Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
There's a pretty radical difference between a notion of inevitability qua economic fundamentals and deficit spending, versus "one political party will specifically and deliberately destroy everything".

hypnophant posted:

I don't think we're going to raise income taxes by 8% across the board, but I also subscribe to the MMT idea that debt isn't a meaningful fiscal constraint so it doesn't matter. However, I do think the influence of tax protestors on fiscal policy is past its peak. We'll find out in another month and a half but I don't see a way for the eight dumbest republican congresspersons to force through massive, and massively unpopular, cuts. They might be able to force a voluntary default, and I expect that will be the end of any meaningful career they have in congress.

I'm used to "tax protestors" referring to sovcits, but I assume that's not what you mean here?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Subvisual Haze posted:

I admire the purity of heart and faith many of you have in the eternal economic growth of America.

There's a difference between that and knowing enough economics to know what you're positing is wrong, but thanks for engaging in the fallacy of appealing to motive to make clear how baseless in real knowledge your argument is.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
If only we could go back to the good governance of blaming Joe Manchin for accomplishing nothing. Or the Parliamentarian. Or the existence of the filibuster.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm used to "tax protestors" referring to sovcits, but I assume that's not what you mean here?

ehh broadly I'm talking about Grover Norquist, Americans for Tax Reform, and their ideological allies which includes a pretty broad swath. Sovcits are an offshoot but they don't have any influence of their own.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

hypnophant posted:

ehh broadly I'm talking about Grover Norquist, Americans for Tax Reform, and their ideological allies which includes a pretty broad swath. Sovcits are an offshoot but they don't have any influence of their own.

Gotcha, starve the beasters.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

There's a difference between that and knowing enough economics to know what you're positing is wrong, but thanks for engaging in the fallacy of appealing to motive to make clear how baseless in real knowledge your argument is.

Post/avatar game on point today

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Subvisual Haze posted:

If only we could go back to the good governance of blaming Joe Manchin for accomplishing nothing. Or the Parliamentarian. Or the existence of the filibuster.

At this point you seem to be spouting shibboleths that only make sense to an audience of people who all consume the exact same half-dozen podcasts you have in heavy rotation. Probably time to sit this one out.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Lots of handwaving this problem away itt with hypotheticals like the US suddenly taxing an additional 8% of GDP or doing away with corruption/misappropriation of funds (lol). I really don’t think Subvisual Haze is totally off the map here.

And so what if OECD countries tax GDP at an 8% higher rate than the US. Isn’t that funding single payer healthcare systems and other broad social safety nets? Not just, ya know, servicing debt interest?

MMT is also a pipe dream, there is no free lunch. The Congressional Budget Office expects interest payments to make up 6.7% of GDP by 2053. By that measure, US debt interest payments will become the single biggest federal expenditure by 2051, when it eclipses Social Security.

I don’t know what it means when the US can’t service its debt obligations but I’m not particularly eager to find out either. Are there solutions? Sure. Will they be implemented? That is the hard part and has yet to be seen

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

hobbez posted:

I don’t know what it means when the US can’t service its debt obligations but I’m not particularly eager to find out either. Are there solutions? Sure. Will they be implemented? That is the hard part and has yet to be seen

I fully trust in america to do the right thing, after it’s tried everything else

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
also funding the social safety net is two thirds of what the federal government does. That’s very much where most of the money goes.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

hobbez posted:

Lots of handwaving this problem away itt with hypotheticals like the US suddenly taxing an additional 8% of GDP or doing away with corruption/misappropriation of funds (lol). I really don’t think Subvisual Haze is totally off the map here.

And so what if OECD countries tax GDP at an 8% higher rate than the US. Isn’t that funding single payer healthcare systems and other broad social safety nets? Not just, ya know, servicing debt interest?

MMT is also a pipe dream, there is no free lunch. The Congressional Budget Office expects interest payments to make up 6.7% of GDP by 2053. By that measure, US debt interest payments will become the single biggest federal expenditure by 2051, when it eclipses Social Security.

