Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Waiting for Luffy to punch the poo poo out of a Gorosei.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Nodosaur posted:

Luffy punching Charlos may be the most satisfying moment in the manga thus far.

Hell yeah man.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

ChaseSP posted:

Waiting for Luffy to punch the poo poo out of a Gorosei.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Nodosaur posted:

Luffy punching Charlos may be the most satisfying moment in the manga.

Almost, at least.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

It’s probably my favorite Luffy Punch, but don’t worry there’s tons more good ones ahead of you

Edit watch the anime scene for it
https://youtu.be/IX2EfnTc_Eg?si=r3UwCEukeg303CjA

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

It’s probably my favorite Luffy Punch, but don’t worry there’s tons more good ones ahead of you

Hm. I like the build up, but I also liked how sudden it was in the manga. Both are good in different ways.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think the reason it works so well even in retrospect is he does the brave thing and everyone panics and there are immediate insane consequences. I never really cared all that much about the EL flag burning because it didnt actually change anything.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

Hm. I like the build up, but I also liked how sudden it was in the manga. Both are good in different ways.

A victim of the anime pacing unfortunately, for future viewings just skip right to the punch

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nodosaur posted:

:bisonyes:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

the anime is always stretching out luffys punches so the impact lasts like ten seconds. the windup and ghe follow through can be long but the impact should always be sudden. its frustrating

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

the anime is always stretching out luffys punches so the impact lasts like ten seconds. the windup and ghe follow through can be long but the impact should always be sudden. its frustrating

The anime's portrayal of Luffy's punches and kicks runs into a weird problem where it looks like Luffy is always giving his opponents openings that they aren't taking. Though really this is just part of the way action scenes in anime directly adapted from manga are; you can't take the passage of time too literally.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

The decisive punches turning into episode-long beam battles is one of the anime's worst transgressions

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

No Wave posted:

I think the reason it works so well even in retrospect is he does the brave thing and everyone panics and there are immediate insane consequences. I never really cared all that much about the EL flag burning because it didnt actually change anything.

Honestly, I always forget about burning the flag. It's just some action that flips the switch so Robin can believe in friendship. In the greater context though it makes no sense. Pirates are already enemies of the world government, and ones that get nearly every bounty increase because of loving with some Marine or The WG's system are even more so.

Simply by breaking into Enies Lobby, Luffy and the Crew have proven that they won't betray her.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

scary ghost dog posted:

Always reminded of the egregious back and forth between Luffy/Doffy at the climax of that fight, but I did feel like they really nailed it with Luffy/Katakuri.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
rewatching the mihawk scenes from the live action and on first watch i was too shocked to notice this: when we first see him on the baratie, mihawk perks up slightly when usopp mentions luffy, then immediately asks about him. he was just chilling with usopp at the bar having a conversation before that lmao

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Punching Bellamy for the first time is my personal favorite (second is good but tragic)

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Hear me out here. Hear me out for a minute.

Nurturer's Haki. You are forever locked out of overriding the will of other people for the sake of your own ambition (no conqueror's haki), but you can bolster them to follow their own dreams, and can heal others.

Sanji Has it.

Brook has it.

Portgas D. Rouge had it.

Chopper never gets it because lol.

Desumaytah fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 7, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

wow

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

wow is right. I'm bad at this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'll forever love that from Law's point of view, Luffy gatecrashes the slaver's auction, frees a mermaid, and punches out a Celestial Dragon. This is AFTER Law has probably already heard about Luffy assaulting Enies Lobby and declaring war on the World Government. Next thing he knows, Luffy disappears for two years and then shows up on Punk Hazard right in the heart of the scientific force being used by Doflamingo to maintain a relationship/protective status from Kaido. CLEARLY this Luffy is a strategist, a disrupter, somebody who can read the scene and with surgical precision tear it all apart. THIS is a guy he can consider an equal, and it is better to have him as a temporary ally before their inevitable rivalry as they both aim for the same top dog status in the world.

