Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

anime was right posted:

given the demonic nature of these fruits, im wondering if imu has like some kind of actual "devil" fruit.

Robin's gonna sue Imu for gimmick infringement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/OnePieceAnime/status/1709592968091287801?s=20

Luffy in the drat Macy parade....we made it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Already posted on the last page but still cool though (surprised it took this long honestly)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 5, 2023

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Luffy in the drat Macy parade....we made it.

You aint seen nothing yet. The future is coming up all One Piece all the time,

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Several of them have scars, that they had seen battle was obvious to me at least.

I wonder if the five elders are all former holy knights. Considering their age, several of them may have even been present at God Valley

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

I wonder if the five elders are all former holy knights. Considering their age, several of them may have even been present at God Valley

I'm assuming they are ageless since they look the same now as they did during Ohara.

My wild theory is that they're actually oni who ate human-human fruits.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

lol that Jimbei sensed Saturn but Sanji didn't (because it's not a lady)

edit What would happen if Vice Admiral Bluegrass tried to ride someone who was already wearing someone with the Jacket Jacket fruit, who would be in control?

Wii Spawn Camper fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 5, 2023

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I wonder if it's meant to mean something that despite showing off his form in full, and getting the full ominous titles + name title card, they didn't also state the devil fruit.

Could just save it for next chapter where he starts showing more of it off, but between that & the strangeness of coming from a pentagram and no one being allowed to see this, it kind of feels like this isn't a devil fruit and more it's just what he is

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I'm assuming they are ageless since they look the same now as they did during Ohara.

ah, so the Five Elders ate various bureaucrat-bureaucrat devil fruits and became Jorge from YuYu Hakusho :hmmyes:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

im wondering if they even have fruits at all

the one person that made it out of the void century with a confirmed power is toki, whos power is literally just... the toki power. shes not explicitly called a fruit user anywhere in the manga. it seems weird that the one character that was alive during the void century has a power that is literally her name. im wondering if people from that era just had magical bullshit and the fruits are how they passed that on into the future.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

anime was right posted:

the one person that made it out of the void century with a confirmed power is toki, whos power is literally just... the toki power. shes not explicitly called a fruit user anywhere in the manga.

People from Wano do not seem to know what devil fruits are - several fruit users from Wano do not call them devil fruit powers, even though they are confirmed to be as much, and we see Toki in a part of the story that's mostly from the point of view of people from Wano.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

ah, so the Five Elders ate various bureaucrat-bureaucrat devil fruits and became Jorge from YuYu Hakusho :hmmyes:

:hmmyes:

anime was right posted:

the one person that made it out of the void century with a confirmed power is toki, whos power is literally just... the toki power. shes not explicitly called a fruit user anywhere in the manga. it seems weird that the one character that was alive during the void century has a power that is literally her name. im wondering if people from that era just had magical bullshit and the fruits are how they passed that on into the future.

I think you're onto something about devil fruits being made from people who had that power, like Sanji could be the spin-spin fruit or something. Possible they don't have fruits but he has the fire cloud scarf thing that Luffy and Lucci both have that we've only seen on Awakened Zoans(and Kaido didn't, he made the flame clouds himself). So atm I'm leaning back towards fruits.

edit

Bleck posted:

People from Wano do not seem to know what devil fruits are - several fruit users from Wano do not call them devil fruit powers, even though they are confirmed to be as much, and we see Toki in a part of the story that's mostly from the point of view of people from Wano.

This is a really good point, dont they call them sorcery or something? But didn't Kinemon tell them that he ate a fruit when they first met? hmm

edit2: found it, he talks about eating a weird fruit and getting sorcerous powers from it but doesn't call it a Devil Fruit

Wii Spawn Camper fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 5, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"And next after Garfield we have that... I believe he's Monkey Luhfee from the hit cartoon One Piece!"

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

God drat, what a chapter!

Absolutely love Saturn's appearance in the magic circle, and him just murdering the marine who looked at him. It's always very striking how everyone associated with the WG directly is like... remorseless and direct in their violence in a way that pirates and marines aren't. Really gets across a different vibe, compared to the rest of the series.

I hope next week we transition smoothly into an extended Kuma flashback. I wanna know what Bonney say, damnit!!

e: Also, I called it too, back in May!

Begemot posted:

Wapol :allears:

I love that the Five Elder Stars all have legendary zoans, that's sick as hell. And very fitting, given that we just had an arc that ended with a big battle between two legendary zoan users. Can't wait to see what they are, exactly, but it looks like they might be based on monsters from Japanese mythology (more connection to Wano?). My guesses are:
- Gyuki
- Umibozu
- Some sort of god with one of those floating cloth things
- Some sort of bird (we already have a phoenix, so it has to be something else, maybe Garuda?)
- A giant boar

Begemot fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 5, 2023

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

This is a really good point, dont they call them sorcery or something? But didn't Kinemon tell them that he ate a fruit when they first met? hmm

edit2: found it, he talks about eating a weird fruit and getting sorcerous powers from it but doesn't call it a Devil Fruit

toki roamed the world and was alive through random periods for hundreds of years and was explicitly NOT from wano. which means that the people of wano were not isolated during that time.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So many motherfuckers on this planet can't swim, it's ridiculous

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
My dumb theory: if Devil Fruits represent dreams and ambitions, the Elders/Imu have the power of their counterpart: fears.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

My dumb theory: if Devil Fruits represent dreams and ambitions, the Elders/Imu have the power of their counterpart: fears.