You're solidly on the side of "economists" who use excel (doesn't float enough integers) badly to build economic models.

https://www.businessinsider.com/reinhart-and-rogoff-admit-excel-blunder-2013-4

It's weird how the people making these kind of claims about deficit borrowing always want to cut social services and are also incompetent. You're in good company.

Also lol that your forecast of the future says the major problem facing the US economy in 30 years is going to be excessive borrowing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I guess where I'm going with this is, China was going to design their own chip eventually. There's a bunch of both low power Arduino style (which are backwards compatible with the .... M3? ARM instruction set going back to the 1980s) and med-low desktop style RISC-V CPUs coming out of China now. It's kind of funny because Berkeley designed and released the RISC-V instruction set for free and will (more than 50%, guess) become the bedrock of Chinese cpu design

That speculation aside, seems like China was going to catch up with the US and Taiwan within a decade, the highly specialized lithography machines coming out of Europe (Netherlands ?) are the lynchpin of the industry and we've stopped export to China so that will slow them down, but as far as competitors who are experts in reverse engineering tech is China

Updates

https://www.reuters.com/technology/us-china-tech-war-risc-v-chip-technology-emerges-new-battleground-2023-10-06/

quote:

US-China tech war: RISC-V chip technology emerges as new battleground

In a new front in the U.S.-China tech war, President Joe Biden's administration is facing pressure from some lawmakers to restrict American companies from working on a freely available chip technology widely used in China - a move that could upend how the global technology industry collaborates across borders.

Some lawmakers - including two Republican House of Representatives committee chairmen, Republican Senator Marco Rubio and Democratic Senator Mark Warner - are urging Biden's administration to take action regarding RISC-V, citing national security grounds.

The lawmakers expressed concerns that Beijing is exploiting a culture of open collaboration among American companies to advance its own semiconductor industry, which could erode the current U.S. lead in the chip field and help China modernize its military. Their comments represent the first major effort to put constraints on work by U.S. companies on RISC-V.

Representative Mike Gallagher, chairman of the House select committee on China, said in a statement to Reuters that the Commerce Department needs to "require any American person or company to receive an export license prior to engaging with PRC (People's Republic of China) entities on RISC-V technology."

Such calls to regulate RISC-V are the latest in the U.S.-China battle over chip technology that escalated last year with sweeping export restrictions that the Biden administration has told China it will update this month.

"The CCP (Chinese Communist Party) is abusing RISC-V to get around U.S. dominance of the intellectual property needed to design chips. U.S. persons should not be supporting a PRC tech transfer strategy that serves to degrade U.S. export control laws," Representative Michael McCaul, chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, said in a statement to Reuters.

McCaul said he wants action from the Bureau of Industry and Security, the part of the Commerce Department that oversees export-control regulations, and would pursue legislation if that does not materialize.

Some guy in the comments keeps pointing out that Marco Rubio took a bunch of campaign money ($250k usd?) from softbank which is in cahoots with ARM and their IPO

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
My job would be a lot easier if we loosened up immigration policy. USCIS can suck it.

Seriously, what percentage of inflation is driven by the labor market dislocation?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Borscht posted:

My job would be a lot easier if we loosened up immigration policy. USCIS can suck it.

Seriously, what percentage of inflation is driven by the labor market dislocation?

Can you define that term for us in the cheap seats? When I search for that term, mostly I get are things from Brookings so I'm looking askance at that for the moment. I found a definition of a Dislocated Worker from the state of Connecticut but I don't understand how it relates to immigration.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

pseudanonymous posted:

You're solidly on the side of "economists" who use excel (doesn't float enough integers) badly to build economic models.

https://www.businessinsider.com/reinhart-and-rogoff-admit-excel-blunder-2013-4

It's weird how the people making these kind of claims about deficit borrowing always want to cut social services and are also incompetent. You're in good company.

Also lol that your forecast of the future says the major problem facing the US economy in 30 years is going to be excessive borrowing.

When did I say I want to cut social services? When did I say it’s “the major problem.”

You’re free to make a counter argument any time, all I see is a list of complete non sequiters

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

Can you define that term for us in the cheap seats? When I search for that term, mostly I get are things from Brookings so I'm looking askance at that for the moment. I found a definition of a Dislocated Worker from the state of Connecticut but I don't understand how it relates to immigration.