30 seconds later, he's got Chopper tied to his head and Luffy is openly declaring their strategy/plans down a random Den Den Mushi he got his hands on. :laugh:

scary ghost dog posted:

rewatching the mihawk scenes from the live action and on first watch i was too shocked to notice this: when we first see him on the baratie, mihawk perks up slightly when usopp mentions luffy, then immediately asks about him. he was just chilling with usopp at the bar having a conversation before that lmao

That's loving awesome :allears:

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
One of my favorite things about One Piece's power scaling is that it does a good job of making you look back on moments and realize that a super impressive thing was a character not even trying. It's clear as we go on that Mihawk and the Admirals are probably on Four-Emperors-level power, but we've only seen them barely trying in the grand scheme of things. At the same time, we've also seen how similar ranks don't mean similar abilities, as the Seven Warlords were of vastly different capabilities.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

*gets to the end of the second Kuma fight in Sabaody*

Well.

gently caress.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
too many kumas

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Nodosaur posted:

Well.

gently caress.
Enjoy the next fifty chapters, because you'll never read them for the first time again!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I'll forever love that from Law's point of view, Luffy gatecrashes the slaver's auction, frees a mermaid, and punches out a Celestial Dragon. This is AFTER Law has probably already heard about Luffy assaulting Enies Lobby and declaring war on the World Government. Next thing he knows, Luffy disappears for two years and then shows up on Punk Hazard right in the heart of the scientific force being used by Doflamingo to maintain a relationship/protective status from Kaido. CLEARLY this Luffy is a strategist, a disrupter, somebody who can read the scene and with surgical precision tear it all apart. THIS is a guy he can consider an equal, and it is better to have him as a temporary ally before their inevitable rivalry as they both aim for the same top dog status in the world.

30 seconds later, he's got Chopper tied to his head and Luffy is openly declaring their strategy/plans down a random Den Den Mushi he got his hands on. :laugh:

Law and Kidd definitely know about Luffy, I think Kidd even remarks "this guy is just as crazy as the rumors say!" after he punches out a Celestial Dragon and getting to see him go wild is the main reason they aren't even pissed that he just brought down an admiral on their head.

One correction tho: Law is still chilling at Sabaody when the Summit War was going on and decides to head over there (presumably to help against the marines?) and is the one who rescues the unconscious Luffy and treats him then takes him to Amazon Lily. So actually more than any of the other supernovas he probably had a bit of inside info to know that Luffy was going to lay low with Raleigh for awhile, while the rest are just baffled that this guy was last seen hanging out with Dark King Rayleigh then vanished from the news for 2 full years.

(but still, based on the allies that he headed into Marineford with, surviving the war and being connected to all these insanely powerful people, it was still probably a big turnaround to realize Luffy is largely an idiot who is winging it all the time)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

One correction tho: Law is still chilling at Sabaody when the Summit War was going on and decides to head over there (presumably to help against the marines?) and is the one who rescues the unconscious Luffy and treats him then takes him to Amazon Lily. So actually more than any of the other supernovas he probably had a bit of inside info to know that Luffy was going to lay low with Raleigh for awhile, while the rest are just baffled that this guy was last seen hanging out with Dark King Rayleigh then vanished from the news for 2 full years.

Oh yeah, I did straight up forget that Law is there at the end of Marineford. Though again it probably plays into him thinking Luffy is a bit more of a planner than he is, given Luffy institutes a prison breakout and is apparently working on the level of some of the heaviest hitters in the One Piece world.

Guy A. Person posted:

(but still, based on the allies that he headed into Marineford with, surviving the war and being connected to all these insanely powerful people, it was still probably a big turnaround to realize Luffy is largely an idiot who is winging it all the time)

Yep! And God it's loving hilarious when it really sinks in for him that Luffy's a gigantic (beautiful) moron.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nodosaur posted:

Well.

gently caress.

The end, no moral.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

No Wave posted:

Enjoy the next fifty chapters, because you'll never read them for the first time again!

I wish I could experience it for the first time all over again. What a crazy ride that was

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Impel Down was such a goddamn awesome arc and I hope we see Magellan again now that someone with demon horns that aren't glued on has shown up.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Hiro Protagonist posted:

One of my favorite things about One Piece's power scaling is that it does a good job of making you look back on moments and realize that a super impressive thing was a character not even trying. It's clear as we go on that Mihawk and the Admirals are probably on Four-Emperors-level power, but we've only seen them barely trying in the grand scheme of things. At the same time, we've also seen how similar ranks don't mean similar abilities, as the Seven Warlords were of vastly different capabilities.