I like this

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7511/one-piece-chapter-1094

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Saturn's line to Vegapunk here makes a lot more sense lmao

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I just rewatched punk hazard with my girlfriend, kinemon couldn’t swim in the ocean along with sorcery it’s basically confirmed fruit user.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Franky's response to Vegapunk realizing Saturn had arrived brings me back to a question I've had for a while: does the general public know the Elder Stars even exist?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Funky Valentine posted:

Franky's response to Vegapunk realizing Saturn had arrived brings me back to a question I've had for a while: does the general public know the Elder Stars even exist?

Being the frontmen for Imu would be a lot less useful if no one knows the frontmen themselves exist

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Pureauthor posted:

Being the frontmen for Imu would be a lot less useful if no one knows the frontmen themselves exist

I could see it being a thing where to the public, all world nobles are equal, but the world nobles know that the five elders are really in charge (except they're not)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Veskit posted:

I just rewatched punk hazard with my girlfriend, kinemon couldn’t swim in the ocean along with sorcery it’s basically confirmed fruit user.

we know kinemon ate a fruit

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I don't know about you guys, but I am totally down for One Piece Godhand.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Also was just thinking about how Devil Fruits mirror the way OP talks about dreams, in that they're passed on and shared after an individual dies. They create a sort of collective conciousness that transcends any one person. if the Elders/Imu truly never age then that's another way they function as the counterpart to Devil Fruits/dreams.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
saw this pointed out, but during the cutaway to the powerful characters, usopp is in the middle of several characters noticing saturns presence (vas and jinbe), and hes the only person looking as worried as the rest of them. it feels completely out of place for an "update" panel. i think usopps observation haki has gotten really strong

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
god i love one piece

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Incredible called shot, but DO NOT LIKE the idea of a Blood-blood fruit, fuuuuuuck. Avatar Last Airbender had it right in how hosed that would be.

i don't think that guess is right at all, it seems much more likely that they're all going to be mythical creatures, quite possibly demons from various mythologies. the reddit poster said they thought that it was the blood-blood fruit just because whichever of the gorosei it was seemed to look like a puddle in one panel, something like that, which isn't very convincing to me.

it also wouldn't surprise me if instead of devil fruits they're god fruits or something like that lol

lih fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 5, 2023

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Oh jeez that guy really did get he drat head popped

Also what fantastic adventures are Robin, Brook and Kaku getting up to offscreen

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I love that the me of twenty years ago thought Zoan fruits were definitely the least interesting because it's just like "dog" or whatever, but mythical zoans existing rules and further, the Elder Stars potentially being demonic zoans is so loving cool.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
:eyepop: the one piece is real good

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Funky Valentine posted:

I assume anyone knowledgeable or involved in the government in some way knows about them. But the average citizen probably thinks more about their own island’s leaders than the leadership of the World Government as whole. The Five Elders normally stay in Mariejois so they probably are not talked about in the news much.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I assume the 5 elders are supposed to be in charge of day-to-day administration and implementing the decisions of the Reverie. I doubt they're a secret but with no elections or public criticism someone who isn't interested in politics might not care enough to learn about them

e: like in theory they may be more like the Civil Service than the actual government (which is the Reverie)

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 5, 2023

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Begemot posted:

God drat, what a chapter!

Absolutely love Saturn's appearance in the magic circle, and him just murdering the marine who looked at him. It's always very striking how everyone associated with the WG directly is like... remorseless and direct in their violence in a way that pirates and marines aren't. Really gets across a different vibe, compared to the rest of the series.

I hope next week we transition smoothly into an extended Kuma flashback. I wanna know what Bonney say, damnit!!

e: Also, I called it too, back in May!
They wield state violence like the ruthless autocrats they are.

Kinda reminded me of Guyver when Archanfel is seen by some mook zoanoids and he brutally kills them without hesitation for that transgression. Mangakas definitely know how to depict absolute rulers.

I'm betting Imu is straight up going to be Devilman or Devilwoman, though a legit Seraphim would be cool too.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Gotta say that is a really cool chapter. Whatever lore dump we're gonna get in the future about the OP world and its past (Lost Century also) is going to be epic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jesus Christ that chapter was incredible :stare:

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
It’s Kizaru who thinks “this is not good” in the panel where Luffy punches his head, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hasnt been to "the surface" in a long time ...... is he from... the moon ....