Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I thought it was hilarious how he was like "you guys get away and accomplish the very important mission while I hold them all off at this choke point," then everyone just kind of hung around for a while until he died, then they all ran. I think one of them even had to step over his body to get away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Overall I thought the season was pretty good, I really feel like they could use maybe 2 extra episodes to space things out a bit more and have more time for foreshadowing or setting things up for later payoff.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Big Mutha Truckers 2 posted:

They could do it so his memories only came back while the Horn was active and now it's over his head is a jumbled mess so he's in line with his arc in the books

Yeah this is a good take

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Reddit is very mad about the show which tells me its good

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

All the good Youtubers (book and non-book) loved it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

RC Cola posted:

Reddit is very mad about the show which tells me its good

r/WoT or r/wotshow? Supposed their reactions are different but I haven't checked either and probably won't.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Standing and hooting and hollering at the entire thing. incredible. this is not sarcasm i swear it ruled

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

DTurtle posted:

Who are the good youtubers to follow?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

second question who are the good youtubers to follow whose videos are less than say 5 hours

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I was worried about what they were doing with Mat but this episode totally changed my mind. They hit all his important plot points, (old tongue, memories, premonition of being hanged, sword spear, etc) without having to put in all the confusing/unnecessary snakes/foxes stuff. I bet all that stuff is fully gone from the TV show, which is good because it means they don’t have to disappear Moiraine for multiple seasons. Show good.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RC Cola posted:

Reddit is very mad

The evergreen statement.

DTurtle posted:

I've so far seen, I think, exactly two YouTubers who've consistently hated this season and one of them is some piddly no views office drone guy whose entire life is these books and I think I get more views on my Let's Play channel that I haven't updated in going on two years now than he gets on his WOT monotone rants. And the other is noted racist, misogynist, and queerphobe Shad Brooks, whose brain is so gronked he dresses in medieval jerkins and doublets in his daily life like he's a loving 11th century infantryman otherkin.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

tylertfb posted:

I was worried about what they were doing with Mat but this episode totally changed my mind. They hit all his important plot points, (old tongue, memories, premonition of being hanged, sword spear, etc) without having to put in all the confusing/unnecessary snakes/foxes stuff. I bet all that stuff is fully gone from the TV show, which is good because it means they don’t have to disappear Moiraine for multiple seasons. Show good.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

pik_d posted:

r/WoT or r/wotshow? Supposed their reactions are different but I haven't checked either and probably won't.

I think it was wetland humor. they are very mad that rand isn't cool enough and that egwene is too cool. I agree with like 2 points on egwene, but that's mostly the fundamental breakdown of how adams work and how Ishy didn't just swat her aside like a child. I mean we already saw Lanfear easier take Moirain, Suian, and Rand at the same time. But also its a tv show loosely based on the books so who gives a poo poo.
They are also mad about basically every single thing this thread thinks is good lol

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

theblackw0lf posted:

The Dusty Wheel
WoT Up!
KritterXD
Lezbi Nerdi
Everyday Negros
Unraveling the Pattern

Comedy option: check out Knights Watch and see the most hateful moron you've ever laid eyes on get so mad about a TV show he nearly has a stroke every week while a jpeg of Moiraine voiced by a woman who may or may not be his wife goes "I don't really care :geno:" every ten minutes when he pauses for breath.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

pik_d posted:

r/wotshow generally loves it, r/WoT generally hates it. Which tells you it's good.

Phobeste posted:

second question who are the good youtubers to follow whose videos are less than say 5 hours

https://www.youtube.com/@edn

https://www.youtube.com/@LezbiNerdy

https://www.youtube.com/@ToriTalksTV

2 non-readers and 1 reader. Lezbi is the only reader channel I follow because she does videos that are less than an hour long. I can't stand the dusty wheel 6 hours poo poo.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 6, 2023

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

RC Cola posted:

I think it was wetland humor. they are very mad that rand isn't cool enough and that egwene is too cool. I agree with like 2 points on egwene, but that's mostly the fundamental breakdown of how adams work and how Ishy didn't just swat her aside like a child. I mean we already saw Lanfear easier take Moirain, Suian, and Rand at the same time. But also its a tv show loosely based on the books so who gives a poo poo.
They are also mad about basically every single thing this thread thinks is good lol

Oh god yeah I thought that subreddit would be just fun memes but it was just a circle jerk of who can hate S2 (before it was even out) the most. Not surprised that's still the vibe there

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I just really hope the pseudo ashanderai stuff from this episode doesn't mean we're losing the doorways.

Really, it ties into the biggest thing I think the show has handled poorly in this transition - the idea of prophecy. In the books, prophecies are hugely relevant, there's lots of them, about lots of things. From Min's symbolic visions, to the dark prophecies, karetheon cycle, foretelling, etc, the reader is constantly given these glimpses of possible futures that they can use to mull over the actual happenings within the story.

