Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
No sword fight I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Flowing Thot posted:

No sword fight I guess.
Indiana Al'Thor

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

holy poo poo lol

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
Holy poo poo Turak. I don't know if I love it or hate it but I'm leaning towards loving it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

rand having enough control to not kill the single unarmed person is a nice touch

so far this is probably the best episode of the show hope they stick the landing

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Oh Mat has a lightsaber now.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

eke out posted:

rand having enough control to not kill the single unarmed person is a nice touch

so far this is probably the best episode of the show hope they stick the landing

Turns out they were very armed.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
man is bayle domon a darkfriend? :(

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

They haven't sold Rand really learning the sword so I'm fine with it

Also, lol at Mat making a spear out of the dagger

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
HES MAKING THE ASHANDAREI gently caress YEAH

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

perrin actually killing Bornhald. is interesting

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Oh my god Uno.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

HE'S HERE

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

i dont know if the dagger stick is the ashanderai bit tying his memories to the horn isn't a bad idea, if that's what they're doing

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Ahah I didn't know aquaman was a hero of the horn, but sure

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lan catching arrows cleanly out of the air was a nice touch

also the dreamy "who are you?" lol

this episode has a lot of nice escalation of just how scary the one power is at great distances

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

moggy seems like she'll be fun

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
That was a lot of fun, so happy to see Uno and Birgitte. Moggy too at the end.Rand simply walking up and stabbing Ishy was a bit campy, but the rest was great. I loved how it was them working together, though I do wish Nynaeve had been able to do a bit of... anything.

Egwene went vicious against Renna, that was a little unexpected but at the same time, deserved. Lan got an actual badass moment fighting off however many Seanchan, and Loial is just the best. What a good episode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
This show's so good I got a boooooooooner

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
lol I can easily see Lanfear now running to Team Dragon and going "So, I made a fucky wucky, wanna be friends now, please? :kiddo: HELP!"

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Do we know why show Ishy didn't regenerate like Lanfear?

I'm not sure if I missed it or if it'll be explained later.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Donnerberg posted:

Do we know why show Ishy didn't regenerate like Lanfear?

I'm not sure if I missed it or if it'll be explained later.

I think Rand basically balefire'd him with Tam's sword.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

admittedly the way they handled mat's whole thing is fairly clean

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

e: I forget if we’re doing spoilers, but just in case.

Goddamn that was good. My non book reader wife was hyped as gently caress in it when Rand just gatted all those seanchan. She was also gutted about hopper. Couple of things felt slightly off to me. One, could egwene actually attack Renna like that? It’s been forever since I read the books so I’m not sure exactly how she got free in them. Also, I was surprised Moirane’s oaths let her attack those ships. She literally said she would sacrifice innocents so I feel like her oath wouldn’t let her do that.

rafikki fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 6, 2023

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

nine-gear crow posted:

I think Rand basically balefire'd him with Tam's sword.

Okay, yeah, that makes sense. The sword being deleted is a good misdirect to make it look like it melted too.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

rafikki posted:

Goddamn that was good. My non book reader wife was hyped as gently caress in it when Rand just gatted all those seanchan. She was also gutted about hopper. Couple of things felt slightly off to me. One, could egwene actually attack Renna like that? It’s been forever since I read the books so I’m not sure exactly how she got free in them. Also, I was surprised Moirane’s oaths let her attack those ships. She literally said she would sacrifice innocents so I feel like her oath wouldn’t let her do that.

"If these guys kill or gentle the dragon, the dark one is gonna kill everyone, therefore my life is in danger, let's fuckin goooo"

(I'm pretty sure that's Rand up there, good enough for oath rod work,)

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
They stuck the landing, I'm so hyped for season 3. I just want more. They're making the baddies so good. And all the goodies get to shine. Nynaeve at least got that badass line to Seta.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Was honestly expecting in that scene a massive severing of those shielding weaves than what we got for that reason.

Still it's amazing to see Moiraine channeling that much that far away

Glad we finally got to see Lan being a badass

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Changes I liked:

Perrin actually taking out Bornhald, it makes his son going so nuts in the two rivers way more personal and Perrin has to deal with actually being responsible for his death.

Mat making a spear and stabbing Rand, way better way to introduce the wound that doesn't heal for the show.

Elayne healing Rand, a real good way to pay homage to the book 1 scene but also gives their relationship a much firmer foundation, she saved his life the first time they met. I think it's a way stronger way to build them having a relationship compared to the book, honestly.

Changes i didn't like even if I get why they made them:

ingtar just being some dude, one who apparently wouldn't instantly recognize Aiel maidens. yeah bud, you're right, they do seem like they know the ways of war. :rolleyes:

Mat being a Hero of the Horn because Mat Cauthon is no bloody hero.