I was attempting to refer to the fact that in the global labor market, labor supply and labor demand are not fulfilling each other because of dumb racism.

I was using it a little loosely and maybe a little inaccurately too. Market dislocations happen when price, supply, and demand get out of whack. We're undersupplied on labor and there's literally tens of millions of people who would love to come to the US, participate in our economy and build a prosperous life. That should lower inflation as well since there would be a productivity boost associated with all that new labor.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Bringing this over from the home buying thread:

QuarkJets posted:

e: Put another way, you said "Cost of shelter may go up vs inflation, but you can’t ignore income gains." But real income has not been growing, it's been stagnant for decades. If the cost of shelter is going up vs inflation (it is), and real income is not going up vs inflation (true), then the cost of shelter is going up vs real income (also true)

This is easily proven false. Real personal income in the USA has went steadily up over decades:
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/RPI

Basically a 7x over 50 years. Granted it was not equally distributed across the population but that’s a different topic.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

pmchem posted:

Granted it was not equally distributed across the population but that’s a different topic.

Come on man.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

pmchem posted:

Granted it was not equally distributed across the population but that’s a different topic.

The heaviest lift "granted" has ever done here

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

The heaviest lift "granted" has ever done here

Gimme a break, you guys want median real household or personal income instead? Those are also up 30% since the 80s, just a younger time series:

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MEHOINUSA672N

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MEPAINUSA672N

Real income has went up any way you wanna slice it

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

pmchem posted:

Gimme a break, you guys want median real household or personal income instead? Those are also up 30% since the 80s, just a younger time series:

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MEHOINUSA672N

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MEPAINUSA672N

Real income has went up any way you wanna slice it

Generously that shows a 10% increase (~68k to ~76k). The cost of housing since 2010 has gone up.....more than 10%

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

Generously that shows a 10% increase (~68k to ~76k). The cost of housing since 2010 has gone up.....more than 10%

You’re making the same mistake that Quark did in comparing real and nominal metrics. Also, clearly, my ~30% number was from the start of that series. Dunno why you picked 2010 but ok.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

pmchem posted:

You’re making the same mistake that Quark did in comparing real and nominal metrics. Also, clearly, my ~30% number was from the start of that series. Dunno why you picked 2010 but ok.

I picked 2010 because it's a solid post-recession falloff.

If you look from the start of the series in 1980 and use the 300% increase from your first chart, the indexed home price has gone up over 1,000%.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/USSTHPI

There just isn't a world where housing has stayed 'as affordable', let alone 'more affordable' compared to any point in the past (except for the covid-era spikes).

e; The fed even agrees with this via their own 'housing affordability index' so I'm not sure what you're arguing. https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/FIXHAI

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
"Real income is not going up versus inflation" is not a sensible statement, but quark was correct in the thrust of his argument (at least the part pmchem quoted) that housing affordability is going down for most americans. Everyone knows and agrees with that, and the fact that quark made an amateur mistake in his post didn't change the conclusion. This thread is for quibbling over the economics, which is why it's appropriate to point out that it's meaningless to compare real income to inflation, since real income is, by definition, nominal income with inflation removed.

Skyl3lazer posted:

e; The fed even agrees with this via their own 'housing affordability index' so I'm not sure what you're arguing. https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/FIXHAI

The fed doesn't have any tools to do anything about house prices separate from prices in the aggregate. If congress wants to make housing more affordable, it needs to take specific fiscal action to do something about either the supply or demand for housing.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

I picked 2010 because it's a solid post-recession falloff.

If you look from the start of the series in 1980 and use the 300% increase from your first chart, the indexed home price has gone up over 1,000%.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/USSTHPI

There just isn't a world where housing has stayed 'as affordable', let alone 'more affordable' compared to any point in the past (except for the covid-era spikes).

You can’t possibly be using an index started in 2022 to argue about multi decade trends lol.

House prices have went up a lot but do you have any idea what mortgage rates were at the start of your comp, 1980? Super high. Look at mortgage payments relative to disposable income:
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MDSP
Significantly down since 1980.