These are really important for more than just novelty though - characters react in their own ways to what they hear and believe.

The show throws most of this away. The little bits we get don't feel important, it honestly just sounds silly when Moiraine says a fragment of something one time before it immediately comes true. It just feels like a big part of the world is missing to me.

pik_d posted:

Oh god yeah I thought that subreddit would be just fun memes but it was just a circle jerk of who can hate S2 (before it was even out) the most. Not surprised that's still the vibe there

It's sad to me because all of the shittiest posters that got banned from everywhere else flooded that place with random dumb show hate instead of the previously funny memes and poo poo.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

CainFortea posted:

r/wotshow generally loves it, r/WoT generally hates it. Which tells you it's good.

[video type="youtube"]@edn[/video]

[video type="youtube"]@LezbiNerdy[/video]

[video type="youtube"]@ToriTalksTV[/video]

2 non-readers and 1 reader. Lezbi is the only reader channel I follow because she does videos that are less than an hour long. I can't stand the dusty wheel 6 hours poo poo.

ty, those 6 hour things are insane

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Phobeste posted:

ty, those 6 hour things are insane

Not YouTube, but I've enjoyed The Wheel Weaves and Feather and Mountain podcast episode reactions. TWW have done ~40 minute episode reactions, while F&Ms are like 2 hours.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Really, it ties into the biggest thing I think the show has handled poorly in this transition - the idea of prophecy.

I don't agree here. I think the show is playing with the theme of prophecy in a way that the books did, but at a step removed.

In the books people constantly think they have prophecy figured out. And poo poo does not ever go the way they think it is. Elayne, Elaida, hell even Rand most of the time. He treats prophecy as a dare almost.

And we're constantly doing the same thing, as viewers. Especially as book watchers.

This thread was full of speculation about how the fight in the sky was going to happen. About how rand would become bannered across the sky in flame.

And we were all wrong.

I think we're going to get more prophecy stuff as Rand really starts to internalize being the Dragon, especially when he deals with the Aiel.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

That episode ruled and the season ruled. Lanfear chucking Moiraine through the doorway was lol, Moghedien trapping Lanfear in her moment of triumph was megalol.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The moggy but ruled cause it really gives her her own flavor. She set a trap for lanfear who walked right in, so she had the power. Helps sell the idea that different characters have different strengths in different circumstances.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

100% on board with Mat's memories fading and trying to get them back, otherwise he kinda doesn't have an arc after this. They need to put him on the back foot somehow.

Also impressed by how... intimate they manage to make the warder bond without stepping into sexual? They really sell it as a kind of connection that we just don't really have an analog for in reality.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

The Dusty Wheel - Long form streaming discussions with various Youtubers.
Nae‘blis - Some deep dive videos, some longer discussions. One of the more critical, but still liking Season 2 book readers. He gave the finale a 7/10.
Daniel Greene - General Fantasy news. The most critical book reader I watch. Hasn‘t watched episode 8, as he is doing a live first watch reaction with Brandon Sanderson and Matt from the Dusty Wheel next week
Road to Tar Valon - Episode recaps and highlights from a book reader
KritterXD - reactions and highlights from an Egwene fan book reader, as well as a stream with various guests (always including a non-book reader for the first hour)
WoT Up! - WoT show news, episode recaps, etc. from a Gawyn(?!) fan - a good follow if you want every tiny little scrap of show news, information, spoilers, rumors, etc.
Unraveling the Pattern - episode recaps, highlights, deep dives (including WoT book stuff), etc.
Everyday Negroes - Non-book reader reactions. Known for giving characters the best names (Brother Book, Sister Slay, etc.)
Tori Talks - episode discussions from two non-book readers

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 6, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Chomposaur posted:

100% on board with Mat's memories fading and trying to get them back, otherwise he kinda doesn't have an arc after this. They need to put him on the back foot somehow.

Also impressed by how... intimate they manage to make the warder bond without stepping into sexual? They really sell it as a kind of connection that we just don't really have an analog for in reality.

Could also be his memories are all there, but it's confusing and hard to make sense of. So he still needs to find some external things to help them all make sense. Either way works really.

I saw on tumblr someone mentioned how it was nice for moiraine to get hetero platonically married again so soon after her gay marriage fell apart.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DTurtle posted:

Everyday Negroes - Non-book reader reactions. Known for giving characters the best names (Brother Book, Sister Slay, etc.)

Sister strong jaw, slick Rick, brother sensitive.

They really do have the best nicknames.

Edit: woops forgot to edit that into my post

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CainFortea posted:

Sister strong jaw, slick Rick, brother sensitive.

They really do have the best nicknames.

