Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
I'd have more faith in AI upscaling if every AI project released so far wasn't a horrible scam that doesn't work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Aglet56 posted:

I'd have more faith in AI upscaling if every AI project released so far wasn't a horrible scam that doesn't work

excuse me but a lot of people trying to profit from it promise that its going to be amazing and change media forever any day now

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

I just want to say that I appreciate the penultimate example on their page, it really sells it.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Castlevania: Nocturne is fine. Substantial downgrade from the first series. To be fair, the original was uneven and took time to hit its heights, so I'm happy to check in again next season to see if Nocturne finds its footing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Aglet56 posted:

I should point that I'm just in the mograph industry and we all use Topaz a lot for upscaling stuff and NVIDIA is making lots of gains (although mostly for realtime at the moment but they are pressing in all directions). So those are the things I have hope for vs the myriad of tech bro NFT adjacent scams out there.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
The first episode of Lokie Season 2 is streaming now. I watched like half of it and I'm thinking that Disney now makes its shows that accounts for people being on their phone half the time while watching the show. Everything moves really slow, actions are repetitive (characters doing the exact same things multiple times) and every information is repeated multiple times. Ahsoka and Mando season 3 were exactly like that and now I'm convinced that it's intentional. It makes these shows unwatchable to me.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The MCU shows are generally atrocious on multiple levels. They managed to make a Samuel L. Jackson show about body snatchers boring.

Hurting it more is that almost none of the characters were designed to do anything but share time in ensemble casts for two hours, not hold down 8-12 hours of TV.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Eh depends what show you're talking about. I liked the first Loki series and Moon Knight for example

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
First season of Loki was great... hoping season 2 hits the same spot!

Speaking of Asohka... if the only SW show I like is Andor, would I like that?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

that sounds great i love background tv

should I watch Ashoka. I really enjoy making my friend mad by pretending not to know who the character is ( I never watched the cartoons )

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

BS High is a interesting story but the HBO doc is dragging

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

A MIRACLE posted:

that sounds great i love background tv

should I watch Ashoka. I really enjoy making my friend mad by pretending not to know who the character is ( I never watched the cartoons )

Ahsoka is the 5th season of Rebels, so absolutely not.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BonoMan posted:

But it's getting there, especially with how fast things are advancing. Geez why are you this exhausting?

"Oh something is not at 100% of its realization this very second?!?!? NEVER USE IT EVERRRR!" lord

He doesn’t like it lol idk why it’s exhausting. You dont need to force him to like it

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Preserving things from TV is in such a bad state in the first place with rightsholders lazily subbing out real music tracks and the like. When it came time to show stuff in HD there was so little care for how these shows were originally intended to be aired that you had the infamous Malcolm in the Middle open matte "HD" stuff. While that was funny it should show you how little they give a poo poo, putting it in the AI blender at whatever stage of development it's at just doesn't seem wise.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CelticPredator posted:

He doesn’t like it lol idk why it’s exhausting. You dont need to force him to like it

Because I felt like they were making bad faith pot shot arguments that ignore actual advancements. Hope that helps.

Like if the thinking is "this thing was bad one time and will be forever" then I find that sort of short sightedness and cynicism just very exhausting.

If you don't like it, that's totally fine. But if you're judging it on "I saw a bad thing once" ad infinitum, then I don't feel like that's a fair shake. But I've said all I can on it.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 6, 2023

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
edit; double post

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 6, 2023

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I'd rather have a rough sd image than AI resampling even if AI becomes a miracle cure. If we don't have film restoration I'd rather not change the material with an AI "guess"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Famethrowa posted:

I'd rather have a rough sd image than AI resampling even if AI becomes a miracle cure. If we don't have film restoration I'd rather not change the material with an AI "guess"

That's fair. I mean... to be clear I'm not talking about like, full face replacement or something crazy like Corridor is getting (rightfully) dragged for. Just some form of detail enhancement. I mean yeah you're trying to form data from data that's not there, but I'm not really down with some sort of full face replacement Phil Hartman or something. Just want to clarify that.

That's why when I see AI up sampling get thrown in with the myriad of AI content creation gold rush going on, I try to draw that distinction. Anyway I've said my piece Imma go watch Loki.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BonoMan posted:

Speaking of Asohka... if the only SW show I like is Andor, would I like that?

no

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ok I pivoted and am starting God's Favorite Idiot. Cute show

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Everything Disney Star Wars is basically bad MCU style stuff and then there is Andor which is just this weird outlier that somehow ended up really good.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Upsidads posted:

It's the same thing that happened with the Netflix doc about the 737max crashes: the wrongdoing is so brazen that it's very easy (and quick) to explain.