Or look at nominal median personal income vs shelter since your 1980 date:
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/graph/fredgraph.png?g=19QKI

Shelter has gotten more affordable for the median American since 1980.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

pmchem posted:

You can’t possibly be using an index started in 2022 to argue about multi decade trends lol.

House prices have went up a lot but do you have any idea what mortgage rates were at the start of your comp, 1980? Super high. Look at mortgage payments relative to disposable income:

1980 is almost exactly when the trend in housing diverges from the trend in all prices, so I think your second graph is misleading.

VVV:

quote:

The expenditure weight in the CPI market basket for OER is based on the following question that the Consumer Expenditure Survey asks of consumers who own their primary residence:

“If someone were to rent your home today, how much do you think it would rent for monthly, unfurnished and without utilities?”
For more information about the relationship between reported rents and OER, see Reconciling User Costs and Rental Equivalence: Evidence from the U.S. Consumer Expenditure Survey.

The following questions, asked of consumers who rent their primary residence, are the basis of the weight for rent:

“What is the rental charge to your [household] for this unit including any extra charges for garage and parking facilities? Do not include direct payments by local, state or federal agencies. What period of time does this cover?”
From the responses to these questions, the CPI program estimates the total shelter cost to all consumers living in each index area of the urban United States, which is then used to weight the OER index. Note that these responses are not used in estimating price change for the shelter categories, only the weight.

Oof. Owner's equivalent rent has 3.5x the weighting of rent of primary residence.

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 7, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
cpi shelter is an absolute fuckin joke which will reveal itself instantly if you ever look up how they figure it out

housing affordability went to absolute poo poo but use a different measure like income actually spent on housing

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Yes, shelter is part of CPI and has went up more than the composite index but if you’re taking about whether it’s easier to afford shelter, you can’t just ignore income changes. Look again at the plot of median personal income divided by cpi shelter. Median income has increased faster than shelter costs, since 1980 (or most other starting points).

As an aside, this is one reason why people hated the stagflation of the 70s so much: housing was getting much less affordable for a period there.

e: bob I also linked mortgage payments relative to disposable income, if you don’t like cpi shelter.

The housing market sucks right now but I’m amazed that people refuse to concede to plain data that affordability got better over 40 years. Gotta take some emotion out of the analysis.

pmchem fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 7, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Could your average pizza delivery driver and waitress couple buy a house today?

Because that's what my parents did in 1988 when I was born. A full blown 2BR/1B starter home. After my sister was born, they upgraded to a 3BR/2B four years later, my dad having gone from pizza delivery to parcel delivery driver.

Is that possible today, given the expected average wages of these two occupations?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
bwip.... bwip....

https://www.longtermtrends.net/home-price-median-annual-income-ratio/

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Bob you know better than to ignore interest rate effects
“House prices have went up a lot but do you have any idea what mortgage rates were at the start of your comp, 1980? Super high. Look at mortgage payments relative to disposable income:
Significantly down since 1980.”

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I feel like there has been a ton of growth in the top end of income, and in certain localities a fair amount on the bottom. But man, it seems like the bog standard analyst (or whatever the equivalent is in your profession) has been around 70-100K for the past 20 years. I don't know how to pull the data for that though.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Like, RIGHT NOW is a hard time to buy. But progress really was made since 1980 until basically 2022/2023.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

pmchem posted:

Good lord is that actually your argument? In 1980, the median house price was $64,000. Lets say 20% down, or $51,200. And wow, 1980 has mortgage rates of about 16%, very high! Your monthly price on a 30y fixed would be $689, which is a lot for your $21,000 median income (or $1750/mo).

That's $689 / $1750, or almost 40% of your monthly income (ignoring taxes for the moment)!

So let's see how hard that was compared to today. Today, the median house price is $416,000, so a $332,000 mortgage assuming we can still make the 20% down, at today's rate of 8.6%. That's $2,583 a month, more obviously, but our wage has risen to $74,500 on average! That's $6200/mo (again, ignoring taxes).