Edit: woops forgot to edit that into my post

My mother is poo poo at remembering names so she's just started calling Liandran Sister Strong Jaw every time she talks about the show/books to me now.

"What's that False Dragon guy... Rogaine?"

"That's a hair drug :what:"

"Logain! :haw:"

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
I had not considered it but the reversal on Lanfear tossing Moiraine through a door and semi-stranding her is delicious.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

RC Cola posted:

I think it was wetland humor.

During the first season of the show the "bookcloak" types got kicked out of everywhere except wetlanderhumor, which allowed them to stay under a "equal jokes for all" theory. Unfortunately this developed into the nazi bar problem. R/aielhumor is am alternative.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It was a typo,

he was bannered across the sky in Falme

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Why in the world would you want to follow a Wheel of Time YouTuber?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I liked Moghadien, that's a proper creepy Forsaken. Her vs. Lanfear should be fun as hell.

I'm hoping they do Mat's memories/skills as someone already said, where blowing the horn opened the door but they're still all jumbled/piecemeal. Otherwise they're skipping a big part of his journey to being the hero he actually is.

Ingtar's "I can hold them" didn't work for me. He said the line "One man could hold 50 here" and they promptly left that spot and ran somewhere else. I think they missed a lot dropping his being a darkfriend. It showed people could change and try to not be evil like Verin does. Dropping it cuts out that throughline of people who serve the shadow aren't always mustache twirlingly evil.

And Uno being Gaidal makes perfect sense. In the books he got spun out and born right around the last battle, which means he had to be a Hero in the dream world to get born out. As for Birgitte, the X-Ray thing on Amazon straight up says that actress is playing Birgitte SIlverbow. They weren't trying to hide it.

I thought the effect for them was kind of iffy though. They did it for production reasons, sure. But they didn't really give the impression that they could destroy an army like they did in the books. Hell, at Falme Birgitte was riding a horse across the water and lighting ships on fire and sinking them with her arrows. They're magical heroes, just being badass fighters in one small area just seemed like a bad choice.

Decent episode, but holy poo poo that Hopper bit. Focusing on a dying wolf for that long, drat.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

You know, I'm just gonna point this out.

Mat dreamily says "I'm a Hero of the Horn."
Hawkwing replies "you have fought by my side many times."

That's not actually a yes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I loved everything about that finale. Holy poo poo. That was amazing.

Mat blowing the Horn is gonna live in my head for a while. I got actually emotional watching it. Extremely well done.

Egwene rescuing herself was perfectly brutal. I kept waiting for her to not kill her torturer, like shows would normally do, but was happy to be proven wrong. That felt earned.

I laughed at Rand disposing Turak so quickly. It makes perfect sense with the show not focusing on Rand's sword fighting much at all. It would be insane if he was suddenly a master swordsman.

Love where the show is at now. Can't wait for next season.

I walk my daughter to school with a neighbor and her kids every day, and she's watching the show but has never read the books and knows I have. She asked me this morning after watching the show way early, "Does Rand end up with Elayne?" And I was like, "Um...I can't really tell you that," not knowing an easy way to answer. But I guess they sold that meet-cute perfectly. She also said this was her favorite episode yet, and said she thinks she needs to read the books. I told her I have them if she wants them, but I feel that's being a bad neighbor.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DTurtle posted:

a Gawyn(?!) fan

:stonk:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

seaborgium posted:

But they didn't really give the impression that they could destroy an army like they did in the books.

Sounds like someone hasn't tried a blade sandevistan build on cyberpunk 2077 yet.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

DTurtle posted:

The Dusty Wheel - Long form streaming discussions with various Youtubers.
Nae‘blis - Some deep dive videos, some longer discussions. One of the more critical, but still liking Season 2 book readers. He gave the finale a 7/10.
Daniel Greene - General Fantasy news. The most critical book reader I watch. Hasn‘t watched episode 8, as he is doing a live first watch reaction with Brandon Sanderson and Matt from the Dusty Wheel next week
Road to Tar Valon - Episode recaps and highlights from a book reader
KritterXD - reactions and highlights from an Egwene fan book reader, as well as a stream with various guests (always including a non-book reader for the first hour)
WoT Up! - WoT show news, episode recaps, etc. from a Gawyn(?!) fan - a good follow if you want every tiny little scrap of show news, information, spoilers, rumors, etc.
Unraveling the Pattern - episode recaps, highlights, deep dives (including WoT book stuff), etc.
Tori Talks - episode discussions from two non-book readers

I'm sorry I've read a lot of insane stuff in this thread but I refuse to believe that there exists anyone who's a Gawyn fan

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Gwaihir posted:

I'm sorry I've read a lot of insane stuff in this thread but I refuse to believe that there exists anyone who's a Gawyn fan

Egwene?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

By the end of the series she only just about tolerates him as well