Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

shame on an IGA posted:

what's the situation that requires the belt compared to the situation that requires no belt?

because belt owns and no-belt is god awful, the jacket is waaaaaay too long to look good without it

I don't know if it's the same in Sweden, but in Finland a belt with the over-the-shoulder strap was for officers and nco's in the older uniforms. I think the officer and nco versions might have been slightly different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Ataxerxes posted:

I don't know if it's the same in Sweden, but in Finland a belt with the over-the-shoulder strap was for officers and nco's in the older uniforms. I think the officer and nco versions might have been slightly different.

Sam Browne belt. A minimalistic load bearing system to help carry a sword comfortably with a more modern (for the early 1900's) uniform. The swords disappeared fairly quickly as the pistol replaced them as the main sidearm. Still, a mark of authority more than anything actually useful.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

shame on an IGA posted:

like it needs to be either at or above the crotch, or a whole rear end lab coat. There's no in-between that has ever worked.

Bring back dusters.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

armyman over there rubbing one out under his cape about antiquated uniform kit.

gently caress. That was an idiot. Y'all did that to us (SA as a whole, or hole).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A unit's dress uniform should always be an accurate replica of what its field uniform looked like one hundred years ago. Advances in lockstep.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MarcusSA posted:

You just by a driving got passed solider a hemi!!

“Ares”

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

(*- at 33% APR)

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
So out of curiosity. Let's pretend a marine NCO comes rampaging through the fields to yell at someone for having their hands in their pockets. Has anyone ever tried to answer in the affirmative when he ask the obligatory "do you think Chesty Puller walked around with his hands in his pockets?". Considering that one of the more famous pictures of Chesty is this.

The senior staff of the 7th Marines on Cape Gloucester, New Britain, Jan 10 1944. Chesty Puller is the second from the left.

I'm mostly asking because I suspect the heat generated from the NCO's face would probably solve our energy problems for a year or two.
Especially if we can get some sort of sonic pressure wave turbine running.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

And the NCOs heart grew three sizes that day (before rupturing).

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Guest2553 posted:

And the NCOs heart grew three sizes that day (before rupturing).

It was brought on by the current event of hands in pockets, but drinking a few Rip-Its after a cigarette and before putting in a huge dip couldn’t have helped things either.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Icon Of Sin posted:

It was brought on by the current event of hands in pockets, but drinking a few Rip-Its after a cigarette and before putting in a huge dip couldn’t have helped things either.

I'll not hear such slander on the perfect drink

*heart explodes, shits pants*

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

SerthVarnee posted:

Has anyone ever tried to answer in the affirmative when he ask the obligatory "do you think Chesty Puller walked around with his hands in his pockets?". Considering that one of the more famous pictures of Chesty is this.

Looks like he has his hands on his hips/belt to me? Like guy #5

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Quite possible yes. But combine it with this quote:

"A Marine with cold hands and warm empty pockets is a drat fool" -Lt. Gen Lewis "Chesty" Puller - Korea

And you have a recipe for NCO aneurism.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Why is he even idolized by marines? Does he hold the record for crayons eaten during a firefight or something?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
He was a very capable commander during Guadalcanal and onward.

And he spent more time caring about the troops and the task than he did caring about the look and the decorum.

So now people point to him as the reason why the look and the decorum is so important. Because Chesty was a real marine and you can't let him down.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

SerthVarnee posted:

And he spent more time caring about the troops and the task than he did caring about the look and the decorum.

Ok, so the exact type the army (and probably marines too) drives out as fast as possible, got it.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
No probably about that one!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

:nice:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
So there's a very real chance Lucas from Trex arms will be killed by negligence at his own range sometime soon?

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

SerthVarnee posted:

So out of curiosity. Let's pretend a marine NCO comes rampaging through the fields to yell at someone for having their hands in their pockets. Has anyone ever tried to answer in the affirmative when he ask the obligatory "do you think Chesty Puller walked around with his hands in his pockets?".

One of my coworkers tried that once, he said it didn't go well

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah, I’m not military but that sounds like a trap for smartasses to me. On the other hand the guy probably lives for the moments he gets to pull his trap card so you do you I guess.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The true #1 rule of the military is “don’t be smarter than your leadership”. Showing even a slight hint of that is a fast way to get crushed!

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Icon Of Sin posted:

The true #1 rule of the military is “don’t be smarter than your leadership”. Showing even a slight hint of that is a fast way to get crushed!

When they are dangrously, fratricidally stupid you dont really have a choice and they will punish you for stopping them from doing something that gets the wrong person hurt or killed. Ask me about my last deployment...

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Steezo posted:

When they are dangrously, fratricidally stupid you dont really have a choice and they will punish you for stopping them from doing something that gets the wrong person hurt or killed. Ask me about my last deployment...

Brings back buried memories, gently caress

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Or you'll be given more work to do. Or in countries where the common way to officer school is through the ranks, getting pushed there ASAP.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Or in countries where the common way to officer school is through the ranks, getting pushed there ASAP.

Cruel and unusual punishment for all involved right there.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Steezo posted:

... what happened on your last deployment?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I assume he got punished for stopping them from doing something that would have got the wrong person hurt or killed

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That type exists outside the military too, to be fair. One of the dive shops I worked for, the owner yelled at one of our staff for getting lost, then was also pissed at the rest of us because we radioed that a diver was missing to the rest of our camp, and that was somehow embarrassing for her (and not, you know, the exact loving thing thing you’re supposed to do when a diver doesn’t come back).

We were on the way back to the water when we found him walking out of the surf, he’d just gotten separated from us by a bit. We talked it out, figured out where we hosed up, then got yelled at by our boss. Joke’s on her though, she’s divorced now and lost the contract for that camp.

She also had the gall to email me years later and ask if I wanted to do a dive instructor course with her, and was shocked that I’d given up being a divemaster to go be a park ranger instead.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

gently caress that poo poo. I’m okay with bending regulations where it makes sense (Ron Howard voice: it does not make sense underwater). Losing an entire diver is not a place where you get to bend regulations, it’s a 0 or 1.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

goatsestretchgoals posted:

gently caress that poo poo. I’m okay with bending regulations where it makes sense (Ron Howard voice: it does not make sense underwater). Losing an entire diver is not a place where you get to bend regulations, it’s a 0 or 1.

What if you lose only a portion of the diver?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Floating point numbers are always inaccurate.

1.0 may not equal 0.1 x 10.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

You can lose a little diver, as a treat.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

bulletsponge13 posted:

You can lose a little diver, as a treat.

Mmmm, shark treats. Tastes just like hand!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

We've lost our best ... chum.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

generally true point but bad example because the mantissa and exponent are stored separately for common ieee-754 use cases

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

If they were floating point numbers we wouldn't be losing all these divers!

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
That would be safer, but we're a diving company, and we won't stay afloat if we're floating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

pmchem posted:

generally true point but bad example because the mantissa and exponent are stored separately for common ieee-754 use cases

gently caress you for making me look up ieee-754

gently caress me for continuing to read about the history of floating point numbers