Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
the real fight is now starting up. Yuji could be concealing the last finger. it's been sitting as a plot point since Gojo was freed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Ghosthotel posted:

kinda funny that a lot of people (me included) were like "Well sukuna is weakened now so everyone can come in and gang up on him" and he's just at 100% full strength right now lol

Sukuna saw Yuji play Elden Ring and figured that he too should have a second health bar.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Sukuna saw Yuji play Elden Ring and figured that he too should have a second health bar.

at least it wasn't a Senzu Bean this time

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I’m starting to get big X/1999 vibes from this series. I haven’t seen anything from it since I caught it on showtime as a kid, but the beautiful teens with magical powers destroying Tokyo in an apocalyptic battle is very on the nose.

I don’t remember the details of how things end, but I remember that it was very tragic.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The Sukuna fight has taught me what love is: watching an antagonist completely live up to his billing as he mulches folks

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Nah Sukuna is a lot of fun. He has a ton of personality. I'm hoping that he does lose this fight or be driven off somehow, but I'd much rather he survive and be the final opponent later on then Kenjaku.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Also literally none of the students are dying here. From this point on its gojos dream of all his kids surpassing him.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Todo will come in and surpass Gojo with a new arm built with RCT.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
This is starting to feel like we're getting a ending where the villains win.

Kenjaku did make the rule that ONLY when everyone other than Megumi and Geto's body die, the culling games end. I feel like with that setup and how Sukuna is just setup to merc everyone who's left, that's we are about to see everyone coming at Sukuna completely crushed

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Maybe we'll get a Shaman King style ending with everybody in the airport inside Kenjaku's soul talking him out of being a dick.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also literally none of the students are dying here. From this point on its gojos dream of all his kids surpassing him.

Saving this post for later

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Well If anyone is gonna own Sukuna it's gonna be Yuji so I'm glad we're getting to this already.

Also getting some Yujiro Hanma vibes from Sukuna's "If I want to eat, I eat" bit.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Sukuna's answer to Kashimo mirrors sumo kappa's advice to Maki and also what the nameless swordsman said. Reaching enlightenment/nirvana entails being true to yourself and acknowledging your nature.

Being a selfish prick like Sukuna is probably not the only way to reach enlightenment, he's just the first person to do it because, well, he knows he's an rear end in a top hat and he's 100% confident of who he is and where he belongs in the world (at the top of the food chain). I'm guessing Yuji will be the second person to reach Nirvana, probably related to his whole cog mentality and his "I'm the same as you. My purpose is to kill curses" dialogue with Mahito. Considering he was literally created to be a cursed vessel by Kenjaku, his self-concept is likely engineered towards something like that.

This is in contrast to Gojo, who wasn't truly enlightened. He was almost there after encountering Toji, but he regressed and stagnated due to Geto. Geto posing the question of whether he was the strongest because he is Gojo Satoru or if he's Gojo Satoru because he's the strongest made him question his identity, and he became unsure of himself. I think Gojo was basically frozen in time from that point on, as he never really progressed beyond this question to his self-concept.

yum fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 5, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

RatHat posted:

Saving this post for later

I believe

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly am just having trouble following the flow of action. The art is really not doing its job there.

It's really bad, and my boy Kashimo got done real dirty, he is barely even drawn, it's like, stylistic outlines...? And we were teased on that CT for so many chapters.

I hope he isn't just going to end the series here or something. Dude seems kinda done tho. I still think the end of chapter is really hype though, so let's see what happens.

Taima fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 5, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

yum posted:

This is in contrast to Gojo, who wasn't truly enlightened. He was almost there after encountering Toji, but he regressed and stagnated due to Geto. Geto posing the question of whether he was the strongest because he is Gojo Satoru or if he's Gojo Satoru because he's the strongest made him question his identity, and he became unsure of himself. I think Gojo was basically frozen in time from that point on, as he never really progressed beyond this question to his self-concept.

Maybe thats the story's intention. But it doesnt fit with Gojo's character to me. He's like the least miserable person alive. He defied the entire JJK power structure. Characters constantly tell us that Gojo wasnt committed to anything when he always did what he thought was right. He constantly talks about how selfish he is but loved the students more than anyone. He dreamed too big thinking he could beat Sukuna AND save Megumi (or earlier thinking he could minimize casualties in Shibuya). And he acts like his 1v1 with Sukuna was selfish but #2 even tells us that anyone else would just get in the way.

Gojo also progressed his jutsu further than anyone alive. If anyone knew who he was it was gojo but yes letting Geto's meat puppet live for no reason always felt odd and maybe thats what we're supposed to focus on.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Maybe we'll get a Shaman King style ending with everybody in the airport inside Kenjaku's soul talking him out of being a dick.
Don't forget that we'll need to introduce Sukuna's mother and some mascot-looking spiritual ally who both affirm that he needs to stop being a dick. And also to slap him.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Taima posted:

It's really bad, and my boy Kashimo got done real dirty, he is barely even drawn, it's like, stylistic outlines...? And we were teased on that CT for so many chapters.