That's $2583 / $6200, or wait, 41.6% of your monthly income. That number is higher than the other number already, and that's before looking at anything else, like the fact that more households are now two-income vs one, or the fact that education and food inflation has far outstripped the dumb rear end "CPI" metric, or the fact that the downpayment is larger relative to those median incomes.

Those are the best possible numbers for your outlook, and they already say that at best housing has only become slightly less affordable. There's just no way to manipulate those numbers to say that it's easier to buy a house today than in 1980.

Or just look at these instead of using the random medians lol

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 7, 2023

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

pmchem posted:

This is only true if you ignore the rest of what people have to spend money on. Food, energy, transportation, fuel, education, healthcare, taxes, childcare. Your analysis is totally ignoring how affordable these other things are.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

pmchem posted:

Yes, shelter is part of CPI and has went up more than the composite index but if you’re taking about whether it’s easier to afford shelter, you can’t just ignore income changes. Look again at the plot of median personal income divided by cpi shelter. Median income has increased faster than shelter costs, since 1980 (or most other starting points).

As an aside, this is one reason why people hated the stagflation of the 70s so much: housing was getting much less affordable for a period there.

e: bob I also linked mortgage payments relative to disposable income, if you don’t like cpi shelter.

The housing market sucks right now but I’m amazed that people refuse to concede to plain data that affordability got better over 40 years. Gotta take some emotion out of the analysis.

If I show you this graph and claim housing has gotten more affordable since 1990, I hope you can see why it's misleading:

I think this is one of those cases where zooming in very tight on the measure of center, and ignoring the spread, is going to give the wrong impression. It's uncontroversial that there has been increasing variance in incomes in the US since the 80s, and it's harder to say what housing price variance has done but i'd wager it has gone down as new builds have concentrated in the luxury segment and cheap land close to employment centers has dried up. You can see how this squeezes people who are below the median: there are more people who make, say, 80% or less of the median income, and fewer houses selling for less than 80% of the median price. Meanwhile, people who were at or above the median income might be paying the same or a bit less, but those people were not overly worried about housing affordability before and they still aren't now. So I still think your insistence we have to take median income into account is wrong; housing affordability might be the same or even a little bit better for everyone but it can still be much worse for the people who worry about housing affordability, which is mostly not the people at or above the median income.

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 7, 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I mean the “disposable” income comparison series takes care of that but also the chart was posted earlier showing that shelter outpaced cpi as a whole, so my second plot has no problem with that either.

i’m happy at least that people have stopped arguing that real personal income didn’t go up over time

e: was replying 2 posts up. people keep moving goalposts about which affordability matters. i think median is a good point of discussion because it’s too hard to find data elsewhere and it’s the metric relevant to the average joe

pmchem fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 7, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
no, your ansatz is always power law for economic quantities and you dont have a meaningful variance most of the time

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 7, 2023

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

pmchem posted:

I mean the “disposable” income comparison series takes care of that but also the chart was posted earlier showing that shelter outpaced cpi as a whole, so my second plot has no problem with that either.

i’m happy at least that people have stopped arguing that real personal income didn’t go up over time

It only went up if you measure it relative to an inflation metric that ignores the largest expenses people have (shelter, food, transportation, education)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

You can't have the explicit policy goal of decades of telling millions of your citizens that they should treat their home as the single most important asset and wealth building vehicle, while also having "affordable" housing. Housing becoming significantly more affordable for people, especially people on the lower end of the income spectrum, would require a lot more supply being built, driving down prices of existing housing assets. Boomers who have spent decades building their home equity would take significant haircuts.

The political powers won't do this, because after billionaires the only other people elected officials give a poo poo about is wealthy Boomers. The actual large scale reforms that would need to happen to see a relative decrease in what people pay for shelter will never happen, because the people who own that shelter now don't want to see it happen. Instead we'll muddle along for another 20 years as the Boomers die off and there's a massive wealth transfer to Millennials, followed by the winners (people with wealthy and house-wealthy parents) predictably pulling the ladder up behind them. In 2033 I predict that a lot of currently 37 year old Bernie voters will suddenly discover the religion of NIMBY and be deeply concerned about property values and how density upzoning is "not right for this neighborhood".