrics? I would guess that this will sell just fine in europe and asia and maybe in NY for folks who want a scooter but don't want a scooter.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Has anyone ever encounter these and get fully baffled as to why you would ever want a 500 watt ebike that looks like sport bike? I saw one pull up outside my work and started talking to the guy as you do about motorcycles only to realize it wasn't actually a motorcycle and then the conversation got awkward and I just politely smiled and nodded. Looks modeled after a Ninja 300.

https://emmo.ca/collections/electric-motorcycle-style-ebike

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 4, 2023

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

numberoneposter posted:

Has anyone ever encounter these and get fully baffled as to why you would ever want a 500 watt ebike that looks like sport bike? I saw one pull up outside my work and started talking to the guy as you do about motorcycles only to realize it wasn't actually a motorcycle and then the conversation got awkward and I just politely smiled and nodded.

Motorcycles look cool.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah I see those Emmo ones all the time in Toronto.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
One of the regulars here posted about one of those blocking his parking.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

numberoneposter posted:

Has anyone ever encounter these and get fully baffled as to why you would ever want a 500 watt ebike that looks like sport bike? I saw one pull up outside my work and started talking to the guy as you do about motorcycles only to realize it wasn't actually a motorcycle and then the conversation got awkward and I just politely smiled and nodded. Looks modeled after a Ninja 300.

Where are the pedals in it to make it legal? I thought they had to put pedals in it like this garbage: https://www.segway.com/segway-emoped-c80/

https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/segway-emoped-c80

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

Has anyone ever encounter these and get fully baffled as to why you would ever want a 500 watt ebike that looks like sport bike? I saw one pull up outside my work and started talking to the guy as you do about motorcycles only to realize it wasn't actually a motorcycle and then the conversation got awkward and I just politely smiled and nodded.

Because you can't get/won't get/aren't allowed to get/lost your license and still want to mack on chicks on the bike path.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

100% of the dudes I've seen riding these have been young men on the Martin Goodman trail in Toronto and very obviously cruising and/or strutting.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Twerk from Home posted:

Where are the pedals in it to make it legal? I thought they had to put pedals in it like this garbage: https://www.segway.com/segway-emoped-c80/

https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/segway-emoped-c80

Pedals are removed on the glamour shot, but you can see the crank and chain.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Good Lord, the fake exhaust isn't just for looks it plays engine sounds:

I wonder if it plays 600cc sounds or if you can set it to Harley V-Twin?

I've never seen anything like this before. I'm just cackling at the idea of encountering one of these on a bicycle path.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is absolutely dire good lord

You can make perfectly delicious food out of veggies! You don't need to try to make fake meat out of them!!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The new Impossible! Slip on.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

numberoneposter posted:

The Power Wheels Kawasaki dirt bike with permanently attached training wheels was more legit than this.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Those are absolutely hideous and I can’t for a second pretend I wouldn’t ride it around grinning like an idiot if someone handed me one for free.

But it would be fun in the same way it’s funny to make your friend smell your fart or to get the Jeopardy theme stuck in someone’s head. I would absolutely go troll people with one of those bikes.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Geekboy posted:

Those are absolutely hideous and I can’t for a second pretend I wouldn’t ride it around grinning like an idiot if someone handed me one for free.

But it would be fun in the same way it’s funny to make your friend smell your fart or to get the Jeopardy theme stuck in someone’s head. I would absolutely go troll people with one of those bikes.

I can't even begin to imagine what form "trolling" someone would take on one of those that would elicit anything other than pity.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Twerk from Home posted:

Good Lord, the fake exhaust isn't just for looks it plays engine sounds:

I wonder if it plays 600cc sounds or if you can set it to Harley V-Twin?

I've never seen anything like this before. I'm just cackling at the idea of encountering one of these on a bicycle path.

This can't be real. Link please.

Edit: Is that faux carbon fiber?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

epswing posted:

This can't be real. Link please.

Edit: Is that faux carbon fiber?

Take a look: https://emmo.ca/products/emmo-zonegts?variant=42329592299777

Also I just noticed that the Lithium-Ion ones can cost more than $8,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
My loved ones would know that I was being seen on it. It would be funny to ride around in full gear if I had no financial stake in it. For roughly one hour.

The only real use I can think of beyond a single afternoon of being an rear end in a top hat would be to give it to my friend who does elaborate cosplays (to the point where he’s been paid to do it) to make something stupid for one of the themed bicycle rides we have in Portland.

But we could also just make some foam fairings and slap them on a real ebike for considerably less money.