So, BS High ended up having a bunch of talking heads all saying more or less the same things to pad the time.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It's way too chummy with the con to the point it feels scripted

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Everything Disney Star Wars is basically bad MCU style stuff and then there is Andor which is just this weird outlier that somehow ended up really good.

Don't worry, they'll completely ruin it in the second season.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Probably.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Upsidads posted:

It bugged me how in the last five minutes they try to make it about money in prep sports. It's worth talking about but they rush it at the end.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheMopeSquad posted:

Don't worry, they'll completely ruin it in the second season.

As long as Tony Gilroy is involved it will probably be good.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

live with fruit posted:

It bugged me how in the last five minutes they try to make it about money in prep sports. It's worth talking about but they rush it at the end.

The real villain is the exploitation we made along the way!

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Watched Sisu and it was ridiculous but enjoyable.

The new M. Knight movie also isn't complete dogshit so that's almost a win for him I guess. I'm pretty sure an alien pretending to be a human making movies over the last 20 years would make more progress on dialogue and understanding how humans interact with each other though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I rewatched the new Dungeon and Dragons movie at home after falling asleep watching it in the theaters.

It's really good! And heartfelt. And the action is really great as well! Like shockingly well done

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
20 new episodes of American Dad! were just very recently put on Hulu

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Shageletic posted:

I rewatched the new Dungeon and Dragons movie at home after falling asleep watching it in the theaters.

It's really good! And heartfelt. And the action is really great as well! Like shockingly well done

It's much better than I think anyone would have ever guessed.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yup.

Watching the new Castlevania show. Trying to get thru the 1st ep. Does it improve? It's so slow. And the dialogue isn't there to help there either

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I made my boomer parents watch dndwhen they were visiting and my mom liked it and my dad kept asking me lore questions lmao

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Kull the Conqueror is one of my guilty pleasure movies I hope the new d and d movie is like that but better

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The thing I liked about it, is that it feels less like some MCU style setup and more like a modern big budget version of an 80's movie or something. It's not perfect, but it works well as a self contained thing and it's paced pretty well and is often genuinely funny and exciting. It's a movie you can just sit down and watch beginning to end and be satisfied.

Also you don't have to know a single thing about DnD, but it also feels like they did their homework for people who care about the lore. I only watched it cause of Baldurs Gate and 2 months ago I knew fuckall about DnD. If I had watched it then I would have liked it just as much, but everything would have been "generic fantasy poo poo" to me. But since I watched it after BG3 I knew like, virtually every reference they made in the movie.

A MIRACLE posted:

I made my boomer parents watch dndwhen they were visiting and my mom liked it and my dad kept asking me lore questions lmao

My mom went all in on the DnD satanic panic poo poo in the 80s to the point where even a few years ago, I mentioned playing it with some friends and she did a marge simpson groan. I managed to talk my parents into watching it though somehow and they both loved it. Maybe she will finally get over that poo poo lol.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 8, 2023

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Saw Jessica Forever on Shudder and really liked it. It's like an extremely chill Metal Gear Solid. Not much action mind you, it's mostly just about the characters and their little dramas and slices of life in their war orphan militia family on the run from killer drone swarms. Their leader, Jessica, a spirit of empathy and the creator of Outer Heaven basically, but with more therapy (she's just trying to make Big Boss' dream come true, man). There's also a guy named Raiden who really likes katanas.
Your mileage may vary, I understand the people it totally didn't work for or thought it was like...a French CW show or something, but it made me smile. It's pretty low budget and slow at times, a bit goofy, but overall likeable, charming, with some nice pretty and creative moments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBF6CZGIgeo

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Totally Killer was fun. Very low-violence slasher (relatively speaking) that does its best to help you not overanalyze the plot with some solid jokes. I guess it's a very minor spoiler because it's everywhere, but watch if you like goofy time travel plots.

the brownie bit really cracked me up because I realized the "weed was way shittier in the 80s" element immediately and watching the main character figure that out amused me

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Big ups to Our Flag Means Death for introducing me to a Canadian folk musician whose every other song is some serial killer poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbity554pSg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WawzwkM341g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Timber Timbre is great and they put on a good show. Creep on Creepin’ On is probably their best album.

Breaking Bad used their song Magic Arrow during season 3 iirc.