Absolutely. Will continue to attest that OP's greatest strength is that it sets it's power scale early with Mihawk and has deviated surprisingly little since then!

Actual rankings are ultimately dumb as hell, but by establishing a ceiling early on, Oda's managed to really make every development feel like progress.

Re-read Sabody and Marineford, and you have the Admiral's only being actually matched by Whitebead's captains and circumstance. Kizaru is playing with toys in his first appearance, until he's going against Roger's first mate. Whitebeard gets to show his poo poo, but is immediately called out by multiple characters as suffering from being old and sickness as to why he's taking so many hits. & Luffy only does as well as he does because of all the assists he gets. It's remarkable, and unparalleled in a comic series for my money.

Nodosaur posted:

Well.

gently caress.

You're on the freefall my man. So excited for the next few days of you reading this.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Well.

gently caress.

That was the then current chapter when I decided to see what this One Piece thingy was about, and I immediately stopped everything to read from the start. Even without context it was clearly a bold story choice.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That was the then current chapter when I decided to see what this One Piece thingy was about, and I immediately stopped everything to read from the start. Even without context it was clearly a bold story choice.

Spoilers for first timers: making the choice to have the crew separated from each other for two years of the manga’s run, so that the protagonist can risk life and limb, ad generally get put through the wringer, only for him to fail at the finish line, is probably one of the most ballsey things any shonen author has done.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jerusalem posted:

Jimbei had a similar thing where he pretty much only saw Luffy through the lens of a guy going against all odds to save his brother, and only realizes how loving stupid Luffy is after the events of Fishman Island is over.

And he still doesn't understand that it's not just Luffy, it's Zoro too, cause in Wano he lets Zoro go after Luffy cause he thinks, "Yeah, Zoro can probably keep Luffy in line" not understanding the Zoro is the second dumbest member of the crew.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think in the second instance it was an aggressively stupid move because really, you’re sending Zoro to find someone? Mr “I literally got lost walking in a straight line once” Bushido? But also it ended up being dumb because Zoro ended up finding Luffy and just telling him “drat those fuckers wasted the red bean soup? You’re right Luffy they need to die”

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Zoro being 110% ride or die with Luffy is easily his best character trait imo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Jimbei had a similar thing where he pretty much only saw Luffy through the lens of a guy going against all odds to save his brother, and only realizes how loving stupid Luffy is after the events of Fishman Island is over.

And he still doesn't understand that it's not just Luffy, it's Zoro too, cause in Wano he lets Zoro go after Luffy cause he thinks, "Yeah, Zoro can probably keep Luffy in line" not understanding the Zoro is the second dumbest member of the crew.

This in turn reminds me of Zou, before Jimbei had joined, and you get the "adults" of the Straw Hats sitting up to wait for Kinemon, Raizou and Kanjuro to make the climb, because it's important they warn them not to make themselves known to the inhabitants. They all congratulate each other on being the reliable, sensible ones of the groups... then all fall asleep and completely gently caress up the one job they were trying to do :3:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jerusalem posted:

This in turn reminds me of Zou, before Jimbei had joined, and you get the "adults" of the Straw Hats sitting up to wait for Kinemon, Raizou and Kanjuro to make the climb, because it's important they warn them not to make themselves known to the inhabitants. They all congratulate each other on being the reliable, sensible ones of the groups... then all fall asleep and completely gently caress up the one job they were trying to do :3:

Yeah that was a cute moment too.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The only person in the entire run of the manga who has managed to reign Luffy in was Vivi. Everyone else has at one point or another spectacularly failed at being the adult in the room. Like, remember when Sanji and Nami specifically went with Luffy to check his crazy, and he still asked the Skeleton Man to join the crew?

The only difference between sending Zoro or Chopper after Luffy, aside from one of them actually finding him, is that Zoro is the one guy even more likely than Luffy to get into a fight.

Admittedly there's a pretty good chance that Robin could actually get him to listen, but Robin has never shown any inclination that she'd want to try.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Mifraud is NOT on Yonko level and only demonstrated his power against absolute fodder and struggled against a subordinate of Whitebeard's who might not even be on his top 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I’m flattered y’all are so invested in my read through