I hope he isn't just going to end the series here or something. Dude seems kinda done tho. I still think the end of chapter is really hype though, so let's see what happens.

I disagreed with you before on Gege just being done with JJK, but in this chapter I can sort of see it. I still think Shibuya has problems and the Culling Game had some highlights, but it gets me sad to think how many character beats have just been ignored and how many chekov's gun have either not paid off or paid off poorly. It feels like a slightly smarter cousin to Bleach atm.

No Wave posted:

Maybe thats the story's intention. But it doesnt fit with Gojo's character to me. He's like the least miserable person alive. He defied the entire JJK power structure. Characters constantly tell us that Gojo wasnt committed to anything when he always did what he thought was right. He constantly talks about how selfish he is but loved the students more than anyone. He dreamed too big thinking he could beat Sukuna AND save Megumi (or earlier thinking he could minimize casualties in Shibuya). And he acts like his 1v1 with Sukuna was selfish but #2 even tells us that anyone else would just get in the way.

Gojo also progressed his jutsu further than anyone alive. If anyone knew who he was it was gojo but yes letting Geto's meat puppet live for no reason always felt odd and maybe thats what we're supposed to focus on.

To be honest, I'll admit that - due to not having absorbed anything about Japanese buddhism due to the lack of cultural osmosis or previous study - I'm probably missing a lot of the subtext, but it almost feels like that characterization you're talking about is being treated negatively by the story. Not gonna spoiler since Gojo's death happened weeks ago and this is the manga thread but uh, Gojo was clearly reshaped but what happened in Hidden Inventory and the way he constantly tries to grow students to be even stronger than him, minimize casualties and avert executions is clearly a reflection of both him following the advice of Geto even after Geto himself stopped thinking in those terms *and* also wanting to avoid the death of another Riko. Except I guess deep down he should have just been selfish and enjoyed fighting like he did when owning Toji? But yeah, I dunno, as a character beat it doesn't resonate with me. His isolation is at least understandable as is the idea that, to some extent, he had to shoulder the burden of being one of the pillars of jujutsu society rather than just allow himself to be a full person. The one thing I'll say I don't agree with at all is the fan complaint that he should have been worrying about his students during his death dream. That's just not something he ever did before, he's almost callous in his belief in them, so it makes sense that he isn't worried unlike the readers.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The past month in two photos

Ignore the dude in the back

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 6, 2023

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Krillin would defeat Sukuna.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
He just really loved Geto since he was the one person who could understand and connect with him, which is the love that everyone's been talking about and trying to get Sukuna to understand.

The other way you could look at it is that a character claiming they're enlightened is trumped by the narrator proclaiming someone is enlightened.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Yeah I kind of don't care about whatever is happening here anymore. We've spent the last four months following a Calvinball fight that ended in absolutely nothing, in an arc that was already more about Calvinball bullshit than the pathos and character moments that defined the series and won it its popularity. The main bad guy is so ridiculously overpowered that the only way to beat him is something equally bullshit, so there's no way this story is going to end in a way that is at all satisfying. And that wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that said villain is just really boring.

Sorry to be a downer, but I'm officially checked out.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
seems like every shounen manga in its doldrums has the same sequence where the bad guy stands and smirks at the everyone queueing up to fight them and the story goes "maybe this brave soul will be the one to finally strike down the evil- oh nope guess not haha"

granted kashimo was always a no-hoper but the villain roster in jjk has been really weak every since the disaster curses left the stage. sukuna's motiveless malignity is wearing thin and i still have no idea what kenjaku wants other than to smush all the souls in tokyo together for giggles

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Krillin would defeat Sukuna.

Krillin sees Sukuna's upgraded slash, integrates it into his Destructo Disk, creating the perfect unblockable attack

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MachuPikacchu posted:

Yeah I kind of don't care about whatever is happening here anymore. We've spent the last four months following a Calvinball fight that ended in absolutely nothing, in an arc that was already more about Calvinball bullshit than the pathos and character moments that defined the series and won it its popularity. The main bad guy is so ridiculously overpowered that the only way to beat him is something equally bullshit, so there's no way this story is going to end in a way that is at all satisfying. And that wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that said villain is just really boring.

I think it would help if almost everyone who was a major player in the first half wasn't dead or possessed.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
i’m actually loving this, now that it’s clear sukuna isn’t the strongest because he has the mostest power but because he’s the one who truly embodies jujutsu ideology. It’s a horrifically lonely existence that gojo and kashimo can’t tolerate but when you were born the ugliest baby of the heian era vOv. really makes me appreciate sukuna as a villain even more and i can’t wait for yuji to surpass him by being the most miserable kid on earth.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7515/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-238

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ImpAtom posted:

I think it would help if almost everyone who was a major player in the first half wasn't dead or possessed.