Why did they change the horn, didn't it look as described in the book the first time it showed up? it looks like a weird conch shell harmonica now, boo.

Book Nynaeve knows she can only channel when she's angry. show Nynaeve doesn't seem to realize that and is kinda stuck looking sad a lot? she should be constantly furious, not helpless.

Not liking Avihenda equating the Dragon Reborn with the Car'a'carn because that's not how it works in the books!!!

Overall pretty good, it gives me some hope they will do some of the better bits from TDR and TSR next season, but also I feel like things I would prioritize in the story don't line up with things they prioritize so who knows! Hopefully we aren't waiting until the next Trump administration for season 3

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Pretty much agree with all that

Also Lanfear swearing to the Light at the end was a choice.

Edit: If Fares Fares doesn't come back I might riot

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
as sometimes, spoiled raw as they happen thoughts for anyone getting to it late:

that's some good intro i missed it

feels weird about ishamael's motivation just being so out in the open, to everyone

why would she try to lie/mislead about being able to channel again?

dont worry hopper has all his favorite tunes on HERE IN THE DESERT

there are many paths to walk through the night / the wheel weaves as the wheel wills

"ill make you curse the very first kiss your mother gave your father" very WOT poo poo

kind of expecting "you will always be my better" but still hit pretty good in the ol misty eyes

"sword fight" that's a big lol there.

For the light and Shinowa!!! I wish I had a helmeeeeeet

lmao MAT THAT IS CHEEK MY BOY. PURE CHEEK. plus it keeps the blade near him

so glad Egwene didn't take the bluff/decide "I'm gonna be the bigger person here :nerd: "

thanks for letting us know the plan suroth

hop per

that is a goofy fuckin horn. what

"we" will not hold poo poo, if I had a HOTH with me I'm letting them handle it all

that wound is nasty

idk about Moiraine's fire dragon, the Ishy kill sort of lame in general

"where are the others? why aren't we speaking the old tongue?" I kid this scene is loving great great great and makes me want 3 now now now

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Looking at the X-Ray for some of the Heros of the Horn

Adrian Bouchet as Arthur Hawkening (this is how the X-Ray spelled it)

Hélène Tran as Amaresu (the female Dragon)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I need a cigarette

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

getting to see moghedien owned

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I can see why they've made Liandrin a more complex character now because if it's gonna be Lanfear vs. the rest of the Forsaken, she's gonna need a good weapon like Liandrian in her arsenal.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'm pretty mixed on that finale I think. Lots of big changes that seem fine now (and some that don't) but have big ol' implications for future story things, and a few very eyerolly tropey moments. Plus just some very blatant "actually the rules we established don't apply right now" things.

But also some pretty good moments. As is my usual response, the individual actors are pretty much all killing it and it's the writing that is letting the whole thing down.

I think the biggest problem this show will have going forward is that the bad guys are just so much more fun than any of the good guys. (e: except Mat)

Pleads fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 6, 2023

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I have to admit I laughed my rear end off when Let's see what you have to do to earn the heron marked blade this side of the ocean!? And Rand just kills like 20 people in about quarter of a second with the power. Reminded me of Indiana Jones just shooting the guy in grail but turned up to 44. I assume he got the idea from Siuan with the visible multi air blade attack. I would guess the power difference is he can hit that many targets at once while Siuan was doing a more Dark Souls move where they all launch at the same thing

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Nihilarian posted:

moggy seems like she'll be fun

Yes. 10/10 no notes on the episode. Exceeded any and all expectations. I'm loving here for it. My wife just started listening to eye of the world when the episode ended so she can learn the plot before season 3 let's loving goolooo

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I win again, Lew:flame:...s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Episode was good. Not perfect, obviously, but considering what they're working with, they crammed a LOT of stuff in and most of it went off reasonably well.

All I expect out of adaptations like this is that they give me enough "book-reader chills" to offset mediocrity elsewhere, and boy howdy did this episode deliver on that in spades.

Randomly: Mat's "his spear except it's made of the loving dagger" was a super clever way to solve like 3-4 problems in one go -- but what the gently caress! Regular pointy sharp weapons are dangerous enough, but that thing?? Especially since the show gave it that extra "also it's basically a lightsaber" oomph. Cringing every time it's on-screen and not being directly shoved into an enemy.

Biggest complaint, off the top of my head: the fire dragon being 3D instead of a more banner-like thing in the sky higher up. Just seemed like the cheesier option. OTOH, you'd need something that can be seen from 360 degrees, and a spring break beach banner wouldn't work. Eh.

Biggest thing I wasn't expecting but LOVED: Moghedien showing up and also her appearance. Nerdy-rear end outfit, somewhat androgynous vibes, and coming off so sinister/creepy as to make Lan-loving-fear seem pleasant in comparison? so good!!