Yeaaahhh this is definitely a part of it. JJK has really really bad economy of characterization.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

MachuPikacchu posted:

came here to say this.
I'll keep reading and having fun, but lol. It is literally calvinball.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

I keep thinking about this part because it's funny as gently caress. More mouths + hands = more jujutsu. Shouldn't this have been a bigger factor before against the shape shifter? Am I forgetting something? Why not have mouths on your back to chant spells too? Make a bunch of incredibly tiny arms all over your body, almost imperceptible to the human eye, all doing sick spells.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Somberbrero posted:

I keep thinking about this part because it's funny as gently caress. More mouths + hands = more jujutsu. Shouldn't this have been a bigger factor before against the shape shifter? Am I forgetting something? Why not have mouths on your back to chant spells too? Make a bunch of incredibly tiny arms all over your body, almost imperceptible to the human eye, all doing sick spells.

do you think that isn't happening already????

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Somberbrero posted:

I never thought of this but yea! Mahito kind of did this with using his mouth to open his domain, but yea seems like a vast oversight that there was literally a guy who can take any form running around... Or I mean really we saw curses using high level jujutsu why didnt they just have 10 arms and 10 mouths or whatever?!!?

Seems like a plotting oversight.

Also I spied Uraume falling down from the domain so I guess they're still alive ...

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
https://twitter.com/cactuzz4nf/status/1710036512908227039?s=46&t=Yntt7G3i9J81WH8r8EaHnw

relevant pages

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jerkface posted:

I never thought of this but yea! Mahito kind of did this with using his mouth to open his domain, but yea seems like a vast oversight that there was literally a guy who can take any form running around... Or I mean really we saw curses using high level jujutsu why didnt they just have 10 arms and 10 mouths or whatever?!!?

Seems like a plotting oversight.

Also I spied Uraume falling down from the domain so I guess they're still alive ...

that seems easy enough to explain. mahito was a newborn dumbass still figuring out how his own cursed technique worked while sukuna is a thousand-year old archmage who could recite the highest-level curses in his sleep, if he slept

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
sukuna is also quite literally built different, the narration seems to imply that being built like this would ordinarily suck poo poo, but sukuna’s just able to operate flawlessly. mahito was striving for a perfect form and probly never considered making his body worse.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I'm fine with a lot of what has been happening but it does feel like Gege is losing track here. Why spend so much space in your narrative to hype up Kashimo if you're just going to give him a chapter and a half? At the same time, it was obvious that he was being set up to get smashed by Sukuna for hype, the same way it was a foregone conclusion that Tsukumo's master plan was going to fail with Kenjaku, and I appreciate Gege not beating around the bush... but at the same time, just why bother at all if you're not going to do something interesting with it?

That said, are we sure he's dead? I mean the Heian age flashback and Sukuna philosophical monologuing has meant that when it's popped up before but it would be nice if we got visual confirmation. Maybe next chapter will open with a few new bisected corpses. I'm asking myself this question about Gojo too though, was that brief intermission in limbo with the boys actually the end?

re: Sukuna, do we think he was literally born a disfigured dude with 4 arms and 2 mouths? I definitely have been under the interpretation that he did that to himself in his pursuit of ultimate strength.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
its just another one of those things that’s so obvious in its simplicity, like why didn’t I think of that, no poo poo having another pair of arms and mouth would be advantageous when the fighting system is based around hand seals and chants. Cutting space is another example, or the concept of an open domain expansion. No one bothered to even imagine them as possibilities in the first place.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
just speculation for what-ifs here, but I swear if the little scars on Yuji's face by his eyes transform into extra tiny eyes of his own as he taps into some pseudo-sukuna power I'm gonna be annoyed at how I hadn't thought of it until now.

also sukuna could kill me all he wants, he's ugly and more people should say it

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Somberbrero posted:

I just don't think Sukuna is interesting.

Same, he was more interesting when he was just like an intimidating presence in someone else's head. But overall, I just don't really give much of a poo poo about big invincible final villains in shonen series that just kind of nosell everything and everyone for months at a time. It's not even strictly a personality thing because it's not very interesting when they're gloating braggarts either; it's just kind of dull watching a bunch of people fight god until someone also becomes god and beats him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

yum posted:

its just another one of those things that’s so obvious in its simplicity, like why didn’t I think of that, no poo poo having another pair of arms and mouth would be advantageous when the fighting system is based around hand seals and chants. Cutting space is another example, or the concept of an open domain expansion. No one bothered to even imagine them as possibilities in the first place.

i like the translations that call hollow purple an imaginary technique, it’s a neat hint towards how being the best jujutsu sorcerer means making up the biggest bullshit. like if tite kubo was a power system.